• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Guides and Accommodations - First Timer

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am planning on walking from Le-Puy-en-Velay to Finisterre and would appreciate assistance in a few areas based on your experiences.

Walking Guides

I have seen names like Alison Raju, Ben Cole / Beth Davies, John Brierley associated with walking guides. Do you favour one particular guide and if so why? Is a walking guide even necessary or does one simply "follow the arrows"?

Accommodations

I am looking to stay in Bed & Breakfast, small hotels etc. and would like to hear from your as particular web sites that would be helpful or even better obtain actual accommodation recommendations based on your Camino experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read my basic questions and also thanks for sharing your personal thougths to help me out.

GuyA

p.s. I also posted this on the The LePuy Route and Camino Frances boards. If this was improper sorry in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Susan Alcorn and her husband stayed mostly in hotels and hostels during their Camino Francis. She wrote a book: "Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago." You might pick up some tips there, and it's one of the better Camino books because she added area histories along the way. She has a Web site at http://backpack45.com .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just returned from Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia and had to stay in b&b (not municipal albergue) as I was using a bag service.
In Negreira - Albergue Logroso was lovely, you turn off before the town, its a country house run well by brothers with lovely garden and good evening meal. 15 euros - breakfast included but basic.
In Olvieroa - As Pias (which is a nice restaurant) had basic rooms in nearby house, not great value 20 euros each in 2 bed room. you could pay more to stay at the restaurant itself. there was another option there also (sorry don't know the name) other than the albergue.
In Cee, stayed at Das Estrellas, 10 euros. good showers but room is strange shape open plan, bunks, smelled damp, noisy. There is a hotel next door though which is same business. I would try and find something in Corbubion the neighbouring town, which is really pretty. Both these towns are coastal.
In Finesterre, stayed at Do Sol, 12.5 euros in 2 bed room. in a house, basic, bit of a rush on the bathrooms. chilled/hippy, did offer healthy dinner and breakfast.
In Muxia, stayed at waterfront Hotel La Cruz, 25 each in 2 bed room, but nice.
In Santiago, Hotel Gastronomica (35 each 2/bed room) was good, and Hotel Real (40 euros single) also altho bit noisy.
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back