• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking guide -- Mozárabe from Almería to Granada

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great!. Now it's published. Thanks Laurie. It's wonderful to think that my efforts may be of some help to the next person who is wondering whether they should walk this Camino. Pleease dont be put off by the first day. It is a little bit like leaving Valencia on the Levante, at least in the morning. It's a bit industrial, and they really should clean up the rubbish in the river bed. From Day 2, it's magic!
On Sunday I'm off to Leon and hope to start on one our favorites, the San Salvador on Monday. That would probably mean that I'll be on the Primitivo starting on Friday or thereabouts.
Thanks again for the notes! Buen Camino Laurie!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thankyou too Falcon. I've been reading, and learning from your notes for years. Just following your good example.
Buen Camino!

Kev

Thanks @Kevin F. O*brien and Laurie @peregrina2000! Last fall I did the Mozárabe from Granada - Mérida (didn't see a single pilgrim) and since then have been contemplating the route from Málaga. Now I can investigate this option. I already have the Amigos guide which includes the 4 routes but your information will be a great addition.

Buen Camino on the Salvador/Primitivo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks @Kevin F. O*brien and Laurie @peregrina2000! Last fall I did the Mozárabe from Granada - Mérida (didn't see a single pilgrim) and since then have been contemplating the route from Málaga. Now I can investigate this option. I already have the Amigos guide which includes the 4 routes but your information will be a great addition.

Buen Camino on the Salvador/Primitivo!
Lt, I think you should investigate the walk from Almeria and then look for a forum friend to walk with you. :) Is there any way we could do what we did on the Aragones -- back up to Malaga when we hit the intersection? I'm working on a lot of quad and glute strengthening so I should be back to my old slogging self with a happy knee by next year, fingers crossed.

I can't imagine which forum friend that may be ;). Hmmm not sure I understand what you mean by connecting the route from Málaga.

So, walk Almeria to Baena (???) (that would be the Santa Cilia de Jaca equivalent point), then get from there to Malaga and walk back to Baena and continue on. But I hadn't realized how much overlap there would be for you from last year from Granada, so maybe the best thing would be for me to hope to find another forum member who would want to start from Almeria and then I'd turn off at Baena and go meet you in Malaga.

Anyone else dreaming of the Mozarabe for May-June 2016?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems that my plans are set, at least for now, for Almeria-Granada-Cordoba-Merida and then follow the VdlP all the way up. Will be my 2nd VdlP. Starting in Almeira beginning of April, after spending 10 days in Alicante with my woman.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
do people who know the south of Spain well think that it would be crazy to start in Almeria on May 20 or thereabouts?

Weather varies along the route (it's not the same Almería than Córdoba, for example) and is unpredictable. However, I would say: You might find maximum temperatures over 40ºC along your route (on some dates), you are likely to find maximum temperatures over 35ºC along your route (on some dates) and it's sure you'll find maximum temperatures over 30ºC (on some dates) along your route. And, in June, in places like Córdoba you might find minimum temperatures over 20ºC on some dates.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Weather varies along the route (it's not the same Almería than Córdoba, for example) and is unpredictable. However, I would say: You might find maximum temperatures over 40ºC along your route (on some dates), you are likely to find maximum temperatures over 35ºC along your route (on some dates) and it's sure you'll find maximum temperatures over 30ºC (on some dates) along your route. And, in June, in places like Córdoba you might find minimum temperatures over 20ºC on some dates.

Thanks, Castilian, this is sounding like maybe I should leave the Mózarabe for a year when I can start in early May. But the Ebro plus Castellano-Aragonés might be nearly just as hot, no? Gosh, I WISH I could start in mid April! Thanks again, Laurie

But the Ebro plus Castellano-Aragonés might be nearly just as hot, no?

On the Mozárabe, the coldest days are likely to be at the start of the route (between Almería and Granada) while on the Ebro plus Castellano-Aragonés they are likely to be once you are on the Castellano-Aragonés; i.e.: at the end of the route. The Ebro is likely to be hotter than the Castellano-Aragonés but in any case, the Ebro should be, at least, something like 2 or 3 degrees colder than the hottest sections of the Mozárabe. If you start the Ebro plus Castellano-Aragonés combo in May, you could see temperatures over 35ºC on some dates but you could also make all the route without seeing them. Temperatures over 40ºC are unknown in Soria and in Burgos and in between (not just in June but in any month) and, on that area, temperatures over 34ºC are rare enough (not just in June but also in July, August...) as to be considered a heat wave if they last 3 or more days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, Mozarabe from Almeria in 2018, starting early April. Fingers crossed.

I just saw a link to this blog, a couple walking from Almeria, and thought I'd post it here, because otherwise I will never find it in a year when I'm getting serious about this walk. Sort of using the forum as my filing system.

http://www.nickandangela.com/camino-de-santiago-mediterranean-atlantic/.

