• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Porto to Santiago- options

Keith Martin Davis

Time of past OR future Camino
this will be my Second Camino. Camino Frances 2015
Hi I have completed the French Camino and now want to do the Portugues Camino with my wife this time. We have two weeks and will be going in the month of May. 15 days for walking. I do not want to make this walk difficult for my wife. Any suggestions such as 100% coastal route, start coastal then go for interior at Tui or Redondela or even stick to interior so called Camino Central. Thinking also of which route offers frequent accommodation options. Thank you in advance have the John Brierley book.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I have completed the French Camino and now want to do the Portugues Camino with my wife this time. We have two weeks and will be going in the month of May. 15 days for walking. I do not want to make this walk difficult for my wife. Any suggestions such as 100% coastal route, start coastal then go for interior at Tui or Redondela or even stick to interior so called Camino Central. Thinking also of which route offers frequent accommodation options. Thank you in advance have the John Brierley book.

Hello Keith,
I haven't walked them myself yet, however your timescale might allow you to walk the Coastal and Variante Espiritual routes from Porto?

There's some useful info in the Resources Section, within the CaminoPortuguese part.

Also, if you search for Alberthino's posts, you may find a link he provided to a very good source of information for these routes. I can't find it at the moment to send it to you I'm afraid. Maybe Alberthino will see this and help you out.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi, Keith,
Welcome to the forum. I'm moving this thread to the regular Camino Portugués section, because the Camino Portugues Interior route (where you have posted this) is actually a route that goes from Viseu through Chaves and up to the Sanabrés in Verín. It looks like a beautiful route, and there are some good reports on the forum from people who have walked it, but I don't think it's the route you are interested in. Let me know if I'm wrong, and I'll move it back. Or I could move it to the Coastal route from Porto subsection, bom caminho, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It kind of depends what kind of camino you want. A solitary? Then stay on the coast or walk the inland route. If you want an experience like the frances, the more social (but not AS busy as Frances) do walk the central route, where yiunwould walk day one along the coast and on day two go inland, exactly like walli walker said in a previous post.

Enjoy!! Its a lovely route and a fantastic time to walk, Mid may.

The Coastal route is relatively flat so may be more feasible for you and your wife. You can download in PDF Luis Freixo's maps see http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117 You should be able to do it ok :
Porto to Vila do Conde/Povoa de Varzim
Povoa..to Esposende
Esposende to Viana do Castelo
Viana..to Caminha
Caminha to Mougas
Mougas to Ramallosa
Ramallosa to Vigo
Vigo to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Santiago de Compostela
A total of 12 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back