A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Walking from Lourdes and looking for suggestions

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2), Chemin du Puy, Portuguese, Via de la Plata
Hi: I am planning my Camino starting this July and am looking to start in Lourdes and walk to Oloron and then down to Somport and Aragones to Puente Le Reina. Can anyone offer suggestions on why that is a good route or not. Also recommendations on Albergues or anything else of interest. Thanks A Million.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
The route through the Aragon Calkey is spectacularly beautiful and fairly pilgrim-free. July, though, may be uncomfortably hot. The support system is nowhere near as frequent as on the CF, so plan accordingly with the amount of water you carry. As for albuergues, definitely make the stops in Arres and Ruesta.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Relais du Bastet in Oloron is lovely and run by friendly and helpful Hospitaleros. All the communal albergues are good in Spain especially the one in Jaca. I enjoyed staying in Albergue Aysa at Somport. It was lovely to sit out on the terrace enjoying a wine looking down the valley and at the Pyrenees. The Presbytere in Sarrance was good.
Enjoy.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
My first reaction is UP to Somport from Oleron.
Went that way some years ago, and of the albergues on the way down from Somport, I remember Ruesta as a good one. Had been walking for a long day with a few km left when a van stopped by my side and offered me to take my backpack to the albergue. Usually I would not have accepted that, but tired as I was, I left all my belongings to a totally stranger on the road and nearly felt like a runner the few km up to the albergue. When I arrived the backpack was by my bed , and the driver turned up to be the keeper of the albergue. Had a really nice stay in this left town, one of my highlights on that camino.

mark connolly

Camino(s) past & future
sept 2016 CF
sept 2017 Lourdes to SJPDP via Piemonte
SJPDP to SDC via CF
2019 CF (God willing)
Walked from Lourdes to SJPDP in 2017 on the Via Piedmonte. Don't know much about the Camino Aragones. Couple of things: a recommendation for an albergue in Lourdes which is donotivo . And also there is a camino office in Lourdes as well. Info via attached photos
Bon Chemin.

Buen Camino.

Mark

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC 77; Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones18; Logrono-Leon 19.
Did your proposed route just last May, with a group of friends....

Very glad I did it. Wonderful experience! But I'm probably too old/broken down to repeat it. ... Much more demanding than the CF. Would strongly advise against doing it solo!

Lourdes is a very strange and special place -- certainly worth a day's sightseeing even if you're not religiously motivated.... Read and prep for it. ... You'll either love it or hate it.... Lourdes to Oloron is gorgeous green country, and not difficult. Genuinely "Shire"-like! Lots of cows! And the locals were more hospitable than I expected. ... Oloron to Jaca, over the Somport pass, is breathtakingly beautiful, very different and much more daunting than the SJdePP-Roncesvalles mountain crossing experience. ...

Jaca is as charming as any small city on the Frances -- and the Cathedral museum of medieval art there will knock your socks off (if you're into medieval art like me!) It's world class! ... Why it isn't better known, I just don't know! ... After Jaca -- the dry and desolate Aragon country -- find a way to visit San Juan de la Pena, and Leyre, and the Xavier Castle. They absolutely made the walk, for me. ... And give the cathedral in Sanguesa a good long look....

Truth be told, I found that my interest waned after Sanguesa.... If I were ever to re-do the CA, I think that I'd just quit there and bus on over to Pamplona -- my favorite place on earth.

I question the wisdom of doing the CA in July. Too hot/tough for me, I suspect! ... And if you enjoy lots of peregrino company, the CA will disappoint. Like walking alone?

Finally: Stayed in cheap hotels. Am not an albergue person. Glad to offer hotel recommendations based on my experience, if asked.

Vaya con Dios.

queenmaeve

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances x 2, Camino del Norte, segments in the Netherlands and Portugal
Hi: I am planning my Camino starting this July and am looking to start in Lourdes and walk to Oloron and then down to Somport and Aragones to Puente Le Reina. Can anyone offer suggestions on why that is a good route or not. Also recommendations on Albergues or anything else of interest. Thanks A Million.
I'm taking this same route, leaving this week Thursday. Just found out my guide book will not arrive in time, so happy to see your post and read the responses!

queenmaeve

Camino(s) past & future
The route through the Aragon Calkey is spectacularly beautiful and fairly pilgrim-free. July, though, may be uncomfortably hot. The support system is nowhere near as frequent as on the CF, so plan accordingly with the amount of water you carry. As for albuergues, definitely make the stops in Arres and Ruesta.
Do you have specific recommendations for albergues in Arres and Ruesta?

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
There is only one albergue in both places. The Arres hamlet is delightful, and there is a bar & hostal in addition to a gem of an albergue.

Ruesta is a ghost town now, the only place still functioning is the albergue, where you can also just stop for a lunch or drink if you aren't ready to halt for the day.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Both Ruesta and Arres are worth a stay! BTW, Gronze has great info on the Aragon route as does the Buen Camino iPhone app!

Please post your observations once you walk as I am reverse-walking the route from Sanguesa to Lourdes in April/May!

queenmaeve

Camino(s) past & future
Did your proposed route just last May, with a group of friends....

Very glad I did it. Wonderful experience! But I'm probably too old/broken down to repeat it. ... Much more demanding than the CF. Would strongly advise against doing it solo!

Lourdes is a very strange and special place -- certainly worth a day's sightseeing even if you're not religiously motivated.... Read and prep for it. ... You'll either love it or hate it.... Lourdes to Oloron is gorgeous green country, and not difficult. Genuinely "Shire"-like! Lots of cows! And the locals were more hospitable than I expected. ... Oloron to Jaca, over the Somport pass, is breathtakingly beautiful, very different and much more daunting than the SJdePP-Roncesvalles mountain crossing experience. ...

Jaca is as charming as any small city on the Frances -- and the Cathedral museum of medieval art there will knock your socks off (if you're into medieval art like me!) It's world class! ... Why it isn't better known, I just don't know! ... After Jaca -- the dry and desolate Aragon country -- find a way to visit San Juan de la Pena, and Leyre, and the Xavier Castle. They absolutely made the walk, for me. ... And give the cathedral in Sanguesa a good long look....

Truth be told, I found that my interest waned after Sanguesa.... If I were ever to re-do the CA, I think that I'd just quit there and bus on over to Pamplona -- my favorite place on earth.

I question the wisdom of doing the CA in July. Too hot/tough for me, I suspect! ... And if you enjoy lots of peregrino company, the CA will disappoint. Like walking alone?

Finally: Stayed in cheap hotels. Am not an albergue person. Glad to offer hotel recommendations based on my experience, if asked.

Vaya con Dios.
Thank you for your long note! Can you tell me what guide book/s you used? And why do you recommend against walking this route solo?
Best,
Maeve

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
There is a thread somewhere with a long discussion about walking it alone. It's a personal decision each must make based on their comfort level.

I am female and walked it alone and was never concerned about my safety. I was a week behind another woman who also walked alone. It's less walked, there were never more than about 8 of us in the albergues at night when I walked it in Oct a few years ago. So I suppose if you fall down and break something, it might be awhile before someone finds you. A phone might help with that.

I had no guidebook but I used gronze.com and took screenshots of the maps and lists of albergues.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 237 24.9%