• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in April

Kelly Catlow

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino April 8th 2017 start date - excited much!!!
I depart from SJDP on 8th April 2017 and the albergue in Orisson is not sure of opening at this time

I am worried that many albergues will be closed or the weather will be really bad

I am coming form NZ and it's been on my bucket list for years

I am a solo woman traveller and looking to see if others have walked the Camino at this time and could offer me reassurance or advice

Thanks you
Kelly

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That early in April the Route Napoleon may still be closed, which would mean that Orisson would be closed too. If so you would have to take the lower route through Valcarlos, in which you could spend the night if you don't want to walk all the way through to Roncesvalles in one day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If the weather is really bad ... take the train from SJPdP to Bayonne. Take the train from Bayonne to Irun. Take the bus or the train from Irun to Pamplona. Consider starting your adventure in Pamplona. There is a local bus ~Autocares Artieda~ from Pamplona to Roncesvalles if you want to try starting there.

If the weather is really bad ... take the train from SJPdP to Bayonne. Take the train from Bayonne to Irun. Take the bus or the train from Irun to Pamplona. Consider starting your adventure in Pamplona. There is a local bus ~Autocares Artieda~ from Pamplona to Roncesvalles if you want to try starting there.
Thank you but I really want to walk the entire thing if possible but appreciate you taking the time to reply

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kelly,

This year the pass was closed till late in May. In July I have experienced cold mornings in the Meseta where it normally should be nearer to 40C. A few days ago people were walking in snow into O'cebreiro. Fortunately we can't control the weather.
A number of albergues, especially the albergues municipal will be open all year round. On this website you find information on albergues, hostal etc. Some do mention opening dates. http://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

I would imagine April being a wonderful (spring) time to walk the Camino Frances. Just have faith of where and when to stay, its one of those experiences of the Camino.

Buen Camino

Hi Kelly,

This year the pass was closed till late in May. In July I have experienced cold mornings in the Meseta where it normally should be nearer to 40C. A few days ago people were walking in snow into O'cebreiro. Fortunately we can't control the weather.
A number of albergues, especially the albergues municipal will be open all year round. On this website you find information on albergues, hostal etc. Some do mention opening dates. http://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

I would imagine April being a wonderful (spring) time to walk the Camino Frances. Just have faith of where and when to stay, its one of those experiences of the Camino.

Buen Camino
Oh my goodness, thank you so much a that makes me feel truely great!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kelly,

I started in SJPdP on April 14, 2016. When we arrived on the 13th the Napoleon route was closed but that evening they opened it and we were able to walk to Orisson on the 14th (I hear it was closed again some days later.) Whether you walk the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos route you can have a wonderful Camino. Just know that you may not know ahead of time which route you will take and be prepared to be flexible. I would also suggest that you be prepared for some cold weather and rain. We even walked in a snow storm on May 12th to Cruz de Fero. I will say that despite the cold and rain it is a beautiful time of year to walk and very different from my fall Camino. There were lots of pilgrims and I made a lovely Camino family. Also, we did not encounter any albergues that were not open. Sometimes they were completo, especially in Zubiri, Los Arcos, Carrion de Los Condes, and Ledigos. This usually happens before or after a long and/or difficult stage.

Buen Camino,
Susan Peacock

Kelly,

I started in SJPdP on April 14, 2016. When we arrived on the 13th the Napoleon route was closed but that evening they opened it and we were able to walk to Orisson on the 14th (I hear it was closed again some days later.) Whether you walk the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos route you can have a wonderful Camino. Just know that you may not know ahead of time which route you will take and be prepared to be flexible. I would also suggest that you be prepared for some cold weather and rain. We even walked in a snow storm on May 12th to Cruz de Fero. I will say that despite the cold and rain it is a beautiful time of year to walk and very different from my fall Camino. There were lots of pilgrims and I made a lovely Camino family. Also, we did not encounter any albergues that were not open. Sometimes they were completo, especially in Zubiri, Los Arcos, Carrion de Los Condes, and Ledigos. This usually happens before or after a long and/or difficult stage.

Buen Camino,
Susan Peacock
Thank you Susan for your response. I now feel a lot better - I was starting to think I had made a mistake in going in April but you have restored my excitement . It's been a dream for a few years now and to think I am going to fulfill it, albeit as a solo traveller, is unbelievable.

T
That early in April the Route Napoleon may still be closed, which would mean that Orisson would be closed too. If so you would have to take the lower route through Valcarlos, in which you could spend the night if you don't want to walk all the way through to Roncesvalles in one day.
Thank you for responding x

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thab
Hi Kelly,

Buen Camino
Thank you so much Iwik , I appreciate your response x

My wife and I walked last md-April starting SJPDP. We walk the Valcarlos the first day to Roncesvalles the first day in the snow. Once going down the mountain the following day we had no problems finding Albergues that were open. There many people walking and to walk with. We arrived in Santiago on March 20 and it was a great pilgrimage. We had lots of foul weather but were prepared for it.
Buen Camino

I depart from SJDP on 8th April 2017 and the albergue in Orisson is not sure of opening at this time

I am worried that many albergues will be closed or the weather will be really bad

I am a solo woman traveller and looking to see if others have walked the Camino at this time and could offer me reassurance or advice

Thanks you
Kelly
My son and I walked from Leon to Santiago in late March and early April, over Holy Week, in 2015, and we walked from SJPP to Burgos in late April early May in 2016. In 2015 we found that a number of albergues were not open until after Easter, but many were open. Napoleon's pass was open for us in late April (2016), though there was snow on sides of the pathways, and sleet and fog. -- I met a number of solo women who were having good caminos, and were happy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thanks you
Kelly
No worries just pack rain gear & a fleece jacket & off you go. It is a very good time to go. We can never predict weather, I chose April after watching & looking at the historical patterns, it was wonderful. If anything it was much warmer than expected.
Buen Camino
Keith

No worries just pack rain gear & a fleece jacket & off you go. It is a very good time to go. We can never predict weather, I chose April after watching & looking at the historical patterns, it was wonderful. If anything it was much warmer than expected.
Buen Camino
Keith
Thank you Keith xx

Kelly, interestingly enough we started from SJPP on April 8th this year.

