• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Seville in April

Kathryn Leong

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed the Camino Frances in 2012 starting from SJPdP and loved it so much I want to do another. Planning to do the Via de la Plata in April 2014.
Hello,
I am intending to walk the VdlP from Early April 2014 starting from Seville. I completed the Camino Frances in 2012 with a long time friend. It was a wonderful experience. I feel pretty confident about my fitness but believe it is bit tricky in the first stage and feel a bit anxious about that. I will probably need to use Ivar's postal service as I am staying on in Spain afterwards. this will be my first solo walk and so I am also wondering what technology to take this time. We took a phone and small camera last time and I kept a traditional diary-no charging necessary! How regular is wi-fi along the way? I was thinking I would take an IPad this time but I am in two minds; weight versus convenience. Also a phone is handy for gps, apps with routes and spanish dictionary etc. what do others think?
Melbourne walker kath

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
I am intending to walk the VdlP from Early April 2014 starting from Seville. I completed the Camino Frances in 2012 with a long time friend. It was a wonderful experience. I feel pretty confident about my fitness but believe it is bit tricky in the first stage and feel a bit anxious about that. I will probably need to use Ivar's postal service as I am staying on in Spain afterwards. this will be my first solo walk and so I am also wondering what technology to take this time. We took a phone and small camera last time and I kept a traditional diary-no charging necessary! How regular is wi-fi along the way? I was thinking I would take an IPad this time but I am in two minds; weight versus convenience. Also a phone is handy for gps, apps with routes and spanish dictionary etc. what do others think?
Melbourne walker kath
Hi, Kath. The first stage out of Sevilla is only 22km and dead flat, and once you're past Itálica it's a straight line. The only problem on the first stage might be a flooded arroyo, but there's usually a way round. I did it last autumn and took my iPhone (with the brilliant Eroski Camino app, and also Melanie Radzicki McManus's VDLP app, which has maps). That's really all you need. Albergues can usually give you accommodation + distance info sheets. I did also take a French guidebook, which had good maps, but once past Cáceres there are so many detours for construction work I would now just follow the arrows. Everything is well waymarked. Buen Camino!

I haven't walked the Frances, so I can't compare, but I've always found WiFi pretty regularly on the VDLP. I take my camera and cell phone while I walk, but I know some really like having an iPad along. As Sir John says, it's not that tricky in the beginning -- there are just one or two streams before Guillena that might be deep. If the one right before town is too flooded, you just stay on the left-hand side of the path (don't cross the stream), then hang a right when you hit Guillena and walk through town on the main road. Arrows will resume as you're exiting town. Guillena always makes a nice pit stop for water and other necessities anyway, plus many people spend the night there.

Melanie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took my iPhone and found wifi pretty much all the way to Caceres.
Haven't walked past there yet - am going May 1 - but I imagine the VDLP is well wired.

Hello,
Melbourne walker kath
Hi Kathryn, I walked the Via with my sister-in-law starting late April last year after having walked the Frances in 2011. The Via was like a stroll down a country lane compard to the Frances which seemed like a four lane highway at times. We took our phones and it was rare to not get a wifi connection along the way. I also live in Melbourne so if I can be of any help please let me know. Sue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hullo Smileymadd, Perhaps we can catch up when I return. I was concerned about taking a sleeping bag this time but have decided that it is a security to have it (660grams) along as well as the silk liner. I had no trouble with bed bugs on the CF when I walked but all the pictures of bites has alarmed me. I like the idea of the lavender and tea tree oils. Perhaps I will add them to my kit.

Hi Kath, have you already started walking?
I will be leaving Guillena on Sunday morning. Having walked from Cádiz to Seville over the last two weeks, I am wimping out and getting the train from Seville to Guillena to make up for lost time relaxing in Sevilla, enjoying the Semana Santa celebrations and too many tapas.
Also from Oz (Newcastle).

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back