• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Asturias airport.

Greenpanda

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino Frances
So my 5th Camino starts in a couple of months and I'll be walking out of the airport a couple of Km south and joining the del Norte just below the iglesia parroquial de Santiago del Monte where I hope to get my 1st stamp on the passport unless I can get one in the airport? I'll then walk on to Soto de Luina.
Interested to know if anyone else has done this and how many days they took to Santiago? I've planned
12/13.
Any thoughts out there?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So my 5th Camino starts in a couple of months and I'll be walking out of the airport a couple of Km south and joining the del Norte just below the iglesia parroquial de Santiago del Monte where I hope to get my 1st stamp on the passport unless I can get one in the airport? I'll then walk on to Soto de Luina.
Interested to know if anyone else has done this and how many days they took to Santiago? I've planned
12/13.
Any thoughts out there?
Hi. I've been looking at gronze and on my camino map when I continued from Luarca last year. Depending on your distance/ fitness levels I would myself allow 14/ 15 days for comfort. Daniel

Hi. I've been looking at gronze and on my camino map when I continued from Luarca last year. Depending on your distance/ fitness levels I would myself allow 14/ 15 days for comfort. Daniel
OK thanks Dilbin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Greenpanda,
from Soto de Luina to SdC it took me me 12 days (+ 1 day off). I was 67 at that time. So I think it is easy doable for a young man (and for a woman either).

Hi Greenpanda,
from Soto de Luina to SdC it took me me 12 days (+ 1 day off). I was 67 at that time. So I think it is easy doable for a young man (and for a woman either).
Actually now that you mention it we took a 3 day detour by the historic route through Vegadao so yes 11/ 12 days would be correct. Daniel

Hi Greenpanda,
Hi Josefus, I'm 62 and am very walking fit and on past Caminos have managed 30km+ a day so I expect to achieve this. My plane is booked on day 14 so I hope to comfortably make it. Thank you for your message

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked it and I was 64 at the time. I started in Irun. I think it took me 14 days to walk. I never wanted to walk more than 25K and the way I broke it up I ended up having a few shorter days than I really wanted but it worked out just fine. I just made this albergue recommendation yesterday but here it is again.
This is just a wonderful and special place. If you can stay there I know you will be glad you did.

I have walked it and I was 64 at the time. I started in Irun. I think it took me 14 days to walk. I never wanted to walk more than 25K and the way I broke it up I ended up having a few shorter days than I really wanted but it worked out just fine. I just made this albergue recommendation yesterday but here it is again.
This is just a wonderful and special place. If you can stay there I know you will be glad you did.
It looks really good but it could be in the middle of my stage between Mondededo and Vilalba but I will see. Thanks you for your recommendation I will make a not of it?. You walked from Irún to Santiago in 14 days? Wow

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It looks really good but it could be in the middle of my stage between Mondededo and Vilalba but I will see. Thanks you for your recommendation I will make a not of it?. You walked from Irún to Santiago in 14 days? Wow
Wow no!!!! It took me about 14 days to walk from where you are starting. I started my Camino in Irún. I walked the whole Camino in about 40 days. If I tried to walk from Irún to Santiago in 14 days I probably would’ve died somewhere between Bilbao and Santander probably much closer to Bilbao haha

Wow no!!!! It took me about 14 days to walk from where you are starting. I started my Camino in Irún. I walked the whole Camino in about 40 days. If I tried to walk from Irún to Santiago in 14 days I probably would’ve died somewhere between Bilbao and Santander probably much closer to Bilbao haha
Hahaha. I walked the Primitivo for 4 days with a crazy Catalan doing 40/50km a day. It was really good. He wanted to walk the Del Norte in 16 days but COVID stopped us trying. I'm very happy it did.

