• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Rome to Jerusalem, a 5000-km pilgrimage

Mony Dojeiji

Pilgrim. Rome to Jerusalem.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello pilgrims!

While walking the Camino frances, I learned that it was called the Way of the Sword. It's the place where you battle your fears and face your demons. I also learned that there are two other important pilgrimage routes: one leads to Rome, and is called the Way of the Heart. It is the way of Love, but not human love, but Divine Love (whatever the term means to you).

The other path is called the Way of the Soul, and it leads to Jerusalem. This was the path that most called to me, and so I decided to start in Rome (destination of the Way of the Heart) and walk to Jerusalem. I chose to do this walk for peace. Walking was my response to the events of 9/11. A Spanish pilgrim joined me, and together, we walked through 13 countries and it took us 13 months to arrive.

Our message was simple: to change the world, you must have the courage to change yourself. To have peace, you must be peace. Our walk became the laboratory for trying to be this peace that we wish to have in the world.

We have posted maps of our walk, for those of you who are interested in pursuing such a pilgrimage. There's plenty of information on this forum on preparing for the physcial aspects of the journey, but we offer tips for preparing for the "inner journey" that you may find helpful.

Our maps are located at: http://walkingforpeace.com/the-walk-to- ... route.html

Tips for the inner way are located at: http://walkingforpeace.com/the-walk-to- ... erway.html.

Buen camino!
Mony Dojeiji

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2005 I was researching info on the Via Francigena and came across your incredible story. I remember reading an interview with you about 7 years ago all about your walk and about Alberto Agraso joining you later in the walk from Rome. Then I bought Sue Kenney's dvd 'Las Peregrinas' and was delighted to find that you were one of the peregrinas in the documentary.
Everyone should read your story - it is very inspirational.
un abrazo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our walk became the laboratory for trying to be this peace that we wish to have in the world.
That is a lot of kilometers. Has the laboratory produced some results that you can share with us?

Indeed they have falcon269! :lol:

I guess if I had to summarize it, I would have to say:

- Follow your dreams and your passions. Do not be dissuaded by other peoples' opinions of what's right for you. Only you know what that is. With the best of intentions and out of love for you, others may try to talk you out of following that dream, giving you the reasons for why you shouldn't, reminding you of the dangers, foolishness or irresponsibility of your decision... but your heart already knows the truth. It knows the way. Trust in that, and allow that to be your guide.

- The single greatest obstacle that you will face will be your fear(s) - only you know what they are. And pilgrimage is a wonderful way to face them and heal them. My fears walked alongside me the entire way, revealing themselves in the people and experiences that some would label "difficult" or "unpleasant". Although I didn't always appreciate their gift in the moment, I later came to see the valuble lesson they offered in helping me overcome certain judgments and fears that I held, so that I could make more room for peace to flourish.

- The world is a good place filled with good people and kindnesses at every turn. If you walk with an open mind, and an even more open heart, you will have these kindnesses multiplied upon you. If you believe that the world is a dangerous place, then that will be your experience. If you believe in the inherent goodness in people, and that they are there to help you not only in your physical journey, but your emotional, psychological and spiritual journey, then that will be your experience.

- Peace is not about what is happening "out there". It is not about politics, ideologies, conspiracy theories... it is about creating peace within your own heart. It is about BEING peace so that you can offer that to the world in every word, act or thought that you put forward. All the great sages throughout time have taught the same thing: Peace begins within.

- You never walk alone. Whatever your spiritual beliefs, you are surrounded and led by a hand of Love that guides you and protects you on your journey. I have seen that Love manifested in some of my darkest hours. Paolo Coelho said it best in The Alchemist: "when you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." When you are following your dreams, living from the heart, all that you need does indeed come to you.

I hope this has helped in some small measure, and given you a flavour for some of the lessons learned on my "laboratory" of a walk. :)

Buen camino!
Mony

Mony, this is wonderful, do you have a Steiner background?

But isn't this everyday aswell:

"Follow your dreams and your passions. Do not be dissuaded by other peoples' opinions of what's right for you. Only you know what that is. With the best of intentions and out of love for you, others may try to talk you out of following that dream, giving you the reasons for why you shouldn't, reminding you of the dangers, foolishness or irresponsibility of your decision... but your heart already knows the truth. It knows the way. Trust in that, and allow that to be your guide"

Thank you Mony.

David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello David,

Thank you for your note! I am familiar with some of the work of Rudolf Steiner, especially around education. We almost put our daughter into a Waldorf school! :)

I agree that following your dream is an "everyday" thing. But how many people do it? I added that first because, in my case, I had so many friends and family try to talk me out of my walk. They were afraid for me, and couldn't believe I would leave the security of the life that defined me to go into the unknown.. and for something which, to them, seemed so unattainable and futile. It takes courage to follow the heart because the resistance to remain "safe" in the fold is so strong.

But I think that is ultimately the journey that we are all on. To find that auhtentic sense of self, that which makes us truly unique (and I do believe we each have a unique gift), and to offer that to the world as an expression of that authentic self.

