• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from A Coruña

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I walked last week from A Coruña to Muxia. As very few people seem to start at A Coruña, I thought it might be useful to post some details of my route/schedule. This was very much a 'mini-Camino' and I packed a lot of walking into a small number of days. It mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, but it was perfect for me. Tough on the feet, but great for the head!

I used the CSJ @JohnnieWalker guide to the Camino Ingles, which I really liked. It's a practical 'no-nonsense guide with no superfluous detail. So thank you @JohnnieWalker for all your efforts - and it was nice to meet you in person at the Cathedral.

I think someone posted in an earlier thread that they had difficulty printing this guide. I copied and pasted the pdf to MS Word and created a condensed A4 version that I printed and kept in my pocket. I had the full version on the kindle in case I needed it.

For the Muxia section, I had the new Brierley guide on my kindle. I didn't really use it. It's awkward on the kindle as skipping past the (IMO) non-essential detail is time-consuming. This wouldn't be an issue with the paper version.

Sunday 13 September:
Flight from Barcelona to A Coruña; arrived at around 3pm. This was the fastest airport exit ever! Within about 15 minutes of the plane landing, I was out of the airport and in a taxi.

I enjoyed a wander around A Coruña and walked 8kms from the Camino starting point at Rua Santiago to the Hotel Marisqueira. This gave me a little head-start on my first proper day of walking. There are a couple of other accommodation options noted in the guide that also allow for this head-start.

The walk out of A Coruña is nice, especially the park/promenade section. None of the churches or tourist offices were open and the people in the bars looked confused when I asked for a sello. So I've no 'proof' apart from my photos that I actually started there!

Monday 14 September
Hotel Marisqueira to Meson do Vento - about 25kms

As I was leaving, the nice guy in the hotel tried to help me by giving me directions (the hotel is 800m from the Camino). I foolishly followed his advice, rather than making sure that I retraced my steps from the previous evening. I ended up walking on a busy main road and then using the maps app on my phone to get me to Sigras by a complicated series of back roads. It was all fine in the end and a couple of local people were really helpful. As a solo female walker, I was a little nervous when a man in a white van drove past slowly and then turned around and pulled up beside me. However, he had seen that I was going the wrong way (again!) and gave me very precise directions that brought me to the St. Anthony statue with the quote about miracles. My mother would be proud :).

The rest of the day was uncomplicated and the weather was really pleasant. I saw no other pilgrims until Hospital de Bruma. I was glad that I had taken the advice to bring water and snacks as there were very few stopping points. I really liked this walk and would recommend it to anyone looking for some quiet time-out.

I enjoyed the friendly welcome and a great night's sleep at O Meson Novo.

Tuesday 15 September
Meson do Vento to Santiago - about 39 kms

This was a long, wet day. I didn't really use the guide as it would have dissolved in the torrential rain. I checked it a couple of times during the day, but the route was very well marked. It was nice to see a few other pilgrims during the morning. I saw none in the afternoon as everyone seemed to stop at Sigeuiro. So it was another solitary day, which was fine.

Although 39kms sounds like a long walk, it was relatively flat and much of it was on forest paths. I enjoyed it in spite of the weather, but I found the last few kms pretty tough as my feet were very wet. I was so happy to arrive at Hotel Santa Clara. This is a very pilgrim-friendly little place. The rooms are small and basic, but the people are so nice. The girl on duty even loaned me her umbrella so that I could go for a walk around Santiago that evening.

I then did the Muxia section in 3 stages:
Wednesday 16 September: Santiago to Negreira, about 22kms. Albergue El Carmen.
Thursday 17 September: Negreira to Ponte Olveira, about 31kms. Albergue Ponte Olveira.
Friday 18 September: Ponte Olveira to Muxia, about 33kms. Albergue Bela Muxia.

To be honest, the Muxia walk was the main focus of my mini-Camino and I knew that this was where I wanted to finish. Starting at A Coruña gave me an extra couple of days' walking, through similar countryside and with plenty of solitude. The Muxia stages were busier than the Ingles, but still very quiet. I was ready for some company at that stage. I had dinner with an old Camino buddy in Negreira and I'm sure that he had a sore head by the end of the evening :)

I ended my Camino with a swim off the rocks beside the Muxia harbour. People from warmer climates found this very amusing. Some Italian ladies even took photos!

I've made a flickr album which I will caption properly over the next few days. https://flic.kr/s/aHskkbtxqo

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,Nuala.
Just finished the Ingles and was actually at O Meson Novo the same night as you with my wife and daughter. Very nice people at this pension. We struggled a bit on a couple of days but you made me laugh describing how easy it all was!! Not only did we not walk straight through Siguiero to Santiago,we actually broke the walk at Ordes.(we must sound like wimps!) Mind you that was the plan all along. We just wanted a slow ramble this year and to enjoy the scenery etc. Plus we had a couple of nights in Santiago which was lovely. Next year we might follow your example and push ourselves a bit more.
Looking forward to seeing your photos.
Joe

Hi,Nuala.
Just finished the Ingles and was actually at O Meson Novo the same night as you with my wife and daughter. Very nice people at this pension. We struggled a bit on a couple of days but you made me laugh describing how easy it all was!! Not only did we not walk straight through Siguiero to Santiago,we actually broke the walk at Ordes.(we must sound like wimps!) Mind you that was the plan all along. We just wanted a slow ramble this year and to enjoy the scenery etc. Plus we had a couple of nights in Santiago which was lovely. Next year we might follow your example and push ourselves a bit more.
Looking forward to seeing your photos.
Joe

Hi Joe, did you walk from Ferrol? That's much longer and harder than the walk from A Coruna! I am looking forward to walking from Ferrol sometime in the future - probably with my husband as he prefers a more sensible pace :)

Shame that we didn't meet up at Meson Nova. I had an early night and set off in the dark the next morning. It's a nice place - I really liked the 'Daddy' of the house.

