• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Zafra to Villafranca Question

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've been looking through my older VDLP blog posts and remember that I came to this sign and was puzzled.
In the blog, I say I was lucky and chose the correct way to go - left or right - but now I can't remember which that was!

Does anyone remember this?
Which way did you go?
IMG_4307.JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think this might be turn left to Villafranca, or right for the albergue La Almazara, which has opened again now. It is an approximate guess. Whereabouts is this sign?

I think this might be turn left to Villafranca, or right for the albergue La Almazara, which has opened again now. It is an approximate guess. Whereabouts is this sign?
Oh, wow, the albergue in Almazara has re-opened? Is the fancy restaurant there again too?

I never stayed there but it is a very nice peaceful place located in an old complex with ancient olive oil presses. I took a detour once just to see it and thought it looked very nice. Lots of open space and nice facilities. At that time a local restaurant in Villafranca had gotten the license and was opening a fancy-looking (at least if linen tablecloths and napkins are an indicator of fancy) restaurant there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, wow, the albergue in Almazara has re-opened? Is the fancy restaurant there again too?

I never stayed there but it is a very nice peaceful place located in an old complex with ancient olive oil presses. I took a detour once just to see it and thought it looked very nice. Lots of open space and nice facilities. At that time a local restaurant in Villafranca had gotten the license and was opening a fancy-looking (at least if linen tablecloths and napkins are an indicator of fancy) restaurant there.
Well, I know for sure it is open, I am not sure about the fancy restaurant

I do not remember that I saw that sign, when I walked that section last june. For me the waymarking was obvious.

But I saw a similar sign the day before, when approaching Zafra. I think, I took the path to the right then, which lead to the railway-station and the albergue of the local association.

It's right at the dead end of a road. You must either turn left or right. I THINK I remember turning left to go to Albergue Carmen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

indeed, it is open!

looking forward to having a chance to experience it first hand!

indeed, it is open!

looking forward to having a chance to experience it first hand!
Judging from the pictures, the fancy restaurant is no more. And I was also surprised that there were no pictures of the ancient olive press, though Gronze does describe the place as having the press and a small museum. But yes, it looks like a good place to stop!
https://www.gronze.com/extremadura/badajoz/almazara/albergue-turistico-almazara

The swimming pool is salt water, according to Gronze.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back