• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Portugues in November/December

juliagabrielle

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2019)
Hello everyone
I am wondering if it is possible to walk this route in winter, both in terms of weather and places to stay. And what I should expect to encounter in terms of weather conditions. Would you suggest this route or another route during this time of year? It's my first camino.
Thank you for your help!
Julia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you planning to walk from Lisbon or porto?
I split my route in 2 for time reasons but walked Porto to SdeC in January. That was very do able. Not every albergue is open but in the major stops they were, and most were warm. The weather could be the issue and if a nasty weather front came in it can be useful to be able to change schedule rather than walk in gale force winds and rain if you happen to get a storm. There were other pilgrims but the most I saw in one day was 5 getting closer to SdeC. It can get cold with frost but normally is pleasant enough to walk in day. Pilgrims also rely on existing cafes so these were more often open. And much 9f the route is semi urban through villages. Lisbon to porto may be a little trickier for accommodation but possible if you can have some extra money for a cheap b&b some nights.
I also walked parts of Frances route in winter and there were probably a few more pilgrims but not many more. Availability of bars in some rural places that people have opened pilgrim type businesses on the CF meant they were closed in off season.

We walked the Coastal + Variante Espiritaul in the second half of Jan this year. Was expecting much worse, was pleasantly surpised about the open and warm albergues and relatively good weather. Temperature range between +3 to +12C, some rains, mostly drizzle, one day walking in a downpour, plenty of sunshine as well. Take a normal sleeping bag, rain gear and some warm clothes for the albergues. All the municipal albergeues are open, some private as well. We cooked every day but there were options to eat out. Not so many bars are open on the way in Jan, so plan accordingly. Some people on the way, we even managed to form a Camino family and walk together, and later met more when we joined the Central way in Redondela, some walking from Lisbon. Loved this Camino a lot! Will walk in winter in the future if I have a chance. My blog on Coastal from Porto in Jan, later day by day account, could google transate, pics are internationa :) https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5371.html

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you that's helpful- how long did it take you to walk the Coastal and Variante Espiritaul? Was it much nature along this route? Where did you start?
I have about 3-4 weeks to walk
Thank you

I'm planning to walk the Portuguese in November, too, starting in Porto. This is my first time in Portugal so I'm not here to give advice; just here to listen in on the answers. Thanks for asking the question!

Of course, we can't predict the weather, so I'm willing to make adjustments if the weather is just awful. I don't mind a little rain, but I have my limits. Not sure what I'll do if the weather forecast is non-stop rain for a week.

From what I understand, the Central route might be more social, so I'm inclined to mostly do that route. Maybe the first day out of Porto along the coast? to Vila do Conde, right, and then there's a way to cut over to Arcos and the Central? How well marked is that route, does anyone know?

Sorry to high-jack your thread; I can start my own if necessary.

to Vila do Conde, right, and then there's a way to cut over to Arcos and the Central? How well marked is that route, does anyone know?

I just discovered a post from Saturday with a maps.me link for the this route. Thanks to trecile. I'm still trying to figure out how to download it to my cellphone. Ugh! I can do this!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone
I am wondering if it is possible to walk this route in winter, both in terms of weather and places to stay. And what I should expect to encounter in terms of weather conditions. Would you suggest this route or another route during this time of year? It's my first camino.
Thank you for your help!
Julia
Hello Julia,
I went from Porto to Santiago via the inland route in late-November/early-December 2016 and the weather was ideal for walking - sunny, clear, and around 16 degrees C every day except one. And as it happened, on the one day that it did rain, I'd planned a rest to go to the wonderful market in Barcelos, so no problem. I'd expected a fair bit of rain, especially in Galicia, but it didn't happen. Is this the new norm? Was it luck? Climate change? Obviously we can't know, all I can say is that the conditions were consistently the best for any of the Caminos I've walked.
The route itself is beautiful, a terrific walk, not very difficult but with enough reasonable climbs to provide the occasional heart-starter, great and varied scenery. The people and the cafes couldn't have been nicer. Unlike the Frances there were very few peregrinos, only a handful each day.
You might want to have a look at accommodation availability because places were starting to close for the winter. I stayed in pensiones, rural casas, small hotels, etc, which were all excellent and very good value.
Overall it was a wonderful experience.
Bom caminho,
Wes

Last edited:
Thank you that's helpful- how long did it take you to walk the Coastal and Variante Espiritaul? Was it much nature along this route? Where did you start?
I have about 3-4 weeks to walk
Thank you
12 days walking the Coastal + Espiritual. We walked the 3rd day there on the Espiritual, although most people take a boat there and save a day. Yes, Espiriatual is very scenic, even the 3rd day as well. We started in Matosinhos in Porto because we previously walked the from Se/Cathedral to there - nice walk along the river, no industrial zones. You can also start from Lisbon if you have 3-4 weeks athough it would have a solitary feel about it till Porto in this time of the year. Make sure you are ok about walking on your own if you decide on it, you might still meet pilgrims in the albergues at the end of the day though - I walked between Santarem and Porto at the end of Oct, met some people and we walked together till Porto. From Porto onwards there always people on the route, the Central usually has more. If you prefer some company then start from Porto, the Central way would have more infrastrucure and more pilgrims, the Coastal is more scenic. On my first Camino I walked the first day to Vila do Conde along the coast then swtched to the central way, so enjoyed both. Also if you have so much time on your hands, then you could also walk to Finisterra and Muxia after Santiago - that would take you 4-5 days, or Ingles. Both routes are operational at this time of the year and have pilgrims. Or do the whole/part of Frances. For the first timer that is definitely the easiest option.

Last edited:
I just discovered a post from Saturday with a maps.me link for the this route. Thanks to trecile. I'm still trying to figure out how to download it to my cellphone. Ugh! I can do this!
hi Cat did you get that download done?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
By winter you will likely be a lone pilgrim quite a bit and it is only about a twelve day walk from Porto to Santiago. Is that what you are looking for in your Camino experience?

Hello everyone
I'm planning to walk the Portuguese way, Costal + Espiritual, starting on 29th September in Porto
Do I need a sleeping bag or it's enough a sleeping liner?
I'm a big, massive guy, I do better with the cold than with the heat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone
I'm planning to walk the Portuguese way, Costal + Espiritual, starting on 29th September in Porto
Do I need a sleeping bag or it's enough a sleeping liner?
I'm a big, massive guy, I do better with the cold than with the heat

Hi there!
Welcome to your first post!

You might get more luck with an answer if you start a new thread 😉

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back