The Napoleon route was closed, so we had to go on the Val Carlos route and we still had heavy snow the last 2 hours into Roncesvalles. Was not that cold, only down around +2C.

The next day out of Roncessvales, a little more snow and rain, but the time we got to Zubiri, the weather was fine. And really no big weather issues for the balance, just a few showers.

Although April can be wetter, the advantage is you do not get the scorching heat like July to early September. It was very hot this year and I would much rather walk in 12 to 20C weather than 35 to 40 C weather.

Dressing for cold is easy, not as much as when it is blazing hot.

As far as accomodations, absolutely no issues on any nights at all. Another advantage of April is you are walking in the shoulder season so no competition for a place to stay.

So bottom line, April is a good time to start.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1473608958130.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473608958130.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 11
We started in SJPdP on April 4, 2014. The Napoleon route had just opened 2 days earlier. Orrison is open at that time of year and should take a reservation for you (they are sometimes hard to get in touch with, takes patience). If the Napoleon route is closed, the staff at Orrison will actually drive you to the equivalent location on the Val Carlos Route. In addition, if the Napoleon route is open but there is still snow on the ground (like we had in 2014), a staff/owner will actually walk with you over the mountains until you are at the descent to Roncevalles, so that you will not get lost in the snow. We loved our April walk!!! But as others have said, we don't control the weather. In our walk we only had rain about 4-5 days. In the summer that year there was much rain. Just be prepared for weather variations and you'll be good.

Kelly, interestingly enough we started from SJPP on April 8th this year.

The Napoleon route was closed, so we had to go on the Val Carlos route and we still had heavy snow the last 2 hours into Roncesvalles. Was not that cold, only down around +2C.

The next day out of Roncessvales, a little more snow and rain, but the time we got to Zubiri, the weather was fine. And really no big weather issues for the balance, just a few showers.

Although April can be wetter, the advantage is you do not get the scorching heat like July to early September. It was very hot this year and I would much rather walk in 12 to 20C weather than 35 to 40 C weather.

Dressing for cold is easy, not as much as when it is blazing hot.

As far as accomodations, absolutely no issues on any nights at all. Another advantage of April is you are walking in the shoulder season so no competition for a place to stay.

So bottom line, April is a good time to start.
Thank you so much for replying. A couple of questions for you if you don't mind: Did you take hiking poles and did you take gloves? Seems silly questions but trying to prepare myself. I have not walked using poles before but thinking if its wet and slippery it may assist. Or will a stick do? I just want to take carry on luggage and not sure if you can take hiking piles on. Theee are mixed reviews . I have been worried by a few posts saying how wet April is :)

We started in SJPdP on April 4, 2014. The Napoleon route had just opened 2 days earlier. Orrison is open at that time of year and should take a reservation for you (they are sometimes hard to get in touch with, takes patience). If the Napoleon route is closed, the staff at Orrison will actually drive you to the equivalent location on the Val Carlos Route. In addition, if the Napoleon route is open but there is still snow on the ground (like we had in 2014), a staff/owner will actually walk with you over the mountains until you are at the descent to Roncevalles, so that you will not get lost in the snow. We loved our April walk!!! But as others have said, we don't control the weather. In our walk we only had rain about 4-5 days. In the summer that year there was much rain. Just be prepared for weather variations and you'll be good.[/QUOTE
Thank you so much - I feel that the key is to be flexible with my plans from what others are saying. I'm so excited . I guess I am now just wondering how much gear to take as people are mentioning bad weather -is it cold though? Do you need thermal tops or just a fleece be ok?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for replying. A couple of questions for you if you don't mind: Did you take hiking poles and did you take gloves? Seems silly questions but trying to prepare myself. I have not walked using poles before but thinking if its wet and slippery it may assist. Or will a stick do? I just want to take carry on luggage and not sure if you can take hiking piles on. Theee are mixed reviews . I have been worried by a few posts saying how wet April is :)

Kelly, both my wife and I took trekking poles and gloves. We needed gloves on most mornings, but were able to shed in most cases by mid morning each day.
We have checked our back packs on all three of our Camino's and have had no lost back pack issues.
We do have light weight nylon over bags we use to cover our back packs.
Some buy poles once they get to SJPP which is a other option. I bought higher end carbon fibre poles and love them. Super light and strong and I like they have a bit of spring in them.
Definitely plan using trekking poles (2) not a single staff. They help immensely going up and down hill and in wet conditions.
If you buy them before you go, practice with them and look up a few videos in You Tube which will give you trekking pole use 101.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1468944467720.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468944467720.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
Kelly:
Take the poles! They aren't necessary all the time, but I consider them almost essential at times. I, too, walked from SJPDP in late March. It was good. I plan to walk it again, beginning about April 5. I hope to see you there! The replies give good information. Take gloves, too! Enjoy, JP

Thanks you
Kelly
Hi Kelly

Thanks you
Kelly

Hi Kelly, I am also from NZ and walking in April on my own for the first time. I also have the same concerns , so am interested ro read the replies.
Hopefully we will catch up along the way.
Take Care Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kelly

Hi Kelly, I am also from NZ and walking in April on my own for the first time. I also have the same concerns , so am interested ro read the replies.
Take Care Jo
Awesome - have a great trip and hopefully our paths meet at some stage

