• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in a "skort" (skirt/shorts hybrid)

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
What brand of skorts do you like? That's my preference for warm weather as well.
I have one set of the cheap one from Decathlon, and then 3 from Costco (unsure of the brand). My beef with them is that the shorts don't stay in place, so I had to add a rubberized elastic to the legs so they didn't roll up. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear yours!

Ruth

[Transferred from another thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have one set of the cheap one from Decathlon, and then 3 from Costco (unsure of the brand). My beef with them is that the shorts don't stay in place, so I had to add a rubberized elastic to the legs so they didn't roll up. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear yours!

Ruth

I have two of these. I like the shorts underneath to avoid chafing, plus there's a phone pocket in the shorts. And they are longer than some, which works well for me as I am tall. But I'm always looking for more options.

Lol I like 3 sets. I don't think I would ever go with just 2. What brand of skorts do you like? That's my preference for warm weather as well.
If you havenā€™t tried the Prada skortsā€”I love them! Here in St Augustine I wear them all year. Although I recently got an Eddie Bauer skort (and their capris) Awesome. Mine are size 2 and fit perfect. But the size 4 works and leaves room for more wine and tarte de Santiago!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, I don't see the point of skorts. To me it's more practical to wear a pair of lightweight shorts or leggings under a skirt or dress. Skorts lack the advantage of providing some cover when one needs to do their "business" off trail.

I had 2 of these of these a while back, they are popular for golf. Although I liked some things about them, because it takes longer for them to dry didnā€™t seem practical for a Camino.

I added a skort to my last camino kit and really liked it for something different and a bit girlie. I had no problem with the legs rolling up. In addition to hiking skorts, I like golfer skorts as they are attractive, wicking, and they offer a nice variety of patterns, too. I use those at home in summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am 6 ft tall. Itā€™s easier for me to find an appropriate length skirt than it is to find shorts unless I buy menā€™s shorts. I realize I could wear biker shorts with a long inseam but, idk, I feel kind of naked in them. Itā€™s just a preference. I like having 3 bottoms total, so it is only one piece.

Iā€™m debating through if I want to use a skort or a purple rain skirt with menā€™s undies (thigh chafe). I have both and the purple rain skirt does offer a bit of privacy for peeing, but it also rides up my waist when Iā€™m wearing a pack which is annoying.

Another option would be a knee length macabi. I have a long one (best pockets ever, great As a rain skirt but does double duty) but man itā€™s ugly. Maybe the knee length one gives off less Quaker vibes?

I am 6 ft tall. Itā€™s easier for me to find an appropriate length skirt than it is to find shorts unless I buy menā€™s shorts. I realize I could wear biker shorts with a long inseam but, idk, I feel kind of naked in them. Itā€™s just a preference. I like having 3 bottoms total, so it is only one piece.

Iā€™m debating through if I want to use a skort or a purple rain skirt with menā€™s undies (thigh chafe). I have both and the purple rain skirt does offer a bit of privacy for peeing, but it also rides up my waist when Iā€™m wearing a pack which is annoying.

Another option would be a knee length macabi. I have a long one (best pockets ever, great As a rain skirt but does double duty) but man itā€™s ugly. Maybe the knee length one gives off less Quaker vibes?

I have two Macabi skirts and I love them. Will take both on my Camino. Maybe try a different color and match with bright tank tops for less Quaker and more hipster vibe?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Personally, I don't see the point of skorts. To me it's more practical to wear a pair of lightweight shorts or leggings under a skirt or dress. Skorts lack the advantage of providing some cover when one needs to do their "business" off trail.
I don't understand why people wear skorts either. But since so many people do, there must be some good reasons (besides being a bit feminine). I wonder what they are.

I don't understand why people wear skorts either. But since so many people do, there must be some good reasons (besides being a bit feminine). I wonder what they are.
I do not have a preference, nor good reasons to use one over the other. I find both shorts and skorts good choices on warmer days.
(I do have a friend who thinks she has a big bottom and she prefers wearing a skort to hide it.šŸ¤·)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My reasons for skorts is that they help me avoid chafing while walking but also look good in town. This isn't a small consideration for me, as I feel weird attending mass in exercise pants. I did it my first and second caminos, but I didn't like it.

I also like them because they hide all of my fat rolls a lot better than exercise pants to begin with! šŸ˜‚

I had 2 of these of these a while back, they are popular for golf. Although I liked some things about them, because it takes longer for them to dry didnā€™t seem practical for a Camino.
I actually never had a problem with my skorts not drying. Of course, I never hand wash if I can help it, but the shorts underneath on exercise/travel skorts are usually a mesh fabric of some sort--something like a non-see through swim trunk liner--and they dry incredibly fast.

I have runner friends who only use skorts, and now that I've walked one Camino in them, I am totally converted!

Ruth

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anything "annoying" is a word I try to avoid on Camino.

