• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Porto Airport to the Coast

Rainerbernd

Time of past OR future Camino
On St James ways since 1971
Olá,

some pilgrims want to visit the beautiful town of Porto on their way back home. They have ordered their Credential at Ivar´s shop in advance. So they can easily start at the airport heading towards Angeiras > Vila do Conde.

There is a tunnel under the runway!

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.2510...SYG5WTGgGAUgSQA2EBSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It´s easy to get there:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1f7FqKYGJS5uWZAuuqYzSBTlYyo0&ll=41.244476848316324,-8.67530499999998&z=15

After the tunnel:

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/41.2...b9e356f5a8d!2m2!1d-8.7202437!2d41.2684898!3e2
Follow the green arrows!

Later on your way:

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.2536...PiqI8AxuFKbAQRkwUBmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Follow the signs to praias and campismo, leading to Angeiras > Vila do Conde along the coast. To Vila do Conde is on the main road!.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why not take the Metro to Matasinhos Mercardo ? Simples.

Olá,

some pilgrims want to visit the beautiful town of Porto on their way back home. They have ordered their Credential at Ivar´s shop in advance. So they can easily start at the airport heading towards Angeiras > Vila do Conde.

There is a tunnel under the runway!

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.2510...SYG5WTGgGAUgSQA2EBSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It´s easy to get there:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1f7FqKYGJS5uWZAuuqYzSBTlYyo0&ll=41.244476848316324,-8.67530499999998&z=15

After the tunnel:

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/41.2...b9e356f5a8d!2m2!1d-8.7202437!2d41.2684898!3e2
Follow the green arrows!

Later on your way:

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.2536...PiqI8AxuFKbAQRkwUBmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Follow the signs to praias and campismo, leading to Angeiras > Vila do Conde along the coast. To Vila do Conde is on the main road!.

Thanks Rainer, I bet this thread will encourage some to start walking from the airport who otherwise wouldn't be able to figure it out.

I remember hearing about an albergue that was close to the Porto airport, and I'm wondering if this path passes by it or close to it.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Rainer, I bet this thread will encourage some to start walking from the airport who otherwise wouldn't be able to figure it out.

I remember hearing about an albergue that was close to the Porto airport, and I'm wondering if this path passes by it or close to it.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Olá Laurie,

From Porto Airport to the nearest albergue, Pargue de Campismo Angeiras, it´s about 50 min to 1 hour to walk. Pilgrims can stay in nice bungalows for 9 € to 13 € with their Credential. Open 24 hours. The next Albergue will be S. Tiago in Labruge, 25 min to walk from Angeiras and a bit of path. There is a new albergue in Vila do Conde, Santa Clara, 2 hours to walk from Angeiras.

Last edited:
Why not take the Metro to Matasinhos Mercardo ? Simples.

Why not? It´s up to the pilgrim! Well , I have done the way from Porto to Angeiras more than 20 times when living in Angeiras. Walking from Matosinhos (Mercado) over the Ponte Movel to Angeiras takes you a bit more than 2 hours. Including the Metro ride - roundabout three hours.

Olá Laurie,

From Porto Airport to the nearest albergue, Pargue de Campismo Angeiras.
I think Laurie means the one run by the two sisters or cousins, a few minutes walk from the airport. Airporto Hostel. Much closer than the Angeiras camping.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think Laurie means the one run by the two sisters or cousins, a few minutes walk from the airport. Airporto Hostel. Much closer than the Angeiras camping.

Olá Anemone, thank you for mentioning it. I´ve never been there. You are right, it is much closer to the airport, but when your flight arrives not that late, I think it´s better to start walking. I know two German girls. They arrived Angeiras after midnight last year.

Olá Anemone, thank you for mentioning it. I´ve never been there. You are right, it is much closer to the airport, but when your flight arrives not that late, I think it´s better to start walking.
Better for whom? And under what conditions? After a trans-Atlantic flight, I am not looking to walk. If I had come in from Australia I would most certainly not be looking to walk. And then it depends on where one wants to walk to the day after...

@Rainerbernd

Brilliant! Thank you!! I have just left Fatima and bussed to Coimbra... am hoping to do the coastal route from Porto (again!) next week.... may walk to Angieras campsite from the airport, as I may hv to ...

I hv forgotten my JBrierley book so gonna walk wt help from memories from my November caminho otherwise I will hunt for a guide in Porto

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rainerbernd fantastic post, thank you very much shering your knowledge about the diferent ways!

btw there is little shortcut to the tunel under the airport.... here is the link

https://www.google.de/maps/place/41°14'32.8"N+8°40'18.2"W/@41.2424573,-8.6804638,2336m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d41.242442!4d-8.6717092

am really tempted to start walking from airport, I could visit Porto city another time....oh yes and there is new pingo after crossing under the runeway not fare from airport on the way to the coast, perfect place to gather food and water and eat ooked meal, love pingo

Last edited:
We’re walking the other way from the airport- ie north on the central way. Any tips on directions out of the airport and nearby places to stay would be gratefully received.

We’re walking the other way from the airport- ie north on the central way. Any tips on directions out of the airport and nearby places to stay would be gratefully received.
Walk to Maia and find the waymarkers direction Santiago ( Maia , Gemunde, Mosteiro, Vairão to Vilarinho and São Pedro de Rates to Barcelos and on .In Vairão is a nice albergue in a former monastery ,Monastério de Vairão
I will be there friday next .

Donot forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda -18 kms after Barcelos to Ponte de Lima. The best place to stay at the entire caminho Português
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you.
I’m wondering about which way, now to avoide heavy vehicle traffic. I’ll look at those threads and consider which one to take.

Thank you.
I’m wondering about which way, now to avoide heavy vehicle traffic. I’ll look at those threads and consider which one to take.
Once direction Vairão you're out of the heavy traffic area and come into a more rural area. Not others than the rest of the central route further on .

@Lozette

I got the tram a couple of stops and started walking the Central Route last year. It was aesy enough and got me out of the busy road.

The Metro is right at the Airport. I went 2 stops to Verde and then got another Metro to Villar do Pinheiro, another couple of stops. (no traffic)

This drops you about 1/2 km from the Camino at Mostairo. I carried on walking for my first night at Mosteiro de Vairao just outside Vilarinho. It was ideal for me as my plane got in at lunch time and I had been to Porto before so didn't feel the need to visit the town again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for you helpful advice.
I’m so appreciative of this site which I ‘stumbled’ upon while looking for things Camino Portuguese- hopefully the only stumbling I will do!!

I walked out of the terminal, turned right and right again and more or less just followed that road to the coast where my first pension was, after 24hrs on a plane it was a good way to get some blood flowing again and start the Camino that way. Heading back to Porto tomorrow and will spend some quality time with a dear friend there.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back