• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Lisbon in May 2016

Stripey Socks

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Camino Brains Trust
I will start walking from Lisbon on 12 May 2016 with the view to arriving in SdC on Sunday 5 June.

This is my first Spring Camino (having completed both Frances and Via de la Plata in Autumn) and I am wondering whether I will need to book ahead ie how busy is Portugal in Spring??

I plan to have a rest day in Coimbra and also Porto - then will walk the coastal route until Caminha and then walk up the river to Tui.

Any advice would be appreciated and hope to see some friendly faces along the way.
Thanks
Mel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I recall correctly, magwood walked the Portuguese route from Lisbon in Spring last year. She has a good blog with lots of useful information. I walked in September and certainly didn't need reservations after Lisbon but they would have been very helpful in Porto. Bom Caminho!

If I recall correctly, magwood walked the Portuguese route from Lisbon in Spring last year. She has a good blog with lots of useful information. I walked in September and certainly didn't need reservations after Lisbon but they would have been very helpful in Porto. Bom Caminho!

Thanks for that Michael. I will search for her blog now...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
you can find it here http://magwood.me/camino-portuguese/ (thank you @MichaelSG). You won't need to book ahead. But look at the resources section of this forum to find excellent ideas on how to shorten some of the long stages between Lisbon and Porto.
Bom caminho!

I will start walking from Lisbon on 12 May 2016 with the view to arriving in SdC on Sunday 5 June.

This is my first Spring Camino (having completed both Frances and Via de la Plata in Autumn) and I am wondering whether I will need to book ahead ie how busy is Portugal in Spring??

I plan to have a rest day in Coimbra and also Porto - then will walk the coastal route until Caminha and then walk up the river to Tui.

Any advice would be appreciated and hope to see some friendly faces along the way.
Thanks
Mel
Hi, Stripey Socks, I hope that we will have an updated guide from Lisbon before you go. Have you seen the online guide from Lisbon in the resources section?

And btw,the caminho from Lisboa in springtime should be beautiful. I walked in April, and it was gorgeous.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Stripey Socks, I hope that we will have an updated guide from Lisbon before you go. Have you seen the online guide from Lisbon in the resources section?

And btw,the caminho from Lisboa in springtime should be beautiful. I walked in April, and it was gorgeous.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I have downloaded your current guide and look forward to seeing the updated one when it is done. Thanks so much for your hard work on these documents. It is a massive undertaking and much appreciated. Mel

I walked the CP in May 2015. First Camino. Great weather. Be careful on highways (5 Fatima pilgrims were killed elsewhere by car on my first day. May is the Fatima anniversary, thus very busy there). People complain about cobblestones, but it's not a problem with good hiking boots (IMO). People complain about boring industrial areas, but so what - that's the Camino. I didn't walk to look at flowers the whole way. It is what it is. I was very intentional about breaking stages into more reasonable distances (I didn't know if I could walk long distances). Two short days instead of one long one. Time includes all stops during the day. The information on this forum is/was invaluable.

No need to reserve south of Porto. Should have called ahead to reserve Porto. I was lucky to find a place in Coimbra due to the student festival (aka drunk-fest). Google it to see if you will be in town at the same time. It was an experience to see, but could have been difficult to find a bed. If you stay at the Convent, make a stop at the Albergaria City Hall and have them call ahead for you. Try to schedule your day off NOT on a Sunday. It will be boring. I called 2 days ahead for Corgo (Fernada's) since I knew she would be full.

If anyone likes, PM me for a link to my Facebook day-by-day journal.

I only took one day off at Porto. If I was to do over, I would take more days off. Tomar is nice - Templar Castle there.

I'm seriously considering VdlP for my next Camino. Since you've walked that, any input you have is appreciated (maybe PM so not to clutter up this thread).

