• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Ingles as an equipment trial before Camino Frances

Elayne Nicholas

Time of past OR future Camino
April '17. Likely Portuguese coastal.
Hi All -I am new to the forum and most grateful for your expertise and advice. My plan is to solo walk the Camino Frances beginning mid September 2015. I'm from New York and will be in Europe late March 2015 and thought that perhaps I could do an "equipment, boot and clothing " test on the Camino Ingles in early April. I'd begin in Ferrol. I'm 61, very fit, have been training for about a year to date. I look forward to your thoughts.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Elayne .
This is a good intention of you to start as a trial on the camino Ingles. I agree with Mendiwalker.
You wo'nt regret it.
If you have time-and I know New Yorkers have plenty of :), read back some time on this great forum and feel what others experienced before you.

Buen camino y abrazos deste lado del mundo

Welcome Elayne .
This is a good intention of you to start as a trial on the camino Ingles. I agree with Mendiwalker.
You wo'nt regret it.
If you have time-and I know New Yorkers have plenty of :), read back some time on this great forum and feel what others experienced before you.

Welcome Elayne .
You wo'nt regret it.

Thanks so very much. I'm looking forward to both experiences. And yes reading through the forum posts has been incredibly helpful. FYI - left. " the City " a while back - now living the rural life in the gorgeous FingerLakes which allows for much hiking Very Best Regards!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum. You should have no problem with the Camino Ingles. It´s a very nice and easy walk. Hope you enjoy it.

Ondo Ibili !
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I am seriously excited about both journeys Very best to you -

Thanks so very much. I'm looking forward to both experiences. And yes reading through the forum posts has been incredibly helpful. FYI - left. " the City " a while back - now living the rural life in the gorgeous FingerLakes which allows for much hiking Very Best Regards!
So no more the always rushing Manhattan crowds :)
Bom caminho !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Elayne! I think that is a great idea.

I am among those who also plan to start on the Camino Francés in September 2015. Buen Camino and maybe I will see you on "The Way".

I am among those who also plan to start on the Camino Francés in September 2015. Buen Camino and maybe I will see you on "The Way".
Excellent ! I feel as if it has already begun when I hike daily. Wonder if others are experiencing that. Regards.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A great idea, for the Camino itself and as preparation for the Francés. I walked the Inglés as my first Camino, then the Primitivo. The Inglés has many of the challenges of the other Caminos (hills, tracks, mud and tarmac) and Galicia is beautiful. It will help to teat your boots, pack weight and waterproofs (probably) without being too long if anything isn't just as you want it. As with the other Caminos I would say - don't try to walk too far the first day, we aimed for Neda/Narón, then you can walk longer days if you wish. Hopefully you have downloaded Johnnie's guide from the resources section, that will help you plan ahead.
Buen Camino

Tha
A great idea, for the Camino itself and as preparation for the Francés. I walked the Inglés as my first Camino, then the Primitivo. The Inglés has many of the challenges of the other Caminos (hills, tracks, mud and tarmac) and Galicia is beautiful. It will help to teat your boots, pack weight and waterproofs (probably) without being too long if anything isn't just as you want it. As with the other Caminos I would say - don't try to walk too far the first day, we aimed for Neda/Narón, then you can walk longer days if you wish. Hopefully you have downloaded Johnnie's guide from the resources section, that will help you plan ahead.
Buen Camino
Thank you so much and excellent advice. Yes I have downloaded Johnnie's guide Very best to you !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did the same using the Ingles to test if I was up to the Frances. Got to SDC (which I like a lot) and found that the urge to continue was too strong so I walked to Finisterre! I have been a Camino addict ever since with this forum being my daily link to reality while I am merely existing in this everyday life! :) Yes, the Ingles has it's challenges. As Tia said it gives a little of everything you meet on the Frances and is a good test bed. Disfruta!