You should be able to view the photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskkbtxqo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Joe, did you walk from Ferrol? That's much longer and harder than the walk from A Coruna! I am looking forward to walking from Ferrol sometime in the future - probably with my husband as he prefers a more sensible pace :)

Shame that we didn't meet up at Meson Nova. I had an early night and set off in the dark the next morning. It's a nice place - I really liked the 'Daddy' of the house.

You should be able to view the photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskkbtxqo
Hi Nuala.
Yes we walked from Ferrol. There is a lovely big hill just out of Pontedeume that I was not quite expecting so be ready!
The 'Daddy' is Antonio senior and he worked in Leeds for several years and I had a nice chat with him about that. His son is Antonio junior,He was born in Leeds but came to Spain with his parents when he was only 11 months old,He,likewise,was a gentleman.
I am just going to look at your photos
Good luck for the future
Joe and Pat

Lovely photos, Nuala! I've been thinking of walking the Coruña arm as well. I did the English Route from Ferrol in 2014, but earlier this year I drove along the 550 highway into Coruña and found it so beautiful I thought I should walk it too! I'm wondering how you found the hill up to Bruma? I've heard some say it's more challenging than coming from Ferrol, but curious on your take (or anyone else's).

How nice of St. Anthony to help you find your way out of Coruña! :D

Lovely photos, Nuala! I've been thinking of walking the Coruña arm as well. I did the English Route from Ferrol in 2014, but earlier this year I drove along the 550 highway into Coruña and found it so beautiful I thought I should walk it too! I'm wondering how you found the hill up to Bruma? I've heard some say it's more challenging than coming from Ferrol, but curious on your take (or anyone else's).

How nice of St. Anthony to help you find your way out of Coruña! :D

I really liked this route and I loved the fact that my first day was so quiet. The terrain was lovely and I sat at the side of the road quite a few times, to admire the view and take it all in. All in all, the shorter Camino Ingles was a perfect beginning to my walk from Santiago to Muxia (which was 'unfinished business' from my last Camino). If I'd had more time, I would probably have chosen to walk from Ferrol, but I've no regrets about any of it - it was perfect. I also had a very memorable day in Santiago before coming home.

The hill up to Bruma was OK. I don't remember it being particularly steep - just a little long. It didn't really bother me when I was doing it, but I was more tired than I expected at the end of the day. From all the comments I've read about the Ferrol route, I assumed that the approach to Bruma from A Coruna was much easier! Maybe someone who has done both routes can clarify this for us - I would be really interested to know.

And yes, the St. Anthony moment was funny. My mother is a big devotee and he's her 'lost and found' saint. It seemed appropriate to see the statue the moment that I realised I was no longer lost :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found the big hill up to Bruma (from Ferrol) to be only steep in a couple of places (more towards the beginning), otherwise it was just long. I've heard it takes an 'average' person an hour to get up it, but it took me an hour and ten minutes from Casa Julia to the turnoff near Vizoño. (My profile pic was actually taken at that very spot!)

The solitude of the English Route is also what's so appealing to me, glad to hear the confirmation that the route from Coruña is just as beautiful as it seemed from the car.

And yes, the St. Anthony moment was funny. My mother is a big devotee and he's her 'lost and found' saint. It seemed appropriate to see the statue the moment that I realised I was no longer lost :)

I married into an Italian family full of Anthonys, so when we travel we never get lost! ;););):p:p:p

I found the big hill up to Bruma (from Ferrol) to be only steep in a couple of places (more towards the beginning), otherwise it was just long. I've heard it takes an 'average' person an hour to get up it, but it took me an hour and ten minutes from Casa Julia to the turnoff near Vizoño. (My profile pic was actually taken at that very spot!)

The solitude of the English Route is also what's so appealing to me, glad to hear the confirmation that the route from Coruña is just as beautiful as it seemed from the car.

I married into an Italian family full of Anthonys, so when we travel we never get lost! ;););):p:p:p
Solitude of of the Inglés?? I've just finished it (19-24 September) and the albergues were full to overflowing.

Well, we walked in June 2014. I have had the impression that the amount of people on the Inglés this year has been unprecedented, but last year in June, we saw maybe 3 - 7 people walking each day and would only see other pilgrims in the main towns. The word is out now, it seems!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Solitude of of the Inglés?? I've just finished it (19-24 September) and the albergues were full to overflowing.
Gosh, I had a very different experience! I saw no pilgrims whatsoever between A Coruña and Meson do Vento. More on the trail between Meson do Vento and Sigueiro, but as I kept on walking to Santiago I saw nobody at all during the afternoon.

Things got a little busier between Santiago and Muxia, but the albergues were still pretty quiet. I think the rain may have put some people off continuing to Muxia/Finisterre.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back