• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking from Porto to Santiago this sept

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
Hi, I am planning to walk alone from Porto this sept (starting 7th). I have walked the last 3 years the Francés route and although I walked alone, I never was!! I met the most wonderful people every stage of the way and it was lovely to have company and a chat along the way at times, other times it was fantastic to just be by myself (much more difficult from Sarria onwards!!) My question is this, has anyone any advice walking the coastal route alone especially around the Esposende area? Also if anyone is on the same route around the 7th or 8th and wouldn't mind some walking company please let me know - I am both a good talker (being Irish!) and listener (being Irish and nosey!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi laineylainey, we walked the Senda Litoral in late May/early June. We had also walked two Frances, so had some expectations based upon experience. On our first day out of Porto, we did not see a single pilgrim until we stopped for lunch. Not one. No local wished us a Bom Caminho either. It was odd compared to what we knew. Some times we felt like an oddity out there with our backpacks and walking sticks heading down the sidewalk with the locals out for their daily stroll. In my journal I noted in Caminha that we had only met 15 total pilgrims. We still met some really great people, enjoyed ourselves very much, but fellow pilgrims can be few and far in between. It got much more occupied after the Coastal joined the Interior at Redondela. That was our experience.

Hi laineylainey, we walked the Senda Litoral in late May/early June. We had also walked two Frances, so had some expectations based upon experience. On our first day out of Porto, we did not see a single pilgrim until we stopped for lunch. Not one. No local wished us a Bom Caminho either. It was odd compared to what we knew. Some times we felt like an oddity out there with our backpacks and walking sticks heading down the sidewalk with the locals out for their daily stroll. In my journal I noted in Caminha that we had only met 15 total pilgrims. We still met some really great people, enjoyed ourselves very much, but fellow pilgrims can be few and far in between. It got much more occupied after the Coastal joined the Interior at Redondela. That was our experience.
Thank you Telelama for replying to me. I notice you say "we" - do you think it is okay for walking alone? I do not mind at all walking by myself but wonder if the coastal route is just too quiet for solo travellers?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I am planning to walk alone from Porto this sept (starting 7th). I have walked the last 3 years the Francés route and although I walked alone, I never was!! I met the most wonderful people every stage of the way and it was lovely to have company and a chat along the way at times, other times it was fantastic to just be by myself (much more difficult from Sarria onwards!!) My question is this, has anyone any advice walking the coastal route alone especially around the Esposende area? Also if anyone is on the same route around the 7th or 8th and wouldn't mind some walking company please let me know - I am both a good talker (being Irish!) and listener (being Irish and nosey!).
Hiya Laineylainey, I am going to be your shadow as I am doing the coastal Portuguese route myself but will be starting 15th September (please God!) I am also Irish :) Your concerns are ones I have had aswell but I reckon it will be okay. This route from what I read online, is the second busiest camino so hopefully it won't be a case of tumbleweed in terms of lack of people. Sure, maybe our paths will cross at some point along the way! If not, Buen Camino! :)
Eims

My friend and I walked the coastal route from Porto to Caminhas then inland to Valenca in September 2014. From Porto to Povoa de Varzim we saw 2 pilgrims in total. We met up with 4 other pilgrims on the coastal route on the second day to Marinhas and stayed as a group. The six of us were the only people staying in the albergue there.
We saw very few other pilgrims until we reached Valenca where we saw very many. That probably happened as we reached Valenca on a Friday and it was likely to be a peak day for the pilgrims wanting a compostela by walking the minimum distance. Municipal albergues at Redondela and Pontevedra were full early afternoon. Buen Camino

Hiya Laineylainey, I am going to be your shadow as I am doing the coastal Portuguese route myself but will be starting 15th September (please God!) I am also Irish :) Your concerns are ones I have had aswell but I reckon it will be okay. This route from what I read online, is the second busiest camino so hopefully it won't be a case of tumbleweed in terms of lack of people. Sure, maybe our paths will cross at some point along the way! If not, Buen Camino! :)
Eims
Eims thank you so much for your very cheery reply. I had the same concerns last year when I left Santiago to go on to Finisterre, I thought I would be the only person doing it!!! It was so wonderful once I found the right road to see so many people ahead of me.
Here's to us both having a great Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My friend and I walked the coastal route from Porto to Caminhas then inland to Valenca in September 2014. From Porto to Povoa de Varzim we saw 2 pilgrims in total. We met up with 4 other pilgrims on the coastal route on the second day to Marinhas and stayed as a group. The six of us were the only people staying in the albergue there.
We saw very few other pilgrims until we reached Valenca where we saw very many. That probably happened as we reached Valenca on a Friday and it was likely to be a peak day for the pilgrims wanting a compostela by walking the minimum distance. Municipal albergues at Redondela and Pontevedra were full early afternoon. Buen Camino
Thank you for taking time to reply. I am just hoping that perhaps a few more people might be doing the coastal route this year, but who knows...

Hi Lainey, also planning to walk form Porto on the 7th or 8th so may well meet up on route, have a good one

Beun Camino
Oh that's great to know! It would be lovely to meet up? I am leaving Porto on the 7th and think I will take the metro to Matosinhos to avoid the city trek out of Porto. I am on WhatsApp (Elaine Walker) or my email is elaine@elaineewalker.com if you fancy meeting up along the way?
Either way it's lovely to know there will be at least 2 of us on the road!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Eims
There will be at least two of us along there then - that's my start date, too! Bom caminho!

