• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Guide -- Lisbon to Porto -- Any Takers?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, everyone,

I have been working with Johnnie Walker to extend the CSJ guide to the Caminho Portugues. I now have a complete draft of the Lisbon to Porto segment, based on my walk during Spring 2009. We will soon be posting it on the CSJ website, as part of their experiment with online guides, but I would love to have some "road testing" before posting it.

Is there anyone planning to walk from Lisbon to Porto in the near future? If so, would you be willing to test this guide and critique it for me? I especially could use some help with a couple of eucalyptus forests where the arrows disappeared.

Thanks, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Laurie,
We are walking this route, starting on 5th September. We would be quite happy to roadtest your notes for a guide.
Sharon

Hi, Sharon,
Thanks a lot, I hope it will help you through some of the rough spots. I will send you a PM shortly.

By the way, are you planning to use a printed guide? I think that the Brierley guide is the only one in English that covers Lisbon-Porto. I saw a few pages of it and it is pretty sketchy -- no detailed walking information. But the practical information is good.

Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Laurie,
Yes we have John Brierley's guide. I've downloaded the CSJ guide from Porto to Santiago as well. I have been reading your postings as we are keen to get as much info as possible on the Lisbon route. We are concerned about the length of some of the stages as we aren't as fit as we were when we walked the Camino Frances. However, I'm sure our fitness will improve as we go along.
Sharon

Sharon, I sent you a private, but have been unable to figure out how to add the Lisbon-Porto document to the attachment of a PM. I am also pretty sure I have asked for help on this before, but am unable to find the instructions. I will ask in another post and see if I can figure it out. But if you want to contact me directly so that I can send you a copy, you can email me at laurie.reynolds@gmail.com

Sorry about my technological ineptitude. Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Someone else might correct me on this, but I don't think there is a way to attach anything in a PM. (This feature is probably good protection against spammers sending nasty stuff via PM I would imagine....) I think if you want to send an attachment privately, you will need to ask for an e-mail address...
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Someone else might correct me on this, but I don't think there is a way to attach anything in a PM. (This feature is probably good protection against spammers sending nasty stuff via PM I would imagine....) I think if you want to send an attachment privately, you will need to ask for an e-mail address...
Margaret
This is correct. There is no way of attaching anything to a PM. Exchange e-mail addresses works! :)

Saluos,
Ivar

My partner and I hope to walk the Lisbon to Porto section in October. I would be very grateful for any updates and happy to "road test " your walking guide. Any advise welcom
Thank you, Maugie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great news! Thank you, Maugie and welcome to the forum. I am going to send you a PM (private message), which will show up at the top of your screen when you log in. I think Sharon is on her way in the next few days, so there may even be some updates before you get started!

Laurie

Hello to everyone who expressed interest in Laurie Reynolds' Guide to the Lisbon-Porto section of the Camimo Portugués. I'm very pleased to tell you that the completed guide is now available on the Confratenity of St James website - go to http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm and follow the instructions to download it either in .pdf format ready for printing and folding into an A5 booklet, or in Word A4 format for you to create your own version. In either case we'd appreciate a donation to the CSJ in return.

Any comments on the content of the guide, and feedback for future editions should go to Laurie; any difficulties with the use of the site shouold come to me, please.

Howard Nelson
CSJ Webmaster

Thank you so much ;-) I will report about our trip and how the map is funktions. Do you know if we can take the bus from Lisboa to Porto? And from were? Is it near or should we take us far aawy from the airport?. Thans once again that you answer my questions.
Sinserly Carina

sharon w said:
Hi Laurie,
Yes we have John Brierley's guide. I've downloaded the CSJ guide from Porto to Santiago as well. I have been reading your postings as we are keen to get as much info as possible on the Lisbon route. We are concerned about the length of some of the stages as we aren't as fit as we were when we walked the Camino Frances. However, I'm sure our fitness will improve as we go along.
Sharon

Hello Sharon!
From were have you downloaded the CSJ Guide about Porto to Santiago? I`going to valk from Porto to santiago 1 april 2010. I wonder if alberges is open at that time.
Hope you can get me an answer about that
Thank you Carina from Sweden in Sundsvall

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be walking from Lisboa Sept 2010 with two friends and would be glad to critique it for you. I am currently researching lodging and route information for our trip. Any help I can get would be appreciated. :)

Hi, frogeyed6,

I think that the guides online at the web address Johnnie and Howard indicate in this thread will get you well on your way with walking and accommodation information. I know that both Johnnie and I would greatly appreciate updates, he for the Porto-Santiago segment, and me for the Lisbon to Porto trip. There just aren't too many walkers between Lisbon and Porto, in fact I met NONE! Nor are there any albergues. Private accomodation options are plentiful enough, and generally reasonable, and the volunteer firefighters frequently offer floor space and a shower for a donation. The guide will give you all the details. The main thing that affects the "up to date-ness" of my description of the walk north of Lisbon is the fact of some road construction and inevitable re-routing, so I'm hoping to get reports back from the caminho next spring.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the first part of your trip. Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm planning to walk the Camino portugues from Lisbon to Oporto next July. I got the Brierly guide and the "El Pais Aguilar" guide in Spanish, I bought it in Santiago last summer. But I'd like to read yours, too! :D Where can I see it?

Thank you
Gianluca

Hi, Gianluca,
You can find the text here: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm (there are links to several online guides and instructions for printing, either as a booklet or as a word document). This is a service provided by the British Confraternity of St. James, and you'll see a way to provide a donation if you are so moved. If you use the guide, please email me with updates and revisions (my email address is at the front of the guide). I am far from Lisbon now and can't do any updates myself, so I'm hoping that users will contribute to the ongoing effort.

Thanks, and bom caminho, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back