• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking companion/s Camino Portiugues Coastal Path

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Screenshot_20201202_231043_com.android.gallery3d.jpgcamino del Norte

...Hi I have walked the Frances and it was an out of this world experience. I had originally thought of tackling the Camino Del Norte but in truth I dont think I'm up to it at the moment as im still recovering from a knee op. So I am going to aim for the Portugese Camino on the Coast line. Which I imagine should be a lot flatter and less arduous. Has anyone one here done this Camino? Im looking to set off in September.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 88717camino del Norte

...Hi I have walked the Frances and it was an out of this world experience. I'm looking to walk the Camino del Norte. But I would like to find a/ some walking companions to set off in September . Anyone interested. I am Spanish/ British and speak Italian. PM me please. Gracie. Frank

As you know from walking the Francés that you will meet other pilgrims along the way. I'm hoping to do the Norte again in September, so perhaps I'll see you. 😊
I guess you won't be seeing me as I will be walking the VDLP but probably starting in October. Doubt if we will run into each other in Santiago unless you really take your time. :)
I loved this route. Have you ever seen this video on YouTube? I think it captures the beauty of the Norte like none other.

View attachment 88717camino del Norte

...Hi I have walked the Frances and it was an out of this world experience. I'm looking to walk the Camino del Norte. But I would like to find a/ some walking companions to set off in September . Anyone interested. I am Spanish/ British and speak Italian. PM me please. Gracie. Frank
Hi, Two things I would say. First please check out the video I posted. I think the Pilgrim is from Eastern Europe and his video I believes captures the beauty of the Norte better than any of the videos of the Norte I have seen.
My second comment which may not at all apply to you is this. If my assumptions are incorrect please forgive me in advance. We look to be about the same age. When I had walked the Norte a few years back I found the camino along the coast much more difficult than the Camino Frances. (Also more beautiful). I would be interested in hearing from other pilgrims who have walked if they feel the same as I do about the following comment. When I walked there seemed to be alot more pilgrims who preferred to walk alone then to join "Camino Families". Something so common and also loved on the CF. I still forged good bonds with other pilgrims in the albergues at night. Of course there were times I did walk with my new Camino friends during the day, but usually for short periods. I do think I shared more lunches on the Camino, outside of a bar or restaurant and also shared more communal dinners in the albergues at night. I found navigating the steep ups and downs along the coast to be easier walking my own pace. I think I would have killed myself trying to keep up with my younger pilgrim friends especially on those first climbs out of towns and villages along the coast to get up to the flatter plateaus. Same would be true traversing the steep downhills. I fondly remember some of those pilgrims screaming to me as I struggled up the hill, "come on old man you can do it. We don't want to have to call your wife to tell her we had to leave you on the side of the trail". I loved their sensitivity and encouragement!!:):);)
Just found this website that had this article that I think you may find very useful:

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@lt56ny, I walked the first half of the Norte before turning on to the Primitivo so look forward to watching the video you posted to especially zone into the 2nd half, which is my plan in 2021.
I walked it with my son in April 2016 and we saw very few pilgrims during the day. I loved the beauty, and yes, it was more difficult, but worth it. I do see it as a different experience, and less community oriented than the Frances, but each wonderful in their own way.

@lt56ny, I walked the first half of the Norte before turning on to the Primitivo so look forward to watching the video you posted to especially zone into the 2nd half, which is my plan in 2021.
I walked it with my son in April 2016 and we saw very few pilgrims during the day. I loved the beauty, and yes, it was more difficult, but worth it. I do see it as a different experience, and less community oriented than the Frances, but each wonderful in their own way.
That is my dream to walk the Norte to the Primitivo to Santiago. I have walked from Oviedo to the Norte to Santiago in March 2019 and loved it. Another I’d like to do is the Ruta Do Mar to Ferro to Santiago which looks good too. But time due to covid is limited who knows maybe 2021?

That is my dream to walk the Norte to the Primitivo to Santiago. I have walked from Oviedo to the Norte to Santiago in March 2019 and loved it. Another I’d like to do is the Ruta Do Mar to Ferro to Santiago which looks good too. But time due to covid is limited who knows maybe 2021?
It seems we have each already walked the opposite section of our next intended walk...I will be starting from Oviedo the next time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I guess you won't be seeing me as I will be walking the VDLP but probably starting in October. Doubt if we will run into each other in Santiago unless you really take your time. :)
I loved this route. Have you ever seen this video on YouTube? I think it captures the beauty of the Norte like none other.

Thank you! I really enjoyed the whole video and peaceful music!