Hi laineylainey, you certainly can walk it alone. I'm was simply stating our experience was that we saw very few fellow pilgrims. There will not be an abundant of fellow pilgrims like you experienced on the Frances. It is still well worth doing! It sounds like you have one, possibly two fellow pilgrims to walk with already!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There will be at least two of us along there then - that's my start date, too! Bom caminho!
Hi KariC, that's great! Nice to know there will be a few of us out there! Buen camino to you too! :)

Hi Folks,
I am just back from the Camino Portuguese.
I did the Coastal from Porto/Matosinhos up to Viana de Castelo.
1. It is excellently well marked.
2. It is getting very very busy, mainly all alburgues were full.
3. It is stunning!!! I loved it!!! the first 2 days along the waters edge are like a big reward or a present from someone or something special.
4.I met many lone walkers me being one of them (Until TUI) but also several females who all felt fine and safe.

I had to turn inland to Ponte de Lima in order to meet my wife at TUI.
The Central route is gone crazy it now resembles the Frances route!
Overall I had a wonderful Camino and will certainly return to go further along the Coastal path.

However on entry to Santiago I found some confusion, see attached foto???

Finally, Portuguese people rock, noI mean they are the most humble and aware people I have ever met.
( I have several examples too many to mention)

Buen Camino

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
Hi Folks,
3. It is stunning!!! I loved it!!! the first 2 days along the waters edge are like a big reward or a present from someone or something special.
4.I met many lone walkers me being one of them (Until TUI) but also several females who all felt fine and safe.

Overall I had a wonderful Camino and will certainly return to go further along the Coastal path.

Finally, Portuguese people rock, noI mean they are the most humble and aware people I have ever met.

Buen Camino
PeterBarry thanks for your reply - it's so cheering to hear your story! Thanks again, Oh by the way I notice you are from Dublin. The first year I did St Jean to Logrono, I though Dublin must have closed for the week as nearly everyone I met was a Dub and so the craic was great - great memories!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Me, too! I'm starting from Matosinhos along the coast, leaving it open when and if to turn inland.

No way, that is funny, as I'm starting from Matosinhos, too! We will be sure to meet up along the way so!

Just a quick question for those doing this route in September, are you taking a sleeping bag with you, or a sleeping sheet? I'm planning on staying in low budget hotels/guesthouses with the odd alberque thrown in along the way. So, I am trying to weigh up what would be more sensible to bring. I am not great at packing light so trying to stick to a list of essentials is proving to be a big challenge!

Thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No way, that is funny, as I'm starting from Matosinhos, too! We will be sure to meet up along the way so!

Just a quick question for those doing this route in September, are you taking a sleeping bag with you, or a sleeping sheet? I'm planning on staying in low budget hotels/guesthouses with the odd alberque thrown in along the way. So, I am trying to weigh up what would be more sensible to bring. I am not great at packing light so trying to stick to a list of essentials is proving to be a big challenge!

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Eims - I've gone back and forth on it, and even got a compromise sleeping sack - an ultralight blanket sewn in a sleeve (the shape of a sleeping bag, but just one blanket layer), but think I'm going to just bring a silk sleeping bag liner. My sleeping plan is similar to yours, though maybe a bit heavier on albergues - but I also realize that where I decide to stop at night may not have them - and figure the hotels/guesthouses would be far more likely to have blankets. I'm also tentatively planning to bring lightweight long underwear, which could also be used for cool day hiking, and is definitely more compact and lighter weight than even the sleeping sack. According to a website I found, the average low temp for areas we'll be hiking is between 52 and 55 F, so it's not like we'll be anywhere frigid. That's my plan!

Thanks in advance.[
Eims, in my experience if you are staying in accommodation in a B&B/Guesthouse - I don't think you would need a sleeping bag? And it's extra luggage? I have managed over the last 4 years to reduce the amount of stuff I take dramatically (the first year I took the equivalent of a small chemist as well as the stock of a small sports store!), even so I STILL take too much and that is at least 70% less than year 1!! Good luck with your packing and maybe leave the sleeping bag behind - you could always buy one over there if you find you need one??

Hi, Eims - I've gone back and forth on it, and even got a compromise sleeping sack - an ultralight blanket sewn in a sleeve (the shape of a sleeping bag, but just one blanket layer), but think I'm going to just bring a silk sleeping bag liner. My sleeping plan is similar to yours, though maybe a bit heavier on albergues - but I also realize that where I decide to stop at night may not have them - and figure the hotels/guesthouses would be far more likely to have blankets. I'm also tentatively planning to bring lightweight long underwear, which could also be used for cool day hiking, and is definitely more compact and lighter weight than even the sleeping sack. According to a website I found, the average low temp for areas we'll be hiking is between 52 and 55 F, so it's not like we'll be anywhere frigid. That's my plan!

Thanks KariC, that is a great help. That sounds like a great plan! I like the sound of your sleeping sack by the way. The silk sleeping bag liner seem to come highly recommended too. Cool, thanks for that!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lainelylainey, thanks for that. Yeah, I think I will leave it and stick with the sheet. You're right, I can always get one if it is needed. As for your packing a chemist in your bag, sounds exactly like me! Haha, I always take too much.
Thanks ladies, appreciate the advice!

