• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Le Puy in winter?

Julia Black

Time of past OR future Camino
Via podiensi (2017)
Hi all, intending to walk Camino this year but will have to do in stages as insufficient free time to do in one go. For various reasons promised myself that I would start in Puy en Velay and my first window of opportunity is 3rd week February 2017. Only have approx 20 days or so free, but will get as far as I can without rushing. Totally prepared mentally for reality of constant rain/ snow etc and will be as prepared physically/equipment-wise as possible. Question 1 - am I mad to consider starting this route in February? and question 2? if not, would welcome equipment/accommodation/miscellaneous tips please? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Julia,
Welcom to the forum! Just to say that I changed the title of your thread. You had written "Vdlp in winter?" Well it turns out that Vdlp is the abbreviation we use for the Via de la Plata (which starts in Sevilla and heads north to Santiago).

I can't help you with winter walking on this route, but I did walk it in springtime and it was lovely. I remember hearing that the Aubrac region gets serious winter weather, though. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Julia,
Welcom to the forum! Just to say that I changed the title of your thread. You had written "Vdlp in winter?" Well it turns out that Vdlp is the abbreviation we use for the Via de la Plata (which starts in Sevilla and heads north to Santiago).

I can't help you with winter walking on this route, but I did walk it in springtime and it was lovely. I remember hearing that the Aubrac region gets serious winter weather, though. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi, Julia,

Hi Laurie - many thanks for welcome - I realised that I had used the wrong abbreviation after posting it and tried to change it ( unsuccessfully) so thanks for changing it for me. Yes, I'm reckoning on Aubrac being snowy but from my investigations so far, seems the weather should be on an upward curve, so fingers crossed! atb J

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Le Puy en Velay last February, there were nine days in the last fourteen with rain or snow. Nine of the first fourteen days of March had rain or snow. In the higher elevations, that may all have been snow! (Small places do not maintain historical weather calendars, so I cannot find information for places like Aumont-Aubrac.) Whether that is an upward curve is up to the beholder! ;) Bon chemin!

You will reach the Plateau d'Aubrac about 4 days out of Le Puy. It reaches 4,000 ft above sea level and most of it is over 3,000 ft. If you encounter much snow here, and it is likely you will in February, you could easily lose track of the path. It is possible that the tracks of other hikers could mark the way, but I would worry about losing my way. It is desolate. I am a conservative person, so maybe I am being over-cautious, but I have walked this portion twice and I would not do it during the winter months. There are also steep downhills and uphills into and out of Monistrol and Conques which in snowy or icy conditions would require strap on Stabilicers or other spiked/traction footgear.

Starting from Cahors or Figeac, both of which have railway access, would be desirable alternatives because the elevation is much closer to sea level and the elevation gains are much smaller than the earlier sections of this hike.

Tom

Last edited:
You will reach the Plateau d'Aubrac about 4 days out of Le Puy. It reaches 4,000ft above sea level and most of it is over 3,000 ft. If you encounter much snow here, and it is likely you will in February, you could easily lose track of the path. It is possible that the tracks of other hikers could mark the way, but I would worry about losing my way. It is desolate. I am a conservative person, so maybe I am being over-cautious, but I have walked this portion twice and I would not do it during the winter months. There are also steep downhills and uphills into and out of Monistrol and Conques which in snowy or icy conditions would require strap on Stabilicers or other spiked/traction footgear.

Starting from Cahors or Figeac, both of which have railway access, would be desirable alternatives because the elevation is much closer to sea level and the elevation gains are much smaller than the earlier sections of this hike.

Tom

Thank you both, Tom and Falcon for your helpful info - I had searched for historic weather data/reports to make a decision but not managed to get enough info to really make an assessment - advice from the ground is what was needed... I'm a glass half full sort of person, so over-cautious is especially welcome! I think you have successfully answered question 1 so will delay walking Le Puy -> Plateau bit until later in the year. And thanks for useful suggestion of alternative starting places. Best wishes for the New Year - may light shine upon all who walk in 2017 & buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since you are walking in stages anyway, why not walk stage B before stage A? You can make it from Cahors to SJPP in the 20 days you have in February. Then, later on when the weather is better and you have another window of opportunity, you can walk the Le Puy to Cahors section, which will be about 21 days.

