• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking for 30 days at 55 / best place to start

chucksandy

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 October 10
I have around 30 days to walk starting on October 10th, want to make it to Santiago, and would like some advice on the best place to start. I was thinking to start in Leon and take things kind of easy as I'm 55 and not in the best shape in the whole world - but not in the worst either. I walk daily in Japan between 5 and 15 KM without problem with a light pack. I'm fine even in the hills and mountains as long as I take my time. Still, with a couple of stents in my heart which have been there happily for a few years, I don't think I want to push myself beyond 20 km a day - especially in hilly sections. So the questions: 1) What do you think about starting in Leon? 2) Is it possible to get a Pilgrim's Credential there in Leon - and if so, where? 3) Any other advice welcome. Thanks - Chuck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Chuck! A Camino from Leon will be more than achievable in that time even at a relaxed pace. Probably a couple of weeks or so if you follow the standard route.

This gives you a range of options, including;
- starting further back. Anywhere from Burgos onwards.
- Continuing on to Finisterre and looping back to Santiago via Muxia.
- Walking another short route to Santiago eg. Camino Ingles after your arrival from Leon.
- Turning off the main route from Leon at Ponferrada and follow the Camino del Invierno into Santiago.
- See somewhere else in Spain for a week or so.

None of these (apart from your start point) need any pre planning so you can just have options in mind, see how you feel and what your Camino family are doing etc.

You'll get a passport in Leon no problem. There's also tourist info opposite the cathedral if I remember correctly. Buen Camino!

I have around 30 days to walk starting on October 10th, want to make it to Santiago, and would like some advice on the best place to start. I was thinking to start in Leon and take things kind of easy as I'm 55 and not in the best shape in the whole world - but not in the worst either. I walk daily in Japan between 5 and 15 KM without problem with a light pack. I'm fine even in the hills and mountains as long as I take my time. Still, with a couple of stents in my heart which have been there happily for a few years, I don't think I want to push myself beyond 20 km a day - especially in hilly sections. So the questions: 1) What do you think about starting in Leon? 2) Is it possible to get a Pilgrim's Credential there in Leon - and if so, where? 3) Any other advice welcome. Thanks - Chuck

Hola and welcome to the forum

Tyrrek gives excellent advices and what comes into my mind is for you to start further back at Burgos or even Pamplona.
Start out slowly the first week and learn your body and capabilities and enjoy your walk.
After two weeks you will know more about what is possible and if you should or have to jump ahead a bit.
If so, take a bus and cut of the days needed, so you will arrive at Santiago.
Maybe you even want to walk to the ocean at Finisterre and plan accordingly the 3-4 days to do so.

One thing about a first time camino is, in my opinion, that everything is new and thus unplannable.
This is exactly what makes it so special.
Physical injuries, special pilgrim relations, weather, etc. will all affect the camino, but as in all in life, we have to adapt to the circumstances as they occurs.

Have a great walk and Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum Chuck, I would agree with tyrrek, Logrono or Burgos and take it nice and slow. If you can walk 15 k you will be ok, take plenty coffee breaks. Make sure you have well broken in boots and rain gear. I had had a triple bypass and a couple of stints before I did my first Camino and I was 58 so you are still a young one :). Enjoy every step.
Buen Camino.

Hello Chuck you should be OK following the advice above, you obviously are thinking about your body and the best way to approach the camino. Cardiac problems certainly focus our minds but if you do it leisurely 15k or there abouts you should be fine. Think carefully about how much you can carry there is always the option of baggage transport on the climbing days (each person is different). At nearly twenty years your senior and also a member of the "zipper club" I prefer to be cautious in order to enjoy my camino. Good luck with the planning and welcome to the forum.:) Buen camino

Welcome Chuck, Last year I started in Roncesvalles and walked to Burgos, took a bus from Burgos to Leon and then walked on to Santiago (32 days of walking slowly and enjoying). So many pilgrims told me how much they enjoyed walking the Meseta. So this year I have about the same amount of time to walk the Camino and I have decided to start in Logroño and not miss the Meseta. I am flying into Madrid and then getting a bus at the T4 Terminal at Barajas Airport that will take me to Logroño (ALSA bus system is great and you can buy your ticket online in advance). That is the plan for this 68 year old. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will have to work very hard to take more than three weeks from Leon to Santiago.:) So, work on a plan for the remaining time. You could start further back toward Burgos, Logrono, or Pamplona. You could take three to five days on walks after reaching Santiago. Choices would be continuing to Fisterra and/or Muxia; taking a bus to Ferrol and walking five to six days on the Camino Ingles; or taking the train to Tui and walking 100 km back to Santiago. Of course, you could just relax in Santiago for a week, or take transportation to some place like Oviedo. Regardless, 30 days is plenty of time to be leisurely, and I am sure you will find a way to spend the time. Buen camino.;)