Eims
Eims, I'm starting the coastal route from Motosinhos on September 14th - walking slowly so I'll probably see you along the way. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

I have walked Senda Litoral from Porto. I was a solo traveller and didn't lack the company. That was in August. I've met few pilgrims along the beach and then for a night in albergues there was a huge verity to choose from :) Senda Litoral and Camino de la Costa come together in cities and towns so even after a day of walking on wild beach I have never felt lonely. Also, I have noticed that in Portugal not so many people greet pilgrims with so well known Buen Camino but people recognise that I am a pilgrim and most often offer a smile but also lunch or at least a chat.

Buen Camino

Kasia

Eims
Well

Hi,

I have walked Senda Litoral from Porto. I was a solo traveller and didn't lack the company. That was in August. I've met few pilgrims along the beach and then for a night in albergues there was a huge verity to choose from :) Senda Litoral and Camino de la Costa come together in cities and towns so even after a day of walking on wild beach I have never felt lonely. Also, I have noticed that in Portugal not so many people greet pilgrims with so well known Buen Camino but people recognise that I am a pilgrim and most often offer a smile but also lunch or at least a chat.

Buen Camino

Kasia

Hi,
can you tell me the cities the senda litoral join with the coastal way?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lainey,
We walked from Viana to Caminha to Valenca and then on to SdC. Very few pilgrims in Portugal but that changed for us imediate ly upon entering Spain. You be fine. Bom Camino.

€149,-
Will there be room on the boardwalk for two auld fellas starting from Matosinhos 14 Sept? Flying two sheets in the wind!!! Say hello!

ct[/QUOTE]
Here's to all those walking and still to walk, whatever route - God Bless and take care and maybe see you along the way (if you're walking the Coastal Portuguese early Sept!).

Hi Lainey and all,

My son and I will be leaving Porto on Sept. 10. We arrive on the 7th and will be 'tourists' for a couple of days before starting out from Motosinhos.

I am excited there will be others, from here, walking around the same time.:)

Our pilgrimage and journey will continue on to Bilbao, Bucharest (by plane), Paris, and finally Istanbul.

If you see a 50-something, short haired blonde woman and a tall, handsome, 22 year old young man along the way - say "Hi!".

Not to hijack the thread - can anyone direct me to links/info on where to get our compestelas in Porto, best albergues along the way, AND if there are 'memorials' along the way to leave a stone?

Bon Caminho!

Tana (and Joel)

Hi Lainey,
Myself and a friend are walking from Porto on the Coastal route on Sept 8th so if you get slowed down at all we will be seeing you on route. I have done the Frances route(3 years ago) and am really looking forward to walking on the coast. The crowds of the Camino Frances are being traded for the scenery of the Coastal. I find it hard to believe that you will be alone for very long....the call of the blarney is just too strong. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lainey and all,

My son and I will be leaving Porto on Sept. 10. We arrive on the 7th and will be 'tourists' for a couple of days before starting out from Motosinhos.

I am excited there will be others, from here, walking around the same time.:)

Our pilgrimage and journey will continue on to Bilbao, Bucharest (by plane), Paris, and finally Istanbul.

If you see a 50-something, short haired blonde woman and a tall, handsome, 22 year old young man along the way - say "Hi!".

Not to hijack the thread - can anyone direct me to links/info on where to get our compestelas in Porto, best albergues along the way, AND if there are 'memorials' along the way to leave a stone?

Bon Caminho!

Tana (and Joel)
Tana (and Joel), thanks so much for your lovely reply. I love the sound of your total journey. Over the few years I have been walking I have frequently been amazed at how much people have travelled before and after the Camino itself!
As for your question about "memorials" on the Portuguese Coastal route , I too would love to hear about that.
Bom Caminho
Elaine

Hi Lainey,
Myself and a friend are walking from Porto on the Coastal route on Sept 8th so if you get slowed down at all we will be seeing you on route. I have done the Frances route(3 years ago) and am really looking forward to walking on the coast. The crowds of the Camino Frances are being traded for the scenery of the Coastal. I find it hard to believe that you will be alone for very long....the call of the blarney is just too strong. Buen Camino
You surely have some Irish blood yourself with that charm.....!
Bom caminho
Elaine

Good to know there will others - I am leaving Lisbon tomorrow (Sun 8/28) but hope to put in some good mile

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good to know there will others - I am leaving Lisbon tomorrow (Sun 8/28) but hope to put in some good mile
hit the wrong button. Hope to make some good mileage but unlikely to get there so quick. I really hadn't considered the coastal route but I have time to look it over. Have a great trip.

There are 4of us starting Porto on 3rd Sept, and I have 2 friends 3 days in front and 2 3 days behind
And I'm taking a light sleeping bag

Hi Lainey, I plan to leave from Porto the 15th. Maybe I'll see you, though if all goes well for you, you should be far ahead of me! Buen Camino .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Eims

I will be behind you. I arrive in Lisbon on September 15th. So already we know of some Pilgrims - at least - who will be around

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all, it looks like there will be many wonderful people from this forum on the Portuguese routes in September. Two of us expect to start walking the coast from Marinhas on September 14th after a week in Lisbon, Fátima, and Porto. I hope we meet some of you along the way.

Bom Caminho!

