• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Portuguese march/april 2018

Butterfly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June/July 2015 with Jam
Starting Camino Frances 11 April 2018 :)
Hi fellow Pilgrims,

wondering if anybody has walked the Camino Portuguese in March/April from Lisbon and what was your experience regarding weather and what to bring . Also was there any others walking. I've walked the camino frances in June/July and it was super warm and busy - just wondering what to expect :)

Thanks
Erika

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Erika and smp My wife and I will start the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on 27 March 2018. We are planning to reach Santiago by 23 March 2018.
Last year we did the CF from Pamplona and we also started in the last week of April and we only had 20 minutes of rain for 5 weeks.

Hi Erika, I walked from Santaren to Porto in late Oct and even out of season there were people on the route. It is just getting popular but it's not really busy yet, maybe in some eyars. Can't say about the weather in Mar but I walked from Porto to Santiago in late Apr and the weather was pleasant. Even in late Oct is was warm, sometimes hot and sunny and I regret not having taken shorts with me. Be aware of the long distances betwen the towns there, make sure you have enough water with you and maybe some snacks. You can walk for kilometers at a time without any cafe in sight, especially before Coimbra. Porto to Santiago was easier in many respects in comparison.

Regarding accommodation on the route: Santarem, I started there: Casa de Misericordia, a bed in a double room for about 5 euros, kitchen, great place! There is a good hostel 2300 Tomar in the centre of town. Alvaiazere: Albergaria Pinheiro - small one, rooms for 2 people or private ones, stamps to rememer :) Rabacal: go to the private one, at Cafe Bonito, brand new, have a swimming pool. Coimbra: Rainha Santa Isabel, before crossing the river to the city, huge, old and atmospheric. Mealhada: Alb Hilario, check if they have hot water in the dormitories, we didn't but the ones staying in private rooms did. Agueda: probably the best albergue on the Portuguese way, Alb St Antonio. Slightly out of town but worth it, still on the way for next day. Albergaria: we went to A-Nova - almost on the highway, the town is a bit dusty and polluted. You can stay in A-Velha instead, greener and more pleasant town. Sao Joao da Madeira: we stayed in Casa da Misericordia, donation, not exactly an albergue, huge room, mattresses on the floor. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Erika. I walked from Lisbon starting in late March (26th) last year. The weather was warm - very hot at times in fact, although I think it was hotter than is usual for that time of year. I stayed at the little
Albergue in Alpriate on the first night out of Lisbon and there was a total of eight pilgrims - most of whom I didn't see again...
So there was not a big number of people walking and on quite a few days i didn't see anyone else - even sometimes on my own in an albergue. I stayed in a mix of albergue s and small hostels - in Azumbuja there was no albergue open.

For me the highlights of this walk were the beautiful towns - Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra...

Hostel Santarem was a wonderful place to stay in Santarem - I have a lovely memory of an hour sitting under a lemon tree on the patio with a book and a glass of wine....

There were some long walking days (you'll need to bring lots of water of it's warm) but the main downside for me was the road walking :(.

From Porto onwards it is a much easier route with many more pilgrims.

Bom Caminho

Hi Erika and smp My wife and I will start the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on 27 March 2018. We are planning to reach Santiago by 23 March 2018.
Last year we did the CF from Pamplona and we also started in the last week of April and we only had 20 minutes of rain for 5 weeks.

Hi Givesome

Hopefully I’ll see you on El Camino, I’m starting in Lisbon on February 26, 2018 and finishing by March 22th in Santiago.

Greetings from Sacramento, California

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all your advice - very helpful - I'll make myself a little "Abergue to stay in" list.
Not worried about the distances as when we did the camino fraces we had limited time so it was pretty much 20 miles for 25 days and some days more. I'm planning on the coastal route as the idea of walking along the ocean sounds amazing to me. Does anybody have any experience of this route?
Also, did a lightweight sleeping bag do the trick and shorts and light weight fleece + raincoat good enough or will I need to bring a warmer jacket? And sounds like not that many fountains to fill up water?

Thank you fellow pilgrims :)

Hi fellow Pilgrims,

wondering if anybody has walked the Camino Portuguese in March/April from Lisbon and what was your experience regarding weather and what to bring . Also was there any others walking. I've walked the camino frances in June/July and it was super warm and busy - just wondering what to expect :)

Thanks
Erika
Hi Erika, I will be walking Lisbon- Santiago May/June 2018 so would love you to post best and worst parts of your journey on your return.
Buen Camino! have a wonderful walk.
Julie

Maybe see you all at the coastal from Porto Matosinhos to Valença do Minho.
Starting April 17th coming.
If the weather is not that good we will start the central route from Vairão and see if we make a jump to Viana do Castelo by bus or train and continue the coastal from there.
Bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi fellow Pilgrims, wondering if anybody has walked the Camino Portuguese in March/April from Lisbon and what was your experience regarding weather and what to bring . Also was there any others walking. I've walked the camino frances in June/July and it was super warm and busy - just wondering what to expect :)

