• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Malaga in late April

Caminata

Time of past OR future Camino
11 Camino's since 2012. Various ones repeated. Fra
Looking at extending my VDLPlata walk and starting perhaps in Malaga in late April.
Anyone else considering this camino at that time?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked this route back in 2015. Until I reached Mérida it was a very lonely route. I was very glad that I had made contact with a pilgrim via this forum and we walked together, setting off from Málaga on 8 April. You can read my daily posts to my blog which might be useful for planning purposes. Overall walking this route, VdlP from Mérida, Sanabres and on to Fisterra was my favourite camino. And walking from sea to sea felt like a particular achievement.

I walked a portion of the Malaga route in April 2016.
I got bored with the olive trees and weary of the rain after a while and hopped over to the Camino Madrid - maybe I'll go do it again someday.
It rained.
A lot.
And be prepared (if it's raining) for the section between Almogia and Villanueva de Concepcion. I jumped up on the road and did fine. Those who didn't ended up with that heavy sticky mud that sticks to your shoes and makes each step weigh 1000 pounds. The section to Antequera was incredibly beautiful. The dolmens were worth seeing. If you want to see a few photo heavy blog posts, you can start here and just click on newer post, newer post, etc at the bottoms of each post:
Malaga

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looking at extending my VDLPlata walk and starting perhaps in Malaga in late April.
Oh lucky you. That was my chosen route at beginning of Covid so had to cancel. Great lady on this site called Magwood(I think) who gave me great tips and she has a blog somewhere about whole route. I was introduced to her journeys by a fellow pilgrim on Del Norte. Very interesting and informative. If you can't find her Google Trepidatious Traveller Magwood.me

I walked this route back in 2015. Until I reached Mérida it was a very lonely route. I was very glad that I had made contact with a pilgrim via this forum and we walked together, setting off from Málaga on 8 April. You can read my daily posts to my blog which might be useful for planning purposes. Overall walking this route, VdlP from Mérida, Sanabres and on to Fisterra was my favourite camino. And walking from sea to sea felt like a particular achievement.
Hi Magwood. I just wanted to thank you for all the info and support you sent my way when I booked to go via Malaga in 2020. Unfortunately Covid had other plans so I had to cancel. Fortunately I'm off on 3rd of May from Porto so back on track for more Camino experience. Its funny but I had just messaged the author of this thread recommending you when I spotted your reply. We are very fortunate to have this site to share advice and experience with great members like yourself. The Camino experience has such wonderful spin offs and in a few days I will be welcoming two pilgrims, who I met on Del Norte, to my home and giving them the grand tour of the West of Ireland. We are so blessed. Daniel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Magwood. I just wanted to thank you for all the info and support you sent my way when I booked to go via Malaga in 2020. Unfortunately Covid had other plans so I had to cancel. Fortunately I'm off on 3rd of May from Porto so back on track for more Camino experience. Its funny but I had just messaged the author of this thread recommending you when I spotted your reply. We are very fortunate to have this site to share advice and experience with great members like yourself. The Camino experience has such wonderful spin offs and in a few days I will be welcoming two pilgrims, who I met on Del Norte, to my home and giving them the grand tour of the West of Ireland. We are so blessed. Daniel
Thanks for your kind words Daniel. The forum is indeed a mine of information with helpful pilgrims who are delighted to share their knowledge. I have recently been gathering some really useful info on the alternative routes on the Norte which I will be walking again this year. I start walking the same day as you!
Enjoy the company of your pilgrim visitors and buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your kind words Daniel. The forum is indeed a mine of information with helpful pilgrims who are delighted to share their knowledge. I have recently been gathering some really useful info on the alternative routes on the Norte which I will be walking again this year. I start walking the same day as you!
Enjoy the company of your pilgrim visitors and buen camino!
Ah yes. Thats great to hear. Three of us met on the Historic route through Vegadao and now they are visiting Ireland. We have remained in touch since obviously and it was a wonderful experience of bonding. I will look forward to any other alternatives you find along the way. Enjoy every step. Daniel

Starting from a few stages up in antiquera on 24th April. It's a good camino so far

It’s a small world on the forum! Just been communicating with you about sleeping bags on the Portuguese etc! I also did the Mozarabe from Malaga to Merida in 2015 in March and found it a lovely peaceful route. I went on to do the Way from Almeria to Granada to Baena last year and this year and have to say that the Association in Almeria could not have been more helpful. Nely was a true Camino angel. And on another note- I also live in the West of Ireland! Pity I’ll be a few days ahead of you on the Coastal but you never know. And my hiking and pilgrimage adventures are also photo heavy blogs at stevebarhamramblingman.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It’s a small world on the forum! Just been communicating with you about sleeping bags on the Portuguese etc! I also did the Mozarabe from Malaga to Merida in 2015 in March and found it a lovely peaceful route. I went on to do the Way from Almeria to Granada to Baena last year and this year and have to say that the Association in Almeria could not have been more helpful. Nely was a true Camino angel. And on another note- I also live in the West of Ireland! Pity I’ll be a few days ahead of you on the Coastal but you never know. And my hiking and pilgrimage adventures are also photo heavy blogs at stevebarhamramblingman.com
Sound! Will check it out Steve. Will be in Beara, Ventry etc next week showing my fellow Pilgrims the beauty of the Wild Atlantic way.