Another word that's not a favorite of mine is "ugly".šŸ˜…
:D Sometimes packing for a camino means setting aside my aesthetics for clothes in favor of the practical. But then I find myself on trail, annoyed and wincing at said ugly skirt. It's a dilemma lol

Maybe try a different color and match with bright tank tops for less Quaker and more hipster vibe?
I tried this. The pics on their website look very boho cute. Problem is their longest skirt is still too short to get that ankle length graceful look so instead, I look like I'm attending some weird religious cult meeting. :p Which is why I'm wondering about the knee length one. Maybe on me it would be around the same length as a 20 inch skort, less frumpy, and bonus, the pockets that can hold an elephant! lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I tried this. The pics on their website look very boho cute. Problem is their longest skirt is still too short to get that ankle length graceful look so instead, I look like I'm attending some weird religious cult meeting. :p Which is why I'm wondering about the knee length one. Maybe on me it would be around the same length as a 20 inch skort, less frumpy, and bonus, the pockets that can hold an elephant! lol
I wonder if a tailor could hem it and re-position the inner tabs used to turn it into pants? Now I'm curious b/c that's the one thing I don't like about mine, too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked the Portuges in aMEC quick dry skirt. The days that it rained, I didnā€™t need to worry about it taking forever to dry. Cooler morning wore tights underneath and easy to remove if it warmed up. Taking my skirt again for theIngles in April

I wonder if a tailor could hem it and re-position the inner tabs used to turn it into pants? Now I'm curious b/c that's the one thing I don't like about mine, too.
Itā€™s easy enough to modify. I replaced the elastic in the waist band (I was attempting to wear it lower on my hips to make it look longer by relaxing the waist) and also replaced the conversion strap by re-using the hardware on a piece of elastic the same color as my skirt. I also repositioned the attachment loop. I have average sewing skills and my sewing machine is broken so I did it all by hand. Mine is black so itā€™s forgiving of less than perfect stitching.

The more I think about it, I might just cut my long one down into a knee length skirt and then maybe contact the owner to see if theyā€™d make an extra long skirt for me.

Excellent reason Eve!I am not far behind you in height. I wore a Lululemon skort way back in 2012 and I too preferred it over knee length shorts, that didnā€™t reach my knees.šŸ˜„
It dried fast too.
It lasted 900ks and then some.
These reasons are offered as practical advice and are not born out of any desire within me to justify to others why I would want to wear one.
I figure people can wear whatever they like to without the weight of otherā€™s expectations, yeah?
Especially on the Camino.
Especially for women who too often get criticised for their clothing choices.
Buen Camino!ā¤ļøšŸŒø

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Excellent reason Eve!I am not far behind you in height. I wore a Lululemon skort way back in 2012 and I too preferred it over knee length shorts, that didnā€™t reach my knees.šŸ˜„

It's rare for me to meet another woman near my height! With a 36 inch inseam, it's a royal pain to find hiking gear that fits well. Almost always too short in the legs and rise. Nevermind the lack of useable pockets. Sometimes it is worth it to just buy men's clothes, but I don't want all my sets of clothing to have a masculine fit. Skirts are forgiving in that rise doesn't matter. I'm definitely taking one with me. I just have to decide which one I want to take. lol

Ruth

I have a couple from Kathmandu. Wear them all year round. Leggings underneath when cold. Not sure if available outside of Australia and NEW Zealand.

While I recognize your situation is annoying, I'm jealous that the long is too short for you. Mine is waiting to go to the seamstress because I trip over it :(

Maybe Mike @ Macabi can help? I fear that the skirts are not made on order, but it's worth asking. You aren't the only one who finds them too short.

If it matters, I have the knee-length and the original. I can get an iPod mini in the original (!) and the waist looks better on me. A belt helps the appearance. The knee-length is hardcore frumpy. Oh my, so frumpy.

I've been training wearing my knee-length and slip "bike" shorts or leggings beneath. The slip shorts dry in a flash.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am quite tall as well, and will take the (slim, long length) Macabi with me for all the reasons already stated. In addition, as a person who sunburns very easily I wanted full yet ventilated coverage so I didnā€™t have to slather my legs daily with sunscreen. That benefit alone outweighed the undeniable frump factor.

I am quite tall as well, and will take the (slim, long length) Macabi with me for all the reasons already stated. In addition, as a person who sunburns very easily I wanted full yet ventilated coverage so I didnā€™t have to slather my legs daily with sunscreen. That benefit alone outweighed the undeniable frump factor.
ā€œUndeniable frump factorā€ šŸ˜† perfectly stated.

And I agree the long/slim is great for ventilation without having to use sunscreen. On the really hot days though, I wished I had something shorter. Maybe because my skirt is black it was absorbing heat?

While I recognize your situation is annoying, I'm jealous that the long is too short for you. Mine is waiting to go to the seamstress because I trip over it :(

Maybe Mike @ Macabi can help? I fear that the skirts are not made on order, but it's worth asking. You aren't the only one who finds them too short.

If it matters, I have the knee-length and the original. I can get an iPod mini in the original (!) and the waist looks better on me. A belt helps the appearance. The knee-length is hardcore frumpy. Oh my, so frumpy.