Hi Laurie,

Is there any newer guide on the Mozárabe (than from 2015) in the ressources section? I went there to look but I don't know how to search for it...

Thanks!

BP

Hi Laurie,

Is there any newer guide on the Mozárabe (than from 2015) in the ressources section? I went there to look but I don't know how to search for it...

Thanks!

BP

Hi, BP,
The best guide is the one published by the camino association in Almería. It was all I had when I walked. They update it monthly, or more than monthly, so that the phone numbers for hospitaleros are up to date, etc. And the association is a wonderful small group of dedicated volunteers. We were in constant contact with them, met them in Almería, and were the beneficiaries of their daily messages. The most up to date version is always on their website, see the link over on the right.

http://www.almeriajacobea.es

I walked long stages, and they were tough sometimes, but I had a thoroughly wonderful camino. And the three days from Guadix into Granada are absolutely beautiful!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow, thanks. I will check out what you wrote about it! I haven't been here for a while. /BP

Wow, thanks. I will check out what you wrote about it! I haven't been here for a while. /BP

Bad Pilgrim:

If you are planning to walk this time of year, please know it will be very hot and there is not much shade except for hiding under one of the million Olive trees you will pass along the way until you reach Cordoba and you start to see other vegetation.

The first section Almeria to Granada is very well marked and supported by the local association. Granada to Cordoba is also well marked.

Toughest day for me was Granada to Moclin. Only 33k but the last 4k is straight uphill.

Ultreya,
Joe

Bad Pilgrim:

If you are planning to walk this time of year, please know it will be very hot and there is not much shade except for hiding under one of the million Olive trees you will pass along the way until you reach Cordoba and you start to see other vegetation.

The first section Almeria to Granada is very well marked and supported by the local association. Granada to Cordoba is also well marked.

Toughest day for me was Granada to Moclin. Only 33k but the last 4k is straight uphill.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi,

I am actually in Monterrubio now, so almost in Mérida!

I did the Moclin stage a few weeks ago. I think you should read my account of it in my thread. I ended up on some crazy alternative camino, and Laurie told me that you had gone the same way, according to my description of it!

It would be nice if you could read it and comment!

BP

Bad Pilgrim:

Ultreya,
Joe
It is post nr 63! You find the thread somewhere at the top of the Mozàrabe section.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Could someone, please write a short commentary regarding a comparison between 2 tracts of the Mozarabe.

Would you recommend more the Almeria-Granada or the Granada-Cordoba ??

I know that the leghts are different, but I would like some comments especially about the landscapes, the hystorical spots and the % of tarmac/asphalt present.

Could someone, please write a short commentary regarding a comparison between 2 tracts of the Mozarabe.

Would you recommend more the Almeria-Granada or the Granada-Cordoba ??

I know that the leghts are different, but I would like some comments especially about the landscapes, the hystorical spots and the % of tarmac/asphalt present.
Here is a selection of good threads about the Mozarabe that might help you with this comparison. There are some detailed accounts which describe both sections.

Without looking carefully at my notes or photos, here are my remembered impressions:
  • Landscapes - Almeria-Granada had some spectacular, harsh and dry landscapes. Granada-Cordoba was notable for the olive groves.
  • Historical spots - No area in Spain is without historical spots and the two routes both have them, but the route with both Granada and Cordoba might have an advantage because those two cities are such highlights. Both routes have castles scattered here and there.
  • Tarmac/asphalt - I don't remember there being a lot. As a guess, maybe Granada-Cordoba has higher % of tarmac. HOWEVER, in my opinion, walking on the dry river bed for much of the first 3 days out of Almeria is much worse than walking on tarmac. But those days also included some of the more dramatic landscapes!

Here is a selection of good threads about the Mozarabe that might help you with this comparison. There are some detailed accounts which describe both sections.

Without looking carefully at my notes or photos, here are my remembered impressions:
  • Landscapes - Almeria-Granada had some spectacular, harsh and dry landscapes. Granada-Cordoba was notable for the olive groves.
  • Historical spots - No area in Spain is without historical spots and the two routes both have them, but the route with both Granada and Cordoba might have an advantage because those two cities are such highlights. Both routes have castles scattered here and there.
  • Tarmac/asphalt - I don't remember there being a lot. As a guess, maybe Granada-Cordoba has higher % of tarmac. HOWEVER, in my opinion, walking on the dry river bed for much of the first 3 days out of Almeria is much worse than walking on tarmac. But those days also included some of the more dramatic landscapes!
Thank you for the nice and precise reply !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Kevin, we had planned this one for 2020 but alas. As it is still on the agenda, we will have much benefit from it!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back