Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Walking CF Oct/Nov 2021

jkontheway

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
Kumano Kodo (2019)
Portugues (2020)
Hi all, I'm thinking of walking the CF again towards the end of this month. A few questions I'd love people's thoughts on:

1) What's the easiest way to get to SJPP from Lisbon these days? There used to be direct flights to Pamplona and Bayonne, but these all have a layover in Madrid now. It seems the quickest would be to fly Lisbon - Madrid - Pamplona, and then a bus to SJPP? Does the bus still run at the end of Oct?
2) Should I expect most public albergues to be closed? I've always winged my accommodation on previous Caminos, but I'm wondering if I should put a little more planning into this one.

I'm also open to alternative walking routes around Europe for this time of the year (4-5 week trek)!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hi all, I'm thinking of walking the CF again towards the end of this month. A few questions I'd love people's thoughts on:

1) What's the easiest way to get to SJPP from Lisbon these days? There used to be direct flights to Pamplona and Bayonne, but these all have a layover in Madrid now. It seems the quickest would be to fly Lisbon - Madrid - Pamplona, and then a bus to SJPP? Does the bus still run at the end of Oct?
2) Should I expect most public albergues to be closed? I've always winged my accommodation on previous Caminos, but I'm wondering if I should put a little more planning into this one.

I'm also open to alternative walking routes around Europe for this time of the year (4-5 week trek)!
Have you walked to Santiago from Lisbon before?

jkontheway

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
Kumano Kodo (2019)
Portugues (2020)
Have you walked to Santiago from Lisbon before?
I did Porto to Santiago last year! I skipped over the Lisbon to Porto bit as I heard mixed reviews about it. I loved the varied landscape and length of the CF, that's why I'm considering to walk it again.

staucher

Camino junky
Past OR future Camino
Frances
Via de la Plata
Portuguese
Primitivo
You should be able to fly from Lisbon to Bordeaux. There appears to be a direct flight to Bordeaux with EasyJet. From there, you can reach SJPP easily by train.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

staucher

Camino junky
Past OR future Camino
Frances
Via de la Plata
Portuguese
Primitivo
No, but there's a bus at the airport that will drop you off at the train station in town.

jkontheway

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
Kumano Kodo (2019)
Portugues (2020)
You should be able to fly from Lisbon to Bordeaux. There appears to be a direct flight to Bordeaux with EasyJet. From there, you can reach SJPP easily by train.
That's a good option, thanks. Still involves a transfer at Bayonne right? I'm considering whether it might be easier to fly Lisbon-Madrid-Pamplona, and then take the bus to SJPP. I guess it comes down to the transfer times.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
That's a good option, thanks. Still involves a transfer at Bayonne right? I'm considering whether it might be easier to fly Lisbon-Madrid-Pamplona, and then take the bus to SJPP. I guess it comes down to the transfer times.
The transfer at Bayonne for the local train to SJPdP is very simple. The Bayonne gare/train station is small and used to pilgrims.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads