• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking for my Late Father - Compostella Queston

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
My wife asked me if I had posted this..... I thought I had, but it appears not. So apologies if this is a repeat.

We plan to walk from Sarria next year. As I already have a Compostella from this year, my wife suggested I walk next year for my Late Father. I thought that was a great idea.

Dad was a devote Catholic in his early life, who sadly lost his faith after what he saw in WW2. I'd love to walk this time 'with' him and have his name on the Credencial and Compostella.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was possible to do this for a deceased relative.....

I could always just walk under a assumed name I suppose, but that doesn't seem right somehow.

Does anyone know if I can walk for my Father in this way?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Robo your own name goes in your Credentiale but you can add, as I did this year, "walking on behalf of" or "walking for" and the name of the person. When I went to get the Compostele from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I showed them the endorsement and told the story (my friend has ALS) and they wrote her name on the bottom of the document. It is not quite the same as having it issued in that person's name, but still very nice. They used her Latinised name and beautiful script.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Robo your own name goes in your Credentiale but you can add, as I did this year, "walking on behalf of" or "walking for" and the name of the person. When I went to get the Compostele from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I showed them the endorsement and told the story (my friend has ALS) and they wrote her name on the bottom of the document. It is not quite the same as having it issued in that person's name, but still very nice. They used her Latinised name and beautiful script.

Sounds like a good compromise. Thanks Kanga.

Wonderful idea, Rob. I have gotten a lot of compostelas, in fact I sometimes wonder why I bother, but the one I got last year "vicarie pro" my newly born grandson was by far the one that meant the most to me. Something about affirming the circle of life and confronting our own very fleeting time here. May your dad rest in peace.

Thanks. I just searched for that term and found another thread here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ino-on-behalf-of-someone-who-has-passed.6838/

Hi Hi Rob

I walked in March of this year to honour my father, whose memory I cherish across the vale of years
and had his name added to my Compostele. As other have said, it can be an emotional moment. Thankfully
I had the foresight to have written out on a piece of paper what I wanted adding. Just as well as I brought
the place to a halt for a short period with uncontrollable sobbing.

I hope your walk brings back to your mind many happy memories of your father

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Vicarie Pro.jpg
    Vicarie Pro.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 15
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for this post @Robo, I know Dad will be on my mind on my camino and including his name on my compostela would mean a lot to me. God willing, I'll be in SdC on the anniversary of his passing. Makes me smile to think that Dad was such a devout Catholic he managed to die on All Souls Day.

Yes, "Vicarie Pro", meaning "in memory of". When I requested a pilgrims passport, the fellow who administered the process emailed me back personally and shared about the Vicarie Pro (after the official "your request has been received" email.) I was totally new to this camino stuff and was very moved by his thoughtfulness. It was at that wonderful, meaningful and powerful moment that I realized that my camino had begun, and that was a couple of weeks before I left. I walked my camino recently--Portuguese route--in honor of my brother.

When in Santiago, at the busy pilgrim office where compostela's are written, it was an honor for me to ask that the document carry his name.

Have a wonderful camino.

Yes, "Vicarie Pro", meaning "in memory of". When I requested a pilgrims passport, the fellow who administered the process emailed me back personally and shared about the Vicarie Pro (after the official "your request has been received" email.) I was totally new to this camino stuff and was very moved by his thoughtfulness. It was at that wonderful, meaningful and powerful moment that I realized that my camino had begun, and that was a couple of weeks before I left. I walked my camino recently--Portuguese route--in honor of my brother.

When in Santiago, at the busy pilgrim office where compostela's are written, it was an honor for me to ask that the document carry his name.

Have a wonderful camino.

I got a little excited considering walking for my mom, dad, and brother---that would be three caminos, in addition to one I really need to do just for myself :) I think they'll all be with me, as they are every day, actually.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back