Buen camino!
Mony

Mony Dojeiji said:
Thank you for your note! I am familiar with some of the work of Rudolf Steiner, especially around education. We almost put our daughter into a Waldorf school! :)
Mony,
Crickey that must have been a hard decision! Yes my partner is a Steiner Teacher, never herd of Steiner until I met her,

I find it quite easy to accept, appreciate ......sometimes I think they make life too easy for the children. 'Treat them too special'

They have a lovely school now.......

Thank you

David

Hi David,

I can understand why it's not for everyone. In our case, we especially loved that they teach children "how" to think, not merely what to think. Also, that they introduce them to their spirituality but from a more logical point of view. The schools are usually quite lovely with a good feeling...

There were many positive aspects, but sadly, we couldn't make it happen. Still have a great deal of respect for the teaching and the school.

All my best!
Mony

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for your contribution Mony and I look forward to reading your book (can you do anything about the high postage to Europe :) ?).

Reading about your journey brings to my mind one person: The Peace Pilgrim http://www.peacepilgrim.com/index.htm. It is not so much the miles that she walked that is inspiring but her message...much like yours. This exerpt is taken from the website made by the Friends of the Peace Pilgrim: "From 1953 to 1981 a silver haired woman calling herself only "Peace Pilgrim" walked more than 25,000 miles on a personal pilgrimage for peace. She vowed to "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food." In the course of her 28 year pilgrimage she touched the hearts, minds, and lives of thousands of individuals all across North America. Her message was both simple and profound. It continues to inspire people all over the world."

I have not looked at the site in quite some time but see that they post a 'quote of the month'. Thought that I might share the quote for May:
“In the final analysis you find spiritual truth through your own higher nature. Your higher nature is a drop in the ocean of God - and has access to the ocean. Sometimes your higher nature is awakened through the inspiration of beautiful surroundings or beautiful music, bringing you insights of truth. Sometimes you see the truth written or hear the truth spoken, and your higher nature confirms it. Or you directly perceive the truth from the inside through an awakening of the higher nature, which is my way. All the inspired writing came from the inner source, and you too can receive from that source. Be still and know."

Peace Pilgrim: Her Live and Works In Her Own Words – Pg. 145

Cheers,
LT

Thank you for your kind words, LT, and the quote from Peace Pilgrim. I carried her small booklet "Steps Toward Inner Peace" with me on that walk, and found much inspiration there, especially during the difficult moments. As incredible as her journey was, as you say, it was her message that most captivated me too.

I'm sorry I can't do anything about postage :-( Have you tried http://amazon.co.uk? Or amazon.de? They carry it there as well, so maybe shipping is better?

Buen camino!
Mony

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"when you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
Isn't that the problem? Me getting what I want? How peaceful the world would be if only everyone were just like me. Has there ever been a despot or sociopath that did not think that way?

We have over 7 billion worlds around us right here on Earth. It is impossible that two of them would be the same, much less all would be the same. An objective of religion is to reach an agreement that will create an illusion that there is an objective reality, or at least an agreed-to reality. How can that illusion unify us if it is "me oriented," as in the universe conspiring to get me get what I want? And if my want conflicts with someone else's want, how will the universe decide the outcome? I see a formula for war there, not universal peace. The Rajneeshpuram had how many Rolls Royce when it imploded? I presume that the universe conspired to deliver them all to Bagrahm Rajneesh because the wanted them.

Take no notice of Falcon - he often plays Devil's Advocate, but he is a softy at heart!!

Comparing wanting peace with Rolls Royce - what next!! Sounds like something from the presumptive prayer days of Cope and Hagen!!

Log onto TUT for a daily inspirational note from the Universe and you'll see that Mony is right.
http://tut.com/Inspiration/nftu

"It is the lack of money that is the root of all evil," Rev. Ike used to say. "The best thing you can do for the poor is not to be one of them." Decades ahead of Oprah and the author of "The Secret" in the mainstreaming of greed as a middle-class virtue, Rev. Ike's theology was indistinguishable from the fever dream of the most unrepentant capitalist: "Forget about the pie-in-the-sky; get yours here and now."
Salvation can be so lucrative for those who have the answer, or even write a book. :wink: :mrgreen:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sillydoll, I love Mike Dooley! I get his daily Notes from the Universe, and here's today's:

"To clarify, the primary roles of LOVE are not to heal, fix, or mend. Not to soothe, cure, or ease. Not even to refresh, rejuvenate, or restore. Hardly.

The primary roles of LOVE are to "Yahoo!" "Yeehaa!" and "Whoohooo!"

Get your love on,
The Universe

You were born to love, no matter the cost, no matter what someone else said, and no matter how the past once played out."

And btw, thanks for your note. I was not at all offended... :wink:

Hi again falcon269,

Not saying that I have the answer or any answer... or that anyone needs salvation.

You are free to believe what you choose... :)

With love,
Mony

Oooh, Falcon! That is mean! :evil:
When the book becomes lucrative I'll let you know - might meet you in Santiago one day and buy you a beer on my new-found wealth!! :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ask Priscillian about the wealth that comes from publishing. :D

My formula:
First, you need to convince people that salvation exists, that you can be a miserable human being in this life, but will be given a second chance to reform in another.

