A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Walking from 29th Dec- 6th of January

2020 Camino Guides

tim.on.the.run

Camino(s) past & future
(winter 2019)
Hi all,

I have a few days at the beginning of the new year and have figured there would be no better way to spend it that walking some part of the Camino. I was originally thinking of doing the Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago, but have heard various opinions on how open the auberges will be during this time. So I have now alternatively begun to look at some routes in Spain.

I would appreciate some opinions on best route, planing to cover 30-40km per day most likely.

I have done a fair bit of hiking and some longer 1 months treks in the past, as well as a 2 month cycle tour across the US, so I believe this will be a reasonable pace to achieve.

Any advice would be appreciated!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
The Camino Frances would be my first choice for a winter Camino, info about closed/open albergues can be found here: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Regarding daily km - keep in mind there is far less daylight available then in summer ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
The Camino Frances will have the most open infrastructure.

LTfit

Veteran Member
I walked Burgos-Sarria last year between December 27th and I believe January 8th and had no problem with finding an albergue. Do use the aprinca website to be sure as other websites as Gronze are great in other seasons but aren't always accurate in the winter.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 50 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 179 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 293 24.6%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock