• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in april and may

sharon1

Hi, I am starting to plan for a walk in April and May next year. As I need to buy a new sleeping bag can anyone tell me how cold does it get in the alberques at night. What rating sleeping bag do I need? thanks for any help
sharon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The rating of a sleeping bag that you need will be influenced by you being a cold or a warm sleeper. If you are usually cold at night, as I am, I chose a bag good to +3 or +5 C. If you are warm at night you can be comfortable in a bag good to +5 or +7 C. But remember that there are lots of options...
Most albergues have extra blankets so if you think you will be cold, grab a blanket. Or, you can sleep with your socks on, or in your extra clothes.

I have walked the Via de la Plata and the Camino Frances in April / May and found that the temperature in the albergues varies with the elevation as well as the weather. Roncesvalles, O'Cebreiro and San Juan de Ortega are at quite high elevation and were the coolest. Other nights, it was so warm that I slept with my sleeping bag half unzipped.

Enjoy your year of preparation,
And try not to fuss about the details.
everything will work out fine.

David, Victoria, Canada

HI Sharon, I think skilsaws comments are very good. I walked the Camino Frances from early May in 2006 and had a lightweight down sleeping bag which weighed 800 grams. I think I am average in my heat requirements at night and I found it more than adequate, sometimes/often even too warm and I slept with it open and my legs hanging out. People are obsessed with closing windows in the albergues at night, even when very hot. It was stifling at times. I would get up and open a window slightly and minutes later somebody closed it again. This time for my September walk on the Le Puy route I am taking an even lighter bag, a Roman Palm 1, which weighs 500 grams and does for temps down to 8 degrees. Regards, Gitti

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually I was looking at the Roman Palm 1 bag. Do you think that would be suitable. I am quite a warm person (don't use electric blanket, etc).

Hi

Just a suggestion. Rather than taking a sleeping bag adequate for any low temperature you might encounter remember you can always wear clothes like your fleece or thermal underwear to bed as necessary to help you keep warm.

John

I walked from Le Puy in late April and took the lightest down bag I could find (Xero 250: 25degree to 0 degrees and weighing 600g) and would have been better off with just a silk or cotton liner as most of the hostels have blankets and in Spain it was too hot to ever zip up the bag so I just lay on top of it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back