Starting from a few stages up in antiquera on 24th April. It's a good camino so far
Hi Louise,
You mentioned you start on 24 April but it's a good Camino so far? Have you done a bit of it previously?

Thanks.... that will be good to read your blog. I've walked 12 Camino's, so won't mind a bit of solitude, knowing I will be joining the VDLP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes I plan to start from Malaga on the 21st April.
Hi Dennis,
nice to know someone else will be walking. I arrive to Malaga (all going well) on 21 April.
Will probably head off 23rd. I'm used to long days so may catch up with you.
Thanks for letting me know.
Enjoy your walk.

My current plan is Junta de Los Caminos. on the 21st.
Almogia on the 22nd.
Vva Conception on the 23rd.
Antequera on the 24th.
None of these have been booked.
Enjoy your time in Malaga its a nice city.
Bon Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My current plan is Junta de Los Caminos. on the 21st.
Almogia on the 22nd.
Vva Conception on the 23rd.
Antequera on the 24th.
None of these have been booked.
Enjoy your time in Malaga its a nice city.
Bon Camino
Hi,,, I hope to be walking along from Malaga a few days after,, short days I think!
It would be great to get some updates from you,, and lordhowe!!

No problems with accommodation at present. Currently at the alberge in almogia, 4pilgrims tonight.

I plan to walk in late June from Málaga! I would like to know how hilly the first stages are. There are some short stages at the start and I think that is because the terrain is strenuous? Or would it be possible to walk Almogía to Antequera in one go (35 kms)? Is it too hard?

Hi,,, I hope to be walking along from Malaga a few days after,, short days I think!
It would be great to get some updates from you,, and lordhowe!!
Hi Marty,
I am arriving in Malaga 24 April and will have a few days there before I start walking. Happy to catch up and say hi if you arrive during that time?
Cheers
Gary
Brisbane

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Marty,
I am arriving in Malaga 24 April and will have a few days there before I start walking. Happy to catch up and say hi if you arrive during that time?
Cheers
Gary
Brisbane
Was talking to the hostaliero in almogia he recomended the road walk as the camino was muddy in in places dangerous with the rain. So today I took his advice and walked mostly by road. The ma242 and a7075 all OK about 5 to 7 vehicles per hour until it joins the ma3404 and the traffic increases greatly. After about 2kms the camino cross-stitch road so it urged right and joined the camino. No problems with this part. The alberge in vilanueva de la conception is closed for repairs but beds are available in the municipal swimming pool complex. 6 are available. Key is obtained from the ayantuimento. Ring +34699694608.
I am the only one here at present waiting for the rush of pilgrims!!!

I plan to walk in late June from Málaga! I would like to know how hilly the first stages are. There are some short stages at the start and I think that is because the terrain is strenuous? Or would it be possible to walk Almogía to Antequera in one go (35 kms)? Is it too hard?
Hi @Bad Pilgrim. When I walked these stages it had been raining and the going was very tough -steep hills on slippery clay mud. There is a lot of accumulated elevation. I attach Wikiloc excerpts from Almogia to Villanueva and Villanueva to Antequera.
0587125D-8731-45D0-94B4-FB63D182F6FB.jpegEE6207FB-B3F3-4769-B6BC-587CC6C73A8F.jpeg

Hi Dennis,
nice to know someone else will be walking. I arrive to Malaga (all going well) on 21 April.
Will probably head off 23rd. I'm used to long days so may catch up with you.
Thanks for letting me know.
Enjoy your walk.

Worth watching

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Was talking to the hostaliero in almogia he recomended the road walk as the camino was muddy in in places dangerous with the rain. So today I took his advice and walked mostly by road. The ma242 and a7075 all OK about 5 to 7 vehicles per hour until it joins the ma3404 and the traffic increases greatly. After about 2kms the camino cross-stitch road so it urged right and joined the camino. No problems with this part. The alberge in vilanueva de la conception is closed for repairs but beds are available in the municipal swimming pool complex. 6 are available. Key is obtained from the ayantuimento. Ring +34699694608.
Thanks for your update!!

hi dennis, I was thinking about walking the camino mozarabe from Malaga in May, do you know if starting from Malaga also has the social media updates like starting in Almeria? (I don't like that if I start from Almeria, my name, photos and my progress is posted to a public facebook group.)

www.facebook.com/CaminoMozarabeDesantiagodealmeriagranada/

Also is there a list of albergues for starting from Malaga? I've checked gronze but this route doesn't have much information

thank you
Sanne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hi dennis, I was thinking about walking the camino mozarabe from Malaga in May, do you know if starting from Malaga also has the social media updates like starting in Almeria? (I don't like that if I start from Almeria, my name, photos and my progress is posted to a public facebook group.)