Mike

Hi all, my wife and I, a couple of 50 something Canadians, eh? will begin walking ex Porto - the Cathedral, on Sept 19th. We will follow the Douro via the Seashore path to Povoa de Varzim and meet up with the Coastal path thru to Pontevedra, and then join the Camino Central onwards to Santiago de Compostella. Really just trying to follow the Coast as long as possible. We have purchased the newest (2016) edition of John Brierley's Pilgrim's guide to Camino Portuguese. It is only this new edition, that includes the Coastal path with maps and accomodation options etc. If others are walking at this time, let us know here, and we will keep an eye and ear out for you.

Bom Camino

Rick and Sandyt

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, my wife and I, a couple of 50 something Canadians, eh? will begin walking ex Porto - the Cathedral, on Sept 19th. We will follow the Douro via the Seashore path to Povoa de Varzim and meet up with the Coastal path thru to Pontevedra, and then join the Camino Central onwards to Santiago de Compostella. Really just trying to follow the Coast as long as possible. We have purchased the newest (2016) edition of John Brierley's Pilgrim's guide to Camino Portuguese. It is only this new edition, that includes the Coastal path with maps and accomodation options etc. If others are walking at this time, let us know here, and we will keep an eye and ear out for you.

Bom Camino

Rick and Sandyt

Hi Rick and Sandyt, I arrive in Porto on September 18th and will begin walking on September 20 along the coastal road. So maybe we'll meet somewhere on the road.

Hi Lainey I am arriving in Porto on the 7th and starting to walk on the 8th and would be happy to start walking with you. I have walked the French Camino in 2012 but am not a fast walker

I will be behind you. I arrive in Lisbon on September 15th. So already we know of some Pilgrims - at least - who will be around
Hi Liz,
I'm so glad that there will be quite a few people starting out in and around the same time or at least within the same week! If you see someone looking lost, it will most likely be myself. (I have the worst sense of direction ever! )
Hope our paths do cross at some point along the way! Not long to go now!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rick and Sandyt, I arrive in Porto on September 18th and will begin walking on September 20 along the coastal road. So maybe we'll meet somewhere on the road.
Hi Nadia, thanks for reply. You will start a day behind (20th), but I think the more direct route, so there is a good chance we may cross paths somewhere. We will keep an eye out for you.
Bom Camino.

Hi Nadia, thanks for reply. You will start a day behind (20th), but I think the more direct route, so there is a good chance we may cross paths somewhere. We will keep an eye out for you.
Bom Camino.
Bom Caminho/Buen Camino :) See you around soon!

Hi Lainey I am arriving in Porto on the 7th and starting to walk on the 8th and would be happy to start walking with you. I have walked the French Camino in 2012 but am not a fast walker
Is anyone sending their bag ahead to Santiago? I'm looking for someone who can receive and hold my bag for me. I can pay for this service. I have never heard back from Ivar about sending my bag to his address, so I am looking at other options.
Gracias peregrinos ! Susan

€149,-
Is anyone sending their bag ahead to Santiago? I'm looking for someone who can receive and hold my bag for me. I can pay for this service. I have never heard back from Ivar about sending my bag to his address, so I am looking at other options.

@ivar is normally extremely responsive, have you tried contacting him via this forum? Perhaps your initial email went awol into some black internet hole? Buen Camino, SY

@ivar is normally extremely responsive, have you tried contacting him via this forum? Perhaps your initial email went awol into some black internet hole? Buen Camino, SY
I have tried numerous times just to get s yes or no he can receive my bag. I have to have a redlperson with a personal note from in urge to send my bag. Thanks if you can get a message directly to him.

Hi there,

I am open for business, so feel free to send away :) I can not see that I have received a message from you, did you e-mail me or was it via Facebook?

Either way, here are more info about my service:
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html

Buen Camino!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

I am open for business, so feel free to send away :) I can not see that I have received a message from you, did you e-mail me or was it via Facebook?

Either way, here are more info about my service:
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Fantastico! Thank you Ivar. I appreciate having a direct " go ahead" from you. I have the instructions. Now I can start planning my route!

Also if there is a PayPal email I would like to make an additional donation yo help with Camino maintenance.

Hasta Septiembre! Susan D

I would love to walk with anyone from Ireland! But I won't be able to leave Porto till September 15.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are 4of us starting Porto on 3rd Sept, and I have 2 friends 3 days in front and 2 3 days behind
And I'm taking a light sleeping bag
Hello Lady,

I hope our paths will cross one day. My husband and I are starting from Porto on the 5th. Buen Camino!

Sofia

Amazed at the great number of lovely sounding(!) people walking from Porto in September. Looking forward very much to hearing updates on the way. I am tentatively thinking of Porto-Santiago in November. If the weather is good, I will walk as far as I can along the coast - is that the Littoral way? If the weather turns bad, I may move into the "Coastal route" and if it gets worse again I suppose maybe the "Interior route". But really want to hear of people's experiences along the coast. Tim

Hi Inspired Walker, sorry been away a couple of days. I start to walk out of Porto (GW)on the 6th, so I will be a day ahead of you initially. I am sure we will hopefully meet up along the way!
Elaine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Amazed at the great number of lovely sounding(!) people walking from Porto in September. Looking forward very much to hearing updates on the way. I am tentatively thinking of Porto-Santiago in November. If the weather is good, I will walk as far as I can along the coast - is that the Littoral way? If the weather turns bad, I may move into the "Coastal route" and if it gets worse again I suppose maybe the "Interior route". But really want to hear of people's experiences along the coast. Tim
It looks as though the route I am doing - Porto - Vila da Conde, Viana do Castelo and Caminha, then Ferry to A Guarda to Baiona and Vigo rejoining central route at Redondela, is the Senda da Orla Litoral route. Though JB gives another version that runs parallel starting inland at Porto (Maia/Moreira) and then via Mindelo?

