• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Lourdes

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
There is a good overview of the route here:

http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp_cartes.php

The Lourdes to SJPdP segments are toward the bottom, but the entire route from the coast is covered by the site.

The Lourdes to Oloron segment proposed there is unnecessarily harsh -- in fact the whole route seems to have been devised by mountain-hiking enthusiasts rather than pilgrims.

The more northerly passage via Coarraze and Nay, then on the tiny roads to Arudy is more sensible.

It's not wise, on that particular Camino route, to follow the time-wasting and overly difficult trail that has been laid down by non-pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is there signage showing Coarraze and Nay being on either the GR or camino with the arrows Jappa
It has been mentioned that there are 2 ways with the red/white or arrows .
Just wondering as the valley floors are to our liking 80% of the time.
David

just after sainte colome there is the split. right goes directly to buzy, left goes to arudy. arudy is a lovely town with lots of bakeries and a very nice gite paroissal with white doves.
I haven't seen any info on coarraze-nay alternative.

from lourdes to estelle-betharam there are two waymarkings, red-white for GR and yellow-blue arrows and shells for vyppr. vyppr is a bit shorter and bypasses st-pe-de-bigorre.

the tougest section, in my opinion, is from bagneres-de-bigorre (or gerde now that the accommodation in bagneres has closed to pilgrims) to lourdes. GR goes really high up the mountains and is very long (30-37km according to different sources) and must be beautiful. some enthusiasts from bagneres have waymakred a shorter route more to the north that mosty follows minor roads and is about 20km long. handy in bad weather or if you want enough time for lourdes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did this route in 2011 I believe and saw no one for three days but always a place to stay at ..has anyone a guide that can be followed? also am curious of the gentleman who left Lourdes but never arrived in SJPDP any news on him?

I did this route in 2011 I believe and saw no one for three days but always a place to stay at ..has anyone a guide that can be followed? also am curious of the gentleman who left Lourdes but never arrived in SJPDP any news on him?
I'm set to depart from Lourdes mid-April. I have a guidebook in French, by Olivier Guix, which I quickly have to translate into English or else...I might end up adrift maybe like the missing gent you mentioned. More news on him gratefully received.

Hi,
If you intend to start from Lourdes on or about the first week in May, along with the many beautiful sights and sounds with be the annual Order of St. John of Jerusalem (possibly better known as the Order of Malta) pilgrimage to Lourdes. During the pilgrimage, knights and dames of the Order from around the world gather to provide charity service to the poor and the sick. It's a very beautiful and moving endeavor.
Arn

I'm set to depart from Lourdes mid-April. I have a guidebook in French, by Olivier Guix, which I quickly have to translate into English or else...I might end up adrift maybe like the missing gent you mentioned. More news on him gratefully received.
this route is one of solitary and extremely tranquil for someone who wants a few days of peaceful country hiking. Yet there is very little on it I can remember the towns I stayed at but nevertheless a route with gites and distances would be great. as yet found none.

HI Annie,,, I'd love to read your blog on this section as I'm planning on walking it next spring or fall. I tried clicking on your link but couldn't get on. Is there another way to see your blog? Thanks.
Hi there. This isn’t an answer to your question but it might be helpful. I am currently walking from Lourdes to SJPDP and have a blog with photos. Today I am staying at a gîte just past Bruges. Tomorrow I will be in Arudy at the Maison Paroissiale. There have been some challenges especially as I do not walk fast. 12-15 km a day would be ideal for me due to the hills and heat but sometimes there is no place to stay without walking much farther. Bank machines are few and far between and yet cash is expected in paying for accommodation. So far things have worked out. My blog and photos are a little behind but I will add when I have WiFi. To view blog go to dncamino . wordpress . com (Leave out the spaces!). Scenery along paths are wonderful. Be ready for lots of hilly terrain. People are friendly and food is fabulous. Not a lot of other pilgrims but maybe because it is October! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Donna for your reply. I will check out your blog right away. Are you planning on walking the whole of the Frances? Good to know about the lack of ATM's. Again thanks and going now to check out your blog. Buen Camino!

I walked from Lourdes to SJPP (and then the Frances) in late September.
Loved it. Hilly terrain, but the real challenge are the distances needed in the usual stages -I was walking 8-10 hours daily. On the other side, I am slow...
Some days with a light drizzle, but paths were passable.
Signage is sometimes confusing, because there are many options. There is not a "canonical" Camino, as in the Frances.
Quite lonely, too. I met other pilgrims (just a fist, apart from Oloron) only in albergues.
The only really tough stage was between Mauleon and Saint Juste Ybarre -there is a "col", the mountain pass of Napale.
It is not a mountain, remote route, actually. The path goes from village to village, and in the forest sections (many!) you can usually always see a farm or two, in the distance. Lots of sheeps...
Local people are friendly and helpful. They start to become used to pilgrims.
Great if you are looking for a quiet walk, with beautiful landscapes. Some walking experience recommended, but not essential.

Last edited:
Thanks Donna for your reply. I will check out your blog right away. Are you planning on walking the whole of the Frances? Good to know about the lack of ATM's. Again thanks and going now to check out your blog. Buen Camino!
For now, the goal is SJPDP. Once there, I’ll decide if I’m going further. Time is a consideration. Might do the last 100 km from somewhere or might save completion for another trip. I read the post that followed mine and agree completely with the comments.

For now, the goal is SJPDP. Once there, I’ll decide if I’m going further. Time is a consideration. Might do the last 100 km from somewhere or might save completion for another trip. I read the post that followed mine and agree completely with the comments.
I enjoyed the photos in your blog. Good memories...
Wating for the updates!

Hi there. This isn’t an answer to your question but it might be helpful. I am currently walking from Lourdes to SJPDP and have a blog with photos. Today I am staying at a gîte just past Bruges. Tomorrow I will be in Arudy at the Maison Paroissiale. There have been some challenges especially as I do not walk fast. 12-15 km a day would be ideal for me due to the hills and heat but sometimes there is no place to stay without walking much farther. Bank machines are few and far between and yet cash is expected in paying for accommodation. So far things have worked out. My blog and photos are a little behind but I will add when I have WiFi. To view blog go to dncamino . wordpress . com (Leave out the spaces!). Scenery along paths are wonderful. Be ready for lots of hilly terrain. People are friendly and food is fabulous. Not a lot of other pilgrims but maybe because it is October! Buen Camino!

Hi Donna,
I have just read your post and tried to find your blog but came up with a blank. I am in the midst of planning to walk from Lourdes next August - from about the 23rd. I was wondering what the weather was like when you recently walked. I want to eliminate as much as possible. My next stage is to get to Leon and walk to Oviedo and then the Primitivo (hopefully) How many days did it take you from Lourdes to SJPDP?
Thanks in anticipation of your reply post.
Susan

Hi Donna,
I have just read your post and tried to find your blog but came up with a blank. I am in the midst of planning to walk from Lourdes next August - from about the 23rd. I was wondering what the weather was like when you recently walked. I want to eliminate as much as possible. My next stage is to get to Leon and walk to Oviedo and then the Primitivo (hopefully) How many days did it take you from Lourdes to SJPDP?
Thanks in anticipation of your reply post.
Susan
My blog is here and includes brief descriptions of the Lourdes to SJDPP walk, time it took, where I stayed and I believe there are references to the weather : (leave out the spaces when typing the URL) dncamino . wordpress . com I haven’t posted photos in the Lourdes to SJDPP posts but still planning to eventually. Hopefully this will answer your questions. If not, you can message with any questions. Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back