• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Vitoria south

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
i am planning to walk from Vitoria to Santo Domingo or Logrono this Wednesday and wondering if anyone would recommend either way and how long is it? Also if you can point me to any specifics on stages and albergues?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There isn't, so far as I'm aware, a way marked route to Logrono from Vitoria though I'm sure it is walk-able . The Camino vasco goes to Santo Domingo via Haro or Burgos via Miranda de Ebro.

I've only walked via Haro; 70 km from Vitoria. 2-3days of very pleasant walking. We broke at Puebla de Arganzon (do phone ahead to the Albergue and take some food -sources in that charming place are erratically available) and at Haro ( cracking Municipal Albergue). The long flat walk to SD is an interesting introduction to the meseta.
www.gronze.com is, as ever, a valuable resource for logistics.

Actually there are two routes that overlapse from Irun to Estavillo:
- Via de Bayona: Bayonne - Burgos (I've walked this one in summer of 2016)
- Camino Vasco del Interior: Irun - Sto.Domingo de la Calzada.

I haven't heard for marked route to Logrono though.

If you will start in Vitoria/Gasteiz there is a albergue parrochial "de la Catedral" with pilgrim price for first night at 10€.
Next albergue is as mentioned in La Puebla de Arganzon (22,7km from albergue to albergue) which is donativo and has 22 beds.
Next day you have to choose after 6,6km at this spot:

IMG_6177.JPG

Left is for Sto.Domingo and right for Burgos.
If you choose right hand option my stages were:
- Miranda de Ebro - 18,9km (albergue "La Picota", 6€),
- Pancorbo - 17,1km (MUNI, 9€, a bit tricky working hours) - one of the nicest stages on all of my Caminos!!!,
- Briviesca - 23,6km (MUNI, 5€, in an apartment),
- Monasterio de Rodilla - 19,9km (MUNI, "Casa del Medico", 6€, by the motorway, no shop but restaurant 10 meters away),
- Burgos - approx.28km (phone & GPS died).

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks so much KinkyOne and Tincatinker for your quick replies. I have 3 days only so I will take th route to Santo Domingo. If you or anyone else has some other albergue tips and suggestions they would be appreciated.

If you want a rather vivid first-person account, read the first few chapters of "The Great Westward Walk," aka (in Spanish) "El Gran Caminante." The author walked from his home in Zumaia to Vittoria, and south to Santo Domingo, in 2008. He details the places along the way, and his own "Monkey Mind" experience.

Great walk I would love to do this part again..well marked. Between Salinillas de Buradon and Haro is a hill mentioned in some guides and the gradient up is OK. The view from the top is wonderful. We stayed at a place in Brinas .which is just before Haro...in an octagon shaped multistory hotel with good rates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The municipal albergue in Haro is great. A whole house, usually to yourself. Once when walking the CF I needed a break from all the people and did a little dog leg to Haro and had the first really good nights sleep in the albergue.

The municipal albergue in Haro is great. A whole house, usually to yourself. Once when walking the CF I needed a break from all the people and did a little dog leg to Haro and had the first really good nights sleep in the albergue.
Haha. I am writing you from that very Albergue. Having breakfast after a peaceful sleep and yes I was the only peregrino here. The walk from Puebla de Alganzon to Haro was one of the nicest and most beautiful walking days I’ve ever experienced in about 210 days on the Camino.

i am planning to walk from Vitoria to Santo Domingo or Logrono this Wednesday and wondering if anyone would recommend either way and how long is it? Also if you can point me to any specifics on stages and albergues?
Thanks
Don’t know but the original inner Basque Camino goes to Santo Domingo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually there are two routes that overlapse from Irun to Estavillo:
- Via de Bayona: Bayonne - Burgos (I've walked this one in summer of 2016)
- Camino Vasco del Interior: Irun - Sto.Domingo de la Calzada.

I haven't heard for marked route to Logrono though.

If you will start in Vitoria/Gasteiz there is a albergue parrochial "de la Catedral" with pilgrim price for first night at 10€.
Next albergue is as mentioned in La Puebla de Arganzon (22,7km from albergue to albergue) which is donativo and has 22 beds.
Next day you have to choose after 6,6km at this spot:

View attachment 36995

Left is for Sto.Domingo and right for Burgos.
If you choose right hand option my stages were:
- Miranda de Ebro - 18,9km (albergue "La Picota", 6€),
- Pancorbo - 17,1km (MUNI, 9€, a bit tricky working hours) - one of the nicest stages on all of my Caminos!!!,
- Briviesca - 23,6km (MUNI, 5€, in an apartment),
- Monasterio de Rodilla - 19,9km (MUNI, "Casa del Medico", 6€, by the motorway, no shop but restaurant 10 meters away),
- Burgos - approx.28km (phone & GPS died).

Buen Camino!
Kinky, does the route from Bayonne to Irun hug the coast and go through St. Jean de Luz?

Kinky, does the route from Bayonne to Irun hug the coast and go through St. Jean de Luz?
Not really. It touches it here and there but from SJdL to Irun is along the coast (so you can see the ocean) all the time. I stayed overnight in Ciboure which is actually just across the river from SJdL.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back