Cathedral Se, Lisbon - Moscavida 10 km (6.06 miles walked in 2.5 hours)
Moscavida - Alverca 25 km (15.24 miles walked in 6.9 hours)
Alverca - Azambaja 20 km (12.7 miles walked in 5.7 hours)
Azambaja - Porto de Muge 18 km (11.25 miles walked in 5.2 hours)
Porto de Muge - Santarem non walking day - sick - got a ride
Santarem - Golega 12 km (7.68 miles walked in 4 hours)
Golega - Tomar 33 km (20.2 miles walked in 10 hours)
Tomar - Alvaiazere 23 km (14.45 miles walked in 7 hours)
Alvaiazere - Alvorge 24 km (15.1 miles walked in 7.7 hours)
Alvorge - Cernache 27 km (17 miles walked in 8.3 hours)
Cernache - Coimbra 13 km (8.21 miles walked in 4.7 hours)
Coimbra - Mealhada 19 km (11.8 miles walked in 7.5 hours)
Mealhada - Agueda 26 km (16 miles walked in 7.5 hours)
Agueda - Albergaria +4km to Convent 19 km (11.6 miles walked in 6.9 hours)
Albergaria - Sao Joao da Madeira 26 km (16.28 miles walked in 7.6 hours)
Sao Joao da Madeira - Porto 39 km (24.2 miles walked in 10.3 hours)
Porto - Vila do Conte (train to Matasinhos) 26 km (16 miles walked in 8.8 hours)
Vila do Conte - Barcelos 31 km (19.2 miles walked in 9.7 hours)
Barcelos - Corgo (Fernada's!) 20 km (12.41 miles walked in 6.3 hours)
Corgo - Pointe de Lima 15 km (9.1 miles walked in 4.6 hours)
Pointe de Lima - Rubiaes (recommend O Ninho) 18 km (11.3 miles walked in 5.6 hours)
Rubiaes - Tui, Spain 20 km (12.65 miles walked in 7.5 hours)
Tui, Spain - Mos 24 km (14.77 miles walked in 6.8 hours)
Mos - Pointvedra 29 km (17.9 miles walked in 9.5 hours)
Pointvedra - Caldas de Reis 24 km (14.73 miles walked in 7.22 hours)
Caldas de Reis - Padron +2.1km to Scala Hotel 20 km (12.5 miles walked in 4.5 hours)
Padron - Santiago 23 km (14 miles walked in 6.35 hours)

I walked the CP in May 2015. First Camino. Great weather. Be careful on highways (5 Fatima pilgrims were killed elsewhere by car on my first day. May is the Fatima anniversary, thus very busy there). People complain about cobblestones, but it's not a problem with good hiking boots (IMO). People complain about boring industrial areas, but so what - that's the Camino. I didn't walk to look at flowers the whole way. It is what it is. I was very intentional about breaking stages into more reasonable distances (I didn't know if I could walk long distances). Two short days instead of one long one. Time includes all stops during the day. The information on this forum is/was invaluable.

No need to reserve south of Porto. Should have called ahead to reserve Porto. I was lucky to find a place in Coimbra due to the student festival (aka drunk-fest). Google it to see if you will be in town at the same time. It was an experience to see, but could have been difficult to find a bed. If you stay at the Convent, make a stop at the Albergaria City Hall and have them call ahead for you. Try to schedule your day off NOT on a Sunday. It will be boring. I called 2 days ahead for Corgo (Fernada's) since I knew she would be full.

I only took one day off at Porto. If I was to do over, I would take more days off. Tomar is nice - Templar Castle there.

I'm seriously considering VdlP for my next Camino. Since you've walked that, any input you have is appreciated (maybe PM so not to clutter up this thread).

Porto - Vila do Conte (train to Matasinhos) 26 km (16 miles walked in 8.8 hours)
Pointe de Lima - Rubiaes (recommend O Ninho) 18 km (11.3 miles walked in 5.6 hours)
Caldas de Reis - Padron +2.1km to Scala Hotel 20 km (12.5 miles walked in 4.5 hours)

Thanks for the tips. It is good to hear that the weather may be kind to me even if the traffic isn't! I will try to message you now...Mel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great advice and report Steve but I have to ask. Did you find a shortcut on this stage to Golega? This is the point where my plan went out the window. After the long walk to get to Santarem (I foolishly - foolish for me - tried to follow the suggested stages in the guidebook), I could only make it from Santarem to Azinhaga which I had as 24km and still another 8km or so short of Golega. Did I miss a shortcut?