Thanks
Erika

You're gonna find two kinds of weather: quite warm and sunny from Lisbon to Porto, quite wet and either sunny/cloudy from Porto to Santiago. Unless there's a heat wave in Galicia during that period (it happened last year, not common, but could happen) you should bring clothing for heat and for rain. Temperatures in Galicia will probably reach 20 degrees, and it's gonna be quite humid. That period it's not gonna be too busy, as the Camino portugues itself is less busy than French. A personal recommendation, if you have time, hire a bike and do the coastal walk from Porto to Galicia on it. Beautiful landscape and really enjoyable path!

Thanks for all your advice - very helpful - I'll make myself a little "Abergue to stay in" list.
Not worried about the distances as when we did the camino fraces we had limited time so it was pretty much 20 miles for 25 days and some days more. I'm planning on the coastal route as the idea of walking along the ocean sounds amazing to me. Does anybody have any experience of this route?
Also, did a lightweight sleeping bag do the trick and shorts and light weight fleece + raincoat good enough or will I need to bring a warmer jacket? And sounds like not that many fountains to fill up water?

Thank you fellow pilgrims :)
I did the true coast route (senda litoral) from Porto to Santiago in june. I expected it to be warm but as you indicate the mid June experience was a heatwave. I provide advice and links in my blog which you can find at stevov.wordpress.com
Bom Caminho!

I did the true coast route (senda litoral) from Porto to Santiago in june. I expected it to be warm but as you indicate the mid June experience was a heatwave. I provide advice and links in my blog which you can find at stevov.wordpress.com
Bom Caminho!
I just read your Camino blog. What a thoughtful and informative recount of your Camino experience. My husband and I will be walking the same route in May 2018 and many of your observations/tips will be very helpful in our planning.Thank you for sharing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your reflection...also very informative. I am impressed at the minimal pack weight! Info about socks also helpful. We are excited to embark upon our pilgrimage.

Hello. I walked the Portuguese Way in late April of last year, the entire route from Lisbon to SDC via the Senda Litoral. I am still writing up the last days of my journey. I believe my website is packed with useful information to let you were exactly what to expect. Here is the link: ://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-portugues.html, The Many Ways on the Camino Portugues
Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My partner and I are locked in to commence the Lisbon to Santiago pilgrimage from March 26, 2018. Can't wait! - thoroughly enjoyed CF in Sept.2016. Good to see we won't be the only ones walking at that time of year with others like Butterfly & Givesome starting around the same time. Hopefully our paths will cross...
I love all the valuable information available on this forum!! Thx Heaps! - Julian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Planning to travel to Lisbon 28 April 2018 and start walking on 29th. First night on camino was a concern but information about albergue at Alpriate most helpful.

Hi fellow Pilgrims,

Thanks
Erika
Hello,
My wife and I walked from Lisbon to Santiago Sept.2017. From Lisbon to Porto it was very,very difficult. We are in the early sixties top shape trained everyday 15 to 25 kilometres with backpack prior leaving. Be prepared to walk on the side of highways and roads or behind warehouses and industries (not much to see).They are not set up to accomodade pilgrims, directions aren't clear thank God I had download tracks on my GPS .We could walk 20 kilometers under 95 degrees on paved road without water refill, my wife asked a lady for water she replied keep Walking in two kilometers you will have a store. Some cities have albergues but no restaurants, or some cities have no place to sleep so the owners will offer you to bring you back to thir Albergue after you day walk and he will drive you back to where he picked you up the day before. On a Sunday the only Albergue that city forgot our reservation and they said they where closed,we had to call a cab to reach next city.
I could write much more but I will suggest to start from Porto and after Santiago continue to Finistere and Muxia.
I hope this would help,sorry about my grammar ,I am French Canadian.

Welcome to the forum @Jeep500 and thank you for your useful post. It sounds like anyone planning to walk from Lisbon should research all the alternative routes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum @Jeep500 and thank you for your useful post. It sounds like anyone planning to walk from Lisbon should research all the alternative routes.

There is basically only one route from Lisbon to Porto.
The only alternatives I can think of, and which are not part of the main Caminho Portugués, are:
heading towards the coast, and Sintra, immediately from Lisbon (and very few pilgrims do that), or
heading to Fatima from Santarem, and rejoining the main route at either Tomar or Ansiao.
I’m planning on walking from Lisbon to Porto in October, staying in albergues, or similar-type hostel every night, and hope to write up a summarised report when I get back home. I have walked this caminho several times, and I just don’t understand why people complain about it. Maybe I’ve been walking it with my eyes closed. So I want to do it again with new, more aware, eyes, writing up notes as I go along.
Jill

There is basically only one route from Lisbon to Porto.
The only alternatives I can think of, and which are not part of the main Caminho Portugués, are:
heading towards the coast, and Sintra, immediately from Lisbon (and very few pilgrims do that), or
heading to Fatima from Santarem, and rejoining the main route at either Tomar or Ansiao.
I’m planning on walking from Lisbon to Porto in October, staying in albergues, or similar-type hostel every night, and hope to write up a summarised report when I get back home. I have walked this caminho several times, and I just don’t understand why people complain about it. Maybe I’ve been walking it with my eyes closed. So I want to do it again with new, more aware, eyes, writing up notes as I go along.
Jill

I couldn't agree with you more, Jill! I loved it. A few rough spots here and there, but isn't that a Camino??

