• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from mid-Janurary 2018 to whenever I get there

Castro

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino mid January.
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so if I don't know the right terminology forgive me. I'm planning a much needed Camino starting from Barcelona on a Saturday and trying to get to SJPP. I'm wondering what's the most inexpensive route to pre-order, flight or train and bus? Also, can anyone give me advice about the number of alburges that might be open at the time? All and any help is greatly appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the OP said mid-January.... There is a thread on albergues opened in Winter but I can't remember which one it is :confused:

Anyway, @Castro, hello and welcome!
You may find those links useful:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

I think those sites can be translated into English if you need to but...I'll have to rely on someone else to explain how :confused:

As for the transport from Barcelona, this may help: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Barcelona/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Ask away if you need more answers :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd normally recommend a train to Pamplona then bus to SJPP, but unfortunately the bus doesn't run over the winter. If it were me, I'd catch a flight BCN-Bordeaux with Easyjet (just checked and they have one for £27 on 14 Jan), and then train it to Bayonne--> SJPP the next day.

Just to clarify... you want to know how to get from Barcelona to SJPP so you can start walking the Camino Frances from SJPP? What month do you plan to go?
I arrive in Barcelona on January 11 and plan to take transportation to SJPP on the morning of Saturday 13. I just trying to pay for as much as I can ahead of time to avoid increased costs.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'd normally recommend a train to Pamplona then bus to SJPP, but unfortunately, the bus doesn't run over the winter. If it were me, I'd catch a flight BCN-Bordeaux with Easyjet (just checked and they have one for £27 on 14 Jan), and then train it to Bayonne--> SJPP the next day.
Ok, thank you for that, because I saw a flight for around the same price but I wasn't sure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the OP said mid-January.... There is a thread on albergues opened in Winter but I can't remember which one it is :confused:

I think those sites can be translated into English if you need to but...I'll have to rely on someone else to explain how :confused:

As for the transport from Barcelona, this may help: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Barcelona/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Thank you and I appreciate all the help I can get. I know, or at least I'm hoping there might not be such a huge crowd of pilgrims around that time so I can a certain amount of solitude to reflect.

Thank you and I appreciate all the help I can get. I know, or at least I'm hoping there might not be such a huge crowd of pilgrims around that time so I can a certain amount of solitude to reflect.

It's bound to be very quiet. Throughout the month of February this year a total of 233 pilgrims who started in SJPP got their Compostelas, so if you calculate that backwards, it's not too many starting each day. Your biggest challenge will be the weather (you'll be crossing the Pyrenees in mid-winter; the Napoleon route is closed as it's too dangerous) and there's a good chance you'll encounter storms and snow throughout your time on the camino, so make sure you have the right gear and heed the advice of locals!

The other challenge will be the accommodation, as lots of albergues are open seasonally. Here's a list to give you an idea: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

There are a number of threads on this forum on doing a "winter camino", so you'll find lots of information if you type that into the search box. The main advice is about having the right clothes (in a nutshell, you'll be dealing with a lot of wind, rain and mud, but it can also get warm so wear layers), and about albergues in winter - most albergues have very basic facilities, are poorly insulated and have no heating, so make sure you wrap up tight and don't expect to be able to dry your clothes (for me this was the biggest inconvenience of a winter camino - unless you've used waterproof gear everything stays wet!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you so much for all your advice and I really appreciate any help for my walk!!

I expect to start in Toulouse at about that time, and do not expect to meet anyone until Puente La Reina. I would not recommend that you make any extraordinary effort to get to SJPdP. Just start in Pamplona. Many places will be closed on January, so there will be plenty of challenge without adding inconvenience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wishing you a buen camino. Once you are on the way, even if an albergue is closed, depending on the location it could be possible to knock loudly enough on the door ( figuratively speaking) and you will be taken in.

It's bound to be very quiet. Throughout the month of February this year a total of 233 pilgrims who started in SJPP got their Compostelas, so if you calculate that backwards, it's not too many starting each day. Your biggest challenge will be the weather (you'll be crossing the Pyrenees in mid-winter; the Napoleon route is closed as it's too dangerous) and there's a good chance you'll encounter storms and snow throughout your time on the camino, so make sure you have the right gear and heed the advice of locals!

