• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Biarritz to Bayonne?

Brian E

Time of past OR future Camino
May/ 2018
May 2019
Sept 2019
Hey all. Planning another Camino Frances for the first week of May '22 and one goal is to try and visit, stay, and/or explore different towns and places as much as possible and feasible this time around. So with that I have decided to spend a night in Bayonne before heading to SJPD to start. I realize I could easily get a taxi or bus from Biarritz airport but thinking I might just walk it instead (about 9km it looks like).

Has anyone walked it before and is it a decent and safe walk or would I be confined to a busy road or anything else perhaps that wouldn't make for an enjoyable walk?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Godgle Maps & street view should answer that question. It looks perfectly doable and there may well be an off-road route.
You might want to consider taking the Baztan down to Pamplona, bypassing StJdPdP entirely
Thanks. I did look at the map and it seemed fine too but was hoping maybe someone had a first hand account or super secret path they took. Oh, and I enjoyed that first day walking over the Pyrenees way too much to skip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PM the writer, Vacajoe
Thanks for the shoutout MSPath! Yes, just walked it in mid-September 2021 as well as in May 2019!

It is easily doable, but not all that exciting. The little village next to the airport is perhaps the most quaint part about the route and that lasts for about a minute 😂. You do get to stretch your legs a bit after a flight, travel through a community that was part of the secret network for helping downed allied pilots escape occupied France during WW2, and even pass by a Decathlon for some last-minute hiking supplies! Plus you can spend that bus fare on something more useful, like a nice glass of vihno tinto.

Personally, I like it since it connects me to the start of the Camino - we have twice walked from Bayonne/Biarritz onward, once to SJPdP and currently to Bilbao. I really recommend both those journeys if you have the time.

PM me if you’d like to discuss exact walking routes and I can help you find one that works best for you (busy street vs neighborhood, etc).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola! I have walked FROM the plane at Biarritz airport to Santiago but on the Norte. I have also hiked from Hendaye to Saint Jean Pied de Port on the GR10 and then taken the Françes.

I did not realise that I ‘should’ have gone to the cathedral at Bayonne to get my ‘first’ stamp! (I have made up for it since!)

Anyway there is a Campanille hotel for food and an adjacent cheap motel (Première Classe or equivalent) very near the airport. The next morning I tried to locate the ‘official’ trail but gave up and headed for a while on the edge of the Nationale before turning to the coast to BIDART. From there to Hendaye it is SENSATIONAL along the coast and even beach.

Tip - book somewhere in Hendaye rather than the Spanish side. If heading on the Norte, there is a ferry at the end of Hendaye which crosses the estuary/port to take you the short distance to HONDARRIBIA and on the Norte the coastal way.

Irun is not one of my favoured places…

Irun is not one of my favoured places…
Hah, I loved Irun!!!! 😂. And this is why so many choices exist on the Camino!!! 👍

I tried to locate the ‘official’ trail
Yes, the Bayonne-St Jean de Luz path does pass by the airport, but you have to circle around the runways to reach it and by that time you could be halfway to the cathedral already! Although It’s a nicer walk on that route, I don’t think it’s worth the extra time and distance.

It is safe and very commercial. All paved sidewalks along 4 lanes roads, except a short section near the beginning. The bus is only 1 euro. It would give more time to explore Bayonne. You could also buy a day use bus ticket and go to Biarritz to explore before you go to Bayonne. There is lots too see and savor in both towns.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey all. Planning another Camino Frances for the first week of May '22 and one goal is to try and visit, stay, and/or explore different towns and places as much as possible and feasible this time around. So with that I have decided to spend a night in Bayonne before heading to SJPD to start. I realize I could easily get a taxi or bus from Biarritz airport but thinking I might just walk it instead (about 9km it looks like).

Has anyone walked it before and is it a decent and safe walk or would I be confined to a busy road or anything else perhaps that wouldn't make for an enjoyable walk?

Thanks!
Theres also a ‘surfy’ type hostel near the beach in Biarritz, about an hours walk from the airport, next time I’m in Biarritz I’ll maybe give it a look .

I went to Bayonne Cathedral to buy my credencial and get the first sello in it when I set out to walk the Camino del Norte. I had directions from there to Hendaye, but I hadn't committed them to memory. So, when the lady who sold me the credencial told me to walk down to the river and find the signpost, that's what I did. I saw the attached signpost. As you can see, you can go from here to SJPdP, though I wanted to go to Hendaye. I followed the direction given along the River Nive. I arrived in Ustaritz without seeing any signs saying that I should have diverted from the river. There were no camino signs in Ustaritz, so I walked back to Bayonne (still without seeing a sign for Hendaye or SJPdP) and followed the directions to Hendaye that I'd printed off.
There is no need to take a ferry to Irún from Hendaye as there is a bridge. So, if you want to walk from Bayonne to SJPdP, just make sure you have proper directions!
1-Santiago 2018 013.JPG

If you do cross the international bridge between Hendaye, France and Irun, Spain pause for a moment to ponder the chances of history and remember the multitudes who crossed that bridge in great danger during WW2. The border was closed in 1946 as shown in this Pathe film

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank mspath for the link to the Pathé film.

My father walked from Breedonck concentration camp near Antwerp (Belgium) through France and over the Pyrenees before being captured by the Spanish... but finally made it to London via Lisbon...

Anyway, further on from Bert45 comment about not needing to take a ferry from Hendaye to Irun .... the point is missed! The fab ferry is from the far end of the harbour/estuary at Hendaye to Hondarribia on the coast, rather than the inland route over this bridge at Irun. You can then take the coast path - a great alternative and much quieter spectacular!

Theres also a ‘surfy’ type hostel near the beach in Biarritz, about an hours walk from the airport, next time I’m in Biarritz I’ll maybe give it a look .
That hostel is in a neighborhood called La Negresse, the Biarritz train station is nearby. There are some yellow arrows that lead pilgrims west from the shops in la Negresse towards the hostel and then a footpath along Lac de Mouriscot and eventaully to the D911, where you turn left and walk up the hill to Bidart and join up with the Corniche which is also the Camino. Last time I checked the hostel is part of a network of European hostels and they have a modest membership.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back