Kelly, both my wife and I took trekking poles and gloves. We needed gloves on most mornings, but were able to shed in most cases by mid morning each day.
We have checked our back packs on all three of our Camino's and have had no lost back pack issues.
We do have light weight nylon over bags we use to cover our back packs.
Some buy poles once they get to SJPP which is a other option. I bought higher end carbon fibre poles and love them. Super light and strong and I like they have a bit of spring in them.
Definitely plan using trekking poles (2) not a single staff. They help immensely going up and down hill and in wet conditions.
If you buy them before you go, practice with them and look up a few videos in You Tube which will give you trekking pole use 101.
Thanks again!! What brand did you get? And would you recommend a light weight glove or full on waterproof - i see some hiking poles have neopreeen covers to keep your hands dry but I'm also conscious of how much gear I take

Hi Kelly,

Buen Camino

Why would you say this? The weather could be perfect. In 2010 and 2011 we crossed the pass on March 23rd.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks you
Kelly

Kelly:

I would not worry about the weather.

The Napoleon route now opens on April 1st, weather permitting. If it is closed the Valcarlos route will be open.

Most Albergues are open by April 1st so accommodation should not be an issue.

There should be plenty of other Pilgrims at this time so you will not be alone. Pack light, start slowly and let the Camino be your guide.

All will be fine.

Ultreya,
Joe

Why would you say this? The weather could be perfect. In 2010 and 2011 we crossed the pass on March 23rd.
Pass is now officially closed until April 1st each year and after that is weather dependent.
Nothing physically stopping you from taking the route, but if you need to get rescued, you now pay the full shot now which can be 6000 to 10,000 Euro's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again!! What brand did you get? And would you recommend a light weight glove or full on waterproof - i see some hiking poles have neopreeen covers to keep your hands dry but I'm also conscious of how much gear I take

Kelly, my wife and I have poles made by Komperdell. Evidently they have poles tailored for the ladies, grip sizes may be a little smaller in accordance for smaller hands.
Many good brands, but carbon fiber are nice as they are so light. I actually use my poles almost 100% of the time I walking except going through larger towns and cities.
We saw a lot of walkers we met on multiple days that never had their poles off their back packs ever, which we thought was strange.
As far as gloves, we had some made by Head. Basically ski gloves insulated with Thinsulate. Very warm, but very light as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kelly,

Buen Camino,
Susan Peacock

Kelly, I also started in April 2016 from SJPdP. On April 20. Stayed at Orisson that evening. The pass was open, although I heard that it had been closed the week before, and then was closed again the week after. What is wonderful is that can go and see how the weather is once you get there...then take whichever route is available. Only trick to that is that you really do need advance reservations at Orisson. If they make them available for your date then go ahead and reserve (this year I had to pay 1/2 what was due, to reserve, no refunds). THEN, if the pass is closed, you may just need to give up that deposit and take the Valcarlos route. For me, it was worth my peace of mind to have the reservation at Orisson.
BTW, check out the FB page Camigas (for Camino Amigas), a support system for women walking the Camino on their own. They are fabulous and can connect you with other Camigas who are going at the same time as you are. Buen Camino!

Hi Kelly,I'm also coming from NZ & also walking solo starting sjpdp probably April 10th. I don't mind which route, but want to make Roncvalles in one day. I like you never used poles before so am interested in others opinions. I'm thinking they would be very helpful if muddy. my delemmer at the moment is whether a sleeping bag or not. hope fully I may met you along the way :)

Hi Kelly,I'm also coming from NZ & also walking solo starting sjpdp probably April 10th. I don't mind which route, but want to make Roncvalles in one day. I like you never used poles before so am interested in others opinions. I'm thinking they would be very helpful if muddy. my delemmer at the moment is whether a sleeping bag or not. hope fully I may met you along the way :)
Hi Kendal
Where in NZ are you ?? I'm in ChCh. I have been told April/May you definitely need sleeping bag , and I'm thinking of looking into poles now - everyone says yes, and I can sure understand how helpful they would be if muddy and steep - I don't want to fall early on in the peace!!
Hope to meet you - how many days are you planning on completing it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your email - I have become a friend of the page and already see that another lady is departing SJDP on the same day as me :)
Thank you x

Kelly, my wife and I have poles made by Komperdell. Evidently they have poles tailored for the ladies, grip sizes may be a little smaller in accordance for smaller hands.
Many good brands, but carbon fiber are nice as they are so light. I actually use my poles almost 100% of the time I walking except going through larger towns and cities.
We saw a lot of walkers we met on multiple days that never had their poles off their back packs ever, which we thought was strange.
As far as gloves, we had some made by Head. Basically ski gloves insulated with Thinsulate. Very warm, but very light as well.
thank you - all handy tips xx

Kelly:

I would not worry about the weather.

The Napoleon route now opens on April 1st, weather permitting. If it is closed the Valcarlos route will be open.

Most Albergues are open by April 1st so accommodation should not be an issue.

There should be plenty of other Pilgrims at this time so you will not be alone. Pack light, start slowly and let the Camino be your guide.

All will be fine.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you Joe x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kelly:
Take the poles! They aren't necessary all the time, but I consider them almost essential at times. I, too, walked from SJPDP in late March. It was good. I plan to walk it again, beginning about April 5. I hope to see you there! The replies give good information. Take gloves, too! Enjoy, JP
Thank you - gosh everyone is so helpful!!!

As one solo female walker to another enjoy your camino. Take poles and gloves you will need them. You will find yourself feeling very safe, protected, and rarely alone. One time in a small albergue in a tiny town I slept in front room near front door while the guys, around four, slept in back. During the middle of the night I awakened to discover one of the guys had taken the bunk between me and the door. The chivalry of males associated with pilgrimage whether clergy, hospitaleros, or pilgrims never ceased to amaze me.

Hi Kelly, I live in Oamaru (small world) I have given myself 35 days. I have had a fractured ankle plus injured knees so yeah I think poles will be worth it to save a fall also. kind of think I'm used to the cold so if layer up at night might get away with a fleece blanket. just want to go as light as poss with my pack. I'm coming to chch this week to look at Aarn packs..seem like a great pack to take...nice to met you. :)

Hi Kelly, I live in Oamaru (small world) I have given myself 35 days. I have had a fractured ankle plus injured knees so yeah I think poles will be worth it to save a fall also. kind of think I'm used to the cold so if layer up at night might get away with a fleece blanket. just want to go as light as poss with my pack. I'm coming to chch this week to look at Aarn packs..seem like a great pack to take...nice to met you. :)
I bought my pack last week from torpedo - tempest I think by memory - but just get one you're happy with - happy shopping!

As one solo female walker to another enjoy your camino. Take poles and gloves you will need them. You will find yourself feeling very safe, protected, and rarely alone. One time in a small albergue in a tiny town I slept in front room near front door while the guys, around four, slept in back. During the middle of the night I awakened to discover one of the guys had taken the bunk between me and the door. The chivalry of males associated with pilgrimage whether clergy, hospitaleros, or pilgrims never ceased to amaze me.

Now that is funny!!

HI Kelly. My first Camino was on the CF starting 16 April 2013. The napoleon route was open, but was closed a couple of days before and the following day. We walked in glorious sunshine, and at the top in deep snow. I was so very glad to have my hiking poles and donated one of them to my daughter whilst walking through the snow.
This was my first experience of hiking and I have walked a different camino route each year since. Be prepared to become a camino addict.

Because I didn't want to forget a single moment of my Camino experience (I have a very bad memory) I posted to my blog each day with loads of photos. You are welcome to take a look here.

Since this first experience I have walked as a solo woman and for the most part have felt very safe. You will find people to walk with if you wish. I tend to prefer to walk alone but seek company during the evenings.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HI Kelly. My first Camino was on the CF starting 16 April 2013. The napoleon route was open, but was closed a couple of days before and the following day. We walked in glorious sunshine, and at the top in deep snow. I was so very glad to have my hiking poles and donated one of them to my daughter whilst walking through the snow.
This was my first experience of hiking and I have walked a different camino route each year since. Be prepared to become a camino addict.

Because I didn't want to forget a single moment of my Camino experience (I have a very bad memory) I posted to my blog each day with loads of photos. You are welcome to take a look here.

Since this first experience I have walked as a solo woman and for the most part have felt very safe. You will find people to walk with if you wish. I tend to prefer to walk alone but seek company during the evenings.
Buen Camino!
I am absolutely loving your blog Magwood - thank you - can you tell me how many warm clothes you took with you? whats your thoughts of packing?

I am absolutely loving your blog Magwood - thank you - can you tell me how many warm clothes you took with you? whats your thoughts of packing?

Thanks Kelly. I have just published my latest reviews of clothes and hiking gear which I hope will be useful. You will find a link to my packing list included. I would add that I am relatively strong and know I can carry the weight I choose without any problem. My technology gear adds a considerable amount of weight and most people can do very well without any of these toys. Try and keep your pack as light as possible, whilst being sure of taking sufficient gear for comfort in both very cold and hot weather. Layering is the key. There have been a few very cold occasions when I have worn practically everything at once, peeling off layers as the day warmed up.

Thanks Kelly. I have just published my latest reviews of clothes and hiking gear which I hope will be useful. You will find a link to my packing list included. I would add that I am relatively strong and know I can carry the weight I choose without any problem. My technology gear adds a considerable amount of weight and most people can do very well without any of these toys. Try and keep your pack as light as possible, whilst being sure of taking sufficient gear for comfort in both very cold and hot weather. Layering is the key. There have been a few very cold occasions when I have worn practically everything at once, peeling off layers as the day warmed up.
Awesome - thank you so much!! What glov
one more silly question - did you take a flashlight or a head lamp ? What's best?

did you take a flashlight or a head lamp ? What's best?

I didn't take either, just used the light from my phone which is more than sufficient to find my away around the albergue in the dark. I didn't leave the albergue before it was light in the mornings so I didn't need a torch for walking. Many do take headlights and most use them in the dorm in a very annoying and intrusive way. A little consideration for others goes a long way!

I didn't take either, just used the light from my phone which is more than sufficient to find my away around the albergue in the dark. I didn't leave the albergue before it was light in the mornings so I didn't need a torch for walking. Many do take headlights and most use them in the dorm in a very annoying and intrusive way. A little consideration for others goes a long way!
Fair call. It just seemed that people say they are leaving at ridiculous oclock in the morning. Another silly question and sorry for bugging you so much, but say you go to your albergue and then want to head into the village for a meal, do you leave your camino pack on your bed? or what happens here?