It looks as though the route I am doing - Porto - Vila da Conde, Viana do Castelo and Caminha, then Ferry to A Guarda to Baiona and Vigo rejoining central route at Redondela, is the Senda da Orla Litoral route. Though JB gives another version that runs parallel starting inland at Porto (Maia/Moreira) and then via Mindelo?
Hello Elaine, I am thinking of something similar, though it will depend on the November weather. I may turn inland at Caminha, but I will take it as it comes. All the best for next week(?) Tim

I am starting from Porto on sept 11th and am still unsure which direction to go!!!!! Going solo but I really don't want to be totally solo! Confused!!

I am starting from Porto on sept 11th and am still unsure which direction to go!!!!! Going solo but I really don't want to be totally solo! Confused!!
Hi Mauve I'm leaving on the 25yh and plan to avoid city traffic by taking metro from near Porto cathedrale to Vilar de Pinheiro, and walking from there. Plan to spend first night in Vairao. Yeah I'm also concerned about losing the trail..

By the number of comments/replies, I don't think you will be alone on either the coastal or internal routes? I am hoping for a bit of a breeze on the coastal route given the forecasted temps next week!!
Perhaps have a plan for your first stop and take if from there? Or are you concerned as to how to follow any of the routes??

By the number of comments/replies, I don't think you will be alone on either the coastal or internal routes? I am hoping for a bit of a breeze on the coastal route given the forecasted temps next week!!
Perhaps have a plan for your first stop and take if from there? Or are you concerned as to how to follow any of the routes??
Does anyone know, are there more specific walking maps at the albuergue S? I don't want to carry another map with me. I have my google maps but that will drain my battery if I have to use it all day. I'm sleeper ire about staying on the path.

Does anyone know, are there more specific walking maps at the albuergue S? I don't want to carry another map with me. I have my google maps but that will drain my battery if I have to use it all day. I'm sleeper ire about staying on the path.
Wikiloc are good for actual walking routes? I have downloaded a couple of their routes for my coastal route. But again they will use your battery. I think the routes are well signposted. At a very basic level, you could start by asking at your first night's accommodation to point you in the right direction in the morning when you set off. I have done this before just as a bit of reassurance!

Wikiloc are good for actual walking routes? I have downloaded a couple of their routes for my coastal route. But again they will use your battery. I think the routes are well signposted. At a very basic level, you could start by asking at your first night's accommodation to point you in the right direction in the morning when you set off. I have done this before just as a bit of reassurance!
Thank you! This is quite helpful. I found the route from metro stop Vilar de Pinheiro to where this route takes off towards Vairao, about 1.2 km. If anyone is leaving from Porto September 15, please join me if you like. To avoid car and bus pollution, I'm leaving from the Porto albuergue about 8 or 9, taking metro nearby to Vilar de Pinheiro, then walking from there.

Will there be room on the boardwalk for two auld fellas starting from Matosinhos 14 Sept? Flying two sheets in the wind!!! Say hello!

ct
[/QUOTE]
Hi Camlinrambler, I'm spending the night of the 13th in Maia - I will take the metro on the 14th to Matosinhos. I like to start easy with very short days and may only walk as far as Lavra the first day on then on to Vila do Conde the 2nd day. How far are you guys walking the first day? Buen Camino!

€149,-
Hi Camlinrambler, I'm spending the night of the 13th in Maia - I will take the metro on the 14th to Matosinhos. I like to start easy with very short days and may only walk as far as Lavra the first day on then on to Vila do Conde the 2nd day. How far are you guys walking the first day? Buen Camino![/QUOTE]
If you are in Maia following the caminho is more logical to walk to Vairão and Vilarinho up to São Pedro de Rates instead of going west to Matosinhos and the coast:confused: unless you want to follow the coastal all the time northwards.
In Vairão which is 14 km from Maia is an excellent albergue in a former monastery .
From Maia you walk in a rural environs..

Hi Camlinrambler, I'm spending the night of the 13th in Maia - I will take the metro on the 14th to Matosinhos. I like to start easy with very short days and may only walk as far as Lavra the first day on then on to Vila do Conde the 2nd day. How far are you guys walking the first day? Buen Camino!
If you are in Maia following the caminho is more logical to walk to Vairão and Vilarinho up to São Pedro de Rates instead of going west to Matosinhos and the coast:confused: unless you want to follow the coastal all the time northwards.
In Vairão which is 14 km from Maia is an excellent albergue in a former monastery .
From Maia you walk in a rural environs..[/QUOTE]
Hi Albertinho, Thanks for that information!

From Maia you walk in a rural environs..[/QUOTE]
I'm looking forward to spending my first night in Vairao. I want to do the main inland toute( though I'm sure the coastal route is nice). Susan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there,

My son and I are enjoying Porto so much that we decided to take the metro to Povoa de Varzim (sp?) and start from there on the 11th.
Plus, my leg needed the extra day of rest after I did a 'gravity test' *thump...splat* while strolling through Porto. :rolleyes:

We would be more than happy to have you walk with us, Mauveglass! :)

We did end up sending a package ahead to Ivar - stuff we will need after the Camino. It cost about €14 for a good sized box.

How wonderful that so many others will be walking, in September!

One day at a time...I keep telling myself...off we go!

