• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking camino portuguese from tui

Stefystar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi everyone,
Is there are any forum followers going to be on the road from Tui on 7th sept?..
It would be nice to know... I will be there....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Starting from Porto on 8th ..hoping to be in Santiago by 15th . May cross your path along the way :)

Starting from Porto on 8th ..hoping to be in Santiago by 15th . May cross your path along the way :)
Hi Pablo Mac,
Wow, that's impressive covering that distance within a week. Are you doing the central Portuguese route or the coastal one?
There are a few starting out from Porto on the 8th. I'm starting on the 15th myself.
Best of luck & enjoy!
Eims

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
Is there are any forum followers going to be on the road from Tui on 7th sept?..
It would be nice to know... I will be there....
Hi Stefystar,
I'm starting a week behind you from Porto. However I'm sure there will be plenty of folk passing through Tui with you!
Enjoy and buen camino!

Hi Stefystar ,I wish ! Buen Camino, so much to see, do and enjoy, ( don't miss the bakery just before the Albergue in O' Porrino ) , ohhh just imagining make my feet itch . Tui, O'Porrino, Redondela, Caldas de Reis, Pontevedra, Padron , Teo .... poetry to me ! Have a wonderful trip.

Hi Pablo Mac,
Wow, that's impressive covering that distance within a week. Are you doing the central Portuguese route or the coastal one?
There are a few starting out from Porto on the 8th. I'm starting on the 15th myself.
Best of luck & enjoy!
Eims
Hi Eims, I am starting from Porto with my wife on 17th Sept or 18th Sept taking the Central route and starting from point D on the Brierly map at Vilar Do Pinheiro. So hopefully we will meet along the way when the 2 routes merge. Arriving in Porto on Friday 16th Sept and still unsure whether to find fellow pilgrims in a hostel or do an AIRBNB. Buen Camino Ger

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Eims, I am starting from Porto with my wife on 17th Sept or 18th Sept taking the Central route and starting from point D on the Brierly map at Vilar Do Pinheiro. So hopefully we will meet along the way when the 2 routes merge. Arriving in Porto on Friday 16th Sept and still unsure whether to find fellow pilgrims in a hostel or do an AIRBNB. Buen Camino Ger
Hi Ger, will keep my eye out for you both so! :)
I know what you mean about choosing a place to stay. I booked into a budget hotel with the hope of getting a good nights sleep before commencing my camino. To be honest, I am a little bit scarred from some 'memorable' stays in hostels while backpacking in Oz many years ago. So, am planning on staying in a mixture of hotels and alberques, along the way.
Safe travels and buen camino to you too!
Eims

Hi! I am arriving in Porto on Sunday 18th September and will stay in an AirBnB near the airport. I start walking on 20th Sept. and follow the coastal way. Maybe we'll meet up :)

I know what you mean about choosing a place to stay. I booked into a budget hotel with the hope of getting a good nights sleep before commencing my camino. To be honest, I am a little bit scarred from some 'memorable' stays in hostels while backpacking in Oz many years ago. So, am planning on staying in a mixture of hotels and alberques, along the way.
Eims
Hi Eims,
No worries I have booked an AIRBNB for 2 nights to see a little of Porto before we set off. Still not 100% sure whether to take Coastal or Internal route. So might decide based on weather as we get closer to 18th September. Hopefully we will meet you somewhere along the line. Ger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pablo Mac,
Best of luck & enjoy!
Eims

Goodluck to all of you,I am I santiago now...had fantastic
Weather. ..hope you will enjoy he camino.i was in Porrino,
Just a day or 2 before the train accident. How sad...
Buen camino

Goodluck to all of you,I am I santiago now...had fantastic
Weather. ..hope you will enjoy he camino.i was in Porrino,
Just a day or 2 before the train accident. How sad...
Buen camino
Thanks Stefystar, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it and that you got there safely. I'm just starting mine and in true Irish style, it's raining here in Porto! Buen camino to everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Pablo mac,
How are you doing?
Are you near santiago?

Eims

Hi guys,
I just joined this forum and will be flying into Porto later today. Will be staying in a hostel for 2-3 nights before starting the Camino. Hope to see you along the way or sooner if anyone wants to meet up this weekend. I haven't looked at where to officially start yet or get the Camino passport. Anyone know that?
Thanks,
Matt

Kurt,

You can get the credencial at the cathedral,where you can also pick up the arrows if you want to start walking from there.

