• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Santiago to Fatima 2017

Bluewren

Keep walking and honoring mother Earth
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, start Lourdes 11 september 2013.
Camino Santiago Fatima, 2017
In september 2013 I received my first stamp at Lourdes in my compostela book. The lovely Nun who stamped my compostella asked me if I would all so go to Fatima..... To not disappoint her I nodded in agreement. Yes Fatima. She was so happy. I must say that my french is limited and I was actually quite clueless about Fatima. In november I reached Santiago vaguely realising I was not finished yet. This year I heard the wonderful story about Fatima and 2017 will be 100 years ago. It is time to start preparing my Camino and finish the last promised traject. I fully understand that it will be against the grain of the route. But the pilgrimage will be reaching Fatima. I like to arrive before the 13 may or 13 june. I like to hear if you have tips or experiences.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will be one of a million who will be there at that time in May. Hard to find any place to sleep .very crowded.
To find your way from Santiago it is easy. Just follow the blue waymarkers which point to Fátima , also from the north.

Thanks Albertinho for you're reply, one of a million..... mmm. I need to bring my own shelter or really rough it. Would this be for all the days the lady appeared?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Bluewren. There is a facebook group on pilgrims to Fatima: Associacao de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fatima. We walked the Portuguese Camino from Lisboa but detoured to Fatima so went the opposite way to the way you will be walking.

In september 2013 I received my first stamp at Lourdes in my compostela book. The lovely Nun who stamped my compostella asked me if I would all so go to Fatima..... To not disappoint her I nodded in agreement. Yes Fatima. She was so happy. I must say that my french is limited and I was actually quite clueless about Fatima. In november I reached Santiago vaguely realising I was not finished yet. This year I heard the wonderful story about Fatima and 2017 will be 100 years ago. It is time to start preparing my Camino and finish the last promised traject. I fully understand that it will be against the grain of the route. But the pilgrimage will be reaching Fatima. I like to arrive before the 13 may or 13 june. I like to hear if you have tips or experiences.

If not a million pilgrims will be about 600,000, of which at least 300,000 will walk on pilgrimage to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the apparition, many pilgrims go because of the visit of Pope Francis to the sanctuary.
For the month of May 2017 there are no more accommodation.
Why do not choose another month (September or October) in the month of August is also possible, but there are many Portuguese immigrants in pilgrimage.
AMSimoes

Thanks Albertinho for you're reply, one of a million..... mmm. I need to bring my own shelter or really rough it. Would this be for all the days the lady appeared?
See Aurélio's ((@amsimoes) comment above.he is Portuguese and has more knowledge about Fátima.

I have been there once walking the caminho from Lisbon in May 2013 and we were closeby somewhere between Santarèm and Tomar and the (main) roads were packed with peregrinos to Fátima, dressed up in yellow safetyvests, sportshoes and daypacks. They choose the shortest way so if there is a national road, no bother ,they walk alongside the national road . Blue waymarkers or not. ... Sometimes there happen terrible accidents, peregrinos killed by fast driving cars.
Later on we watched the television at a local bar and saw at least as Aurélio quoted, hundreds of thousands of people all together on the main square in front of the sanctuary.. an impressive view but we were glad not being among them. I do not like big crowds. It terrifies me.
A year later,2014 , we were in Fátima and saw the inmense square in front of the sanctuary which is BIG .....but this time it was , God gracious, allmost empty.

This year we drove from Lisbon -where we a.o. met Aurélio and his lovely wife Rita- to Figueira da Foz at the coast and past Fátima on the motorway, queing up because there were many cars heading for Fátima.

I should advise to choose another moment to visit if you do not like those crowds but it is up to you.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Olá, as Aurélio and Albertinho wrote, it´s nearly impossible to get accommodation in May. Well you can try it at Casa do Verbo Divino, about 10 min to walk to the sanctuary. It´s run by the Steyler missionaries. I often stayed there during past years. Here is the link:
http://www.casaverbodivino.pt/default.asp?id=p1p15p16&l=2
I doubt if a Casa do Verbo will have place in May in a Holy Year during the most important days if there hundreds of thousands of peregrinos come together.
Allready far before Fátima the hotels,hostals,guesthouses,AIRbnb 's are fully booked months and months before.
Maybe as an alternative try to book NOW the Santarém hostal in Santarém and travel by bus to Fátima by then.Going by train is not an alternative because the Fátima trainstation is far away from the place to be.
Maybe Mario of the Santarém hostal - @santaremhostel -who is a forum member here-can advice you how to get there. Or can advice you by booking a one day trip at a buscompany which organizes speciallly these one day trips from Santarém
But after all there will be a BIG BIG crowd and speaking for myself, I do not want to be there at that time.

Bom caminho

Okay, Thanks for all the replies. I have to rethink and do some soul-searching what I want from this trip. September and October... will be better. But still might attract a lot of people on the days of the apparition. I am not very fond of big crowds. I assume that the day pilgrims walk from Lisbon to Fatima. I arrive I think from the north site. I have to check the maps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, Thanks for all the replies. I have to rethink and do some soul-searching what I want from this trip. September and October... will be better. But still might attract a lot of people on the days of the apparition. I am not very fond of big crowds. I assume that the day pilgrims walk from Lisbon to Fatima. I arrive I think from the north site. I have to check the maps.

I regret to inform you, but most of the pilgrims are heading north to south.

Most of these pilgrims go by the national highway that is much faster (those who like to die under a truck).

The wise pilgrim follows the blue arrows by local roads or on land.

Hi.

But I recommend visiting Fatima on a twelve day of any month (from May to October). Even non believers.

or

AMSimoes

You know what ... how can I not go next year.... this is so heart touching even as a non catholic...this is bathing in pure love consciousness and connecting to source....what can happen in such a crowd ? I suppose walking the camino will bring me more challenge and fear. Thanks for these links. It makes it completely clear and I understand the Awe of the nun in Lourdes. Yep Fatima! on the 12th. I will not go in may.! I will decide in december on the month most likely sept or oct.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You know what ... how can I not go next year.... this is so heart touching even as a non catholic...this is bathing in pure love consciousness and connecting to source....what can happen in such a crowd ? I suppose walking the camino will bring me more challenge and fear. Thanks for these links. It makes it completely clear and I understand the Awe of the nun in Lourdes. Yep Fatima! on the 12th. I will not go in may.! I will decide in december on the month most likely sept or oct.
A wise decision imho !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back