The other challenge will be the accommodation, as lots of albergues are open seasonally. Here's a list to give you an idea: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

There are a number of threads on this forum on doing a "winter camino", so you'll find lots of information if you type that into the search box. The main advice is about having the right clothes (in a nutshell, you'll be dealing with a lot of wind, rain and mud, but it can also get warm so wear layers), and about albergues in winter - most albergues have very basic facilities, are poorly insulated and have no heating, so make sure you wrap up tight and don't expect to be able to dry your clothes (for me this was the biggest inconvenience of a winter camino - unless you've used waterproof gear everything stays wet!)
I expect to start in Toulouse at about that time, and do not expect to meet anyone until Puente La Reina. I would not recommend that you make any extraordinary effort to get to SJPdP. Just start in Pamplona. Many places will be closed on January, so there will be plenty of challenge without adding inconvenience.
I was thinking about doing just that, I figured if albergues were going to be far and few why add more difficulty.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so if I don't know the right terminology forgive me. I'm planning a much needed Camino starting from Barcelona on a Saturday and trying to get to SJPP. I'm wondering what's the most inexpensive route to pre-order, flight or train and bus? Also, can anyone give me advice about the number of alburges that might be open at the time? All and any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi there @Castro
Another way is to take a train from Barcelona Sants to Irun and catch the bus (approx 1 hr) across to Bayonne & connecting with the little train to Sjpdp.
I caught that direct train to Irun in 2014 from Barcelona when walking the Norte. Really relaxing way to get there - I pre booked the train before leaving Oz.

However., IMHO; it would suit even better if you got off this same train in ‘Pamplona’ and started your walk from there. (I’m thinking about then weather when you’re walking). Most of the train pilgrims got off at Pamplona when I was travelling. It’s a popular starting point for the CF.

Whatever you choose ., Buen Camino.
It will be fabulous.
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there @Castro
Another way is to take a train from Barcelona Sants to Irun and catch the bus (approx 1 hr) across to Bayonne & connecting with the little train to Sjpdp.
I caught that direct train to Irun in 2014 from Barcelona when walking the Norte. Really relaxing way to get there - I pre booked the train before leaving Oz.

However., IMHO; it would suit even better if you got off this same train in ‘Pamplona’ and started your walk from there. (I’m thinking about then weather when you’re walking). Most of the train pilgrims got off at Pamplona when I was travelling. It’s a popular starting point for the CF.

Whatever you choose ., Buen Camino.
It will be fabulous.
Annie
Thank you for the help, I'm getting the hint that maybe Pamplona is my best starting point for a winter camino. I realize the weather is going to be the biggest roadblock, but I'm living in Seattle so I am kinda used to cold weather.

Thank you for the help, I'm getting the hint that maybe Pamplona is my best starting point for a winter camino. I realize the weather is going to be the biggest roadblock, but I'm living in Seattle so I am kinda used to cold weather.
Hi Castro
Good to take well meaning advice., but follow your heart too if that is what you dreamed.
You could also get from Pamplona to Roncesvalles relatively easily by bus or taxi / and you won’t miss out on that great section to Pamplona. Too many choices .
Buen Camino
Annie

I'm walking from mid-February, just a month after you. Please keep us informed on how you are going :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm walking from mid-February, just a month after you. Please keep us informed on how you are going :)
I'll do my best to inform everyone how the conditions are, any other information I think people might want to know.

Greetings Castro,
We may likely cross paths. I don't have a firm date but I am looking to begin in Roncesvalles sometime between January 12-15. I haven't completely ruled out SJPdP but the journey to get there from Logroño and the journey to get from there to Roncesvalles may be more than what I wish to do in January...on the first days of a long inspirational journey :)

Buen Camino,
Rob

Welcome Castro
I started in St. Jean in mid January a couple of years ago. There were many more pilgrims walking during that period than I expected.
The municipal albergue in St. Jean had more than 18 pilgrims on the night I was there. They only had one dorm open so it was full.
The Pilgrim office issued a very good list of open albergues. There are now many more open in the Winter than in previous times.
Roncesvalles had only the old "overflow" dorm open. It was full and crowded with rain soaked pilgrims with nowhere to dry things. Bummer.
There were people around most of the time but very easy to be alone or away from others if you desire.

Surprising to me.....I was the only returning pilgrim starting from St. Jean. The others were on their first camino and most said they were trying to avoid the summer crowds. A few advised that it was the only time they could get away.
Winter is a good time to walk! But then...so is Spring...Summer....Fall!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back