Buen Camino!

Tana

I would love to walk with anyone from Ireland! But I won't be able to leave Porto till September 15.
Here is my tentative route:

September 15 circa 9 am: leave Porto So Cool Hostel, stop by Porto albuergue, walk to metro stop nearest albuergue, ride metro to Vilar de Pinheiro, follow my map to catch wiki locks trail, end first day at Vairao albuergue.

September 16: Vairao to Rates or Bartelos (depending on physical capacity for the day)

Then, roughly:
Bartelos
Ponte de Lima
Rubaies
Tui
Redondela
(O Porrino)
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Santiago de Compostela

My aim is to do 15 to 25 km a day, with possibly on it two 30 plus km days. I'll have to see how I hold up.

Buen Camino! Susan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there,

My son and I are enjoying Porto so much that we decided to take the metro to Povoa de Varzim (sp?) and start from there on the 11th.
Plus, my leg needed the extra day of rest after I did a 'gravity test' *thump...splat* while strolling through Porto. :rolleyes:

We did end up sending a package ahead to Ivar - stuff we will need after the Camino. It cost about €14 for a good sized box.

Buen Camino!

Tana
Hi Tana,

I'm starting from Matosinhos and go up the coast as far as Vila de Conde then over to
Arcos or Rates. That will be 2 days. Which route are you taking? I would love to walk with you! I'm going slow initially...11 km the first day. I walked the Frances in 2012 and learned to do it differently this time!

Hi there,

Buen Camino!

Tana
I just found where you are starting from which will be 1-2 days ahead of me. Are you going inland at any time? -Cindy

Well it looks like there will be quite a few of us walking from Pprto. I plan to leave Porto on 12 September keeping to the coast as long as possible. I'm alone and not fast but happy for company
I'm leaving tomorrow the 11th from Matosinhos. Maybe I'll see you. -Cindy

€149,-
Hello all on the Portuguese paths! I hope everyone is enjoying their camino so far.
I started mine yesterday and in true Irish style, the raincoat had to come out! Beautiful coastline along Porto to Vila do Conde. Although I enjoyed it, I was never so have a shower and fall into bed last night.
I have to say the Portuguese people are so friendly and helpful. I am so happy I chose this route. Hope all are well and safe travels! Bom Camino
Eims

Hello all on the Portuguese paths! I hope everyone is enjoying their camino so far.
I started mine yesterday and in true Irish style, the raincoat had to come out! Beautiful coastline along Porto to Vila do Conde. Although I enjoyed it, I was never so have a shower and fall into bed last night.
I have to say the Portuguese people are so friendly and helpful. I am so happy I chose this route. Hope all are well and safe travels! Bom Camino
Eims
It is good to hear that you are under way. I guess coming from Ireland we are pretty used to the rain! I hope today will be dry? Either way, have a great day.
Tim

It is good to hear that you are under way. I guess coming from Ireland we are pretty used to the rain! I hope today will be dry? Either way, have a great day.
Tim
Thanks Tim. Thankfully today is much nicer!

€83,-
@Eims I hope to walk this route next year. I'd be interested to know when you choose to join the main portuguese route. Until then, slainte and bom caminho!

Hi Eims,
How was your second day ?

Enjoy

Kasia

€83,-
Came back yesterday from the Camino Portuguese coastal route. Did about 280K and thought as I had had some great comments/tips from other travellers on this route, it might be of interest to others thinking about doing it, if I gave a few notes from my travels?
First of all I had no worries about being alone. From Porto to Caminha, although there are not many fellow walkers, there are certainly plenty of holiday makers. (might be quieter at out of season times?) From Caminha over in the Ferry the route gets a bit busier with people joining for the trek from A Guarda to Santiago. Then from the inland route which I joined at Redondela it is certainly busy with walkers.
It is as has been said before all boardwalk from Matinshos (I took the metro from Porto to there and started my walking there) all the way to Vila do Conde and when I was walking it were very busy with holiday makers and people on bikes! There are restaurants/cafes/toilets every km! It is just lovely walking but didn't feel initially like a Camino in the traditional sense (if there is such a thing!), but I love being by the ocean so for me it was grand. The signs going into Vila do Conde I found not great but the Albergues were well signposted.
By the way I have no comments on the Albergues as I didn't stay in them but from other pilgrims I heard that they were great ( apart from one which was lacking ventilation - Pontevedra??) and not busy.
It looks as though they are building more and more new boardwalks from Povoa de Varzim (so new they are not mentioned as the route in JB's book).
Signage from PDV quite good, yellow arrows and shells quite frequently.
From Esponsende to Viano do Castelo was initially good but I somehow lost the route and ended up walking the N3! However when I did find the right route the signage was good.
Viano to Ancora, it had been said by others that this stage was not well signposted and it's not. But if you just walk as close to the coast it's okay, it just dips in and out a bit through forest paths, then a bit of main road, then back along beaches. However the N13 walking is not too pleasant as everything on wheels passing seems to be going at 100mph! There is a train station at Ancora for the last 7k to Caminha if you have had enough!
I was in Caminha on a Sunday and got the Ferry over to A Gaurda - it was running every hour and the hotel I stayed at the night before had the ferry running times for that week as it can change each week depending on the tides. Someone on the forum has already given a web link to checking out the low/high tide times?
A Guarda to Oia is well signposted through the town and from the Albergue. There is some walking on the PO552 (?) but at least there is a wide cycle path to walk on. There is a great Tourist info place in Oia open from 12pm to 5pm.
Oia to Baiona is well singposted and along the coast to Mougas, I heard from people that the Albergue here is lovely and clean.
Then for me it started to get a bit harder as I journeyed from Baiona to Vigo - it was a long journey of many parts! From Baiona simply follow the coastal road following a lovely conservation area to Ramollosa. Once in the town it is well signposted. It's only when you get to a blue bridge ( the climb from Camino de Cabreira) crossing the motorway that things get silly! From this point on there are "alternative" signs that will take you in the wrong direction and can add many km to your journey, even before the motorway blue bridge (WHICH YOU MUST TAKE) there is a sign to divert you left. Some people have thought is a bit of a game to add false signage and I found it difficult to find my way past the industrial estate because of this. I personally found the long walk into Vigo itself a bit of a slog but I could have made a mistake!
My only personal thoughts about the part from Baiona to Vigo (and even on to Redondela) is had I known a bit more about the urban walking I MIGHT have reconsidered (however I hear that part of the inland route is similar?). I think it was just a bit of a long day!
Redondela to Santiago was relatively easy, busy with pilgrims and well marked, some lovely forest walks along the way and plenty of company.
All in all, a camino of different parts, and one which I loved (well maybe not Baiona to Vigo!). I found it safe, beautiful and if you love fresh fish, this is the walk to walk.
BTW I offered before I went a little book I had bought that gives a little bit of information on the 3 Portuguese caminos ( it is very general not detailed) - The Portuguese Way to Santiago. I am happy to post it to someone who intends doing the route, if you make a donation to the forum?