I did the same using the Ingles to test if I was up to the Frances. Got to SDC (which I like a lot) and found that the urge to continue was too strong so I walked to Finisterre! I have been a Camino addict ever since with this forum being my daily link to reality while I am merely existing in this everyday life! :) Yes, the Ingles has it's challenges. As Tia said it gives a little of everything you meet on the Frances and is a good test bed. Disfruta!
Thanks so much Al. I'm beginning to feel that sense already of different spheres of realities and I haven't yet bought my boots/ shoes. The need to do this fascinates me. Cheers and thanks so much again for your thoughtful comments .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Elayne, welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy the Ingles. I'm thinking of walking it myself during my Easterbreak in the beginning of April so maybe we will meet. I have done some research on the Ingles and it seems to be quite challenging in Places, but also very beautiful.

Buen Camino
Thanks so much Tia

Hi Elayne, welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy the Ingles. I'm thinking of walking it myself during my Easterbreak in the beginning of April so maybe we will meet. I have done some research on the Ingles and it seems to be quite challenging in Places, but also very beautiful.
Hi Ekelund. I shall surely get in touch closer to my departure. Would be lovely to see you on the Ingles Way. Very best, Elayne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a beautiful camino. You encounter some steep hills but you also encounter a beautiful landscape .
We walked it in a week with a maximum of 20 kms a day.
El Ferrol to Neda
Neda to Pontedeume
Pontedeume to Miño
Miño to Betanzos
Betanzos to bar Julia. Slept at o Meson Novo in O Meson Novo
Bar Julia to Ordes (off camino. Detour of about 3 kms)
Ordes to Siguëiro
Siguëiro to Santiago.

Should do it again. recommended !

Buen camino og venlige hilsninger

Ve
It is a beautiful camino. You encounter some steep hills but you also encounter a beautiful landscape .
We walked it in a week with a maximum of 20 kms a day.
El Ferrol to Neda
Neda to Pontedeume
Pontedeume to Miño
Miño to Betanzos
Betanzos to bar Julia. Slept at o Meson Novo in O Meson Novo
Bar Julia to Ordes (off camino. Detour of about 3 kms)
Ordes to Siguëiro
Siguëiro to Santiago.

Should do it again. recommended !

Buen camino og venlige hilsninger
Very helpful suggested itinerary that looks like it will work well for me. Many thanks. E

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The start of the walk through Ferrol is not inspiring. Obviously if you find a hotel that is on the way out off Ferrol you could walk from the start to there the evening before and get a head start on the day.

The start of the walk through Ferrol is not inspiring. Obviously if you find a hotel that is on the way out off Ferrol you could walk from the start to there the evening before and get a head start on the day.
That is true Al but we did it in a different way. Not everybody shall do so.
We drove our car and caravan to Valdoviño ,north of Ferrol.
Left the vehicules there and the camping owner took us to the Ferrol harbour from where we walked
coming back after a week we drove to Portugal ,Spain and France and arrived back home in Holland after over two month traveling around.as far as Sevilla we went. Out and back home about 5000 miles.

Next May we will fly to Porto and walk from there to Santiago .

Last edited:
Ve

Very helpful suggested itinerary that looks like it will work well for me. Many thanks. E
Ask Antonio of o Meson Novo to pick you up at bar Julia and take you back the next morning from there you walk up a steep hill

We decided to walk to Ordes, off camino and stayed in the hotel at the central Square. From there it was a 3 km detour to pick up the waymarking direction Sigueiro. Don't forget to take a safetyvest with you because this detour is alongside the road on the pictureimage.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All -I am new to the forum and most grateful for your expertise and advice. My plan is to solo walk the Camino Frances beginning mid September 2015. I'm from New York and will be in Europe late March 2015 and thought that perhaps I could do an "equipment, boot and clothing " test on the Camino Ingles in early April. I'd begin in Ferrol. I'm 61, very fit, have been training for about a year to date. I look forward to your thoughts.
Elaine, Welcome to what will be your home; if not this group, more importantly the path you will follow.

I am 20 years younger than you are, and prehaps close to 100 pounds heavier than what you are.

Stop 'training', and wasting money on a test.

Unless you make that test a true experience. And unless it is to test your back with 20 pounds on it due to illness, to an upcoming heel spurr. Do Not Get Me Started! But you don't need to ship yourself to Spain to know that: hit the Adirondacks or Catskills for a single day.