I've been training wearing my knee-length and slip "bike" shorts or leggings beneath. The slip shorts dry in a flash.
One personā€™s blessing is anotherā€™s curse. Lol I have a friend who is barely 5 ft, and we commiserate about the whole thing, while looking rather odd walking down the street together. šŸ˜†

I went to the macabi site today. The knee length skirt is 20 inches which is probably 3 inches *above the knee for me. I think Iā€™m going to shorten my macabi to create a just barely above the knee skirt. I wonā€™t wear it again at the current length. I felt really self conscious about it the last time.

Another slip shorts option is merino mens underwear. It works well for chafing as well as being very cool in the heat. Easy to find on Amazon and also dry quickly.

/sighā€¦no they arenā€™t made to order but sometimes small companies will do a special order with an up charge. Itā€™s worth an ask. I would love to have a truly long macabi skirt.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-

Ruth

LLBean is my favorite skort with roomy pockets for my mobile phone, etc.

yes, I have a Macabi skirt and it is super-unflattering. It gives me a shape that I have never seen before. However, it is comfortable and has pockets for days. I used a long one for sun protection and put on a pair of leggings for warmth on cold mornings. I would peel them off by about 9 am. Discreet and allows you some privacy for emergency forays into the bushes. That, plus discovering (and stealing) my husbands tech boxer briefs -- remarkably comfortable. I understand the purpose of a skort, but I find them to be uncomfortable -- I spend a lot of time tugging them down. Maybe I have big thighs. Reminds me of wearing bicycle shorts under my dress in elementary school so I could play on the monkey bars.

Last edited:
It's rare for me to meet another woman near my height! With a 36 inch inseam, it's a royal pain to find hiking gear that fits well. Almost always too short in the legs and rise. Nevermind the lack of useable pockets. Sometimes it is worth it to just buy men's clothes, but I don't want all my sets of clothing to have a masculine fit. Skirts are forgiving in that rise doesn't matter. I'm definitely taking one with me. I just have to decide which one I want to take. lol
So true. The thing with dudeā€™s shirts is that they are often less expensive than trendy ā€˜boyfriendā€™ designer womenā€™s ones. Totally hear you on not wanting all your sets of clothing to not have a masculine fit.
I really love fajhlraven (need to spell check that!) gear.
I am a Kiwi. My hubby is tall too. Some of our Camino buddys said they thought we were German, oresumably because of our height. I have lots of gorgeous German friends so Iā€™ll take the compliment.šŸ˜„
Go well lovely.

So true. The thing with dudeā€™s shirts is that they are often less expensive than trendy ā€˜boyfriendā€™ designer womenā€™s ones. Totally hear you on not wanting all your sets of clothing to not have a masculine fit.
I really love fajhlraven (need to spell check that!) gear.
I am a Kiwi. My hubby is tall too. Some of our Camino buddys said they thought we were German, oresumably because of our height. I have lots of gorgeous German friends so Iā€™ll take the compliment.šŸ˜„
Go well lovely.
Right???? Itā€™s so annoying that the diversity of sizes and pockets for men arenā€™t available for women. My tall sons? I buy jeans by waist and inseam. Me? I have to go to a specialty online store to buy a ā€œtallā€ and dig through the fine print to find out if that means 32, 34, or 36 inch inseam. šŸ™„ I try to mix the menā€™s items I find with womens items, to mitigate the masculine fit a bit. But seriously. A macabi skirt is $84 plus shipping. The *average pair of mens hiking shorts or pants are available widely around $45. šŸ˜‘ /grump grump

Ruth

No two skirts. I have traveled and fished many years up in the boundary waters of Minnesota in Canada. Hot, humid, bugs. You want a pair of pants that are made of a material that can get wet yet when hung up dries within 10 to 15 minutes. And you want pants that zip off at the knees. Forget about looking cute or whatever it is you are thinking about. Comfort and being practical is of the upmost importance if you are walking the Camino.

No two skirts. I have traveled and fished many years up in the boundary waters of Minnesota in Canada. Hot, humid, bugs. You want a pair of pants that are made of a material that can get wet yet when hung up dries within 10 to 15 minutes. And you want pants that zip off at the knees. Forget about looking cute or whatever it is you are thinking about. Comfort and being practical is of the upmost importance if you are walking the Camino.
Oops, I failed to mention that I have walked the Camino in 2015.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Right???? Itā€™s so annoying that the diversity of sizes and pockets for men arenā€™t available for women. My tall sons? I buy jeans by waist and inseam. Me? I have to go to a specialty online store to buy a ā€œtallā€ and dig through the fine print to find out if that means 32, 34, or 36 inch inseam. šŸ™„ I try to mix the menā€™s items I find with womens items, to mitigate the masculine fit a bit. But seriously. A macabi skirt is $84 plus shipping. The *average pair of mens hiking shorts or pants are available widely around $45. šŸ˜‘ /grump grump
Itā€™s super annoying. I donā€™t think the Lululemon skirt was particularly cheap but it was my fave from SJPDP to Fisterre. And I wore it for a few years back home. Good luck with your options.
(I admit it only had one little pocket šŸ˜ƒ)

Iā€™ve spent a lot of summers in buggy MN, too. Biggest flies and gnat swarms Iā€™ve ever seen. šŸ˜† Skirts allow for leggings easily added and then removed when the bugs are out. I would love to own a good pair of zip off pants. Literally cannot find a pair that fit properly. The outdoor clothing businesses havenā€™t invested yet in a wide range of sizes, particularly talls.

