• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking from Toledo to Zamora

erith long

Time of past OR future Camino
Camin0 Frances (2004, 2008), Camino Portugues (2010), Camino del Norte (2012) Via de la Plata planing April92014), CaminoiPortugues (2015.)
Hello fellow pilgrims,
has anybody walked or planing to walk the Camino de Levante ? I am planing to start around the 10 of April from Toledo, and would be nice to hear some advise. I have done my research using Mundicamino.com but probably somebody knows of another guide . As I have to be in Zamora on April 29 because I will be one of the Hospitaleras in the Zamora Albergue from May to 15 so I am giving myself enough time to walk without rushing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just the first bit, in 2015-16, so I'll be following you here. We're planning to continue from Higeruela some time, and Toledo seems like the next sensible place to break our walk...

Hi, @erith long,

There is a pretty good sized group of Levante alumni here on the forum. Just a few representative threds of how people staged it:

Toledo to Zamora is a great section of the Levante, because it includes the mountains before Ávila, which are really nice stages. If you start in Toledo and if you have time, you should walk “backwards” on the Levante from the center of Toledo to the spot along the river where the Levante enters Toledo. It is a glorious view of the city, about a half hour out I would say. You probably also know what a monumental city Toledo is, and how much you would enjoy being able to spend a couple of days there (and more importantly a night or two when the thousands and thousands of day trippers have left).

You will love this walk! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, @erith long,

There is a pretty good sized group of Levante alumni here on the forum. Just a few representative threds of how people staged it:

Toledo to Zamora is a great section of the Levante, because it includes the mountains before Ávila, which are really nice stages. If you start in Toledo and if you have time, you should walk “backwards” on the Levante from the center of Toledo to the spot along the river where the Levante enters Toledo. It is a glorious view of the city, about a half hour out I would say. You probably also know what a monumental city Toledo is, and how much you would enjoy being able to spend a couple of days there (and more importantly a night or two when the thousands and thousands of day trippers have left).

You will love this walk! Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you very much for your answer ,I just printed your notes from your 2013 blog, Gosh very long distances!!!! I am going alone so hopefully I will encounter some other pilgrim along the way

Thank you very much for your answer ,I just printed your notes from your 2013 blog, Gosh very long distances!!!! I am going alone so hopefully I will encounter some other pilgrim along the way

The numbers on this route are very small. In fact the reason I did such long distances was because I met two French pilgrims on day 3 or 4 (the first I had seen) and we got along well. I decided it was worth making the effort to keep up with them and I am glad I did, because we didn’t see any other pilgrims until we got to Zamora.

And another benefit was that that was the year I realized I love walking long distances!

Buen camino, Laurie

Due to some technical issues with my gear I skipped Toledo-Avila part (will include that in another combination of Caminos I plan to walk) @peregrina2000 is very fond of but after Avila the Levante isn't really tough, especially not this time of year, although the albergues are very basic or even just polideportivo style. If you want to stay in them I suggest calling in advance that the Ayuntamiento/local hospitalero/bar (wherever they keep the keys) would be prepared. But in most of the small towns you will be passing through there is some sort of private accommodation.

One more thing. Nuns in monestery in Toro don't offer beds anymore due to their age and small number. I was on parts of Levante last spring and learned this. Don't know if Mundicamino has that updated.

If you need any additional info just ask.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello. I walked it several years ago and was in touch with Laurie en route. Try to stay two nights in Avila. A great place and great food. I stayed a little ways out of town at the Youth Hostel rather than the riverside Albergue (only one night's stay allowed...) I also made up my own way before Toledo as there is a shortage of accommodation. I went a little way westwards and stayed in a 4 star hotel with horses... So that I could come in the right way to have the stunning view that Velasquez captured. You arrive next to the Parador where I treated myself to the excellent and reasonable menu del Dia. You get the fab view from the restaurant to boot. I stayed in the wondrous youth hostel (for two nights) which is on the other side of the river, across the footbridge and up towards the hospital. It has a magical view and I would highly recommend this if you want peace... Some of the pilgrim accommodation is basic to the extreme. There was always hot water though... I did get lost once, however, as the waymarking becomes very confused with the camino del sur/camino de la lana/don Quixote way etc. TAKE A COMPASS! All best!