Just one further thought. Around the time you'll start walking the autumn 'wave' of pilgrims who started in St Jean in September will be passing through Leon. Starting further back it may be significantly quieter. I don't think it will be a problem (there will be enough other pilgrims and beds either way) but if you'd like a more sociable Camino it may be better to start in Leon and extend it to Finisterre etc. Buen Camino!

Hi Chuck! A Camino from Leon will be more than achievable in that time even at a relaxed pace. Probably a couple of weeks or so if you follow the standard route.

This gives you a range of options, including;
- starting further back. Anywhere from Burgos onwards.
- Continuing on to Finisterre and looping back to Santiago via Muxia.
- Walking another short route to Santiago eg. Camino Ingles after your arrival from Leon.
- Turning off the main route from Leon at Ponferrada and follow the Camino del Invierno into Santiago.
- See somewhere else in Spain for a week or so.

None of these (apart from your start point) need any pre planning so you can just have options in mind, see how you feel and what your Camino family are doing etc.

You'll get a passport in Leon no problem. There's also tourist info opposite the cathedral if I remember correctly. Buen Camino!

Thank you so much Tyrrek! I first read your reply while having a small break on a 12k walk through central Japan today, and reading your words made me so excited. I can do this and I will. Thank you so much! I'm still not sure where I'll begin, but know I will and that it will be good. Thanks again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola and welcome to the forum

Tyrrek gives excellent advices and what comes into my mind is for you to start further back at Burgos or even Pamplona.
Start out slowly the first week and learn your body and capabilities and enjoy your walk.
After two weeks you will know more about what is possible and if you should or have to jump ahead a bit.
If so, take a bus and cut of the days needed, so you will arrive at Santiago.
Maybe you even want to walk to the ocean at Finisterre and plan accordingly the 3-4 days to do so.

One thing about a first time camino is, in my opinion, that everything is new and thus unplannable.
This is exactly what makes it so special.
Physical injuries, special pilgrim relations, weather, etc. will all affect the camino, but as in all in life, we have to adapt to the circumstances as they occurs.

Have a great walk and Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

Thank you Lettinggo. You offer good advice. I was thinking to walk to Finisterre after Santiago, but as you say
"everything is new and thus unplannable. This is exactly what makes it so special." Thank you again! - Chuck

Welcome to the forum Chuck, I would agree with tyrrek, Logrono or Burgos and take it nice and slow. If you can walk 15 k you will be ok, take plenty coffee breaks. Make sure you have well broken in boots and rain gear. I had had a triple bypass and a couple of stints before I did my first Camino and I was 58 so you are still a young one :). Enjoy every step.
Buen Camino.

Thank you Wayfarer! Knowing that you have stents, too, and did your first Camino at 58 is very encouraging. I will enjoy every step! I'm now thinking Burgos as starting point. - Chuck

Hello Chuck you should be OK following the advice above, you obviously are thinking about your body and the best way to approach the camino. Cardiac problems certainly focus our minds but if you do it leisurely 15k or there abouts you should be fine. Think carefully about how much you can carry there is always the option of baggage transport on the climbing days (each person is different). At nearly twenty years your senior and also a member of the "zipper club" I prefer to be cautious in order to enjoy my camino. Good luck with the planning and welcome to the forum.:) Buen camino

The zipper club! That's good, Pilgrim B. Being cautious sounds like the right approach to take. Today I loaded my bag with 15 Kg and did 12k in fairly hilly country. I felt like I could have done more, but stopped where I did and felt great. I'm so looking forward to my Camino and your good reply helped make me even more excited. Buen camino, Chuck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Chuck, Last year I started in Roncesvalles and walked to Burgos, took a bus from Burgos to Leon and then walked on to Santiago (32 days of walking slowly and enjoying). So many pilgrims told me how much they enjoyed walking the Meseta. So this year I have about the same amount of time to walk the Camino and I have decided to start in Logroño and not miss the Meseta. I am flying into Madrid and then getting a bus at the T4 Terminal at Barajas Airport that will take me to Logroño (ALSA bus system is great and you can buy your ticket online in advance). That is the plan for this 68 year old. Buen Camino!

