• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Notre Dame in Paris to SJPDP

lthrnck55

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances via Lourdes Sept/Oct/Nov 2022
I am going to be flying into Paris. Will probably spend a few days there and visit Notre Dame Cathedral. I would like to begin my Pilgrimage from there. Is there a recommended/prefered route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For lack of a better place I am posting this here. The French magazine Le Pèlerin has obtained permission to take some photographs inside Notre-Dame de Paris. It is now nearly a year since the great fire. The photos are of a strange ethereal beauty. "Wounded but not destroyed", it says in the article. It would not be fair to copy-paste the photos here although I'd love to do that.

So here is the link. There's a gallery of five photos after the first paragraph, and eight more further down.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
These photos are transfixing. The charred remains of the forest of roof timbers...and then the rose window. Somehow the walls and windows stand, in spite of the damage. It is somehow bracing at this time, when we are all facing challenges.

Thank you @kather1na!

It brings tears to my eyes. I have been fortunate enough to see this mighty cathedral on three visits to Paris. I doubt I will be fortunate enough to live to see it restored. 😭😭😭

I would like to begin my Pilgrimage from there

Your other option is to start at Tour Saint-Jacques - or make your way past it on your way out of the city. Cheers, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going to be flying into Paris. Will probably spend a few days there and visit Notre Dame Cathedral. I would like to begin my Pilgrimage from there. Is there a recommended/prefered route?
Or Sacre Coeur where there are plenty of arrows and a good vibe.
Take your time getting out and watch the roads.

For lack of a better place I am posting this here. The French magazine Le Pèlerin has obtained permission to take some photographs inside Notre-Dame de Paris. It is now nearly a year since the great fire. The photos are of a strange ethereal beauty. "Wounded but not destroyed", it says in the article. It would not be fair to copy-paste the photos here although I'd love to do that.

So here is the link. There's a gallery of five photos after the first paragraph, and eight more further down.
Thank you @Kathar1na
Hard to believe.... 1 year.... and look where we are.... 😢

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have Faith !!! 👍
Happy Easter 🐰🙏

G'Day @CWBuff , I have faith, but unfortunately medical science has made its pronouncements on my condition and 5 years is about the average. I might get more but would prefer quality over quantity.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
oh wow. i haven't heard of that. thanks for posting.
lthrnck55, that's a long time post. what was the route you've taken?

there is a flat stone marker in the square next to the cathedral which was a starting point for pilgrims a long time ago. I stood there long before I actually went on Camino 2004. If you have time, look for it and say a word or two for me whilst you are at it. Walk soft, stay safe and buen Camino

The Malingerer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i would really love to be there to be honest. but i seriously doubt that with all this recipes covid situation we're allowed. plus, i don't really want to take the risk. nonetheless, i would plan it later.

Last edited:

The traditional starting point is actually the Tour Saint Jacques which is a couple hundred yards north of Notre Dame.

The route is the Voie de Paris/Voie de Tours -- but there are two main variants ; one via Orléans, which is supposedly the "official" one", and another via Chartres, which I'd actually recommend as it gets you quickest into nature, and the pilgrimage to Chartres is itself quite wonderful, as is Chartres itself and especially its magnificent cathedral.

Though there is actually a third alternative, in which you'd walk to Orléans from Chartres -- that would mean taking a DIY route between the two with doubts about somewhere to sleep, but OTOH you get to talk a walk along the Loire and see Chartres, whereas on the normal route via Chartres you'd only cross the river at Tours.

From Tours it's pretty straightforward, you just follow the waymarks.

EDIT : oh, old thread syndrome LOL -- heh, never mind

Anyone lucky to be in Paris in the next 6 months should visit the new exhibition in the crypt below the Parvis in front of Notre Dame cathedral
The exhibition opens today 9 September 2020 and details Victor Hugo's writing about and Viollet Le Duc's restauration of the cathedral in the 19th century.

Read/see more below including 2019 film reportage of the horrific fire

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back