Check my "live from the camino" thread. We did skip a couple of bits due to lack of time but it will give you some recent info.

...Some of the pilgrim accommodation is basic to the extreme. There was always hot water though... I did get lost once, however, as the waymarking becomes very confused with the camino del sur/camino de la lana/don Quixote way etc. TAKE A COMPASS! All best!
I can only second all of this!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello fellow pilgrims,
has anybody walked or planing to walk the Camino de Levante ? I am planing to start around the 10 of April from Toledo, and would be nice to hear some advise. I have done my research using Mundicamino.com but probably somebody knows of another guide . As I have to be in Zamora on April 29 because I will be one of the Hospitaleras in the Zamora Albergue from May to 15 so I am giving myself enough time to walk without rushing.
Hi Erith I'm starting out on 9th April from Albacete and should be in Zamora on 29th April. Maybe I'll send you at the Zamora Albergue. BuenCamino peregrina

Hi Erith I'm starting out on 9th April from Albacete and should be in Zamora on 29th April. Maybe I'll send you at the Zamora Albergue. BuenCamino peregrina
Wohh you will be walking long distances daily, too bad you are not starting in Toledo .
I will start as Hospitalera in Zamora May 1. so I am planing to arrive in Zamora 29, rest for 2 days before taking over my duties.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check my "live from the camino" thread. We did skip a couple of bits due to lack of time but it will give you some recent info.
read your blog, Really liked it, i think I will follow some (if not all) of your steps,
I am going alone, and checking the weather for next week I feel a bit aprehensive.... will see
maybe when \i arrive to Madrid i"ll change my route

Hello Erith!! I am walking from Toledo to Avila April 10th....let's keep in touch if you want a walking buddy or at the very least send out some tips on here!!

Wishing you a beautiful Camino

Chris

Hello Erith!! I am walking from Toledo to Avila April 10th....let's keep in touch if you want a walking buddy or at the very least send out some tips on here!!

Wishing you a beautiful Camino

Chris
Hi Chris: thanks for your offer. I am arriving Madrid Airport tomorrow morning.
and I am debating if I should spend the night in Madrid and bus to Toledo following morning or go to Toledo straight from Airport and find a place to sleep. in any case I won't start until the 11,
I have a long trip by train to Stanstead Airport , and wait till 4:30 to check in Ryanair ,
I am going to be knackered!!!!! but we can keep in touch and maybe I catch up with you
hopefully.
Buen camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Laurie
I am in Béjar and heading up to Zamora. Maybe I will finally catch up with you!

All best - Felipe Peregrino

ps Semana Santa has been great but some accommodation issues noted after Caceres due to numbers...

One more thing. Nuns in monestery in Toro don't offer beds anymore due to their age and small number. I was on parts of Levante last spring and learned this. Don't know if Mundicamino has that updated.
Dear fellow pilgrims, any ideas of an alternative low budget place to sleep in Toro?

Dear fellow pilgrims, any ideas of an alternative low budget place to sleep in Toro?
At the time we were there (exactly a year and four days ago) the cheapest and completely adequate was Pension Zamora. It's on Calle Mayor. If you walk from Sta.Maria La Mayor and past the Plaza Mayor you will soon see it on your left. It has bar downstairs. I think we paid 25€ for double bedroom but I'm not completely sure.

Toro is well known for excelent wine and has many bodegas so there are also many tourists. Weekends can be packed. Maybe check air b'n'b too. Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with Kinky that the Zamora is the place to go. You can also get a good basic, homemade meal that is way too much food no matter how far you walked.

And if you can figure out how to use the most complicated shower system I’ve ever seen, please report back. :)

That shower system is going to send you into outer space, use it at your own risk...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.