Thanks for the good information and advice Santiago_67. Your reply is very encouraging!

You will have to work very hard to take more than three weeks from Leon to Santiago.:) So, work on a plan for the remaining time. You could start further back toward Burgos, Logrono, or Pamplona. You could take three to five days on walks after reaching Santiago. Choices would be continuing to Fisterra and/or Muxia; taking a bus to Ferrol and walking five to six days on the Camino Ingles; or taking the train to Tui and walking 100 km back to Santiago. Of course, you could just relax in Santiago for a week, or take transportation to some place like Oviedo. Regardless, 30 days is plenty of time to be leisurely, and I am sure you will find a way to spend the time. Buen camino.;)

Thank you Falcon269. So many options! I'm now thinking of starting back in Burgos but we'll see. I'm sure I will spend a wonderful 30 days and plan to be as unplanned as possible -- except for the packing.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just one further thought. Around the time you'll start walking the autumn 'wave' of pilgrims who started in St Jean in September will be passing through Leon. Starting further back it may be significantly quieter. I don't think it will be a problem (there will be enough other pilgrims and beds either way) but if you'd like a more sociable Camino it may be better to start in Leon and extend it to Finisterre etc. Buen Camino!

Thanks again Tyrrek. Given that I'm mostly a solitary walker in Japan, I wasn't sure how social I wanted to be on Camino -- but now that I've seen in this forum how helpful and kind fellow Pilgrims can be, maybe joining the wave in Leon might be fun. - Chuck

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Chuck,

I also am a member of the zipper club and almost 20 years older than you. I started in Burgos and arrived in Santiago 22 days later. I met a peregrino that was 79 who had heart surgery and I had a hard time keeping up with him. Another much younger peregrino I met on the Camino played professional football in Germany for 15 years. He choose not to carry his pack and had it sent ahead every day. The point here is that it is possible for you to make your journey just by using common sense. You know your body and its limitations. If all else fails and you have a day where you run out of energy, you can always get a taxi. Buen Camino !

Last edited:
Reading this thread anyone could be forgiven for thinking we are all a bunch of crocks, then when we start bionicwalking, stent here zip there titanium this turbo that!!!!!!!!;) camino provides for us all :)

Another much younger peregrino I met on the Camino played professional football in Germany for 15 years. He choose not to carry his pack and had it sent ahead every day.

Unless this was stated by the pilgrim himself, I wouldn't be too quick in using the statement "He choose not to carry his pack...". Some choices, this one included, get taken away by injuries and ailments that may not be so obvious to somebody's eyes. I know people who have walked the Camino with fibromyalgia, partial blindness, artificial knees, etc..... Many would look at and perhaps judge. I can assured you their pilgrimage without carrying a bag is far more challenging, than that of many carrying a heavy backpack.

Like I said, they could be in Costa del Sol; instead they are walking the Camino.

Chucksandy-- I am on your age group. I never walk at home. Never. Just came back from the Camino again where I completed Sahagun to Santiago in 15 days, walked every step. You will be fine. Start in Burgos. If time left, you can always go back and cover Logrono to Burgos. In October 2013, I walked with a lady that started in Ponferrada. While enroute, she was able to arranged things back home and take more time. After finishing in Santiago, she went all the way to SJPDP and walkedas far as she could (Carrion de los Condes). You will figure it out. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Chucksandy:

Your decision on a starting point could be driven by your point of entry. I am not sure where that is.

That said, I would recommend Madrid if you have not already purchased a ticket. Madrid is also an easier city to reach from Santiago. (Train, bus or plane). You can take the train from Madrid Chamartin station to Burgos or from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Logrono. Either Burgos or Logrono would be easily doable walks in 30 days. Leon is also an easy access city from Madrid by train.

Leon is just past the half way mark and just over a two week walk. Burgos a three week walk and Logrono closer to four weeks. Pamplona could be done in 30 days but it would be a push and would not allow flexibility if something unplanned would occur.

Leon you would be starting on the Meseta (flattest part of the Camino). Burgos just prior to the start of the Meseta. Logrono a few more hills and Pamplona a lot more hills.

