• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela in September

RobinS007

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I have had the Camino on my bucket list for many years and finally decided it was time to do it. I'm very excited, a little scared, but mostly eager to be on the trail. I will start my pilgrimage on Sept 2 or 3 and would love to connect with anyone else starting then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have had the Camino on my bucket list for many years and finally decided it was time to do it. I'm very excited, a little scared, but mostly eager to be on the trail. I will start my pilgrimage on Sept 2 or 3 and would love to connect with anyone else starting then.
Robin, be assured that you will start making Camino friends from Day 1. There are a lot of great reasons to walk the Camino, but one of the very best is the human experience you will have along The Way. That is perhaps the one single reason why I‘ve been pulled back to the the Camino year after year. Your anticipation is quite normal. But be assured, most of us had the very same feelings that you’re experiencing. Friendships develop quite quickly and evolve over the course of your walk to Santiago and are a most rewarding part of the pilgrimage. Starting in early September will be a busy time. You’ll connect with others right away. Do you have some initial bed reservations for your first few days? Enjoy your Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Robin, be assured that you will start making Camino friends from Day 1. There are a lot of great reasons to walk the Camino, but one of the very best is the human experience you will have along The Way. That is perhaps the one single reason why I‘ve been pulled back to the the Camino year after year. Your anticipation is quite normal. But be assured, most of us had the very same feelings that you’re experiencing. Friendships develop quite quickly and evolve over the course of your walk to Santiago and are a most rewarding part of the pilgrimage. Starting in early September will be a busy time. You’ll connect with others right away. Do you have some initial bed reservations for your first few days? Enjoy your Camino!
Thank you for the reply. I officially feel that welcome Camino hospitality I have read so much about! I'm walking solo but anticipate meeting a lot of like-minded souls along the way. I'll be bringing my dad's hiking poles that he used just before he passed in 2020. Hoping he'll be with me in spirit.

I haven't made reservations yet but will do so now that I'm a month away. I've been reading the forum recommendations that one should make reservations for the first few days. I'm hoping to do the walk as cheaply as possible since I quit my job a few months ago and am in that transition phase that the Camino can bring clarity to.

I understand for the cheaper albergues it is first come first serve?

Thank you again for the welcome!

Thank you for the reply. I officially feel that welcome Camino hospitality I have read so much about! I'm walking solo but anticipate meeting a lot of like-minded souls along the way. I'll be bringing my dad's hiking poles that he used just before he passed in 2020. Hoping he'll be with me in spirit.

I haven't made reservations yet but will do so now that I'm a month away. I've been reading the forum recommendations that one should make reservations for the first few days. I'm hoping to do the walk as cheaply as possible since I quit my job a few months ago and am in that transition phase that the Camino can bring clarity to.

How wonderful to be carrying the spirit of your father along The Way with you. We walked our Camino Portuguese this past spring in honor of my wife’s father who also passed away in 2020. We added his name to our Compostelosvicarie pro.”

You are correct tha the municipal and donativos are less expensive and it’s on a first come, first served basis. No reservations taken! Due to being less expensive, most are first choices by many. Getting there early is a must, but that still doesn’t guarantee a bed. I do think you want to reserve a bed in an albergue in SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Larazoaña/Zuberi. By the time you reach Pamplona, you’ll be a veteran and have a good idea of what’s in front of you regarding crowds and albergue beds.

If you’re not familiar with it check out Gronze.com for places to stay along the CF. Some reservations can be made via Booking.com. For others, you’ll probably need to contact them directly by email as is the case for the Monestario in Roncesvalles. Now, is not too early to start making reservations for the first few days. Good luck.

How wonderful to be carrying the spirit of your father along The Way with you. We walked our Camino Portuguese this past spring in honor of my wife’s father who also passed away in 2020. We added his name to our Compostelosvicarie pro.”

You are correct tha the municipal and donativos are less expensive and it’s on a first come, first served basis. No reservations taken! Due to being less expensive, most are first choices by many. Getting there early is a must, but that still doesn’t guarantee a bed. I do think you want to reserve a bed in an albergue in SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Larazoaña/Zuberi. By the time you reach Pamplona, you’ll be a veteran and have a good idea of what’s in front of you regarding crowds and albergue beds.

If you’re not familiar with it check out Gronze.com for places to stay along the CF. Some reservations can be made via Booking.com. For others, you’ll probably need to contact them directly by email as is the case for the Monestario in Roncesvalles. Now, is not too early to start making reservations for the first few days. Good luck.
Wonderful advice!! Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, and all the same!
I plan to start Sept 14 or 15 from SJPDT. Hope we meet at some point!

As soon as you walk out the door walking up the hill you will have friends for life. As someone who walks on a budget I would recommend staying in municipal albergues and donativos as much as possible.
Gronze.com will be a great resource:
It will give you maps and distances and elevations. A good listing of albergues. Prices/kitchen facilities and reviews. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino are also helpful apps you can download for free. They also have albergue listings etc as well as gps that you can download.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As soon as you walk out the door walking up the hill you will have friends for life. As someone who walks on a budget I would recommend staying in municipal albergues and donativos as much as possible.
Gronze.com will be a great resource:
It will give you maps and distances and elevations. A good listing of albergues. Prices/kitchen facilities and reviews. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino are also helpful apps you can download for free. They also have albergue listings etc as well as gps that you can download.
Thank you!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back