Thks LaineyLainey very much for the summary. It will be really helpful.
There are 6 of us starting off in Porto on Sunday 26. Actually 5 , since my wife hurt her knee so will be a support driver for us . Hopefully she can join in week 2.
We will probably take the Tram 1 along the coast from Porto and then start our Camino.

having walked from Le Puy to Roncevalles over two different years , we have enjoyed the French camino but were a little dismayed at the sheer numbers we saw starting the Spanish Way at St John PDP. Soo we decided to explore Portugal a little and get a bit of walking in.

So if anyone sees 4 males and 1 - occasionally 2- females walking along please come and say hello. Multicultural group from Australia, France and the U.S . We are fortuntate to have amongst us a Brazilian born Aussie , so language issues are a lot easier.

There are 6 of us starting off in Porto on Sunday 26. Actually 5 , since my wife hurt her knee so will be a support driver for us . Hopefully she can join in week 2.
We will probably take the Tram 1 along the coast from Porto and then start our Camino.

having walked from Le Puy to Roncevalles over two different years , we have enjoyed the French camino but were a little dismayed at the sheer numbers we saw starting the Spanish Way at St John PDP. Soo we decided to explore Portugal a little and get a bit of walking in.

So if anyone sees 4 males and 1 - occasionally 2- females walking along please come and say hello. Multicultural group from Australia, France and the U.S . We are fortuntate to have amongst us a Brazilian born Aussie , so language issues are a lot easier.

You will love it! And speaking Portuguese and/or Spanish I think is an advantage - Bom/Buen Caminho/Camino!

Came back yesterday from the Camino Portuguese coastal route. Did about 280K and thought as I had had some great comments/tips from other travellers on this route, it might be of interest to others thinking about doing it, if I gave a few notes from my travels?
First of all I had no worries about being alone. From Porto to Caminha, although there are not many fellow walkers, there are certainly plenty of holiday makers. (might be quieter at out of season times?) From Caminha over in the Ferry the route gets a bit busier with people joining for the trek from A Guarda to Santiago. Then from the inland route which I joined at Redondela it is certainly busy with walkers.
It is as has been said before all boardwalk from Matinshos (I took the metro from Porto to there and started my walking there) all the way to Vila do Conde and when I was walking it were very busy with holiday makers and people on bikes! There are restaurants/cafes/toilets every km! It is just lovely walking but didn't feel initially like a Camino in the traditional sense (if there is such a thing!), but I love being by the ocean so for me it was grand. The signs going into Vila do Conde I found not great but the Albergues were well signposted.
By the way I have no comments on the Albergues as I didn't stay in them but from other pilgrims I heard that they were great ( apart from one which was lacking ventilation - Pontevedra??) and not busy.
It looks as though they are building more and more new boardwalks from Povoa de Varzim (so new they are not mentioned as the route in JB's book).
Signage from PDV quite good, yellow arrows and shells quite frequently.
From Esponsende to Viano do Castelo was initially good but I somehow lost the route and ended up walking the N3! However when I did find the right route the signage was good.
Viano to Ancora, it had been said by others that this stage was not well signposted and it's not. But if you just walk as close to the coast it's okay, it just dips in and out a bit through forest paths, then a bit of main road, then back along beaches. However the N13 walking is not too pleasant as everything on wheels passing seems to be going at 100mph! There is a train station at Ancora for the last 7k to Caminha if you have had enough!
I was in Caminha on a Sunday and got the Ferry over to A Gaurda - it was running every hour and the hotel I stayed at the night before had the ferry running times for that week as it can change each week depending on the tides. Someone on the forum has already given a web link to checking out the low/high tide times?
A Guarda to Oia is well signposted through the town and from the Albergue. There is some walking on the PO552 (?) but at least there is a wide cycle path to walk on. There is a great Tourist info place in Oia open from 12pm to 5pm.
Oia to Baiona is well singposted and along the coast to Mougas, I heard from people that the Albergue here is lovely and clean.
Then for me it started to get a bit harder as I journeyed from Baiona to Vigo - it was a long journey of many parts! From Baiona simply follow the coastal road following a lovely conservation area to Ramollosa. Once in the town it is well signposted. It's only when you get to a blue bridge ( the climb from Camino de Cabreira) crossing the motorway that things get silly! From this point on there are "alternative" signs that will take you in the wrong direction and can add many km to your journey, even before the motorway blue bridge (WHICH YOU MUST TAKE) there is a sign to divert you left. Some people have thought is a bit of a game to add false signage and I found it difficult to find my way past the industrial estate because of this. I personally found the long walk into Vigo itself a bit of a slog but I could have made a mistake!
My only personal thoughts about the part from Baiona to Vigo (and even on to Redondela) is had I known a bit more about the urban walking I MIGHT have reconsidered (however I hear that part of the inland route is similar?). I think it was just a bit of a long day!
Redondela to Santiago was relatively easy, busy with pilgrims and well marked, some lovely forest walks along the way and plenty of company.
All in all, a camino of different parts, and one which I loved (well maybe not Baiona to Vigo!). I found it safe, beautiful and if you love fresh fish, this is the walk to walk.
BTW I offered before I went a little book I had bought that gives a little bit of information on the 3 Portuguese caminos ( it is very general not detailed) - The Portuguese Way to Santiago. I am happy to post it to someone who intends doing the route, if you make a donation to the forum?

