• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Porto airport?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
I have read about walking from the Porto airport to the central route. I am interested in doing this if it is safe, but I cannot find details about how to get from the airport to the path. If anyone has done this or is familiar with the route, I would love to hear from you. Additionally, especially for those who have done it...what was your impression of this approach versus going into Porto and starting from there. (I will have a couple days in Porto for sightseeing when I am done, so I will be able to see the city then ).
This is my first time on the CP, so I'm not as confident as I am on the CF. All advice is welcome!
Thanks so much!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have read about walking from the Porto airport to the central route. I am interested in doing this if it is safe, but I cannot find details about how to get from the airport to the path. If anyone has done this or is familiar with the route, I would love to hear from you. Additionally, especially for those who have done it...what was your impression of this approach versus going into Porto and starting from there. (I will have a couple days in Porto for sightseeing when I am done, so I will be able to see the city then ).
This is my first time on the CP, so I'm not as confident as I am on the CF. All advice is welcome!
Thanks so much!
Haven’t done it but it Looks like a fairly straightforward walk to Zona industrial de Maia and the Central route goes through there. I’m aiming to walk from the airport to join the Coastal route in June. I’ll just keep heading towards the sea! Good luck and buen Camino.

Haven’t done it but it Looks like a fairly straightforward walk to Zona industrial de Maia and the Central route goes through there. I’m aiming to walk from the airport to join the Coastal route in June. I’ll just keep heading towards the sea! Good luck and buen Camino.

Have done the coast from the Airport (3 miles) but in looking at the map (below), the Coastal is only a couple of hundred metres away from the airport - Rua da Estrada. Missed that.

Central route, is as you say, a little further on at Moreira.

Attachments

• Porto_Airport.jpg
    Porto_Airport.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 128
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have done it twice . Moreless find your way to the N13 road .
From the airport we used GPS on the Iphone untill we reached the N13 to the village of Cruce .There you’ll find the waymarkers to Gemunde , Mosteiro, Giao ,Vairão to Vilarinho and on to São Pedro de Rates and the rest of the central route.
Both times we stayed in the albergue o Mosteiro do VairĂŁo , 13 kms from the airport after the arrival in Porto

Last edited:
Thanks so much!
Hi. Haven't done it either but Airport is about 5kms from the Central and just next to the Coastal. I Will be joining the Coastal this Wensday from Airport. If you download Maps.me it will make your journey from Airport so straightforward. Enjoy the adventure. Daniel

Thanks so much!
This is my screenshot of Maps.me and as you can see if i were to zoom in it shows every street, track etc. The black line to thr right is the Central route.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-150103_MAPSME.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-150103_MAPSME.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our plan is to go to Matasinhos from the airport, which is on the Coastal, and stay for the night. Then start on the Coastal to Vila do Conde, where you can turn to Sao Pedro de Rates for the rest of the central route.
Here’s ways to get from the airport to Matasinhos. https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Porto-Airport-OPO/Matosinhos
From the airport direct to the Central route is simple to do and all the trafic hassle from Porto has disappeared from there
Nevertheless that it is a beautifull hike from Matosinhos along the coast.

Don't know if you have a guidebook for the Camino Portuguese, but the Brierley book's map has it clearly laid out from the airport to the routes. Easy to use.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I have walked from the airport couple times, the above mentioned guide, or maps.me is very very good (we just walked the Camino Mozarabe and maps.me really saved us lots of time when yellow arrows alone is not quite sufficient sometimes!). When you go out the Porto airport, there is a walkway to your left, which will take you out of the airport, through the town then to the camino. We stayed at the Airporto Hostel couple times too (according to Gronze.com, the hostel is about 800 meters from the airport. If I remember right, there is arrow outside the hostel pointing you to the camino.

Yes I have walked from the airport couple times, the above mentioned guide, or maps.me is very very good (we just walked the Camino Mozarabe and maps.me really saved us lots of time when yellow arrows alone is not quite sufficient sometimes!). When you go out the Porto airport, there is a walkway to your left, which will take you out of the airport, through the town then to the camino. We stayed at the Airporto Hostel couple times too (according to Gronze.com, the hostel is about 800 meters from the airport. If I remember right, there is arrow outside the hostel pointing you to the camino.
Hi Simon. How was the Mozarabe? I had to cancel as Covid just arrived? Daniel

I like to look at unfamiliar roads I'm walking on Google Street view, to see if there are sidewalks and the size of the street.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Simon. How was the Mozarabe? I had to cancel as Covid just arrived? Daniel
we started from Almeria, the walk is really nice and sometimes the walk is longer than what is said. People from the Almeria Association such as Nely, Mercedes, made the walk so much more enjoyable as they manage the albergues very well and keep you connected!

we started from Almeria, the walk is really nice and sometimes the walk is longer than what is said. People from the Almeria Association such as Nely, Mercedes, made the walk so much more enjoyable as they manage the albergues very well and keep you connected!
Ah yes. I heard about the association. My trip would have been from Malaga. Got great info from Magwood if you have ever come across her. Anyhow I'll get to go again. Got a couple of weeks from Coimbra last Sept in Portugal and off tomorrow to start again from Porto. Its quite addictive, isn't it. Thanks for the reply.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah yes. I heard about the association. My trip would have been from Malaga. Got great info from Magwood if you have ever come across her. Anyhow I'll get to go again. Got a couple of weeks from Coimbra last Sept in Portugal and off tomorrow to start again from Porto. Its quite addictive, isn't it. Thanks for the reply.
I don't mean to digress -- we took the bus from Cordoba to Antequera then walked back to Malaga! What a beautiful walk as Magwood and other pilgrims said! Not easy walk but you will enjoy the walk and those towns!! By the way how do you like walking from Coimbra, I am planning to do that too!
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back