• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Lisbon to Porto

Fatma

Time of past OR future Camino
CP
Hi everyone
Does anyone know if the albergues are closed at this time of the year between Lisbon and Porto?
I have walked from Porto to SdC therefore I choose now the sectio from Lisbon to Porto but I have seen many posts where everyone recommended Porto to SdC. Can someone tell me why that is? Is it the road, the landscape?
I‘ll start walking next week.
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone
Does anyone know if the albergues are closed at this time of the year between Lisbon and Porto?
I have walked from Porto to SdC therefore I choose now the sectio from Lisbon to Porto but I have seen many posts where everyone recommended Porto to SdC. Can someone tell me why that is? Is it the road, the landscape?
Thank you
greetings and bom caminho -
i for one really enjoyed the section lisboa - porto. yes, not as many albergue perhaps - but still stayed in a few along the way (wrote about it on this forum ... posted ca july 2014 or thereabouts) and more have opened since i walked the camino. (which are listed somewhere here on the forum. maybe "peregrina2002" can point you to the right link?
and there are now apparently boardwalks (wood) on some sections out of lisboa - making it much more easeful to walk.
can't tell you though why there are less posts on recommending the lisboa-porto route.
yes - less pilgrims perhaps. thus less of a chance to be part of "camino family" . it depends on what you are looking for, what your values are, etc.
i was grateful that i took that route, especially after azambuja, walked through the tejo flat plains, explored santarem (good hostel there), tomar ... coimbra (stayed in monastery there in Santa Isabel (across the river/bridge on the other side of coimbra).... solitary stretches through interesting fields and woodlands with amazing sights.
keep warm layers with you - also protection against rain and the wind.
and try not to compare ... just take it as an experience on its own.
(any comparison places one instantly into the mental frame/perspective ... and thus becomes quite removed from what actually IS at the present moment).
bom caminho -

greetings and bom caminho -
i for one really enjoyed the section lisboa - porto. yes, not as many albergue perhaps - but still stayed in a few along the way (wrote about it on this forum ... posted ca july 2014 or thereabouts) and more have opened since i walked the camino. (which are listed somewhere here on the forum. maybe "peregrina2002" can point you to the right link?
and there are now apparently boardwalks (wood) on some sections out of lisboa - making it much more easeful to walk.
can't tell you though why there are less posts on recommending the lisboa-porto route.
yes - less pilgrims perhaps. thus less of a chance to be part of "camino family" . it depends on what you are looking for, what your values are, etc.
i was grateful that i took that route, especially after azambuja, walked through the tejo flat plains, explored santarem (good hostel there), tomar ... coimbra (stayed in monastery there in Santa Isabel (across the river/bridge on the other side of coimbra).... solitary stretches through interesting fields and woodlands with amazing sights.
keep warm layers with you - also protection against rain and the wind.
and try not to compare ... just take it as an experience on its own.
(any comparison places one instantly into the mental frame/perspective ... and thus becomes quite removed from what actually IS at the present moment).
bom caminho -
This really helps thank you souch

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are currently walking from Lisbon to Santiago. Alpriarte Albergue is closed for the season. Azambuja was closed for cleaning as of October 22, but it may be open again.

Lisboa to Santiago -- I see the Maps from Brierley mentioned. Is anyone using the Wise Pilgrim guide for the Portuguese? Any comments on the two guides? Thanks for reading, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from Porto to Santiago 5th to 17th October and it was very quiet. I walked the whole of the Frances route last year. It depends what you are after. The Portuguese was beautiful but there was no Camino Community, horses for courses as they say. As an embarrassing only English speaker I would have been lonely without a walking companion. This is just my experience.

Hi everyone
Thank you
Having walked from Lisbon to SdC I can tell you that several people, ourselves included found it boring until about Tomar. You could start there.

I walked from Santarem Starting September 13 2015. I loved it all, granted there were few pilgrims. I saw a few every day. Allbergues at that time were open in Santarem, Golega, Tomar, Alvaziere, Coimbra, Mealhada, Albergaria, and Grijo at least. I did need to walk some 20 mile days, but I enjoyed both Lisbon to Porto and Porto to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back