Thanks you
Kelly
My fiancé and i are both kiwis starting a couple of days after you! might see you along the way :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Kelly,
I'm walking the Camino starting in April 2017 as well, a single woman traveller. I'm from the Kapiti Coast. Maybe our paths will cross! I havent booked my flights yet as I have to sort out family/kids etc. I'm taking poles and have been training with them. I wasn't going to take a sleeping bag as plan to stay in mainly privates accomodations but hostels on the odd occasion. I'm trying to pack as little as possible, but after reading some posts to you, maybe I should take that sleeping bad after all! Good luck with your plans and training. :))

Thanks you
Kelly

Hi Rachel
It's exciting isn't it?!
How much training are you doing?
How much do you think we'll need to do prior to going.
With busy lives it makes it hard to find the time but I'm doing 2/3 walks a week and then a longer 4jour walk on a Saturday .
Hopefully this will be enough.
I've also ordered some poles so will start training with them after Xmas.
See you there maybe?!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kelly,

Your training about the same as me so I think we are on the right page. I have had advice to walk lots of downhills too.
I am doing strength training as well as I was quite unfit when I started training (last year) but im sure I'll be ready to go, well fit by April.
I am very excited too and isn't it funny the looks people Give you when you say "oh no one, I'm doing it on my own" haha! They seem sort of shocked! I'm quite happy to walk alone and frankly I prefer it but some company along the way will be good as well.
I think your training well- gosh many people don't train so far out from the start date so we are sweet!
(Example is the movie-six ways to Santiago!)
Best wishes, Rachel

Hi Rachel
It's exciting isn't it?!
With busy lives it makes it hard to find the time but I'm doing 2/3 walks a week and then a longer 4jour walk on a Saturday .
See you there maybe?!

I forgot to ask Kelly, have you booked your flights yet? And are you walking the whole way to Roncevalles or splitting it and staying at orrisson? I'm planning on stopping as I want to pace myself! That's if the route is open that day...:)

Hi Rachel
It's exciting isn't it?!
See you there maybe?!

I also forgot got to say I'm planning on doing some days in a row closer to the time of 2 big walks 1 after the other to get used to day after day of long 4-5 hour walking.
Hi Rachel
It's exciting isn't it?!
See you there maybe?!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fair call. It just seemed that people say they are leaving at ridiculous oclock in the morning. Another silly question and sorry for bugging you so much, but say you go to your albergue and then want to head into the village for a meal, do you leave your camino pack on your bed? or what happens here?

Yes, take all valuables with you, but leave pack behind - not on bed as this is frowned upon, but on a chair or the floor. One year I took an 'S' hook so that I could suspend my pack on the bunk bed frame. I felt quite anxious to begin with leaving my expensive equipment behind, but I got over it soon enough. I've never had anything go missing. One of the few advantages of being a rather mature slightly overweight woman - I don't get much 'product' envy!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, take all valuables with you, but leave pack behind - not on bed as this is frowned upon, but on a chair or the floor. One year I took an 'S' hook so that I could suspend my pack on the bunk bed frame. I felt quite anxious to begin with leaving my expensive equipment behind, but I got over it soon enough. I've never had anything go missing. One of the few advantages of being a rather mature slightly overweight woman - I don't get much 'product' envy!
You are so funny!! Well from one mature woman to another, thanks for replying xx

I also forgot got to say I'm planning on doing some days in a row closer to the time of 2 big walks 1 after the other to get used to day after day of long 4-5 hour walking.
I think I may need new boots before I go if I use them for 4 months first ha ha
Hit yes that's a good idea

I forgot to ask Kelly, have you booked your flights yet? And are you walking the whole way to Roncevalles or splitting it and staying at orrisson? I'm planning on stopping as I want to pace myself! That's if the route is open that day...:)
I have booked my flights. I am travelling from Chch/Singapore thru the day 10am-10pm then overnighting in a hotel there so thinking my sleep pattern will be good. Then spend a day exploring Singapore, and depart from Singapore to Paris at midnight so hopefully sleep on plane after a full on days excursion. Another 10 hour flight I think. Then a day in Paris as need to change airports and catch a flight from Paris to Biarritz and a train to SJDP to get there around 7pm.
I have booked my first night in my own room with a shower To get a good sleep and fresh start.
Orisson may not be open but they said ring the day before and they will know. If open, I plan to walk this way and stay there - start slow is my plan and spend a leisurely morning at SJDP.
If travelling the Varcarlos route still will stop I think (although this route is less strenuous by the sound of it). I don't want to really get up early and be in a panic to get away after long flights.
From what all the lovely people have said, have a plan and be prepared to change.
I planned my flights as best I could thinking about sleep and best chance to arrive without feeling like a bag of bones .

Hi Kelly,

Your training about the same as me so I think we are on the right page. I have had advice to walk lots of downhills too.
I am doing strength training as well as I was quite unfit when I started training (last year) but im sure I'll be ready to go, well fit by April.
I am very excited too and isn't it funny the looks people Give you when you say "oh no one, I'm doing it on my own" haha! They seem sort of shocked! I'm quite happy to walk alone and frankly I prefer it but some company along the way will be good as well.
I think your training well- gosh many people don't train so far out from the start date so we are sweet!
(Example is the movie-six ways to Santiago!)
Best wishes, Rachel

Yes!!!!! People look at me as if I have two heads and then start feeling sorry for me that I'm doing it on my own.
Yes I'd love to be sharing it, but my partner is not in a position to do this (and I don't think he wants to) so away I go!!!!
I'm not 'not doing stuff ' cause I'm on my own - lives too short!!!!!

Kelly,

Take valuables with at all times you can leave pack behind but INSIDE albergue. 2002, I ran into a woman who had left her pack right outside of albergue door on the streets of Pamplona to got get a cup of coffee. Needless to say her pack was stolen. She had enough money to replace everything she then walked a few kms out of Pamplona to stay at private albergue in Cizur Menor where we met. By the time we'd walked to Logrono she had ruminated on theft and reached conclusion. She believed in another life she had been a robber on the camino and this theft was her camino karmic retribution. Stay open to life lessons on camino but, keep those as harmless as possible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kelly,

Take valuables with at all times you can leave pack behind but INSIDE albergue. 2002, I ran into a woman who had left her pack right outside of albergue door on the streets of Pamplona to got get a cup of coffee. Needless to say her pack was stolen. She had enough money to replace everything she then walked a few kms out of Pamplona to stay at private albergue in Cizur Menor where we met. By the time we'd walked to Logrono she had ruminated on theft and reached conclusion. She believed in another life she had been a robber on the camino and this theft was her camino karmic retribution. Stay open to life lessons on camino but, keep those as harmless as possible.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I feel so much more ready in my mind with all my stupid questions . I am so excited now and I still have 4 months to wait!!!