We walked it last April/May and loved it too. Absolutely no difficoulties at all. So, we all see the Caminoes By different eyes.
Hope, that people don't fear this beautiful route unnecessarily.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Erika,
I hope to start from Lisbon May 21. I will be walking solo and the what I fear most is taking the wrong direction (and rain of course!) @Jeep500 comments above are worrying. @surya8 comments are great, thank you. Like others, I would appreciate your comments as you progress along the route with regard to confusing waysigns and nice albergues. Good luck.
Vincent

Thanks to everyone for their great contributions in this thread. My wife and I are hoping to do the CP next April, perhaps starting by walking out our front door in Lisbon.

Regarding accommodation on the route: There is a good hostel 2300 Tomar in the centre of town. Alvaiazere: Albergaria Pinheiro - small one, rooms for 2 people or private ones, stamps to rememer :) Rabacal: go to the private one, at Cafe Bonito, brand new, have a swimming pool. Coimbra: Rainha Santa Isabel, before crossing the river to the city, huge, old and atmospheric. Mealhada: Alb Hilario, check if they have hot water in the dormitories, we didn't but the ones staying in private rooms did. Agueda: probably the best albergue on the Portuguese way, Alb St Antonio. Slightly out of town but worth it, still on the way for next day. Albergaria: we went to A-Nova - avoid as almost on the highway, very dusty and polluted. Stay in A-Velha instead, greener and more pleasant town. Sao Joao da Madeira: we stayed in Casa da Misericordia, donation, not exactly an albergue, huge room, mattresses on the floor. Hope that helps.
Hi Surya!
I will be going Lisbon to Santiago in July or August this year, 2018. Did you book ahead at all? What are your feelings on crowds this time of year?
Thank you!
Rosemary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Surya!
I will be going Lisbon to Santiago in July or August this year, 2018. Did you book ahead at all? What are your feelings on crowds this time of year?
Thank you!
Rosemary
Didn't book anything, but that was late in the season, few people on the route. I don't think it will be that crowded though even in summer, the route is popular but not that busy, in comparison to the one from Porto onwards. Make sure you have enough water with you as I remember long stretches especially before Coimbra where cafes were not that plentiful. That could be important in summer, or ask locals for water, you can drink tap water there everywhere. Sometimes the water fountains on the way were empty.

Last edited:
Didn't book anything, but that was late in the season, few people on the route. I don't think it will be that crowded though even in summer, the route is popular but not that busy, in comparison to the one from Porto onwards. Make sure you have enough water with you as I remember long stretches especially before Coimbra where cafes were not that plentiful. That could be important in summer, or ask locals for water, you can drink tap water there everywhere. Sometimes the water fountains on the way were empty.
Thank you!

Maybe see you all at the coastal from Porto Matosinhos to Valença do Minho.
Starting April 17th coming.
If the weather is not that good we will start the central route from Vairão and see if we make a jump to Viana do Castelo by bus or train and continue the coastal from there.
Bom caminho
Hi. I am doing coastal route next April. Were there many people from Porto ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My partner and I are locked in to commence the Lisbon to Santiago pilgrimage from March 26, 2018. Can't wait! - thoroughly enjoyed CF in Sept.2016. Good to see we won't be the only ones walking at that time of year with others like Butterfly & Givesome starting around the same time. Hopefully our paths will cross...
I love all the valuable information available on this forum!! Thx Heaps! - Julian
Did you do your Camino last year. Would love to hear about it. My husband and I hope to walk Lisbon to Santiago next year 2020. We are still trying to work out the best time. Looking at the months of March, April or May.

Did you do your Camino last year. Would love to hear about it. My husband and I hope to walk Lisbon to Santiago next year 2020. We are still trying to work out the best time. Looking at the months of March, April or May.

Hi Romalban, Yes we did walk the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. Here is a YouTube video which should answer all of your questions good and bad. It was a great adventure!!!

I'm sure you will love it! - Cheers, Julian

Hi Romalban, Yes we did walk the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. Here is a YouTube video which should answer all of your questions good and bad. It was a great adventure!!!

I'm sure you will love it! - Cheers, Julian
Thanks heaps, really enjoyed your film of your Camino Walk.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back