Take Falcon's remarks about weather quite seriously. Crossing the Aubrac plateau in February this year (colder than usual) would mean snowshoes, as well as corresponding cold-weather clothing. And did anyone mention the likelihood of not being able to follow the track? The French marks are not as frequent as the ones in Spain, and with there being no other walkers, the snow will fill the rutted path, and there will be no tracks to follow.

Besides, since there are almost zero walkers, the lodgings tend to be quite closed. These are tiny little towns (a few hundred at most).

Many thanks for stages suggestion - & I've taken both Falcon & Tom's remarks seriously and as you can see from my previous reply to them, I've already decided not to do Le Puy -> (stage A) in February, but later on in the year when the weather is better, blessings JB

Many thanks for stages suggestion - & I've taken both Falcon & Tom's remarks seriously and as you can see from my previous reply to them, I've already decided not to do Le Puy -> (stage A) in February, but later on in the year when the weather is better, blessings JB

Wise Girl.
Safe and happy trip later in the yr.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with the advice here above. The main point is that there are a few places where you will lose your track if there is snow. Do not forget 2 woman lost and died in the Pyrenees a few years ago lost in the snow. So i would still do it but ask the persons in the gite about the snow and do not take any risk. To do it for the proud to have done it is a manifestation of our ego and not the inner satisfaction of the Chemin.
There are also the challenge of the gites. Many are close in the winter. Please prepare well and phone before you start. I have walked in the winter time and had a lot of difficulty to find to sleep. I almost gave up but finally stay with some accueil pelerin and could do one week.. It was a wonderfull walk and i wish you can do it.
I suppose you have the clothes for winter . Be carefull your fingers and ears!!!!
"Bon chemin" and please share your experiment on this blog afterward

Thanks for all of the above comments. We are doing Le Puy to St Jean in April / May 2018 and would be interested in any comments from people that have walked this path at a similar time of year. Thanks Neil

Very good choice; As you know May is the month with the most pelgrims on this french part; It is beautifull spring. As you know the Aubrac is a high plateau , so the spring is later than other part of France; I you go end of May you will be in millions of flowers; this was the case in the Sauvage, " un tapis de fleurs"
What are the counterindications: you have to be prepared for the rain: some years are ok but some years are really wet; please check the meteo before you start; also my wife got allergy to pollen because of the flowers;
Bon Chemin.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Aubrac section in April/May and had to tramp through a snowstorm that covered up all the route markings. It's only thanks to the group I was with that I made it out at all, and the next day was perfectly sunny and beautiful!

I'd suggest sticking with a group if you're hiking the Aubrac in winter.

Hi all just wanted to let you know that I did walk stage B of my Chemin de Compostelle in February. I only had 11 days free to walk in the end and I decided to start in Figeac and finish in Condom and had a fantastic time. One of my sons came with me for the first few days and we went slowly as we wanted time to explore the Pilgrim towns we were going through, the rest of the time I was on my own. I didn't meet any other pilgrims and people kept telling me I was the first pilgrim of 2017! Was incredibly blessed by the weather (sun for 8 days, cloud for 3 but no rain in the day!) and stayed in a mixture of places - a couple of hotels, some gîte etapes, the Convent at Vaylat, and AirB&B came to the rescue a couple of times. (Note - some of the gîte etapes that are supposed to be open all year had no heating or problems with hot water so wouldn't accept pilgrims). Met and stayed with some wonderful people, in fantastic countryside and am already booked to do stage A from Le Puy en Velay at end of May. Would have had a more challenging time had it been raining, of course - the good weather really helped. Am aiming to carry a couple of kilos fewer next time - being a novice I took slightly too much; partly rain and snow stuff (completely unused) but the main problem was I used one of my other son's rucksacks which I hadn't weighed beforehand - turns out it's over 2 kg! Getting my own smaller much-more-lightweight one... Bon Chemin to all - Ultraïa!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back