• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking for Charity

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Gareth's post about the French man objecting to his walk for charity set me thinking.
Individual pilgrims have raised large amounts of money for charity walking the camino. As long as the funds are raised in their own country, and the funds are spent on charities in their country, I don't see how anyone can object.
Two years ago when I walked the VF a local South African real estate chain used our walk to raise over R50 000 for their children's charities. No funds were raised in Switzerland or Italy and we didn't have to do any fund raising - just walk to Rome.
In the middle ages, villages and confraternities raised funds to sponsor people going on pilgrimages. In times of plague, whole villages sent pilgrims to Rome or Santiago to intercede on their behalf.
There is a story here about an Oxford vicar who is walking the camino to raise money for a drop in centre for the homeless in his parish.
http://www.oxfordmail.net/display.var.2 ... meless.php
Is Gareth's pilgrimage for Whizz Kids any different?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jerome, 74, to take on 900-mile France to Spain trek for Overgate Hospice.
VETERAN walker Jerome Sullivan is preparing to stride out on his next trek – a 900-mile marathon from France to Spain for charity. The 74-year-old, who was the oldest of 200 walkers who tackled the recent Easter Long March around Calderdale, wants to raise funds for Overgate Hospice, Elland.
He sets off tomorrow and will walk across the Pyrenees from Le Puy-en-Velay in France to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Last year Mr Sullivan walked from John O'Groats to Land's End to raise funds for Overgate. It is likely to take him eight weeks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Crazy George finished his epic 2 500 mile, 7 countries, cycle ride for charity on 4th June in Santiago de Compostela.
You can read about it here:

http://www.crazygeorge.org/

More 'medieval' pilgrims in the Netherlands

A group of 7 pilgrims (men and women) is making a pilgrimage in medieval costumes. To take the cockle is synonymous with Old Dutch 'Palster ende scerpe nemen' meaning to take the staff (bourdon) and scrib (wallet for letters of recommandation) like a well-known English pilgrim is doing on the Camino these days. They even walk on genuine medieval pilgrim's shoes as the pictures show and learned the hard way that only woollen socks are good enough.

Their 'camino' leads from Aduard (near the Groningen Frisian coast) to Aachen (Charlemagne's seat of power) in Northern Germany. Starting July 14th they hope to arrive August 3rd. This pilgrimage is sponsoring MS-Research. Also see http://www.palster-scerpe.nl/palster.asp?id=0 and http://www.destentor.nl/regio/vechtdal/ ... sokken.ece

Geert
PILGRIMSPLAZA
http://king-early-days.blogspot.com

August 4, 2008 They made it! http://www.palster-scerpe.nl/blog/default.asp

Attachments

• Aduard-Aachen dw4d-groepsportret.jpg
    Aduard-Aachen dw4d-groepsportret.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,024
Gareth's post about the French man objecting to his walk for charity set me thinking.
Individual pilgrims have raised large amounts of money for charity walking the camino. As long as the funds are raised in their own country, and the funds are spent on charities in their country, I don't see how anyone can object.
I posted this message in April after Gareth reported a Frenchman objecting to him walking for charity.

We found, when walking the VF in 2006 for Children's Charities, that the closer we got to Rome the faster the donations came in. Perhaps people were waiting to see if we would make it!
99.9% of the donations came from South African donors - which is what we expected seeing that we were raising money for South African children.
Gareth, I am so pleased to see on your blog that the donations are coming in faster now. I have been involved with people with disabilities ever since my younger son - now 31 yrs old - started using a chair at 3 years of age. I know how costly chairs are and how many people with disabilities need our support. If your walk can buy just one wheelchair for a disadvantaged disabled child, then your walk will have been worth it. You hang in there!
Dios les bendiga,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another pilgrim walking for Charity - this time for Barnardos, Ireland's leading independent children's charity. (aka our forum member Confusicus)

http://garywardcamino.blogspot.com/

http://goodwillwalk.com/mainmenu.html

Keighley community constable Paul Sullivan, accompanied by his wife, Karen, will follow a pilgrimage route that has existed for more than 1,000 years.
Shortly before they begin the walk the couple will pay a brief visit to the French pilgrimage centre of Lourdes. During the trek itself they will stop off at the cathedral in the provincial capital, Oviedo.
PC Sullivan said he and his wife aimed to cover an average of 17 miles a day over the entire 525-mile route.
He said once they reach Santi-ago de Compostela - the official end of the pilgrimage - they will walk for a further three days to reach Cape Finisterre, one of the most westerly points of continen-tal Europe.
The couple will mostly be raising sponsorship money for Mar Elias Schools, in Galilee - which provides education for Jewish, Christian and Muslim students in the Holy Land.
They also hope to raise some cash for Hope Bradford, which is part of a national campaign to spiritually regenerate local communities. They can be sponsored online at justgiving.com/wayofstjames and details about their challenge are available at goodwillwalk.com. PC Sullivan said further information was also available at his Facebook page under the name, Paul Gerald Sullivan. He and his wife will fly out to southern France on Sunday and expect to be walking for about five-and-a-half weeks.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back