• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking from SDC to muxia or fisterre?

Fergy

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk from SDC to Muxia then to Fisterre
Hi my wife and I are thinking of walking the above and was wondering (approx) how long it would take to walk as above? Any ideas and any tips please?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office, Rúa do Vilar, 30-32 has a useful free multi-language listing of all the current facilities in every village found along the camino to Finisterre and Muxia. This also provides telephone numbers and bus schedules. Their staff is friendly and most helpful.

This Gronze.com list in Spanish show much of the available accommodation along the Finisterre/Muxia routes. Booking.com links are also provided.
https://www.gronze.com/santiago-finisterre

Happy planning and Buen camino to you both!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thanks all for the responses - much appreciated. We were looking to go late May? not sure yet? would this be a good/bad time? or is time of year, irrelevant? Thanks

I'm currently in Dumbria while walking Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre. My stages have been
Santiago to Negreira
Negreira to Santa Mariña
Santa Mariña to Dumbria
Dumbría to Muxia

I haven't yet decided whether I will walk from Muxia in one day or two.

The weather has been perfect. About 70F/21C. Much nicer than when I walked to Finesterre last September.

Hi my wife and I are thinking of walking the above and was wondering (approx) how long it would take to walk as above? Any ideas and any tips please?
I walked from Santiago to Muxia the last week in May this year. I walked Santiago to Negreira, Negreira to Vilaserio, where I stopped because of torrential rains that had me soaked thru my Altus!, Vilaserio to Olvieroa, Olvieroa to Quintans, Quintans to Muxia. Aside from the storm that had some pilgrims opting for taxis, and some showers, the weather was warm and pleasant. I met only 4 pilgrims between Dumbria and Muxia, and the way was one of the most beautiful. I did not have enough time to go onto Finisterre and so had planned only going to Muxia at a leisurely pace and enjoying the special atmosphere that pervades there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't yet decided whether I will walk from Muxia in one day or two.

@trecile, Lires is lovely. Possibly the loveliest spot on that whole trail. A stroll out along the river bank, a glimpse of the amazing maelstrom that forms as the tide rolls, a relaxing drink at the little bar on the headland, shoals of Sea-Bass chasing the mullet fry in the shallows while the Sea Eagles swoop for there supper.......

I guess I'm suggesting taking two days ;) which will also give you time to follow the coast out to the light-house before walking down into Fisterra.

My brother and I walked from SDC to Muxia in 3 days, two of them were long. And we did stay in Lires on the way from Muxia to Finisterre -- I wouldn't miss that. It was lovely.

@trecile, Lires is lovely. Possibly the loveliest spot on that whole trail. A stroll out along the river bank, a glimpse of the amazing maelstrom that forms as the tide rolls, a relaxing drink at the little bar on the headland, shoals of Sea-Bass chasing the mullet fry in the shallows while the Sea Eagles swoop for there supper.......

I guess I'm suggesting taking two days ;) which will also give you time to follow the coast out to the light-house before walking down into Fisterra.

My brother and I walked from SDC to Muxia in 3 days, two of them were long. And we did stay in Lires on the way from Muxia to Finisterre -- I wouldn't miss that. It was lovely.

You two are really tempting me. Do you need to have a reservation in Lires ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You two are really tempting me. Do you need to have a reservation in Lires ?

We didn't in early June of 2016. It's not a long walk from Muxia (and we did get turned around getting out of Muxia and at another juncture along the way), we got there early, and I don't remember it being full. But who knows? Might be a good idea if it's really busy?

As Eiras has rooms and an Albergue with 10 (?) beds. There are Casas Rurals as well. No harm in giving them a call though I've never had trouble getting a bed. That said my experience on a couple of stretches of the Frances this year shook me out of my relaxed complacency.

I took five days to walk SDC-Muxia-Finisterre, doing the Muxia-Finisterre leg in one day. That last leg was quite a long day, and I would consider stopping at Lires were I to do this again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked Santiago to Finisterre
(I stayed in Corcubion in Casa Da Balea - loved it!)nd then across to Muxia and back to Santiago. I much preferred Muxia and the Santuario is a must see.
I agree with everyone about Lires. Check out Casa Raul. The day I walked to Lires from Finisterre it never stopped raining the whole journey. On arrival my hostess asked for all my wet clothes and boots and next morning came up with everything dry. They had dried it all in front of a wood stove and the stuff smelt beautiful (to me anyway!)
Loved that place.

I emailed Casa Raúl, and they were full. I have made a reservation at As Eiras.
Muxia was completely full today. In addition to the normal pergrinos and tourists, there is also a fiesta in town. I was at the xunta albergue well before their opening time, so I got a bed. It was completo fairly early in the afternoon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember that in 2014 when I came to Muxia I met Korean women which I have previously met in El Acebo (I was walking Madrid and Invierno and Frances in between) and she splurged on a roof terrace apartment in Bela Muxia Albergue for 50€ per night. She invited me for an evening drink up there and with the view from that terrace all I can say it's a bargain for a couple or even more people. The sunset can be compared to the one at Cabo Finisterre. I would surely try to find someone to share that on my next visit to Muxia.

I stayed there too in 2015 and I loved both the host and the place. Very modern and my room was on the roof so I had a great view.
In the morning I had
a choice of sellos. I choose a black cat.
I loved the place and Muxia!

Thinking about it, did the owner had a black cat called "Bella" , hence the name of the place?
This poem was on the wall of my room.

Attachments

• 20150916_132832.jpg
    20150916_132832.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 2
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember that in 2014 when I came to Muxia I met Korean women which I have previously met in El Acebo (I was walking Madrid and Invierno and Frances in between) and she splurged on a roof terrace apartment in Bela Muxia Albergue for 50€ per night. She invited me for an evening drink up there and with the view from that terrace all I can say it's a bargain for a couple or even more people. The sunset can be compared to the one at Cabo Finisterre. I would surely try to find someone to share that on my next visit to Muxia.

Hi, K1, I think anyone that is inside the albergue has access to that roof terrace (at least, I went up there though I was in the albergue part). You are right that the sunset is beautiful from that point. I have also seen it from the rocks, though, and that is my favorite viewing point.

I haven't see the sunset from the rocks. Yet. I guess I'm always leaving something for the next time ;)

Might be so about the roof terrace but when Korean lady was there nobody came up so she had told me. I believe the owners don't really advertise it to the albergue part people.

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.