You are fine. In SJPP you may huff and puff, but you'll be fine... that is ...

Just get shoe you are comfy in, the correct orthodicts (will not preven heel spurs!), use Tano or lemon juice on your feet and later a softer and be happy as you keep taking care of your feet. Don't race, respect the feet.

Until this year, witgh the heel spurr, I never made shorter journeys than others. I just got there a bit later.

Smile, enjoy, and do not fear. Just get out there, as long as you know your feet as fine for a while and you know how to look aftr them.

If you have the time, stay at Covas on your first night, and walk around the headland into Ferrol. Its about 28km, has some lovely stretches along the coastline then past some of the old coastal defence fortifications along the Rio Ferrol. I did it earlier this year, doing the following stages:
  • Covas to Ferrol
  • Ferrol to Pontedeume
  • Pontedeume to Betanzos
  • Betanzos to Bruma
  • Bruma to Siguëiro
  • Siguëiro to Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have the time, stay at Covas on your first night, and walk around the headland into Ferrol. Its about 28km, has some lovely stretches along the coastline then past some of the old coastal defence fortifications along the Rio Ferrol. I did it earlier this year, doing the following stages:
  • Covas to Ferrol
  • Ferrol to Pontedeume
  • Pontedeume to Betanzos
  • Betanzos to Bruma
  • Bruma to Siguëiro
  • Siguëiro to Santiago
Thank you Doug . The coastal walk into Ferrol sounds a lovely way to begin. Best regards, Elayne

Ask Antonio of o Meson Novo to pick you up at bar Julia and take you back the next morning from there you walk up a steep hill

We decided to walk to Ordes, off camino and stayed in the hotel at the central Square. From there it was a 3 km detour to pick up the waymarking direction Sigueiro. Don't forget to take a safetyvest with you because this detour is alongside the road on the pictureView attachment 14725
Ps. The suggestion of the safety vest is really smart. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Elayne.
Our itinerary was almost the same as Albertinho's and next year we plan to do similar again. Our one difference is that we spent and will spend 2 nights at O Méson Novo and then folow the Camino route to Calle de Poulo before turning off to walk to Ordés for the night, returning to the Camino next day and Sigueiro.
This was my 'test' Camino and holds a special place but in no way detracted from my next Camino, I think it made it better.
We carry lightweight mesh safety vests for road walking and they are also obligatory in the dark on country roads, certainly in Galicia. Be seen and be safe.
Buen Camino

H
Hola Elayne.
Our itinerary was almost the same as Albertinho's and next year we plan to do similar again. Our one difference is that we spent and will spend 2 nights at O Méson Novo and then folow the Camino route to Calle de Poulo before turning off to walk to Ordés for the night, returning to the Camino next day and Sigueiro.
This was my 'test' Camino and holds a special place but in no way detracted from my next Camino, I think it made it better.
We carry lightweight mesh safety vests for road walking and they are also obligatory in the dark on country roads, certainly in Galicia. Be seen and be safe.
Buen Camino
Hi Tia - the info on the mesh vests has been helpful along with the route suggestions . I'm planning for the Ingles late Match/ early April and then the whole Camino Frances beginning about 15 Sep in 2015. I'm hoping to also walk Le Puy after that. Uh. Oh. I may become a serial walker. Best, Elayne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi again Mike- my Sept departure date from SJPP is around 15 Sept. Planning on walking to Santiago. E

Hola Elayne.
Buen Camino
Ha ha tia Valeria ! I copied your last year's plan :)
So we are turning 'round and 'round in circles !
But anyway a great,great walk.

Hi again Mike- my Sept departure date from SJPP is around 15 Sept. Planning on walking to Santiago. E

I plan to start walking September 7th and will be in no particular hurry though I sometimes have trouble convincing my feet of that fact!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I plan to start walking September 7th and will be in no particular hurry though I sometimes have trouble convincing my feet of that fact!
Hard to predict what it may be - it's all just potential right now. But exciting as heck !

@dougfitz - Did you stay overnight in Covas, or did you have to stay in Ferrol and get transport out before walking back into Ferrol. Our planning for next year might give us time to start in Covas after arriving in Ferrol. :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back