I would love to own a good pair of zip off pants.
I think zip off pants are a great little invention, unfortunately I have not been a fan as I find the stiff zippers annoying while walking, sitting, or moving my legs at all.šŸ˜…
Anyone else avoid purchasing them a second time for this same reason?

I think zip off pants are a great little invention, unfortunately I have not been a fan as I find the stiff zippers annoying while walking, sitting, or moving my legs at all.šŸ˜…
Anyone else avoid purchasing them a second time for this same reason?
I bought a pair of mens ones in Spain when I was desperate (it was a high snow year), but they didnā€™t fit well, and once I tried to wear them without my baselayer, incredibly uncomfortable. I suspect itā€™s a bit of a unicorn to find the pair that fit well and donā€™t rub in weird ways at the zip off point. The good ones that donā€™t weigh a ton also seem to be very expensive. Iā€™m sure Iā€™d use them if I could find a pair that fit well and donā€™t rub at the zipper line.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done 3 caminos, so not my first rodeo (2013, 2016, 2021) and I found wearing skorts very comfortable last year when I walked from Porto. For me at least, I feel like skorts bridge the gap between comfortable and stylish.

Having said that, you do you! Your choices don't have to be mine, and vice versa!

Buen Camino!

Ruth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm happy that you have found what works for you. I am very comfortable walking the Camino in a hiking dress.

So. I chopped my macabi skirt this morning. It was a large/slim/long and too short to be boho-cute on me. I made it 22 inches long (minus the narrow hem I still need to do), and whoa....cuteness factor upped considerably! :D Maybe the knee length skirt they sell is based on the original style which is a fuller skirt, but in the slim model, it lays quite nicely. I didn't test it with stuffed pockets because while I'm sure it will distort it a bit, so does a backpack's hip belt. It was 300 g, and now it is 200g, which makes it just over 7 ounces, which is a very lightweight bottom piece for a 6 ft tall woman. :) I own the ex officio give and go men's boxers with a 9 inch inseam for undershorts and they don't show. I even hiked up the waistband a bit since pack hipbelts often inch up a skirt waistline, and it still covers the boxers. Merino leggings would also work on a breezy morning.

If you want to do this, the original hem is curved. I laid it out and measured in several places up at the waistband so that I could preserve the curve (which is important so that it is even around the bottom when worn).

Overall, I'm pleased with how it came out and it will work well for me as an alternative to shorts, after combing the web once again last night for workable zip off pants, to no avail. Ymmv but its definitely worth considering if you have a skirt and don't use it due to excessive frump-factor.

You gals who sew, (I think of @trecile), adjust and improvise existing things always amaze me.šŸ˜ƒ I have sewn curtains, drapes, and have upholstered a few pieces of furniture "back in the day", but that ship has sailed. I think I've gone gone off topic a bit, but ultimately am giving some accolades to you gals.āœ‚ļø

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You gals who sew, (I think of @trecile), adjust and improvise existing things always amaze me.šŸ˜ƒ I have sewn curtains, drapes, and have upholstered a few pieces of furniture "back in the day", but that ship has sailed. I think I've gone gone off topic a bit, but ultimately am giving some accolades to you gals.āœ‚ļø

I bow to @trecile 's sewing skills. She actually makes clothing from scratch. This is just cut and hem. I'm a little nervous to do the hemming because this fabric is very slippy and my sewing machine broke ages ago. Slow and steady and a whole lot of pins!

Now I just have to figure out what else I'm taking. lol

I highly recommend Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. These are skirts, not skorts. Personally, I donā€™t like those slimy (IMO) skort liners, and I feel they limit the use case. Iā€™ve tried several styles and manufacturers, and always felt limited by the liners. (Have heard that long distance hikers with chafing issues wear something underneath the skirt, but Iā€™d have to research that.)

With the PR skirt, you can pull on a pair of leggings underneath if it gets chilly, and you still look presentable in town. The pockets are exceedingly practical and usefulā€”holds my phone securely (the pockets are designed so that theyā€™re two in oneā€”slip things like a map behind or use the flap for money, phone, etc). Many long distance hikers take Mandyā€™s skirts on the AT, PCT, etc. I hike almost exclusively in PR skirts and prAna Halle Straight pants (for areas with poison oak, spiky bushes, etc.)

When washing clothes by hand on Camino, I appreciate that I can rinse out my undies every day, but I donā€™t have to wash the skirt nearly as often. Another bonus: with PR, youā€™re supporting a small cottage industry, which is nice. Sizing is XS - XXL, and Mandy will accept custom orders if you want a different length. She also makes a hiking dress and a kilt.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. These are skirts, not skorts. Personally, I donā€™t like those slimy (IMO) skort liners, and I feel they limit the use case. Iā€™ve tried several styles and manufacturers, and always felt limited by the liners. (Long distance hikers with chafing issues pull on something underneath the skirt, but Iā€™d have to research that.)

