• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Tomar To Santiago - transport from Jaca to Toma

hitchen

We are intending to walk from Tomar to Santiagos starting in mid Sept. Our Portuguese is non existant at the moment and Spanish pretty terrible, French quite good - is it possible and about how long will it take? What about accom? how difficult is it? We have walked the Le Puy route, the Vezelay route, the Arles route and the camino Frances. How does it compare with these?
We will be arriving in Tomar - or other possible starting place from Jaca. Know there is a bus from Jaca to Madrid and from there ? train? Or would there be a better way?

Tricia :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My experience with Portuguese are that they are pretty good in English... in my trips to Portugal, I end up speaking English and not trying to make myself understood in Spanish or Galego/Portuguese.

In Portugal movies and TV shows are not dubbed, original language and with sub titles...

I don't think you should worry about the language. :)

Saludos,
Ivar

Hello

I walked from Lisbon to Santiago, via Tomar (dont miss the Templar Castle) last April, from Tomar it took me 19 Days.
Accomodation to Porto is small hotels or pensiones, from Porto to Santigo there are plenty of Albergues.
Walking is mostly on roads through beautifull countryside and small agricultural communities.
The route was well signed.
I do not speak any Portuguese and managed ok.

Enjoy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Did you keep a blog - or do you have a diary of the walk to share with a friend who will be starting in May?

Thank you so much for that reply - it really gave us the information we needed. Have been thinking we may start in Lisbon. How long did that take (and about how far do you walk each day). Is the route from from Lisbon to tomar interesting ?- from our reading I know I certainly dont want to miss Tomar. Would be very interested to read parts of you diary.
Tricia :lol:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back