• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking distance between accommodation?

Oz Helen

Time of past OR future Camino
Les Caminos del Norte 'June 2015'
We're planning to do a 10 day walk in Spain somewhere on the Los Camios del Norte in early June. I've ordered some guide books, but from looking at information and maps on line there doesn't seem to be accommodation available at each of the towns or villages on this route? Is this the case? We're planning to walk 20-25km's per day, which would get us from one town to the next, but I'm wondering how people organize to get to accommodation. Is it easy to get transport from one town to the next or should we consider taking a tent so we can stop at any of the towns wether or not there's accommodation? Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are correct Oz Helen, you will not find an albergue in every town or village as you would, or just about, on the Frances. Plus, you have to keep in mind that even if there is an albergue, many of them are only open in July and August.

This being said, you should be OK with your plans. Just don't decide to walk a bit more one day thinking you will find a bed in 5 or 10km or you will find yourself sleeping under the stars.

As for a tent, not needed, nor always legal depending on where you plan to set it up. Regarding transport, it is everywhere, but again, you should be fine.

Edicion Buen Camino has a recent (May 2014) edition of its guide and in shows you suggested etapas, based on those that are open all year, those only open in summer and those with no pilgrim albergue but other sleeping accomodations. Because that is something particular about this route: the much more common use of pensiones than albergues than on the Frances.

Take your guides, pay attention to dates albergues are open, and plot, plot, plot.

It is a wondeful route. You will enjoy it! If you think you will get to the Primitivo, and opt for it rather than going on the coast, take a look at the urcamino.com site.

The CSJ (UK) guides (Camino del Norte Ruta de las Costa 1&2) are very good and give accomodation lists; albergues and private rooms.
The online Gronze guide has good info too with opening months for many places.
Away and on a mini system without my usual links access but you can easily search for them.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are correct Oz Helen, you will not find an albergue in every town or village as you would, or just about, on the Frances. Plus, you have to keep in mind that even if there is an albergue, many of them are only open in July and August.

This being said, you should be OK with your plans. Just don't decide to walk a bit more one day thinking you will find a bed in 5 or 10km or you will find yourself sleeping under the stars.

As for a tent, not needed, nor always legal depending on where you plan to set it up. Regarding transport, it is everywhere, but again, you should be fine.

Edicion Buen Camino has a recent (May 2014) edition of its guide and in shows you suggested etapas, based on those that are open all year, those only open in summer and those with no pilgrim albergue but other sleeping accomodations. Because that is something particular about this route: the much more common use of pensiones than albergues than on the Frances.

Take your guides, pay attention to dates albergues are open, and plot, plot, plot.

It is a wondeful route. You will enjoy it! If you think you will get to the Primitivo, and opt for it rather than going on the coast, take a look at the urcamino.com site.

Thanks so much Anemone. Really helpful. I'd much prefer to leave my tent behind!
Kind Regards
OZ Helen

The CSJ (UK) guides (Camino del Norte Ruta de las Costa 1&2) are very good and give accomodation lists; albergues and private rooms.
The online Gronze guide has good info too with opening months for many places.
Away and on a mini system without my usual links access but you can easily search for them.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Tia. I've ordered the CSJ Guides you suggested, but didn't know about the on-line Gronze guide. Will look at that too.
Kind Regards
Oz Helen

There are some very active local Pilgrim Groups in Australia...in different areas
I would suggest you may find it enjoyable to get together with one near you.

Maybe an Oz person can post some info here to help you hook up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Helen,I'm from Perth .I don't know where you are from but there are excellent groups in each state.Also a FB site: Australian Pilgrims on the Camino.
We walked from Irun last May/June and used the excellent Cicerone guide the the Northern Caminos. It gives distances and details of albergues and pensions etc. I had also been reading blogs and taking down recommendations from others on the forum. No problem finding albergues but often full, we chose small pensions at times. Pobena and Islares come to mind as being full with tents in the garden in the former and extra mattresses on floors. Let me know if I can help with more info?
Heather

There are some very active local Pilgrim Groups in Australia...in different areas
I would suggest you may find it enjoyable to get together with one near you.

Maybe an Oz person can post some info here to help you hook up.

Thanks Grayland. Have had some local responses since your suggestion. Will follow up.
Regards
Helen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Lettinggo. I'm amazed at how much information is available on this site!
Regards
Oz Helen

Hi Helen,I'm from Perth .I don't know where you are from but there are excellent groups in each state.Also a FB site: Australian Pilgrims on the Camino.
We walked from Irun last May/June and used the excellent Cicerone guide the the Northern Caminos. It gives distances and details of albergues and pensions etc. I had also been reading blogs and taking down recommendations from others on the forum. No problem finding albergues but often full, we chose small pensions at times. Pobena and Islares come to mind as being full with tents in the garden in the former and extra mattresses on floors. Let me know if I can help with more info?
Heather

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Heather. Small world. I'm from Perth too! Helpful to gather more specific information about the Northern Caminos. Sounds like the pensions are a good back up.
Kind Regards
Helen

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back