With the PR skirt, you can pull on a pair of leggings underneath if it gets chilly, and you still look presentable in town. The pockets are exceedingly practical and useful. Many long distance hikers take Mandyā€™s skirts on the AT, PCT, etc. I hike almost exclusively in PR skirts and Prana Halle Straight pants (for areas with poison oak, spiky bushes, etc.)

When washing clothes by hand on Camino, I appreciate that I can rinse out my undies every day, but I donā€™t have to wash the skirt nearly as often. Another bonus: with PR, youā€™re supporting a small cottage industry, which is nice.
I have a PR skirt. Theyā€™re nice. A little short on me so I only use it for day hiking.

Re the Prana Halle, you take just these two pieces or a third since the PR skirts are so light?

I used a purple rain skirt last camino (the CPI - very isolated tough walk) and the macabi on the Frances. The macabi was so practical -- never seemed to require washing (!) - but it was so ugly, I hoisted btw my legs (one of its features) which was better. But I gave it away after that. I loved the purple rain skirt, but it was too, what, skirty, and I needed more cover. Am looking for a skort too that will dry. Found Baleaf has good very light ones.

I used a purple rain skirt last camino (the CPI - very isolated tough walk) and the macabi on the Frances. The macabi was so practical -- never seemed to require washing (!) - but it was so ugly, I hoisted btw my legs (one of its features) which was better. But I gave it away after that. I loved the purple rain skirt, but it was too, what, skirty, and I needed more cover. Am looking for a skort too that will dry. Found Baleaf has good very light ones.
Baleaf has several skorts. Which one did you get and how much does it weigh?

I have a PR skirt. Theyā€™re nice. A little short on me so I only use it for day hiking.

Re the Prana Halle, you take just these two pieces or a third since the PR skirts are so light?
Hi Eve,

You can special order a different length skirt. Theyā€™re so durable, which I failed to mention. If you own one, you know this already.

As to the pieces, it depends on the season/weather. Iā€™d be perfectly comfortable with just these two pieces, but Iā€™d add leggings if I expected it to be cold. The leggings can layer under the skirt or the pants for warmth, and they can also be your sleepwear. I love merino wool leggings like these from ioMerino. Theyā€™re expensive, but I love the compression. They donā€™t bag out at all.

You didnā€™t ask about tops, but I layer Icebreaker merino wool tees (yes, even in summerā€”the lightest ones) with a half-zip of wool or fleece, depending on weather. Patagonia Capilene is a good choice. In warmer, sunny weather, I take a sun shirt. Hereā€™s Treelineā€™s article. (Thereā€™s a ton of good information on Treelineā€™s site. Liz and Naomi are the real deal.) I bought the Voormi River Run based on this review, and I loved it for sun and wind on the Caminho PortuguĆŖs. Expensive, but I wear the heck out of it, even at home. Because itā€™s so good, Iā€™m tempted to try one of their skirts (regular or mesh). Theyā€™re a little more refined looking, but they donā€™t have the pocket functionality of the Purple Rain skirt.

Note: no cotton ever bc of moisture retention, weight, and drying time. Hope this helps!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
@Eve Alexandra, I backpack in PR with no riding up problem. Perhaps you have the wrong size? I like sizing up so I can layer leggings underneath, so I have the skirt in two sizes. My weight fluctuates too, and the small might not lie as flat when Iā€™m on my heavier side.

@Eve Alexandra, I backpack in PR with no riding up problem. Perhaps you have the wrong size? I like sizing up so I can layer leggings underneath, so I have the skirt in two sizes. My weight fluctuates too, and the small might not lie as flat when Iā€™m on my heavier side.

I also fluctuate weight. But I think the riding up has more to do with my very long torso (6 ft tall...long torso and also 36 inch inseam). It only takes an inch for a shorter skirt to be beyond my modesty comfort zone.

Hi Eve,

You can special order a different length skirt. Theyā€™re so durable, which I failed to mention. If you own one, you know this already.

As to the pieces, it depends on the season/weather. Iā€™d be perfectly comfortable with just these two pieces, but Iā€™d add leggings if I expected it to be cold. The leggings can layer under the skirt or the pants for warmth, and they can also be your sleepwear. I love merino wool leggings like these from ioMerino. Theyā€™re expensive, but I love the compression. They donā€™t bag out at all.

You didnā€™t ask about tops, but I layer Icebreaker merino wool tees (yes, even in summerā€”the lightest ones) with a half-zip of wool or fleece, depending on weather. Patagonia Capilene is a good choice. In warmer, sunny weather, I take a sun shirt. Hereā€™s Treelineā€™s article. (Thereā€™s a ton of good information on Treelineā€™s site. Liz and Naomi are the real deal.) I bought the Voormi River Run based on this review, and I loved it for sun and wind on the Caminho PortuguĆŖs. Expensive, but I wear the heck out of it, even at home. Because itā€™s so good, Iā€™m tempted to try one of their skirts (regular or mesh). Theyā€™re a little more refined looking, but they donā€™t have the pocket functionality of the Purple Rain skirt.

Note: no cotton ever bc of moisture retention, weight, and drying time. Hope this helps!

