• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking distance between Old and New Monastery San Juan de Pena

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Does anyone know the walking distance between the two Monasteries?
We took a shuttle when we were there and I can't remember how far it was.
Help?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can't give you an "X kilometers" answer, Annie, but when I walked from the upper monastery and the overlook down to the lower monastery (in perfect weather) it was fairly brief -- half an hour, tops -- and easy peasy!

Would love to go back, some day!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also recommend keeping to the road and not the path which is very stony and slippery. I have been there 3 times and tried all the different routes and road is best

I also recommend keeping to the road and not the path which is very stony and slippery. I have been there 3 times and tried all the different routes and road is best

The path down from the old monastery to the village of Santa Cruz de Serós nearly did me in. My knees were in terrible shape for the rest of my Camino. It is a wonder I was able to limp into Santiago. That path is very steep and rocky, IMO much more so than other well-known rocky descents, like the one from Alto del Perdón, or into Zubiri, or from El Acebo.

Just a little tip, though — last year, we had some tremendously steep descents on the Olvidado and my knees started to act up again. My peregrino friend recommended that I start doing quad (?) stretches (grabbing your foot behind you and pulling up gently) and my knee was fine in a few days. I have now incorporated that stretch into my normal workout routine and am hoping I’ll be ready for my next Camino descents.

Yes, the path down to the village was slippery when we walked also. One time we walked the road and it was a nice walk too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked up the mountain I used the road for the first half, more through accident than design. There is a village at about half-way up where water was available. Thereafter I used the track to the top and it was a very trying experience in the Spanish sun. I was absolutely creased by the time I reached the monastaries, so much so that I took the road to descend the whole way down to Santa Cilia. I weighed the possibility of slipping or falling and injuring myself on that seldom-used path and having to spend hours awaiting assistance and decided the road was the only sensible option. Thank goodness for that albergue in Santa Cilia, and the wonderful woman who runs it.

The ironic thing is, having said after the trip that I had no further interest in the Aragones, I now want to return and walk it again! This time with a tad more water on certain stretches, and maybe not in summer!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The ironic thing is, having said after the trip that I had no further interest in the Aragones, I now want to return and walk it again! This time with a tad more water on certain stretches, and maybe not in summer!
Plenty of rain this November.
Remember this well; at least it was downhill!
I was concerned about the climb and descent there because of what forum members have written about it but it was much better than I expected. Now someone has to find something worse than New Hampshire's White Mountains.

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back