Great advice and report Steve but I have to ask. Did you find a shortcut on this stage to Golega? This is the point where my plan went out the window. After the long walk to get to Santarem (I foolishly - foolish for me - tried to follow the suggested stages in the guidebook), I could only make it from Santarem to Azinhaga which I had as 24km and still another 8km or so short of Golega. Did I miss a shortcut?

Nice catch. Coming into Santerem was a sick day for me. A ride from the Muge Quinta owner got me to Santarem Hostel (Mario) early. I basically vegged out the rest of the day. Still 'recuperating' I needed a shorter day. After walking down the hill from Santarem, I found the train station and rode for two exits. It left me in the middle of nowhere (small station - no people anywhere!). I had an idea how to reconnect with the Camino and found it near Quinta da Broa. Thus the shorter walking day. (speaking of nice catch: my hometown Kansas City Royals just won the World Series last night. Woo-hoo!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hi,

I passed Frances Camino three months ago, and I'm planing to go to Portugal camino from Lisboa to Santiago at 2016, july/august. I will travel from Croatia.

Can you tell me please something about albergues in Lisabon and Porto ( are they organized well, do I have to reserve first, costs etc.)

Also, how about Portugese routes? Are they marked well?

Regards, Lj

Hi,

I passed Frances Camino three months ago, and I'm planing to go to Portugal camino from Lisboa to Santiago at 2016, july/august. I will travel from Croatia.

Can you tell me please something about albergues in Lisabon and Porto ( are they organized well, do I have to reserve first, costs etc.)

Also, how about Portugese routes? Are they marked well?

Regards, Lj
Hi, Lj,

I just posted a link to some good online forum resources on this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/distance-between-lisbon-and-sdc.37057/

You should also definitely check out the Vialusitana.org webpage. Though most of it is in Portuguese, in my experience they have the most up to date information on albergues and accommodations generally. http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

The Via Lusitana is a LIsbon-based, Friends of the Camino association, and they are a tireless bunch of volunteers who do their best to keep the markings in good shape between Lisbon and as far north as they can get, where other groups pitch in as well. I would say that the markings have improved dramatically since I first walked in 2009, I think it was. People report a little confusion sometimes (highlighted in our online guides) but no one has disappeared yet!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dobar dan Lj,

I was a first time walker and used Bierley's guidebook. Unfortunately, I've lost the guidebook (uuugggg!!!!), so this list might be incomplete. I reviewed my journal for information. The accommodations were satisfactory unless otherwise noted. If no price is mentioned, I couldn't remember. I did not have any bed bugs at any of these locations. South of Porto most are private albergues not public. No need to reserve south of Porto. Arrows are mostly good. Got lost walking out of Tomar. Even Brierly's mentions bad arrows there. Still missed it!

Moscavida Youth hostel. A short first day walk. My plane arrived in the morning and I started walking from downtown. Metro is easy. This shortened the first stage. 15-16 Euros? The Cathedral Se was OUT of Pilgrim Credentials. Buy one via mail before you go.

Alverca. A 1/2 km before the railroad station (you see it straight ahead), take the overpass to the left into town. This takes you off the Camino. There are several pensions there.

Azambuja. The Pilgrim albergue in town was locked! The market that was supposed to keep the key did not have it, did not know where it was, and did not care. Ended up at Flora Hotel. Two of us shared a room for 15 Euros each, or 20 for a single bedroom. Others stayed at Bombeiros Voluntarios.

Muge. This stop made 2 easy stages out of one longer one. Stayed at the Quinta coming into the small town. I was misled by Bierly's map and stayed walking on the highway. Somewhere I missed an arrow which would have taken me right by the Quinta. I don't think it's used much (run down) and the manager is not always there. No wi-fi. No hot water. 15 Euros. But the suite was HUGE and large enough to hold a family of 4. Kitchen, TV, Sofa, etc. A room like this in the U.S. is $150+. Or keep going to Santarem.

Santarem Hostel run by Mario. Nice accommodation. Ask to see his guitar room and the yellow Camino guitar pick I gave him. Mario is active on this forum. That's where I bought a Pilgrim Credential. This is not the same as N1 Hostel.