I already have good merino leggings and they are definitely coming with me. So incredibly useful.

I'm still working out my top situation. I'm thinking one sleeveless, one short sleeve, one ls sunshirt, my one merino baselayer. And then mid layer and shell. I do like the capilene line. UL and so breezy. Trying to keep it simple but have options since I'm looking at April/May.

I also have to buy men's tops due to my long torso, and try to avoid them looking like when I borrow my husband's t shirts for pjs (sloppy albeit incredibly comfy lol).

I was at REI last night. I was happy to see that they've expanded their size range a bit for women's clothes, but apparently they think that there are no women with an inseam more than 30-32. Except Prana. But they don't offer that inseam once you're in the extended size range. At my height/bone structure and at my ideal weight, I still often need an extended size.

It's just hard for me to find hiking clothing that fits right and is also as lightweight as possible. Which is why I always head to the men's dept first.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally, I donā€™t like those slimy (IMO) skort liners, and I feel they limit the use case
Same here. I have bought skorts because they had pockets or other features that I liked, then cut the little shorts out of them. As you said - the shorts underneath limit the usefulness of the skort. I prefer to wear a pair of lightweight running shorts or leggings if anything (other than underwear) under a skirt or dress. I use the shorts or leggings as pajama bottoms at night.

I hike almost exclusively in PR skirts and Prana Halle Straight pants
Unless they have changed them in the past year, the Prana Halle pants have ridiculously shallow pockets. I keep thinking that I should alter them to make them deeper, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I find The North Face Aphrodite pants to be really comfortable with nice deep front pockets, but not quite as stylish as the Prana pants.

I wore the same "Running Skirts" skort paired with a merino top over 33 days in Sept-Oct 2018, handwashing at the end of each walking day (same skirt, alternating 2 identical shirts). I purchased it at a local hiking shop in Adelaide but noted there is a (US) online shop, Running Skirts, and they have a sale on at time of writing (13/02/22). Mine is a longer, 'athletic skirt' with very comfortable attached shorts and concealed pocket. I was stopped many, many times by peregrinas/pƩlerines, asking me where I had got it. I'm still wearing it on my walks at home. It was not cheap to buy at the time (imported from US) but has repaid the cost many times over!

Attachments

• 20180911_215903.jpg
    20180911_215903.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 23
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I already have good merino leggings and they are definitely coming with me. So incredibly useful.

I'm still working out my top situation. I'm thinking one sleeveless, one short sleeve, one ls sunshirt, my one merino baselayer. And then mid layer and shell. I do like the capilene line. UL and so breezy. Trying to keep it simple but have options since I'm looking at April/May.

I also have to buy men's tops due to my long torso, and try to avoid them looking like when I borrow my husband's t shirts for pjs (sloppy albeit incredibly comfy lol).

I was at REI last night. I was happy to see that they've expanded their size range a bit for women's clothes, but apparently they think that there are no women with an inseam more than 30-32. Except Prana. But they don't offer that inseam once you're in the extended size range. At my height/bone structure and at my ideal weight, I still often need an extended size.

It's just hard for me to find hiking clothing that fits right and is also as lightweight as possible. Which is why I always head to the men's dept first.
You probably save money that way. Menā€™s gear is often cheaper, even though it uses less fabric.

I recently tried a Ridge Merino base layer, and I can happily report that itā€™s longer than most. Iā€™m about 5ā€™-8ā€ though.

Same here. I have bought skorts because they had pockets or other features that I liked, then cut the little shorts out of them. As you said - the shorts underneath limit the usefulness of the skort. I prefer to wear a pair of lightweight running shorts or leggings if anything (other than underwear) under a skirt or dress. I use the shorts or leggings as pajama bottoms at night.
Exactly!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unless they have changed them in the past year, the Prana Halle pants have ridiculously shallow pockets. I keep thinking that I should alter them to make them deeper, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I find The North Face Aphrodite pants to be really comfortable with nice deep front pockets, but not quite as stylish as the Prana pants.
Yes, the front pockets are ridiculous. I donā€™t even know why they bother. A lot of people complain about this, and I heard they might be making some changes. šŸ¤ž The back pockets are really nice though.

The NF ones donā€™t work for me, but Iā€™m glad youā€™ve had good luck with them.

I did wear the prAna Alana Pant on Caminho last September. Itā€™s a more stylish pant IMO bc the legs are less floppy. I donā€™t think the ReZion fabric will wear as well as the first gen Zion (which lasts forever), as I observed some minor pilling. Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t mention them before. Theyā€™re on sale right now, though, so may be worth a try. The front pockets are slightly larger, plus thereā€™s a small zippered waist pocket thatā€™s good for a key or a bit of cash.

Ruth

Title Nine Swingtastic Skort. Quick dry with mesh boy shorts. Zippered pockets. It is a bit longer than most of their skorts. I have three and live in them from spring to late fall since I donā€™t wear shorts. I am hoping they come out with new colors this year as I need to buy the next size down.

