• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Lisbon, May 2017

Is it possible to do the Portuguese Camino on 20 Euro a day in 2017?

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ayala

Hi, I'm a South African enviro-pilgrim, so I walk everywhere I can. I have done the French Camino nearly 25 and 8 years ago and both times they were completely different experiences. I'm hoping that the Portuguese Camino is like the French Camino was long ago. I'm planning to walk from Lisbon and would like to go via Fatima and Tomar to Santiago, but don't want to be caught up in the Fatima Pilgrimage as I'm sure there will not be affordable accomodation. So, I've still to decide on the date. Possibly from the 17th May. Is anyone thinking of leaving that time? I also am going to try and do it on 20 Euro a day. I'm still researching camping possibilities, but from what I've read, this is not really possible? I'm also considering the Coastal route from Porto. I don't normally like to do more that 25km a day and I seldom take rest days when I walk. I'm a vegetarian, so doubt I will be eating in any restaurants. I believe that staying with the Bomberos is no longer an option? If you wish to share any ideas and inspirations with me, I would be very grateful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many questions !
First and for all. The caminho Português is totally different to the camino Francès.
Lots of road walking Different scenery, less albergues, less walkers.
Due to less albergues I doubt if you could spend 20€ a day.
Because lots of albergues especially between Lisbon and Porto are private onesyou have to pay around 15€ per bed. Some are donativo.
Only at some Bombeiros Volontarios you can stay but only again between Lisbon and Porto.
Walking in May there are going many pilgrims to Fátima so lodging can be a problem.
Alternatively you could walk the traditional waymarked path to Santarèm and take the bus to Fátima as a one day detour and continue from there to Gõlega
There are a few campings between Lisbon and Porto on route. One 10 minutes walking from the waymarked path in Vila Franca de Xira, a municipal next to the swimhall.
In Gõlega the camping is in the center, also municipal. That's all. Wild camping in Portugal is strictly forbidden.Tomar is worth to stay some extra time to visit the world famous Templars convent.
Just outsite Oliveira de AzemeĂ­s you could stay with the nuns, at casa Dioscesana. A bunkbed, a lunch, diner and breakfast for a few euros.
From Porto ,following the coast you'll find some campings in Angeiras and 2 kms south of Vila do Conde. On the Central route (inland route from São Pedro de Rates to Valença do Minho there are lots of albergues.)
In Spain you'll find more municipal albergues.

The Portuguese are very kind and helpfull people and prepare excellent food .But you are vegetarian as you write so that will be a bit different.
Bom caminho

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Many questions !
First and for all. The caminho Português is totally different to the camino Francès.
Lots of road walking Different scenery, less albergues, less walkers.
Due to less albergues I doubt if you could spend 20€ a day.
Because lots of albergues especially between Lisbon and Porto are private onesyou have to pay around 15€ per bed. Some are donativo.
Only at some Bombeiros Volontarios you can stay but only again between Lisbon and Porto.
Walking in May there are going many pilgrims to Fátima so lodging can be a problem.
Alternatively you could walk the traditional waymarked path to Santarèm and take the bus to Fátima as a one day detour and continue from there to Gõlega
There are a few campings between Lisbon and Porto on route. One 10 minutes walking from the waymarked path in Vila Franca de Xira, a municipal next to the swimhall.
In Gõlega the camping is in the center, also municipal. That's all. Wild camping in Portugal is strictly forbidden.Tomar is worth to stay some extra time to visit the world famous Templars convent.
Just outsite Oliveira de AzemeĂ­s you could stay with the nuns, at casa Dioscesana. A bunkbed, a lunch, diner and breakfast for a few euros.
From Porto ,following the coast you'll find some campings in Angeiras and 2 kms south of Vila do Conde. On the Central route (inland route from São Pedro de Rates to Valença do Minho there are lots of albergues.)
In Spain you'll find more municipal albergues.

The Portuguese are very kind and helpfull people and prepare excellent food .But you are vegetarian as you write so that will be a bit different.
Bom caminho
É você português? I just joined and am looking forward to walking the next Camino next year. The Portuguese ARE wonderful and very kind people.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back