Golega. Solo Duro albergue. It was OK.

Tomar. Tomar 2300 public hostel. Organized staff. Good location. Newer. A good town to stay an extra day to rest. Templar Castle fortress.

Alvaiazere. A very difficult walking day. Pinoheiros albergue. Toward the back of church on the town square.

Alvorge. Alvorge isn't much of a town. Just a little commerce on the main street. Pick up the key at the café on the town square (then take it back). Very new accommodations. Nice. No wi-fi when I was there, but maybe now. Albergue is hidden. There is a building to the right and rear of the church. The albergue entrance is on the far side, lower level.

Cernache. Rabacal was unimpressive — glad I didn't stop there. Stop and rest at the Roman ruins in Coimbriga. Look for the scallop shell on the building - left side of street. It was locked and no one answered the intercom. I called the number posted and in 10-15 minutes a family showed up and let me in. Kitchen with market across the street. TV. Wi-Fi. 15 Euros(?)

Coimbra. Short walking day to big town. Stayed at the Residencial Moderna. Difficult to find. Not that great. 35 Euros for private room. There was a convent (?) coming into town that others stayed at, but further away from downtown activities. Beware the Student Festival (mid-May).

Mealhada. Albergue is 4 km beyond town. Different rooms available from shared dormitory to private rooms.

Agueda. Residential Celeste. I doubt if I would have been able to find the albergue today on my own. From where the road comes into town, you have to go up a really long (1-2 km) hill to get there (I think the arrows take the long way around and the albergue is not exactly on the Camino path). But it's very nice and next to a large super market.

Albergaria (convent). There is a convent 4-5 km after Albergaria. An interesting experience. Good beds, good bathrooms. No Kitchen, wi-fi, or common room in Pilgrim area. Nun serves dinner at 7:00. You can walk around the impressive grounds, but boring otherwise. Dinner experience makes it worthwhile. Have someone call ahead.

Sao Joao de Madeira. Stayed at Solar Joao next to obelisk in town center.

Porto. Stayed at Duas Nacoes Guest House because all others were full. Not that nice for a pilgrim bed in shared room, but private rooms available. Difficult to find. Call ahead to reserve in Porto where ever you stay. A good city to stay an extra rest day. Many things to see and do.

Vila do Conde. I strongly recommend walking the coast for this day. Much new boardwalk. Wonderful scenery. Many stay at albergue as you come into town, B=but I recommend calling ahead to reserve Eva Doce two blocks away.

Barcelos. We almost missed a turn in the first town. There is an extremely faint yellow arrow on the curb to turn right. Stayed at "Residence of the Rooster Lord" albergue.

Corgo (not really a town). Casa de Fernanda. This is a must stop. A wonderful experience. Donation (and you will want to leave a big one). I called 2 days ahead. There is limited space and it will fill up.

Ponte de Lima. Municipal albergue is across the bridge. Opens at 4:00. Only time I had to wait.

Rubiaes. Walk 200 meters past the main albergue and stop at O Ninho. Another wonderful experience. Dinner and breakfast.

Tui. On the way there, walk through Valenca which is a huge medieval fortification. Stayed at Albergue el Camino. In the nearby plaza is the only hiking supply store I saw.

Mos. Be alert for false arrows. Correct yellow arrows may be blacked out leading you the old way. The albergue is on the Camino path after turning left off the highway into the town center. Mos is a good stop before a large hill.

Pontevedra. The albergue is a fairly large and new facility. 6 Euros. It was very full. I heard later there is another albergue just a little further into town which should be less busy.

Caldas de Reis. I skipped the municipal albergue and went to a hotel/hostel a few blocks away. Reports were the albergue was very bad. Stayed at Hotel O Cruceiro. You can pay for a shared pilgrim room or a private room.

Padron. I went 2 km North of Pardon and stayed at the Scala Hotel, 36 Euros for a nice private room - the most I ever spent. I would have walked further, but my shin split was hurting. I heard later the albergues in Padron were not good.

Santiago de Compostela. The Last Stamp Hostel. It was good, but difficult to find the first time.