Also is there a list of albergues for starting from Malaga? I've checked gronze but this route doesn't have much information

thank you
Sanne
Of course if you do not want your photos and details posted,,, you only have to tell them!!
And IMHO the organisation of the Almeria to Granada portion of the Camino Mozarabe is the best of all!!

thank you
Sanne
Hi sanne
You can download a digital guide from
caminomozarabedesantiago.es/guia they have a version in English.
I am not on Facebook, newer have been, never will.
On the same website is a list of all alberges from Malaga to Santiago split into 50 stages with distances and phone numbers for contact. It's in Spanish but Google translate is your friend in this. Search for the Asociation jacobea de malaga they meet on a tuesday evening and you can purchase a guide and passport from them.

Hi @Bad Pilgrim. When I walked these stages it had been raining and the going was very tough -steep hills on slippery clay mud. There is a lot of accumulated elevation. I attach Wikiloc excerpts from Almogia to Villanueva and Villanueva to Antequera.
View attachment 123443View attachment 123444
Hi just arrived in Antequera today.
You should have enough daylight to do this, sunrise 07:30 to sunset 20:30 . The pilgrim I met in Almogia signed in here Antequera yesterday evening so he only took one day!
My GPS reading for the 2 days are 24.5k and 19.5k but I did the road walk from Almogia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi just arrived in Antequera today.
You should have enough daylight to do this, sunrise 07:30 to sunset 20:30 . The pilgrim I met in Almogia signed in here Antequera yesterday evening so he only took one day!
My GPS reading for the 2 days are 24.5k and 19.5k but I did the road walk from Almogia.
The alberge here is next to the church of Santiago in Plaza de Santiago.
Ring 636283998 or 952841782 and someone will come with the key. It has 10 beds but I am the only one here. There is plenty of other accommodation here

The alberge here is next to the church of Santiago in Plaza de Santiago.
Ring 636283998 or 952841782 and someone will come with the key. It has 10 beds but I am the only one here. There is plenty of other accommodation here
That’s an improvement. When I walked there was just a tiny room with one bunk bed. Fabulous shower though!

Hi Louise,
You mentioned you start on 24 April but it's a good Camino so far? Have you done a bit of it previously?
Hi,
Yes just had a week or so and got slightly further than antiquera 4 ya
Currently in lucena for a rest day
Are you doing this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course if you do not want your photos and details posted,,, you only have to tell them!!
And IMHO the organisation of the Almeria to Granada portion of the Camino Mozarabe is the best of all!!
I understand, theres a personal reason I don't like photos but this reason would be on my mind everyday if I have to keep saying I dont want to be in photos. The other Camino routes seem easier as I never had to think about this issue. I've decided to start from Malaga this time, maybe from Almeria another time

Last edited:
Hi sanne
You can download a digital guide from
caminomozarabedesantiago.es/guia they have a version in English.
I am not on Facebook, newer have been, never will.
On the same website is a list of all alberges from Malaga to Santiago split into 50 stages with distances and phone numbers for contact. It's in Spanish but Google translate is your friend in this. Search for the Asociation jacobea de malaga they meet on a tuesday evening and you can purchase a guide and passport from them.

thank you, that is very useful to me. my flight is on 2 May, so I expect to start a few days after this. your update posts about daily accommodation are also helpful!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

thank you
Sanne

My map shows the path goes near the river but then turns and goes along the river, crosses over and goes back up the other side. Bit like a horse shoe.

Thanks, trying to find the albergue now in Antequera
Also FYI, currently in dona mencia where the albergue, although still seems actually physical there, we passed it, nobody has keys or info on how to access it since covid. In a very basic pension for night

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Staying in Hostal El Poligono just outside Lucena 23 euro + 8 euro for taxi. The green way "via verde" passes at the back of the hostal so will take that tomorrow to the old train station in Lucena.

My information for dona mercia says the keys are with the police municipal 619903748 or the ayuntamiento 957676020.

My information for dona mercia says the keys are with the police municipal 619903748 or the ayuntamiento 957676020.
Louise try the link caminomozarabedemalaga.com/destino/de-malaga-a-santiago . It has the stages distances and alberge details from malaga to santiago.
Regards Dennis

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back