Second, you convince people that you have the answer to acquiring that salvation.

Lastly, you reach into their wallets.

Very lucrative!

I propose that each of us do our best in this life, then we won’t need salvation to try again.

That one is free. You must buy my book to get more …

The following message is from my husband and walking partner Alberto who has just come across this thread.

"Thank you everyone for all your loving words. I also very much appreciate them.

To Falcon, I would only like to say one thing: Although I understand that you are trying to be funny with your comments, I found them more sad than funny because they reflect such lack of faith and hope in humanity. That, above all else, is what we are trying to bring to the world; and not merely through a book, but in how we interact with the world on a day-by-day, moment-by-moment basis. That's the greater challenge. It's easy to fall into a dark vision of humanity, and so much more effort to see its beauty... to me, that is the work and the journey.

My greatest wish is that you once again see that light that resides in the heart of each and every one of us. Beginning with your own. I have no doubt that it is there.

With much love and light.
Sincerely,
Alberto"

I completed the Camino de Frances a little over a month ago, whilst I loved all the people I walked with I feel that I have not found my inner self and I think I am going to put myself through a little more to do this and I think I may just have found the solution

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello boramoya,

The "inner journey" never ends, as I'm sure you know. If you are interested in walking to Jerusalem, there are now wonderful online resources and Facebook communities to help you prepare for such a pilgrimage.

In Facebook, there's the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Jerusalem, made up mostly of pilgrims who have walked from various points throughout Europe to Jerusalem. They're a great source of information. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Confrat ... Jerusalem/.

And although it's still being built, the Confraternity's website is also a good tool https://sites.google.com/site/pilgrimstojerusalem/.

All the best in your continuing quest for Self. :)
Mony

Indeed they have falcon269! :lol:

I guess if I had to summarize it, I would have to say:

- Follow your dreams and your passions. Do not be dissuaded by other peoples' opinions of what's right for you. Only you know what that is. With the best of intentions and out of love for you, others may try to talk you out of following that dream, giving you the reasons for why you shouldn't, reminding you of the dangers, foolishness or irresponsibility of your decision... but your heart already knows the truth. It knows the way. Trust in that, and allow that to be your guide.

- The single greatest obstacle that you will face will be your fear(s) - only you know what they are. And pilgrimage is a wonderful way to face them and heal them. My fears walked alongside me the entire way, revealing themselves in the people and experiences that some would label "difficult" or "unpleasant". Although I didn't always appreciate their gift in the moment, I later came to see the valuble lesson they offered in helping me overcome certain judgments and fears that I held, so that I could make more room for peace to flourish.

- The world is a good place filled with good people and kindnesses at every turn. If you walk with an open mind, and an even more open heart, you will have these kindnesses multiplied upon you. If you believe that the world is a dangerous place, then that will be your experience. If you believe in the inherent goodness in people, and that they are there to help you not only in your physical journey, but your emotional, psychological and spiritual journey, then that will be your experience.

- Peace is not about what is happening "out there". It is not about politics, ideologies, conspiracy theories... it is about creating peace within your own heart. It is about BEING peace so that you can offer that to the world in every word, act or thought that you put forward. All the great sages throughout time have taught the same thing: Peace begins within.

- You never walk alone. Whatever your spiritual beliefs, you are surrounded and led by a hand of Love that guides you and protects you on your journey. I have seen that Love manifested in some of my darkest hours. Paolo Coelho said it best in The Alchemist: "when you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." When you are following your dreams, living from the heart, all that you need does indeed come to you.

I hope this has helped in some small measure, and given you a flavour for some of the lessons learned on my "laboratory" of a walk. :)

Buen camino!
Mony
You can't imagine how you just turned on the light in my mind. Thank you with all my heart and soul. Kindly, Charlene

[I tried to get the maos, but it came up errorQUOTE="Mony Dojeiji, post: 94416, member: 16606"]Hello pilgrims!

While walking the Camino frances, I learned that it was called the Way of the Sword. It's the place where you battle your fears and face your demons. I also learned that there are two other important pilgrimage routes: one leads to Rome, and is called the Way of the Heart. It is the way of Love, but not human love, but Divine Love (whatever the term means to you).

The other path is called the Way of the Soul, and it leads to Jerusalem. This was the path that most called to me, and so I decided to start in Rome (destination of the Way of the Heart) and walk to Jerusalem. I chose to do this walk for peace. Walking was my response to the events of 9/11. A Spanish pilgrim joined me, and together, we walked through 13 countries and it took us 13 months to arrive.

Our message was simple: to change the world, you must have the courage to change yourself. To have peace, you must be peace. Our walk became the laboratory for trying to be this peace that we wish to have in the world.

We have posted maps of our walk, for those of you who are interested in pursuing such a pilgrimage. There's plenty of information on this forum on preparing for the physcial aspects of the journey, but we offer tips for preparing for the "inner journey" that you may find helpful.

Our maps are located at: http://walkingforpeace.com/the-walk-to- ... route.html

Tips for the inner way are located at: http://walkingforpeace.com/the-walk-to- ... erway.html.

Buen camino!
Mony Dojeiji[/QUOTE]

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back