12/13.
Any thoughts out there?
Hello Greenpanda, I'm wondering how your walk is going. We are planning to start our walk in late September, also starting from the Asturias Airport. Our flight gets in around 1 p.m. so we plan on walking to Muros de Nalon for the first night. Would love to hear of your experience in this post pandemic world, and any recommendations for places to stay or avoid, surprises or disappointments. We also plan 12/13 days at this point. Many thanks! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Greenpanda, I'm wondering how your walk is going. We are planning to start our walk in late September, also starting from the Asturias Airport. Our flight gets in around 1 p.m. so we plan on walking to Muros de Nalon for the first night. Would love to hear of your experience in this post pandemic world, and any recommendations for places to stay or avoid, surprises or disappointments. We also plan 12/13 days at this point. Many thanks! Buen Camino!
Hi Mainpilgrim!. Well, it was all very straightforward Tbh. It's easy to join the Camino Norte from the airport (turn left outside the terminal building) It's about 2km just look at Google maps and the Camino Norte App. I walked about 28km on the 1sr day. In fact I completed the Camino in 11 days. It was around 325km so it was quite a lot of walking without a break. I probably pushed it a little to much as I quickly developed blisters and struggled toward the end. I mixed the routes with the 'tradtional and coast diversions' and I would recommend you do the same. Certainly the mountain route from Villamartin Grande to Gontan is a must but it's tough. The ascent us around 1200 meters and I did around 40km that day but it was brilliant. I couldn't believe how quiet it was 95% of the time I walked alone which I loved but there were familiar faces at some of the Albergues I used. I mixed Albergues with cheap single room hostels which I liked. Single rooms are often available for €30. Albergues from €6 to €12. I avoided joining the French way as long as I could joining just after Santiso. So on day 11 I joined the French way and walked straight into Santiago which was around 23km. I love Santiago and booked into the Hortis PR on bookin.com which is 100 metres from the square and 2mimd from the pilgrim passport office. Superb.
So, take your time and don't push it as hard as I did. 14 or 15 days is nice and easy. Buen Camino

Hi. I appreciate you are talking direct to someone else so ignore this if you like 👍 I would like to offer a suggestion to you which myself and 3 camino buddies did in 2019. We took the historic route to Vegadao rather than go through Ribadeo. It was such a unique and bonding 3 days. The Albergues were empty except for us and we formed a relationship which is still ongoing. Irish, Portugese and German. The Albergues were amazing with communal dinners, laundry etc and an interesting 3 stages itinerary. Before they built the bridge in Ribadeo pilgrims had to walk around the estuary through Vegadao. It is also nice as when the 3 days are complet you rejoin the route at Mondonado and meet many of the pilgrims you would have met prior to this detour. It is the original route so you are not going off Camino. Just a suggestion an eitherway Buen Camino, Daniel.
P.s It's the grey route on the map and is also explained on Gronze with a list of Albergues etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531-085846_MAPSME.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531-085846_MAPSME.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi Mainpilgrim!. Well, it was all very straightforward Tbh. It's easy to join the Camino Norte from the airport (turn left outside the terminal building) It's about 2km just look at Google maps and the Camino Norte App. I walked about 28km on the 1sr day. In fact I completed the Camino in 11 days. It was around 325km so it was quite a lot of walking without a break. I probably pushed it a little to much as I quickly developed blisters and struggled toward the end. I mixed the routes with the 'tradtional and coast diversions' and I would recommend you do the same. Certainly the mountain route from Villamartin Grande to Gontan is a must but it's tough. The ascent us around 1200 meters and I did around 40km that day but it was brilliant. I couldn't believe how quiet it was 95% of the time I walked alone which I loved but there were familiar faces at some of the Albergues I used. I mixed Albergues with cheap single room hostels which I liked. Single rooms are often available for €30. Albergues from €6 to €12. I avoided joining the French way as long as I could joining just after Santiso. So on day 11 I joined the French way and walked straight into Santiago which was around 23km. I love Santiago and booked into the Hortis PR on bookin.com which is 100 metres from the square and 2mimd from the pilgrim passport office. Superb.
So, take your time and don't push it as hard as I did. 14 or 15 days is nice and easy. Buen Camino
Thanks so much for your suggestions, Greenpanda! Your suggestion to take the mountain route definitely has us thinking. It appears that it ends up about 5km shorter than the traditional route, but the steep ascent that you reference does make me just a bit nervous. Perhaps by the time we reach that stretch we'll feel more comfortable with the idea. The Santiso option is also worth considering. Thank you for your input. I'm glad your Camino went well. As always, Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. I appreciate you are talking direct to someone else so ignore this if you like 👍 I would like to offer a suggestion to you which myself and 3 camino buddies did in 2019. We took the historic route to Vegadao rather than go through Ribadeo. It was such a unique and bonding 3 days. The Albergues were empty except for us and we formed a relationship which is still ongoing. Irish, Portugese and German. The Albergues were amazing with communal dinners, laundry etc and an interesting 3 stages itinerary. Before they built the bridge in Ribadeo pilgrims had to walk around the estuary through Vegadao. It is also nice as when the 3 days are complet you rejoin the route at Mondonado and meet many of the pilgrims you would have met prior to this detour. It is the original route so you are not going off Camino. Just a suggestion an eitherway Buen Camino, Daniel.
P.s It's the grey route on the map and is also explained on Gronze with a list of Albergues etc.
Thank you, Daniel. It sounds as if that was a wonderful experience for you. It certainly is something to consider. Buen Camino in all your travels!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back