• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Portuguese in Winter (January/ February 2022) - Looking for advice

Conan_33

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on walking the Camino Portuguese. My brother and I aim to walk the central route from Lisbon in February.

We are concerned over the current situation regarding Covid-19 and also whether or not there will be accomodation (albergues/private hostels) available at the end of each days walk.

Has anyone got some information regarding the current situation on the Portuguese way and 2022? Winter is the only time we can walk this route, but is this going to be a problem? We would consider opting for the Camino Frances if necessary. Any general advice for walking in January/February?

Thanks

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will tell you what everyone observes: the current situation is not an indicator of what will happen several months down the road.
You are going to need to pay attention to your local travel advisories from your government, and to the Portuguese regulations as well.
Right now, I’m personally pretty hopeful, but at the best of times (not winter) Lisbon to Coimbra is known to have fewer resources.
Stay tuned and see if you can join a Camino Portugues specific group on a platform like Facebook.

Having walked from Porto in Janaury pre-Covid I had no issues with finding somewhere to stay and would suspect the same to be fairly much the case even with covid, (unless regulations dramatically change). There will likely be need to stay in pension etc at some points so some extra in the budget is useful. However, leaving from Lisbon is more tricky and there are sections with more limited accomodation even in "season" and it will probably require some planning and phoning ahead to check or booking accomodation. But it is also Portugal so it is always possible to use public transport or take a taxi if there is a long section without accomodation.

As for winter conditions on the CAmino Portugues its worth doing a search on the forum as the topic has come up a few times. But it can be cold, it can be wet, it can be pleasant, it can be windy. Some accomodation will be warm and cosy, other places cold. So come prepared!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Conan_33,
Welcome to the forum.

For general advice re walking in winter on any camino do scan this earlier thread

Whenever you do walk, wherever you go
Buen camino to you and your brother!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having walked from Porto in Janaury pre-Covid I had no issues with finding somewhere to stay and would suspect the same to be fairly much the case even with covid, (unless regulations dramatically change). There will likely be need to stay in pension etc at some points so some extra in the budget is useful. However, leaving from Lisbon is more tricky and there are sections with more limited accomodation even in "season" and it will probably require some planning and phoning ahead to check or booking accomodation. But it is also Portugal so it is always possible to use public transport or take a taxi if there is a long section without accomodation.

As for winter conditions on the CAmino Portugues its worth doing a search on the forum as the topic has come up a few times. But it can be cold, it can be wet, it can be pleasant, it can be windy. Some accomodation will be warm and cosy, other places cold. So come prepared!
Thanks for your reply

January/February can be a very cold, wet time in central Portugal, from Lisboa north to Porto. And you may find you have to stay in small hotels more than you would, later in the season. You are unlikely to see many pilgrims.

We have just returned from staying in Vila Nova da Barquinha, 5 days north of Lisboa on the caminho. We look down the hill at the main walking route, and see the pilgrims walking through from Golega, typically about 10 am. September has been nice weather, and we have only seen 2 or 3 a day walking through right now, at most.

Many small lodgings close during the winter anyway; with this little demand, I suspect more of them than previously will choose to close. But the very small, not-likely-to-be-on-booking.com and similar, hotels that the Portuguese itinerant workers use are likely still to be open, and have rooms.

Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
January/February can be a very cold, wet time in central Portugal, from Lisboa north to Porto. And you may find you have to stay in small hotels more than you would, later in the season. You are unlikely to see many pilgrims.

We have just returned from staying in Vila Nova da Barquinha, 5 days north of Lisboa on the caminho. We look down the hill at the main walking route, and see the pilgrims walking through from Golega, typically about 10 am. September has been nice weather, and we have only seen 2 or 3 a day walking through right now, at most.

Many small lodgings close during the winter anyway; with this little demand, I suspect more of them than previously will choose to close. But the very small, not-likely-to-be-on-booking.com and similar, hotels that the Portuguese itinerant workers use are likely still to be open, and have rooms.

Bom caminho!
Hi thanks for your reply.

Hi all, I am looking for some advice on walking the Camino Portuguese. My brother and I aim to walk the central route from Lisbon in February.

We are concerned over the current situation regarding Covid-19 and also whether or not there will be accomodation (albergues/private hostels) available at the end of each days walk.

Has anyone got some information regarding the current situation on the Portuguese way and 2022? Winter is the only time we can walk this route, but is this going to be a problem? We would consider opting for the Camino Frances if necessary. Any general advice for walking in January/February?

Thanks
Hey Conan! Can you share some of your experiences?

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back