I have walked the Frances and it was an out of this world experience. I'm looking to walk the Camino del Norte. But I would like to find a/ some walking companions to set off in September
If you didn't have pre-arranged walking companions when you walked the Frances, why are you seeking them for the Norte? I do understand how much fun it is to plan to meet up with others we have gotten to know in advance. And to know who is on the path at the same time. However, that's quite different from making arrangements and having expectations of being walking companions. I am curious, because this is an interesting dilemma shared by many of us on the forum.

€60,-
Hi, Two things I would say. First please check out the video I posted. I think the Pilgrim is from Eastern Europe and his video I believes captures the beauty of the Norte better than any of the videos of the Norte I have seen.
My second comment which may not at all apply to you is this. If my assumptions are incorrect please forgive me in advance. We look to be about the same age. When I had walked the Norte a few years back I found the camino along the coast much more difficult than the Camino Frances. (Also more beautiful). I would be interested in hearing from other pilgrims who have walked if they feel the same as I do about the following comment. When I walked there seemed to be alot more pilgrims who preferred to walk alone then to join "Camino Families". Something so common and also loved on the CF. I still forged good bonds with other pilgrims in the albergues at night. Of course there were times I did walk with my new Camino friends during the day, but usually for short periods. I do think I shared more lunches on the Camino, outside of a bar or restaurant and also shared more communal dinners in the albergues at night. I found navigating the steep ups and downs along the coast to be easier walking my own pace. I think I would have killed myself trying to keep up with my younger pilgrim friends especially on those first climbs out of towns and villages along the coast to get up to the flatter plateaus. Same would be true traversing the steep downhills. I fondly remember some of those pilgrims screaming to me as I struggled up the hill, "come on old man you can do it. We don't want to have to call your wife to tell her we had to leave you on the side of the trail". I loved their sensitivity and encouragement!!:):);)
Just found this website that had this article that I think you may find very useful:

If you didn't have pre-arranged walking companions when you walked the Frances, why are you seeking them for the Norte? I do understand how much fun it is to plan to meet up with others we have gotten to know in advance. And to know who is on the path at the same time. However, that's quite different from making arrangements and having expectations of being walking companions. I am curious, because this is an interesting dilemma shared by many of us on the forum.
Hi When I walked the Camino I set off alone which was a big deal for me as i generally am very nervous traveling alone for what ever reason. But when my flight arrive at Biaritz there was a bomb scare so we sat on the tarmac for a couple of hours and consquently missed the last train up to SJPDP . So i gravitated to separate folks with rack sacks on thier back looking lost like me. Cut a long story short we ended up sharing a cab and bonded there and then. 2 girls from Sweden and Romania and a guy from Italy. I walked the whole camino to finistiere with Marco the |Italian guy who was much younger than me. But we both looked out for one another. I never lagged behind. Mostly on the contrary. Some days as you say we'd both walk with other groups and meet up at some point in the day or at the Albergue. But I found it so rewarding having a friend who on bad days would give you encouragement and visa versa. When blisters set in you would have a helping caring hand. We would generally set off very early so as to arrive at the given destination around 2pm ish. So at 6.30 we would set off. There again it was good to encourage one another to get out with all the aches and pains. I wouldnt be brave enough on my own to walk in the dark on my own through deserted towns/ lanes etc. We really created a great bond. He my camino son and me his dad. Ive read various posts including yours and now think that the Camino Norte might be too much of a chalange for me. Especially as I have had a knee op after my Camino and am not 100% good. So I might settle for the Camino Portugues along the Coastal route which I imagine is less strenouse. and shorter. Thanks for your feed back.

Your story of your Camino is truly a unique and wonderful ezperience. I too met a young man, Max on my first Camino. He was walking with his Mom, Elizabeth, a woman who had 4 kidney transplants! What a woman. Well my Camino son formed a great bond and we ended up walking another Camino together from Le Puy to Santiago. Max just got married to a wonderful young woman just before COVID hit us.
Bad knees may certainly cause some issues. But you know the things you wrote about that make you uncomfortable I bet you could overcome. You had a Camino adventure before you got on the Camino and then you not only survived but thrived and loved what was one of your greatest life challenges. I bet you could do the Norte but I have no idea what your knees are like now and there are other Camino’s in your future.
I have walked from Lisbon, but didn’t do the coastal route. I loved it especially because I found the Portugues people to be about the best anywhere. Your right it is I think about 65 or 70% shorter from Porto than from Irún. Very flat in Portugal but I am sure very pretty. You may want to start South of Porto in Tomar which would extend it by about 10 days or so . Not very difficult except some long stages that you can break up. Of course who knows what albergues and hostels will have survived. Buen Camino

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back