• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Irun

JimmyH

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, 2016; Chemin de Jacques 2016; Via de la Plata / Camino Sanabres 2017.
Hi all, I am walking the French Via Podiensis camino in June from Conques to SJPdP, then from there to Irun. I will then have about a week to walk the Norte … however, I have heard there are a fair few bits of the Norte that are on road (which I do NOT like!).

So just wondering if people can advise: if I start at Irun and go for a week, is this a good section? i.e., does it have lovely track/trail walking by the coast / great views, with minimal road walking?

Or should I start somewhere further along? i.e., is there another week-long section that has lovely track/trail walking by the coast / great views, with minimal road walking?

(Note: I don't mind walking on quiet roads, but I do NOT want to walk next to busy roads / on the shoulder of major highways etc)

Climbing is not a problem for me.

Many thanks in advance!

Jim in Australia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first week on the Norte (Irun to Bilbao) I don't recall there being any road walking on truly busy roads. However, it has been 18 months since my walk so I will be interested in what other pilgrims have to say.

My recollection of the first week is a lot of up and down on rocky trails with gorgeous coastal views. Well worth the effort required.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am heading that direction next week and plan to start in Pamplona and hike in reverse to SJPP then jump to IRUN and do the Norte for eight days (at least Irun to Bilboa) and then jump to the Primativo. I chose those three sections after a ton of reading and communication to pick the best section on the Norte (and, I too, do NOT want to walk on roads). I think we have chosen well -- but I will let you know in about two weeks.

Hi, I walk it in Feb 17 and as far as I remember the first few days are mostly off road. The northern route does have quite a bit of road waking and I'll never forget the long straight road walk between Zamudio to Bilbao. You pass Athlectic Bilbao's football grounds by the way, just in case you like football! It's the last bit of road walking until you join the last hill climb before you see Bilbao. I know I did it "off season" but the roads, some major, some not, aren't that busy really. The northern does have some lovely views and I enjoyed them tremendously until I joined the Primitivo. That's another story!

Good luck and don't let the mounting runners bother you!! Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked it last year and most of it was on disused country roads or trails. There was perhaps 2km of a paved path by highway just out of Irun, but there was almost no traffic.

I am heading that direction next week and plan to start in Pamplona and hike in reverse to SJPP then jump to IRUN and do the Norte for eight days (at least Irun to Bilboa) and then jump to the Primativo. I chose those three sections after a ton of reading and communication to pick the best section on the Norte (and, I too, do NOT want to walk on roads). I think we have chosen well -- but I will let you know in about two weeks.
That would be great, thanks !

Thank you everyone for all these replies … looks like Irun to Bilbao is a goer! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May I also ask, everyone: Bilbao to Santander … is that also a nice scenic walk / not too much road walking? Mochas gracias !!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts! I'm starting in Irun on April 26th, planning to go to Bilbao then hop over to the Primativo as well (starting in Oviedo). I only have a couple of weeks so thought those 2 sections sounded the most interesting. I have no problems with hills either and would rather avoid the traffic. Especially interested in how you get from the norte to the primativo.

My rough schedule has me arriving in Irun about the 21st. There are buses that run regularly between Bilbao and Oviedo: Alsa and Ouibus. The latter company seems to be "direct" and faster, but I have never used it before. Alsa must have a layover with a bad connection because it is a longer time schedule -- but they are reputable. Anyway, that is my plan to get from Bilbao to Oviedo at the current time -- but I will worry about that later, because I stay pretty flexible in my scheduling. Perhaps we will cross paths! Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all, I am walking the French Via Podiensis camino in June from Conques to SJPdP, then from there to Irun. I will then have about a week to walk the Norte … however, I have heard there are a fair few bits of the Norte that are on road (which I do NOT like!).

So just wondering if people can advise: if I start at Irun and go for a week, is this a good section? i.e., does it have lovely track/trail walking by the coast / great views, with minimal road walking?

Or should I start somewhere further along? i.e., is there another week-long section that has lovely track/trail walking by the coast / great views, with minimal road walking?

(Note: I don't mind walking on quiet roads, but I do NOT want to walk next to busy roads / on the shoulder of major highways etc)

Many thanks in advance!

Jim in Australia

The North coast is exquisite but also consider jumping to Ferrol, walk a week, get the compostela?...

My favorite part of the Norte was the first part in the Basque country, plus you'll pass through or stop in San Sebastián, a personal favorite.

I found that the Norte through Cantabria had the most asphalt, once entering Asturias the situation got better. As others have said, take as many detours as you can to follow the coast and get off the pavement.

Many thanks in advance!

Jim in Australia

I just finished the Norte starting in Irun. The first week is the best, forests, coastal views, beautiful friendly Basque hamlets. If you do decide to walk stage 1 to San Sebastien make sure you take the more demanding ALPINISTA/RIDGE/ PURGATORIO route (vs the southside / backside of the “mountain” (700m) to enjoy pure coastal splendor but be wise to weather conditions. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Many thanks in advance!

Jim in Australia
Hi Jim The first part of El Norte from Irun was very memorable for me. Challenging with amazing views. Another memorable part is walking into Llanes . Zumaia and Zarautz. Not to be missed also Maggie

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back