Congrats Elaine, I'm glad you enjoyed your walk. I arrived myself in Santiago yesterday and am still here soaking it all up.

I completely agree with all you said about the walk. I loved staying by the coast and truly loved it all. I agree, I too found the route from Baiona to Vigo tough - simply navigating my way. Luckily I met a wonderful girl in Ramollosa who was a force of energy and helped make a tough stage a great one! I also found some stages had stops that appeared to be beach cafes. For those going in October onwards, these may only be open while the weather is moderately ok? I'm not too sure.
I have enjoyed walking solo all through the trip but the hardest part for me has been here in Santiago. It surprisingly has hit me hard not having anyone to share it... something I did not feel I needed or expected at all!! I met some lovely people along the way but our arrivals were not in sync yesterday. I'm not sure if anyone else found this the same for them?

I would advise people arriving into Santiago to ensure you take a break before going to get your compostela. The queues can be lengthy. I went there shortly after arriving from Padron and queued for an hour without much movement. I then had to leave as I became abit light-headed. Today I returned at 6pm and it only took an hour to receive it. Otherwise maybe go first thing in the morning as they open at 8am.

I wish those going onto the Portuguese coastal all the best. It is beautiful and the people in both Portugal and Spain are extremely friendly and helpful. (I too stayed in Casa Puertas in Oia and loved it. The owners are extremely lovely)

As for me, I'm continuing my camino onto Fisterra/Muxia tomorrow. Totally unexpected and unplanned but three days ago I changed my flights. I feel my walk is not quite done yet.

Hi Eims,
How was your second day ?

Enjoy

Kasia
Apologies Kasia for not replying sooner.
I've just posted a response to Elaines feedback. But to summise, I loved it. The sights, the smells, the challenges & broadening my own outlook on things. I was a total rookie doing this walk and learned so much! Do it if you feel a longing... for me its an itch that needs to be scratched! :)

Congrats Elaine, I'm glad you enjoyed your walk. I arrived myself in Santiago yesterday and am still here soaking it all up.

I completely agree with all you said about the walk. I loved staying by the coast and truly loved it all. I agree, I too found the route from Baiona to Vigo tough - simply navigating my way. Luckily I met a wonderful girl in Ramollosa who was a force of energy and helped make a tough stage a great one! I also found some stages had stops that appeared to be beach cafes. For those going in October onwards, these may only be open while the weather is moderately ok? I'm not too sure.
I have enjoyed walking solo all through the trip but the hardest part for me has been here in Santiago. It surprisingly has hit me hard not having anyone to share it... something I did not feel I needed or expected at all!! I met some lovely people along the way but our arrivals were not in sync yesterday. I'm not sure if anyone else found this the same for them?

I would advise people arriving into Santiago to ensure you take a break before going to get your compostela. The queues can be lengthy. I went there shortly after arriving from Padron and queued for an hour without much movement. I then had to leave as I became abit light-headed. Today I returned at 6pm and it only took an hour to receive it. Otherwise maybe go first thing in the morning as they open at 8am.

I wish those going onto the Portuguese coastal all the best. It is beautiful and the people in both Portugal and Spain are extremely friendly and helpful. (I too stayed in Casa Puertas in Oia and loved it. The owners are extremely lovely)

As for me, I'm continuing my camino onto Fisterra/Muxia tomorrow. Totally unexpected and unplanned but three days ago I changed my flights. I feel my walk is not quite done yet.
Hope you enjoyed Finisterre and Muxia.
Elaine

Thank you for the information. We walked Lisbon to Santiago in May and returning to Porto next week on the 4th to do the coastal path. I feel reassured knowing there's going to be signs.

I’m planning the costal route for September but I have not purchased airline tickets yet. Maybe we will meet along the way! 😃

Hi Folks,

Buen Camino
So do you go left or right? 😯

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back