• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking for someone else

SallyD

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk Camino (2017)
Hi everyone
Just wondering if any special documents are needed if I am walking for myself as well as another person (apart from another credential)?
Flying from Oz next week and very excited!
Cheers for now and Buen Camino
Sally

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @SallyD the credential is only for yourself, you can't (or at least should not) get it stamped for another person. It is proof that you have walked, and obviously if someone has not walked then it is useless.

If you are walking "for someone else" - who can't themselves do it because they are ill, or no longer in this life, then when you get to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago de Compostela, and present your credential, ask for your Compostela to be endorsed "Vicarie Pro" with the name of the person.

It is a lovely thing to present to the person when you get back. I have done it twice. Even more important to me was that along the route I thought and prayed for that person.

Oh, and Buen Camino Peregrina!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be aware that you do not get 2 Compostelas, just the one, with both names. If you also want to keep a certificate as a souvenir of this walk, you could pay 3€ and ask for a certificate of distance as well.

No big deal. I just told the nice man at the office, that I had walked for another person, and passed him a note with the name on it. Like Kanga mentioned, he wrote Vicarie Pro (name), and that was that.

The impact on a recipient of such a gesture can be profound :). Especially if the recipient is elderly.

And if you want your own certificate, then just walk back from Finisterre to Santiago via Muxia. A nice stroll ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Years ago I walked with 2 credentials. On one I had written that it was on behalf of my still born grandson. I explained each time and always got a sello on it as well as my own. I presented mine at the office and had it endorsed as above "Vicarie pro". The sello and the compostella were much appreciated by my daughter and her husband.

The impact on a recipient of such a gesture can be profound. Especially if the recipient is elderly.
Not to downplay such kindness at all, but I feel I should mention that in the times I was volunteering at an ablergue, we had a lady 91 years old wlking with her 65-year-old son, several people in their eighties, at least one who was 79, and a fellow who did it with a trailer he had built specifically the width of a wheelchair to determine whether he could bring his friend the following year. Also, check out:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-the-camino-with-a-blind-friend.27961/

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...lchair-500-mile-trail-spain-article-1.1860528

(For what it's worth, I know there's at least one person here who can call me "junior" and I'm 63.)

More accurately, the effect is profound in the event that a person's body is no longer able.

Tomorrow is my late friend Sally's birthday. Would that she were here to farewell me once again---she was so excited for me to return from Spain, with a special scallop shell just for her.

In fact, the first time I went, I saw a HUGE one for sale somewhere--au natural, orange and white and perhaps the biggest one I've ever seen.

All the way to SdC, people would remark on my huge scallop shell! She was overwhelmed to get it, along with lots of sweet little gifts. It was delightful to delight her.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.