Since I have not responded to the glove question or the pole discussion. I am a bit late in responding yet in my opinion I will not hike without them. I carried 2 sets of gloves a waterproof insulated pair & my nomex gloves from my military days. When it pored rain or snowed the waterproof were another way of staying warm. For clear cold mornings the Nomex were perfect.
Poles keep you from face planting in the mud, keep you stable after a long day & reduce knee pain. They also stop the swollen hands, dogs jumping on you, work great to pin snakes if you want a closer look. I used them to hang wet clothes on as well (tightened inside window) they simply are wonderful on steep slopes going down hill.
Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kelly.
I am from Brazil and will start my first camino on April 14th on SJPP.
I read a lot and was just like you, thinking I had chosen poorly the date but now I think it will be a great time.
The only thing is we need to be ready for anything, snow, cold, rain, but also great views, friendships and challenges.
I decided to buy a trekking pole. They can really help on slippery terrain and also help to spare your knees downhill.
Hope we have a great camino.
If you need any help, I'll be around.

Buen camino.

In April I would definitely be taking a sleeping bag or quilt of some sort. Unless planning to stay exclusively in non-albergue accommodation.

Thanks y

Thanks you
Kelly

I'm starting on the same day! I walked the Camino in the fall of 2015 and took the Napoleon route. If that is closed, I'll simply take the Valcarlos route. Message me if you have any other questions and I hope to meet you in April!! The Camino is a wonderful experience. I can't wait to get back!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Omg that's fantastic
You walked it two years ago and are walking it again?! Wow!!
I am thinking of having a lazy start and only walking half way on the first day so that I can see SJDP - otherwise I'd have to leave real early wouldn't I? What's your thoughts on this?
I'm coming from NZ so it's a big travel to get to the start :)
My other question is do you take a warm jacket like the one you are wearing in your profile pic or not bother? I do have a puffer that is light and rolls up small but open to suggestions of 'must take' items. I'd rather take less but essentials.
I have just bought my poles so will start practicing with these soon - and by the sounds of it I need gloves too - suggestions for gloves are welcome as well
Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in SJDP hopefully.
4 months to go and I am already counting sleeps (but also apprehensive as it will be the first time ever of being on my own)
Thank you.
Kelly x

Hi Kelly.
I am from Brazil and will start my first camino on April 14th on SJPP.
I read a lot and was just like you, thinking I had chosen poorly the date but now I think it will be a great time.
The only thing is we need to be ready for anything, snow, cold, rain, but also great views, friendships and challenges.
I decided to buy a trekking pole. They can really help on slippery terrain and also help to spare your knees downhill.
Hope we have a great camino.
If you need any help, I'll be around.

Buen camino.
Thank you Paula - you will probably catch me up so I look forward to meeting with you hopefully !!
I too have bought poles so will start practicing with these - it's exciting but nerve racking too

Since I have not responded to the glove question or the pole discussion. I am a bit late in responding yet in my opinion I will not hike without them. I carried 2 sets of gloves a waterproof insulated pair & my nomex gloves from my military days. When it pored rain or snowed the waterproof were another way of staying warm. For clear cold mornings the Nomex were perfect.
Poles keep you from face planting in the mud, keep you stable after a long day & reduce knee pain. They also stop the swollen hands, dogs jumping on you, work great to pin snakes if you want a closer look. I used them to hang wet clothes on as well (tightened inside window) they simply are wonderful on steep slopes going down hill.
Keith
Thank you - I somehow missed your reply but thank you - I will look into gloves like you suggest and appreciate you taking the time to write .
I have bought poles after everyone's advice and will start practicing with these soon :)
I do get swollen hands so hopefully this will be answer (and to get rid of my flabby arms that remind me so much that I am my mothers daughter :))

Omg that's fantastic
You walked it two years ago and are walking it again?! Wow!!
I am thinking of having a lazy start and only walking half way on the first day so that I can see SJDP - otherwise I'd have to leave real early wouldn't I? What's your thoughts on this?
I'm coming from NZ so it's a big travel to get to the start :)
My other question is do you take a warm jacket like the one you are wearing in your profile pic or not bother? I do have a puffer that is light and rolls up small but open to suggestions of 'must take' items. I'd rather take less but essentials.
I have just bought my poles so will start practicing with these soon - and by the sounds of it I need gloves too - suggestions for gloves are welcome as well
Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in SJDP hopefully.
4 months to go and I am already counting sleeps (but also apprehensive as it will be the first time ever of being on my own)
Thank you.
Kelly x

Hey! My daughter lives in Madrid, so I'll stay in Madrid for a few days to see her and adjust to the time change. I plan to get into SJPP early in the afternoon, so I can enjoy the town. I've been there twice and it is so charming. Lots of history too. I have walked both the Valcarlos and Napoleon routes. I'm anticipating that the Napoleon will be closed, but I really prefer that route. So...if it's open, I'm going. I started around 8 am and walked straight through to Roncesvalles both times. I love hiking, so I never really considered stopping in Orisson. I think it took me several hours to get there. I stopped for a second breakfast and then went on my way. The views were spectacular.

I won't be taking a down jacket. I really try to keep the weight that I carry to a minimum, so I'll be dressing in layers. Light merino wool long sleeve t-shirt, another long layer over that, then a fleece. If it's windy I have a waterproof, breathable rain jacket that really cuts the wind.

