• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Logroño to Bilbao (GR38)?

wjowc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances-Salvador-Primitivo (2018)
I'm in the early stages of planning my second Camino. By planning I mean that it might start in April, it might start next year, who knows.

I'm thinking of starting somewhere in Catalonia, most likely around Barcelona), taking the Ebro valley up to Logroño and possibly connecting to the Camino Del Norte somehow. Probably 50ish days to complete the whole deal. Has anyone walked from Logroño to Bilbao? I know that there is technically a GR trail that crosses that stretch, but I have no idea what to expect from those trails. Will there be some lodging? I'm not expecting albergue prices, but anything?

Are there any other routes that connect the Frances to the Del Norte? My first Camino included the Salvador between Leon and Oviedo, so I know there is that one, but is there anything else that doesn't skew too far toward the east?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could reverse the Camino Vasco, or Tunnel route, to Irun if you were that way inclined but you would be walking north-east, there are accommodations on that route. There are probably bridge routes up to the Olvidado which would take you to the Salvador up to Oviedo but you'd have to improvise.

Happy planning

You could reverse the Camino Vasco, or Tunnel route, to Irun if you were that way inclined but you would be walking north-east, there are accommodations on that route. There are probably bridge routes up to the Olvidado which would take you to the Salvador up to Oviedo but you'd have to improvise.

Happy planning

Thanks!

Just curious, what's the popularity of, and infrastructure on the Olvidado? Now that I look on a map, doing that and finishing on the Invierno looks interesting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Look into the Camino Ignacio - it stretches from Manresa (near Barcelona) to Loyola (Loiola) just off the Norte. From there it’s a few days walk to Bilbao. It’s not well-marked or heavily traveled, but he is incredibly important in the Catholic Church and they are working to publicize the route more in anticipation of a major anniversary soon

Thanks!

Just curious, what's the popularity of, and infrastructure on the Olvidado? Now that I look on a map, doing that and finishing on the Invierno looks interesting.
There is a LOT of information here on the Olvidado/Invierno combination. IMO, it doesn’t get more perfect than that. In fact, the topic just came up a day or so ago, so look at what has been posted here.

There are two good forum resources, guides in English for each camino to get you started. Bjuen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Ignacio - it stretches from Manresa (near Barcelona) to Loyola (Loiola) just off the Norte.

You got me looking and now I kind of want to do Irun -> Loiola -> Logrono -> Zaragoza -> Monserrat -> Sant Pere De Rodes

Do NOT miss Montserrat - spectacular! And their pilgrim accommodation is just a year old

You got me looking and now I kind of want to do Irun -> Loiola -> Logrono -> Zaragoza -> Monserrat -> Sant Pere De Rodes

Montserrat to Sant Pere de Rodes (well, actually, you will probably end further on, down the hill, to end in either Llançà or Port de la Selva) is a beautiful walk, mostly off-road, no pilgrim albergues, but decent and reasonably priced accommodation. I walked it in 2015 and posted on my stages. I believe @lindam has also walked this route and a couple of forum members whose names now escape me.

The route has been marked by the Generalitat, the Catalán regional government, and as a result it picks and chooses the path to make sure peregrinos walk both through Girona and Vic. The Girona association has long disapproved of this, because it does blend pieces of two different historically recognized caminos from France, but for me it was a wonderful opportunity to enjoy several really nice cities, visit a TON of beautiful Romanesque architecture, and enjoy a lot of very pleasant (not mountainous, some hills) terrain.

Walking it backwards may be a challenge, but there are good GPS tracks on wikiloc and I would highly recommend them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back