Vaš prijatelj Camino
Steve

Thanks
Mel
Mel my wife and I leave Porto on the 15th April 2016 to head north on an easy pace

Dobar dan Lj,

I was a first time walker and used Bierley's guidebook. Unfortunately, I've lost the guidebook (uuugggg!!!!), so this list might be incomplete. I reviewed my journal for information. The accommodations were satisfactory unless otherwise noted. If no price is mentioned, I couldn't remember. I did not have any bed bugs at any of these locations. South of Porto most are private albergues not public. No need to reserve south of Porto. Arrows are mostly good. Got lost walking out of Tomar. Even Brierly's mentions bad arrows there. Still missed it!

Moscavida Youth hostel. A short first day walk. My plane arrived in the morning and I started walking from downtown. Metro is easy. This shortened the first stage. 15-16 Euros? The Cathedral Se was OUT of Pilgrim Credentials. Buy one via mail before you go.

Alverca. A 1/2 km before the railroad station (you see it straight ahead), take the overpass to the left into town. This takes you off the Camino. There are several pensions there.

Azambuja. The Pilgrim albergue in town was locked! The market that was supposed to keep the key did not have it, did not know where it was, and did not care. Ended up at Flora Hotel. Two of us shared a room for 15 Euros each, or 20 for a single bedroom. Others stayed at Bombeiros Voluntarios.

Muge. This stop made 2 easy stages out of one longer one. Stayed at the Quinta coming into the small town. I was misled by Bierly's map and stayed walking on the highway. Somewhere I missed an arrow which would have taken me right by the Quinta. I don't think it's used much (run down) and the manager is not always there. No wi-fi. No hot water. 15 Euros. But the suite was HUGE and large enough to hold a family of 4. Kitchen, TV, Sofa, etc. A room like this in the U.S. is $150+. Or keep going to Santarem.

Santarem Hostel run by Mario. Nice accommodation. Ask to see his guitar room and the yellow Camino guitar pick I gave him. Mario is active on this forum. That's where I bought a Pilgrim Credential. This is not the same as N1 Hostel.

Golega. Solo Duro albergue. It was OK.

Tomar. Tomar 2300 public hostel. Organized staff. Good location. Newer. A good town to stay an extra day to rest. Templar Castle fortress.

Alvaiazere. A very difficult walking day. Pinoheiros albergue. Toward the back of church on the town square.

Alvorge. Alvorge isn't much of a town. Just a little commerce on the main street. Pick up the key at the café on the town square (then take it back). Very new accommodations. Nice. No wi-fi when I was there, but maybe now. Albergue is hidden. There is a building to the right and rear of the church. The albergue entrance is on the far side, lower level.

Cernache. Rabacal was unimpressive — glad I didn't stop there. Stop and rest at the Roman ruins in Coimbriga. Look for the scallop shell on the building - left side of street. It was locked and no one answered the intercom. I called the number posted and in 10-15 minutes a family showed up and let me in. Kitchen with market across the street. TV. Wi-Fi. 15 Euros(?)

Coimbra. Short walking day to big town. Stayed at the Residencial Moderna. Difficult to find. Not that great. 35 Euros for private room. There was a convent (?) coming into town that others stayed at, but further away from downtown activities. Beware the Student Festival (mid-May).

Mealhada. Albergue is 4 km beyond town. Different rooms available from shared dormitory to private rooms.

Agueda. Residential Celeste. I doubt if I would have been able to find the albergue today on my own. From where the road comes into town, you have to go up a really long (1-2 km) hill to get there (I think the arrows take the long way around and the albergue is not exactly on the Camino path). But it's very nice and next to a large super market.

Albergaria (convent). There is a convent 4-5 km after Albergaria. An interesting experience. Good beds, good bathrooms. No Kitchen, wi-fi, or common room in Pilgrim area. Nun serves dinner at 7:00. You can walk around the impressive grounds, but boring otherwise. Dinner experience makes it worthwhile. Have someone call ahead.

Sao Joao de Madeira. Stayed at Solar Joao next to obelisk in town center.