Pick a route, and just start walking. No official starting points.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi guys,
I just joined this forum and will be flying into Porto later today. Will be staying in a hostel for 2-3 nights before starting the Camino. Hope to see you along the way or sooner if anyone wants to meet up this weekend. I haven't looked at where to officially start yet or get the Camino passport. Anyone know that?
Thanks,
Matt

Sé Cathedral, open 09:00 to 18:00 in September, from October onwards lunch break from 12:30 to 14:30
The cathedral is also the traditional starting point in Porto.
Buen Camino, SY

Hiya Matt,
For what it's worth I got the metro from Trindade station to Matasinos (Mercado stop) and began mine there. Some other threads on this forum had alot of info on the coastal route from Porto which I found really handy, too. Sorry I don't have the links to the threads.
Best of luck and Buon Camino! ☺

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Matt:

Inside the door of the Cathedral in Porto there is a desk where you can pick up your credencial and first stamp. It might cost you a Euro or two.

I think the three most popular ways of starting out from Porto are:
1. Start at the Cathedral and follow the yellow arrows through the city. The first arrow is a the top of the stairs just outside the Cathedral door.
2. Take the subway to Matosinhos, cross the bridge, and head to the coast. You can walk up the coast and then head inland to the main route at a number of different points.
3. Follow the river in Porto to the ocean (keeping the river on your left), and turn right when you reach the ocean. Starting at the Cathedral, it is probably 13-14 kms along this route to get to Matosinhos.

I have taken the first two routes, and they both work just fine, although walking through the city (#1) is obviously a much more urban experience. I remember reading on this forum that someone said that starting out along the river (#3) was one of their favourite days on the Camino.

Enjoy!

Hi, Pablo mac,
How are you doing?
Are you near santiago?

Hola Stefystar

Made it to Santiago alright, got in around 12 midday on thurs 15th . I started in Barcelos . Alas,I am now back home in Ireland wishing I booked more time off ! What a beautiful route though ,with some amazing pilgrims, thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering a week to 10 days :) 20160909_172739.jpg

Hi Matt:

Inside the door of the Cathedral in Porto there is a desk where you can pick up your credencial and first stamp. It might cost you a Euro or two.

I think the three most popular ways of starting out from Porto are:
1. Start at the Cathedral and follow the yellow arrows through the city. The first arrow is a the top of the stairs just outside the Cathedral door.
2. Take the subway to Matosinhos, cross the bridge, and head to the coast. You can walk up the coast and then head inland to the main route at a number of different points.
3. Follow the river in Porto to the ocean (keeping the river on your left), and turn right when you reach the ocean. Starting at the Cathedral, it is probably 13-14 kms along this route to get to Matosinhos.

I have taken the first two routes, and they both work just fine, although walking through the city (#1) is obviously a much more urban experience. I remember reading on this forum that someone said that starting out along the river (#3) was one of their favourite days on the Camino.

Enjoy!
The city walk out of Porto is not a nice experience ,walking on hard shoulders of busy roads. But as lots of people take the metro to Matosinhos to start there, you could take the metro to Fórum Maia close by the airport of Porto and walk from there in a real rural area.
After about 12 kms from there you find the beautiful Mosteiro de Vairão -an albergue in a monastry. Carla is a lovely hospitaleiro upthere.
From Vairão it is a nice 15 km walk to São Pedro de Rates where is the next albergue and you are on the central route
See the from about 7:20 minutes of my video about Vairão and on to Rates and ending at Casa Fernanda-the place to be on the caminho Português central.

Last edited:
Hola Stefystar

Made it to Santiago alright, got in around 12 midday on thurs 15th . I started in Barcelos . Alas,I am now back home in Ireland wishing I booked more time off ! What a beautiful route though ,with some amazing pilgrims, thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering a week to 10 days :) View attachment 29175
Hi Matt,
I am glad you liked the camino! I was really pleased to have done it, as I was never alone, but I did not have the crowd of the Frances. I thought I would miss it, but no,
It was a good lone walking, giving me time to interact with the other pilgrims, but also to grow in my experience.
I am back one week, after spending some time in porto and fatima. Like you, I wish to plan a longer time...

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back