I always hike with poles - can't imagine without them. I didn't take gloves last time and several days I wished I had them in the morning. So I improvised with a pair of socks. I will be taking some light gloves this time!

I loved my buff and will be taking 2 this time. I used it as a headband, a scarf and I loved it at night to block out the snorers!! I just wore it over my earplugs. I also used my headlamp a lot and brought extra batteries with me.

My first night in SJPP I will stay at Beilari. It was the perfect beginning to my camino last time, so I can't imagine starting anywhere else. They will begin taking reservations in February. The rest of the way, I stopped when I needed to. It was such an amazing experience and I can't wait to experience it again.

My email is kathybeno59@gmail.com. Feel free to email me anytime. I love to talk about the Camino. I simply can't get enough of it!!

Hi Kelly & Kendalaz23, My Osprey backpack from Torpedo7 was the best investment. I would recommend to buy one with good hip support. I have seen a lot of people with shoulder/collarbone issues.
Please be aware that not all albergues will provide blankets. I bought an inexpensive lightweight sleeping bag in Europe which I used as a blanket most of the times as my legs didn't wanted to be in a confined space ;-).
I used poles and did find them very useful, even for picking stuff up.
I live near Chch, a fellow solo traveler. Have done the Camino Frances this year (July). Contact me if you would like to meet up to share experience.

Hi Kelly,

I walked from SJPdP to Fisterra this year, starting on April 1st and arriving on May 5th, also as a solo woman .

Regarding clothing, it wasn't nearly as cold as I expected it to be. In the end, the perfect combination was a quick-dry running t-shirt, a lightweight fleece jacket and a very thin running jacket. Even on cold mornings, I was always warm enough by adding a woolen hat and a thin but broad scarf (which could double as a wrap/poncho in the evenings when I needed to wash my jacket).
I definitely recommend take a sleeping bag! Most albergues did provide blankets, but in some cold nights it was nice to have both.

Trekking poles - I didn't make up my mind whether or not to take them until I arrived in SJPdP. I ended up buying a pair there and boy, I was glad I did! Especially on slippery paths downhill, they provide much needed stabilty. What worked really well for me was a pair of fingerless cycling gloves - I got a blister on my palm from the wrist loop and the gloves helped (and were warm enough for me).

As others already said, there's no need to worry about finding an open albergue. Even on days when I didn't arrive until 7:00PM, there was always a bed to be found no problem.

Weather-wise, the first half was mostly cool and perfect for walking (the Napoleon route was closed when I started, but the Valcarlos route really is most lovely - if you take this route, just remember to save some energy for the last part where you go steadily uphill for quite a while), I got a few very wet days in the middle section (no more than 4 or 5 in total though) and towards Galicia, the most beautiful spring/summer weather emerged with some 28°C days so I feel that I got a bit of everything and loved it. Well, maybe I didn't love the day when I was ankle deep in mud and almost swam into Léon quite as much at the time. ;-)

All in all, I think you have chosen the perfect time of year - I loved my spring Camino and would go again at that time of year again without thinking twice! :) Buen Camino and enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thanks you
Kelly
I am starting from SJPP on April 2. Hope to see you along the way!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
you should check with the airlines you travel with regarding poles.If you can't pack them into your rucsac they might not let you take them on board.I have a pair of Leki Treking poles which can be broken down into three segments and stored in rucsac and re assembled easily.You will be able to buy poles in SJPDP.

Hi Kelly,

I walked from SJPdP to Fisterra this year, starting on April 1st and arriving on May 5th, also as a solo woman .

Regarding clothing, it wasn't nearly as cold as I expected it to be. In the end, the perfect combination was a quick-dry running t-shirt, a lightweight fleece jacket and a very thin running jacket. Even on cold mornings, I was always warm enough by adding a woolen hat and a thin but broad scarf (which could double as a wrap/poncho in the evenings when I needed to wash my jacket).
I definitely recommend take a sleeping bag! Most albergues did provide blankets, but in some cold nights it was nice to have both.

Trekking poles - I didn't make up my mind whether or not to take them until I arrived in SJPdP. I ended up buying a pair there and boy, I was glad I did! Especially on slippery paths downhill, they provide much needed stabilty. What worked really well for me was a pair of fingerless cycling gloves - I got a blister on my palm from the wrist loop and the gloves helped (and were warm enough for me).

As others already said, there's no need to worry about finding an open albergue. Even on days when I didn't arrive until 7:00PM, there was always a bed to be found no problem.

Weather-wise, the first half was mostly cool and perfect for walking (the Napoleon route was closed when I started, but the Valcarlos route really is most lovely - if you take this route, just remember to save some energy for the last part where you go steadily uphill for quite a while), I got a few very wet days in the middle section (no more than 4 or 5 in total though) and towards Galicia, the most beautiful spring/summer weather emerged with some 28°C days so I feel that I got a bit of everything and loved it. Well, maybe I didn't love the day when I was ankle deep in mud and almost swam into Léon quite as much at the time. ;-)

All in all, I think you have chosen the perfect time of year - I loved my spring Camino and would go again at that time of year again without thinking twice! :) Buen Camino and enjoy!
Wow - thank you - just what I needed - thank you so much for your reply xxx

you should check with the airlines you travel with regarding poles.If you can't pack them into your rucsac they might not let you take them on board.I have a pair of Leki Treking poles which can be broken down into three segments and stored in rucsac and re assembled easily.You will be able to buy poles in SJPDP.
Thank you
I bought some pacer poles which fold down great - I think I'll just put them in the hold for travel as I don't want to risk being told I can't take them on board!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
did you take a sheet to cover the bed - or do you need this ? i hate the thought of sleeping on yuk mattresses - i have a good sleeping bag and wonder if i should get a liner too? whats your thoughts?