Whatever your decision, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Don't under estimate yourself. it is a long walk, but not a very difficult walk. Start at SJPDP and take bus at some places if you feel it necessary. As a Member of the "Soon To be Dead", I had no problems walking from SJPDP to Santiago in 33 days in May & June. Could have walked a lot faster if I had been alone.

Reading this thread anyone could be forgiven for thinking we are all a bunch of crocks, then when we start bionicwalking, stent here zip there titanium this turbo that!!!!!!!!;) camino provides for us all :)
We met a pilgrim with 2 tin knees (his description) - he had walked the Norte to Oviedo and then onto the Primitivo using baggage transport. He was at Ferreira in the Casa Rural and heading for Santiago at his own pace.:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unless this was stated by the pilgrim himself, I wouldn't be too quick in using the statement "He choose not to carry his pack...". Some choices, this one included, get taken away by injuries and ailments that may not be so obvious to somebody's eyes.

I was trying to make the point that there are options available for walking the Camino. Sorry that you assumed that I was judging my new friend, because I wasn't. I don't and never will judge anyone on the Camino. The peregrino I was referring to just chose to not carry his backpack. There were a couple of days that I wish that I could have afforded to take similar action. The purpose of my original email was to provide encouragement and to make the point that there are no rules. I apologize for any misunderstanding. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the pilgrim with the 'tin knees'. My husband is just home from hospital with a new (tin) knee. I was hoping that we could walk the Portugues and Ingles next year, we walked the Francis in 2009. You give me hope!

In May & June, we walked with the 85 year old Japanese guy with his 79 year old wife; with the blind guy from Finland and his wife pushing a baby carriage with two small kids; the two young women carrying big packs and carrying babies less than 6 months old.--They all walked from SJPDP to Santiago and the Finns walked to the Ocean! All of those people carried big packs and never used taxis to carry their packs. Great people to share the trail with. Lot of hikers in better shape and with better equipment quit, but they did not. It's all in your head.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Norte from Irun in 36 days following heart attack and stents. I think you could walk the Norte from Bilbao or Santander with no problems. Enjoy.

Hi Chuck
Your description of yourself kind of mirrors me apart from the stents and I am 65. I started last year from Pamplona to Burgos and in a moment of weakness gave up and went home. I went back a few months later, started in Burgos on the 7th September, finished 3rd October. Add in the couple of days I skipped on the bus and it is still under 30 days. I think if memory serves me right, only a few days exceeded 20km, in fact I pushed one day to more than 25 but I was feeling good that day :). Before I started I had not walked more than 5km since I was a young man and as I often remarked along the way, when God made me, he forgot to put in the uphill gear. So, if I can do Burgos to Santiago in just under 30 days I reckon anyone can do it. Personally I would not start from Leon. Did not like that place at all so I walked through it to Virgen del Camino on the outskirts. Cant answer you on availability of credentials though. I made a point of having mine before I left Ireland. The only other advice I can give you is, and this is a blatent plug for my book, Walk With the Sun Till ur Shadow Disappears. An old Spanish pilgrim gave me that advice in Carrion. Start between 6am and 7am, walk for about 6 to 7 hours and stop at the next albergue. It worked for me

Hi, Chuck
I'm 52 female not in shape! Me too love to walk every day!
I did Astorga - Santiago in 14 days. July 2014
In your case i will start in roncesvalle to la reina or Burgos and then take a bus to Astorga and restart from there!
Put vaseline every day in your feet and every 2 hour put vaseline again! I did this as a ritual and i get to santiago Blister free!!! Buen Camino !! Enjoy it !! It is a BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE!!

Greetings, young Chuck!
By now you will be completely confused.
Start wherever you like.
Occasionally have days when you go nowhere, but just enjoy the city/scenery wherever you are.
Enjoy the company of other pilgrims - your 'camino family'. I, too,always walk alone, but enjoy company in the evenings, and when our paths cross during the day.
Relax - let the road rise up to meet you, and Santiago protect you.
You're going to have a great time!
Buen camino!

I'd start in Pamplona. It's very doable. We did it in 31 from Pamplona with a 61 year old woman, two people in their mid 30s, and carrying a 14 month old. You could do it from Saint Jean but you'd be hurrying too much with 30 days. But I think you can tackle a lot more than Leon without pushing yourself too much each day.

I finish in Santiago tomorrow morning...started in St. Jean on the 23 August. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check your email I sent you a longish personal message
グッドバイ

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back