• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Geneva or Lyon to Le Puy.

Michael Ylias

Michael & Darion
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte/Finisterre (2015)
Frances/Fin. (2016)
Norte/Primitivo/Fin. (2017)
Gabinnensis/Podiensis (2019)
A question on which is the better route to walk to Le Puy to continue onto Saint Jean Pied de Port. My wife and I are planning to walk the Le Puy route in June 2019 and will either fly into Geneva or Lyon. We plan to hit the ground walking, keen to start walking to Le Puy. Which would be the better starting point - Geneva or Lyon?
Apologies for the subjective nature of the question but considerations would include ease of getting to the start of walking, natural beauty, historical interest, number of gites/camping sites and waymarking.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Michael

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Which would be the better starting point - Geneva or Lyon?
Partially it depends on your available time: Le Puy to SJPP will take 5-6 weeks; Geneva to Le Puy takes around 4 weeks; Lyon is about half-way. The main route runs from Geneva and passes to the south of Lyon. I have not looked at the routing coming out of Lyon, but I know there is a guidebook available from the Amis so there must be waymarking.

There is a forum section on the Geneva route, and my blog (link in sig block) covers Geneva to the Rhone, which is the extent of my forward progress to date (stopped due to excessive heat in September).

Geneva to Le Puy is around 350 kms .I have walked it twice using the yellow guide available from the Les Amis de St Jacques de Compostelle Rhône/Alpes.The Lyons- Le Puy guide is also available from them.
Both times it took me 15 days .I believe the
average is 18 days.It is a beautiful route and I am sûre Lyons to Le Puy is equally beautiful
although I have never walked it.
The much longer route Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port which I have walked 3 times takes about 4 weeks.Check out all the available info on the Le Puy section which has already been referenced. Bon chemin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Geneva to Le Puy is so wonderful! So good I am planning walking Geneva- Le Puy-Finisterre again ASAP!

You can read my day to day experiences with photo's here

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/from-geneva-to-the-end-of-the-world.40650/

It is well marked with good accommodation, but I recommend the 'yellow guide' mentioned by Mournes above for accommodation. There is also The FFRP topoguide ‘GR65 St-Jacques de Compostelle: Geneva - Le Puy-en-Velay’. Has excellent maps and route descriptions. In French but easy to understand.

Bon Chemin!
Davey

Both Geneva and Lyon are minor airports, so it doesn't matter which one you choose.
I had a look at the way from Lyon, and Lyon is much bigger than Geneva. So the exit may involve more walking through the suburbs.
I walked from Geneva, and in 1/2 a day, we were in the countryside.
Get both guides from the Association Rhône Alpes des Amis de St Jacques, the yellow and the red one. They're cheap and they'll be posted to you. http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6
I just sent an email to them, and they emailed the guides to me in Australia.
Buen Camino
Andrew

Thankyou all for the prompt replies. Walking from Geneva sounds like the better option as we do have the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Davey, I read and enjoyed your posts when I was considering walking the Le Puy route. I just scrolled through your pictures and did not see that you walked the Cele Valley variant. Maybe you have in the past, but if not, you must next time! It is totally amazing and the ancient villages are very unique set against the backdrop of the cliffs along the way!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back