Porto. Stayed at Duas Nacoes Guest House because all others were full. Not that nice for a pilgrim bed in shared room, but private rooms available. Difficult to find. Call ahead to reserve in Porto where ever you stay. A good city to stay an extra rest day. Many things to see and do.

Vila do Conde. I strongly recommend walking the coast for this day. Much new boardwalk. Wonderful scenery. Many stay at albergue as you come into town, B=but I recommend calling ahead to reserve Eva Doce two blocks away.

Barcelos. We almost missed a turn in the first town. There is an extremely faint yellow arrow on the curb to turn right. Stayed at "Residence of the Rooster Lord" albergue.

Corgo (not really a town). Casa de Fernanda. This is a must stop. A wonderful experience. Donation (and you will want to leave a big one). I called 2 days ahead. There is limited space and it will fill up.

Ponte de Lima. Municipal albergue is across the bridge. Opens at 4:00. Only time I had to wait.

Rubiaes. Walk 200 meters past the main albergue and stop at O Ninho. Another wonderful experience. Dinner and breakfast.

Tui. On the way there, walk through Valenca which is a huge medieval fortification. Stayed at Albergue el Camino. In the nearby plaza is the only hiking supply store I saw.

Mos. Be alert for false arrows. Correct yellow arrows may be blacked out leading you the old way. The albergue is on the Camino path after turning left off the highway into the town center. Mos is a good stop before a large hill.

Pontevedra. The albergue is a fairly large and new facility. 6 Euros. It was very full. I heard later there is another albergue just a little further into town which should be less busy.

Caldas de Reis. I skipped the municipal albergue and went to a hotel/hostel a few blocks away. Reports were the albergue was very bad. Stayed at Hotel O Cruceiro. You can pay for a shared pilgrim room or a private room.

Padron. I went 2 km North of Pardon and stayed at the Scala Hotel, 36 Euros for a nice private room - the most I ever spent. I would have walked further, but my shin split was hurting. I heard later the albergues in Padron were not good.

Santiago de Compostela. The Last Stamp Hostel. It was good, but difficult to find the first time.

Vaš prijatelj Camino
Steve
Thanks for all the info Steve. What time of year did you walk????

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

In addition to Steve's post-his yellow guitarpick is a great one ! I am lucky I have one-a real collector'sitem:)

Don't forget to ask for a very special stamp on your credential at the church of Alvaiazère. It is worthwhile to ask for it.

In Alvorge too. Ask the bartender for his nice stamp in Portuguese called a "carimba"

Steve you missed the cheese plate in Rabaçal.. After entering Rabaçal just after the roundabout at the right side is a kind of restaurant/bar with a great assortment of local cheese. A refreshment ,a salat and this cheese and you have a nice meal.
50 meters away from the restaurant is an albergue I thought it costed 5€ each.
The bar owner or the lady of the shop oposite the albergue can phone somebody who opens the door for you.

In Cernache we stayed at the schoolcampus in a house with bunkbeds.
We were there alone. You can sleep there for free but have to phone on beforehand so the concierge knows you will come. The phonenumber was (is?) in Brierley's guide. The concierge closes the fence at 21h00 and next morning opens it again around 7h00. Only during weekdays. In the weekend nobody will be there but now there is an albergue in Cernache.
Oposite the school is a small restaurant-fastfood-for your lunch,supper and breakfast.
The pupils of the school like to help you with translating from Portugese to English and visa versa as you conversate with the concierge. For the pupils it is a good oportunity and practice to talk with you. They like it :)

Coimbra. If you have time attend the fado reahersal at 17h00 n the centro do dado, oposite the cathedral. It is a nice show and includes a glass of portwine. Very nice. And the highlite is to visit the medieval university and specially the library. Beautifull. World heritage !

Mealhada albergue. Great place. When we were there they served a common dinner. A special plate is called "Leitão" speciality of the area. Try if you can !

Águeda. If you stay at Pensão Celeste ask if they can arrange your diner. Otherwise you have to walk back 2 kms to the center and after dinner walk 2 kms back uphill to Celeste. After a long day walking fom Mealhada pfff.