Sounds like a lot of tops. šŸ˜‰

ā‚¬46,-
I wore the same "Running Skirts" skort paired with a merino top over 33 days in Sept-Oct 2018, handwashing at the end of each walking day (same skirt, alternating 2 identical shirts). I purchased it at a local hiking shop in Adelaide but noted there is a (US) online shop, Running Skirts, and they have a sale on at time of writing (13/02/22). Mine is a longer, 'athletic skirt' with very comfortable attached shorts and concealed pocket. I was stopped many, many times by peregrinas/pƩlerines, asking me where I had got it. I'm still wearing it on my walks at home. It was not cheap to buy at the time (imported from US) but has repaid the cost many times over!
I wish I knew how to attach just a small photo, as intended (above). My earlier reply seems to indicate a big ego, but please understand, it's just big ignorance of tech matters!

I wish I knew how to attach just a small photo, as intended (above). My earlier reply seems to indicate a big ego, but please understand, it's just big ignorance of tech matters!
Anna, When you reply to a message, look for the little picture icon at the top of the blue box. When you click it, you should be able to add a photo. I've added a photo with the icon circled in red for your reference. :)

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 3.44.43 PM.png

I personally would not choose to wear a hiking skirt with separate shorts or leggings underneath. I often need to "water the bushes" along the way and a quick pull down and pull up is important to me for less opportunity to possibly be seen. I do not prefer to lift up a skirt and fumble with additional pieces of clothing underneath in addition to my undies. A quick grab at the waist, I pull everything down in one swoop, and pulling back up takes only a quick moment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anna, When you reply to a message, look for the little picture icon at the top of the blue box. When you click it, you should be able to add a photo. I've added a photo with the icon circled in red for your reference. :)

View attachment 118412
Thank you, Jill, I did click on that icon, and then chose the photo from my gallery, and even clicked 'thumbnail' when prompted, but the image still looks enormous on my post, I don't know why! I do appreciate your helpful advice and the image you sent, though. My main intention was just to share my positive experience with a 'skort,' particularly as the Running Skirts brand, based in US, might be helpful to those in the States.

Thank you, Jill, I did click on that icon, and then chose the photo from my gallery, and even clicked 'thumbnail' when prompted, but the image still looks enormous on my post, I don't know why! I do appreciate your helpful advice and the image you sent, though. My main intention was just to share my positive experience with a 'skort,' particularly as the Running Skirts brand, based in US, might be helpful to those in the States.
Well, darn. We tried!

It dried fast too.
It lasted 900ks and then some.
These reasons are offered as practical advice and are not born out of any desire within me to justify to others why I would want to wear one.
I figure people can wear whatever they like to without the weight of otherā€™s expectations, yeah?
Especially on the Camino.
Especially for women who too often get criticised for their clothing choices.
Buen Camino!ā¤ļøšŸŒø
Was this a Lululemon tennis skirt? I have a couple of those and wonder what they'd be like on a camino!

I personally would not choose to wear a hiking skirt with separate shorts or leggings underneath. I often need to "water the bushes" along the way and a quick pull down and pull up is important to me for less opportunity to possibly be seen. I do not prefer to lift up a skirt and fumble with additional pieces of clothing underneath in addition to my undies. A quick grab at the waist, I pull everything down in one swoop, and pulling back up takes only a quick moment.
Maybe TMI, but you went there. šŸ˜ I use a pStyle. Itā€™s most discreetā€”especially under a skirt. Honestly, the best $12 Iā€™ve ever spent.

Maybe TMI, but you went there. šŸ˜ I use a pStyle. Itā€™s most discreetā€”especially under a skirt. Honestly, the best $12 Iā€™ve ever spent.
I have one; used it only once. I'm not a fan, but agree they would work better under a skirt, although maneuvering it around undies with a skirt lifted sounds almost as awkward.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are lots of us and Iā€™ve been following up on the brands others have mentioned. Thank you!

In case anyone is wondering, Macabi doesnā€™t do special orders.

I found a lightweight pair of pants that I *think will be long enough (waiting for the tall size in the mail, tried the regular one on in store over the weekend).

I ordered a new macabi in a larger size to get the extra length.

These two will be my main pieces.

Iā€™m taking the macabi I cut as a bonus or for the days when Iā€™m doing all my laundry since it weighs very little.

I bought the Voormi River Run based on this review, and I loved it for sun and wind on the Caminho PortuguĆŖs. Expensive, but I wear the heck out of it, even at home. Because itā€™s so good, Iā€™m tempted to try one of their skirts (regular or mesh).
Wow - they have a lot of interesting items including tech/wool T's that weigh 3 ounces! Thanks for posting that link. I had never heard of them before.

Wow - they have a lot of interesting items including tech/wool T's that weigh 3 ounces! Thanks for posting that link. I had never heard of them before.
You're quite welcome! Note that the UL (ultralight) fabric is a blend--not 100% merino. Voormi has about a half-dozen proprietary textile blends. You can find details about all of them here. One is actually blended with cotton (!), which I normally wouldn't consider for hiking. For some reason, the blend makes it perform. (I actually wore the shirt before reading the blend information, and I was shocked. Would never have known!)