Albergária -a-Velha. Casa Diosceana as Steve told. You'll find it outside the town on the caminho. At a certain moment there is a huge Maria statue. Climb on a very steep hill and you are there. We paid 3 € each for a bunkbed, a lunch, a supper and a breakfast.
Be punctual at time for the breakfast !!!! The nuns do not wait for you. When we were there together with a German guy , he overslept himself so when he arrived for his breakfast there was nobody and nothing . :D

Casa da Fernanda is in the village of Vitorino de Piães. Look on a map if you will find Vilhadiz or Outeiro and you are at Fernanda's place. Give Fernanda a call on beforehand +351 914 589 521. It can be busy.

Forget the albergue in Redondela and walk on for 3 kms to Cessantes where is the refúxio de la Jérezana. Maria is a lovely hospitaleira. The refúgio is well waymarked as you leave Redondela.

Have a drink or your breakfast at Pepe's bar in Padrón Oposite the albergue at the other side of the bridge. Everybody knows him.

Lep pozdrav.

Last edited:
Ljubo, I did Camino - the French route, last year in July and August (in 29 days). I'm planning to do the Portugese way from Lisbon to Santiago this year (2016) from July to August. Do you still have plans to do it at the same time. If you do, please write me to the e-mail: peregrina_peregrina@yahoo.com. I come from Slovenija and you can reply me in Croatian language.
Hope to hear from you. Mojca

I plan to have a rest day in Coimbra and also Porto -........
Hi StripySocks.

We're currently on the Camino Portuguese, just north of Redondela, having started at Lisbon on 6th April. We walk slow!!!!
No problems with accommodation so far. If it's any help, you can read all about our route and where we stayed at folksfrom62.blogspot.com.

Can't put much more here as I only have a very flaky internet connection.

Tony

Hi StripySocks.

We're currently on the Camino Portuguese, just north of Redondela, having started at Lisbon on 6th April. We walk slow!!!!
No problems with accommodation so far. If it's any help, you can read all about our route and where we stayed at folksfrom62.blogspot.com.

Can't put much more here as I only have a very flaky internet connection.

Tony

Wow, Tony, not sure how I missed your blog till now. Great information here, beautiful pictures! A must read for anyone wanting to start in Lisbon.

BTW, though I haven't gotten all the way through, I am happy to tell you that as of today there is now an albergue 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral. The little town is Alpriate, and the albergue is right on the camino. It is an old house that has been rehabbed with loving care by the Via Lusitana, the Lisbon Caminho Association. I know that Jose Luis is going to post an official announcement soon, and I don't mean to steal his thunder, but for anyone starting in Lisbon now, there is a great Day 1 option. It then gets you into a good place for future stages, and is a very manageable first stage. Can also tell you that there is a cafe bar right near the albergue where the food is good -- basic, home food cooking, and very inexpensive. There is also a restaurant off the camino to the right and up a hill as you come into town, it serves full meals and you will see the sign as you approach town.

So, Lisbon pilgrims -- head for Alpriate!!! (I was there helping out on Saturday and will post some pics as soon as I can get my act together).

I hope you bring a guide book. I had guide books for the last two caminos( cf, Norte ) and did not use it. They were heavy and almost useless. So I tried this time without one, and I got lost several times. Portugal is no Spain: Not many people know what cds is, and well meaning helpful people show you the nearest road heading north when you ask where cds is. There is a town just south of Tomar that has false arrow on the pavement that will lead you to a wrong direction. I was lucky (skeptical initially) that a local woman pointed me to the right direction. Later I met three French pilgrims getting off a taxi because they took the wrong turn, and after wandering for two hours, they called a taxi to bring them back to cds. The guide book will help you getting back on to cds, I think.

The weather in these days of global warming is unpredictable. When I left Lisbon in the middle of April, it rained one week in a row. The next few days we expect rain again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks
Mel

I walked the Camino Portugues (central) last year about the same time than you are planning to walk it.
Made reservations between Lisbon and Santarem and no reservations at all between Santarem and SDC.
Stayed mainly at the municipals.
Bom caminho.

PS. I have walked from Porto twice and walked both ways after Caminha.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back