You're quite welcome! Note that the UL (ultralight) fabric is a blend--not 100% merino. Voormi has about a half-dozen proprietary textile blends. You can find details about all of them here. One is actually blended with cotton (!), which I normally wouldn't consider for hiking. For some reason, the blend makes it perform. (I actually wore the shirt before reading the blend information, and I was shocked. Would never have known!)
I wish that I could buy some of their fabric to sew myself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
While I'm geeking out on fabric performance and weight, I would like to mention another cottage brand that I recently found. Appalachian Gear Company makes the hoodie I'm wearing at this moment, and it's fabulous--warm, lightweight, and wears many times before it needs washing. They sell out super quickly, so you have to be patient if you want a particular color. More about alpaca vs merino here. Ok. I'm finished. Sorry if I co-opted the thread about skirts!

I have a couple of purple rain skirts and I just wear them with biker shorts for the chubrub. Having separate short / skirt combo seems more practical to me
1) coverage when taking care of business
2) ease of washing - you dont have to wash the skirt as often as you'd probably want to wash the shorts
3) length options - skorts tend to be relatively short (I have long legs) and I prefer that bit longer, so it's easy to find skirts of different length that skorts.
3) warmth - you can wear leggings if it's getting a bit nippy with shorts

ā‚¬46,-
I have a couple of purple rain skirts and I just wear them with biker shorts for the chubrub.
Okay, purple rain skirt questions:
  1. Do your hips look like chipmunks when you have things in your pockets?
  2. How is the waist band? Does it continue to hold the skirt in place if you lose weight in Spain (and possibly gain weight in France)?
Thanks!

2. How is the waist band? Does it continue to hold the skirt in place if you lose weight in Spain (and possibly gain weight in France)?
Thanks!
Pockets: It depends what you put in there. :) A map, a few dollars/euros, and my phone are fine. When Iā€™m backpacking in the wilderness, I fill them up with gloves and all sorts of things. The marmots (and chippies!) donā€™t care what I look like.

Waistband: The stretchy, wide waistband is very forgiving. My weight fluctuates quite a bit, and the PR skirts always work for me. (I canā€™t say that for hiking skirts Iā€™ve purchased at major retailers.) You can comfortably wear the PR skirts anywhere between your waist and your hips, so they just ā€œrideā€ wherever works best at your current weight. Size up if youā€™re in-between so that you can add leggings or if you want extra length.

Note that these skirts were designed for long distance hikers (PCT, AT, CDT, etc.) If youā€™re walking for 2 to 6 months, your weight can drop significantly. I havenā€™t heard anyone complain that the skirt didnā€™t work for them. However, just write to Mandy with any concerns. Sheā€™s very responsive (and sews most of the skirts herself). Tell her Jill in San Francisco says hello!

Thanks!

The pockets don't hold as much as the macabi pockets do. They lay right on your hips so its best for flatt-ish things like your passport. Its an interesting two layer design that makes the inner pocket a bit more secure.

The waist band is like those wide ones on yoga pants, which I quite like. But per their web site, it is meant to be worn at the upper hip/below the belly button, not at the natural waist. I find that when I'm wearing the pack hip strap my skirt tends to inch up closer to my natural waist, and because of my height, it becomes uncomfortably short. I have fluctuated significantly in weight in this skirt (I lost a lot of weight before the pandemic) and I didn't need a smaller skirt. It stretches to fit wide hips and it doesnt slip down when you lose weight. If you're not 6 ft tall with a 36 inch inseam, it's a great skirt. I think they take special orders but I already had a macabi to cut so it wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks!
I donā€™t tend to put much in the pockets, hankie and phone is about all but then who really cares if youā€™re looking chipmonkish šŸ˜€?
as the others have said, the waist band is yoga pant style and the main material is quite stretch and VERY forgiving so weight loss/gain is no problem. The material is quick drying so if you do get caught it the rain itā€™ll be dry in no time.
lengthwise - Iā€™m 5ft 9 / 176cm and they come to just above the knee on me but this is variable depending on how high you wear it on your waist. This seems to be a bit longer than most skorts but you can always wear Capri leggings underneath if youā€™re iffy about the length.
as Jill___a mentioned, you can get custom made skirts if you want something a bit longer or are a bit fluffier than their very generous xxl which fits UK size 20
in summary - theyā€™re ace and I love mine. i walked the coast to coast in the UK in mine and I was possibly referred to as ā€™the fat girl in a skirtā€™ but I was comfortable so who cares šŸ˜€

Has any one used the ziphers shorts / leggings under skirts (or on their own). Theyā€™re supposed to make ā€˜watering the bushesā€˜ easier with less exposure

Has any one used the ziphers shorts / leggings under skirts (or on their own). Theyā€™re supposed to make ā€˜watering the bushesā€˜ easier with less exposure
Oooh, zip hers looks promising!

Lady Hikes makes snap panties that I really want to try out as well as hiking skirts and dresses. Actually, they have a lot of things that I'd like to try out.

Thanks for your recommendations! I used to weigh 50# more and I'm sure I was referred to as the fat lady in the skirt when I marathoned. I'm still the fat lady in a skirt and I wear that with pride. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.