Hey! My daughter lives in Madrid, so I'll stay in Madrid for a few days to see her and adjust to the time change. I plan to get into SJPP early in the afternoon, so I can enjoy the town. I've been there twice and it is so charming. Lots of history too. I have walked both the Valcarlos and Napoleon routes. I'm anticipating that the Napoleon will be closed, but I really prefer that route. So...if it's open, I'm going. I started around 8 am and walked straight through to Roncesvalles both times. I love hiking, so I never really considered stopping in Orisson. I think it took me several hours to get there. I stopped for a second breakfast and then went on my way. The views were spectacular.

I won't be taking a down jacket. I really try to keep the weight that I carry to a minimum, so I'll be dressing in layers. Light merino wool long sleeve t-shirt, another long layer over that, then a fleece. If it's windy I have a waterproof, breathable rain jacket that really cuts the wind.

I always hike with poles - can't imagine without them. I didn't take gloves last time and several days I wished I had them in the morning. So I improvised with a pair of socks. I will be taking some light gloves this time!

I loved my buff and will be taking 2 this time. I used it as a headband, a scarf and I loved it at night to block out the snorers!! I just wore it over my earplugs. I also used my headlamp a lot and brought extra batteries with me.

My first night in SJPP I will stay at Beilari. It was the perfect beginning to my camino last time, so I can't imagine starting anywhere else. They will begin taking reservations in February. The rest of the way, I stopped when I needed to. It was such an amazing experience and I can't wait to experience it again.

My email is kathybeno59@gmail.com. Feel free to email me anytime. I love to talk about the Camino. I simply can't get enough of it!!

hi camino kat - one more question - did you or do you need to take a bed sheet - i hate the thought of bed bugs or dirty mattresses - also i have a good sleeping bag - but do you think i am best to take a liner as well?

€46,-
Hi Kelly & Kendalaz23, My Osprey backpack from Torpedo7 was the best investment. I would recommend to buy one with good hip support. I have seen a lot of people with shoulder/collarbone issues.
Please be aware that not all albergues will provide blankets. I bought an inexpensive lightweight sleeping bag in Europe which I used as a blanket most of the times as my legs didn't wanted to be in a confined space ;-).
I used poles and did find them very useful, even for picking stuff up.
I live near Chch, a fellow solo traveler. Have done the Camino Frances this year (July). Contact me if you would like to meet up to share experience.
hi iwik - did you find the mattresses clean? or did you take a bed sheet or whats your thoughs with this? i have a good sleeping bag but do you think i need a silk liner too?

hi camino kat - one more question - did you or do you need to take a bed sheet - i hate the thought of bed bugs or dirty mattresses - also i have a good sleeping bag - but do you think i am best to take a liner as well?
Hey! I took only a pre-treated liner and brought my own pillowcase as well. I didn't take a sleeping bag last time, but I may take a lightweight one this time. Never had a problem with bed bugs - knock on wood!

I have been busy with the holidays but am finally catching up with Camino news. I have loved reading your posts, Kelly and Kendal! I will also be walking the Camino in April. Until late last night I was planning on a USA departure date of April 8. Now it looks like I am waiting until after Easter. More like April 21 or so. I must admit that I think that I have a commitment phobia! I just can't press the "Buy" on my tickets. Oh, ladies. I am so excited
Hi Kelly,

Very encouraging and realistic weather report for this April traveler. I live in a very hot part of USA and cold weather concerns me. But I am relishing the chance to walk in cool temperatures with the right clothing on.
Solo woman traveling around April 21.
Lynn

I have been busy with the holidays but am finally catching up with Camino news. I have loved reading your posts, Kelly and Kendal! I will also be walking the Camino in April. Until late last night I was planning on a USA departure date of April 8. Now it looks like I am waiting until after Easter. More like April 21 or so. I must admit that I think that I have a commitment phobia! I just can't press the "Buy" on my tickets. Oh, ladies. I am so excited
Hi Lynn
Do it :)
I can't believe I'll be starting in three months time - very nervous but ever so excited at the same time!!
I read once that your Camino journey starts the moment you start planning it, and I firmly believe this.
If you decide to go with your original date, I'll see you there :)
Buen Camino Fellow Camiga xx

Hi Kelly

Take Care Jo

Hi Jo and Kelly
I am also from NZ and plan to walk in April, on my own and for the first time! Hope to see you both!
Janine

Would be great to meet up - what dates are you leaving SJDP ? And how many days are you giving yourself??

Would be great to meet up - what dates are you leaving SJDP ? And how many days are you giving yourself??

Hi Kelly
You are from ChCh? I am originally from there also. But now living in Copenhagen, Denmark, and will be travelling from there.

I unexpectedly got made redundant 2 weeks before Xmas and have just decided over Xmas/NY to do this, and so am a bit late in all my planning etc. Haven't decided for sure when I will start, but thinking it will be a week ahead of you - on 1 April. I was even thinking a week before that on 25 March. But as some accommodation may be closed in March, now looking at April. As I say, still in the planning stage!!! Arrrghhhh. I hope I haven't left it too late!

I thought I was going to give myself 35 days. But now wondering if I should allow some rest days ... so maybe it would be 41. But I'm not sure about that yet. At least 35 days.

I was also thinking of having a bag transported and just carrying a day pack. I hear the Spanish postal service offers a reliance service for not very much. But, again, I may yet reconsider this and carry my own bag afterall.

I am just a little concerned about my fitness level to be carrying my own bag. I am relatively fit but will really need to up the training from here on in!!! :)

Hi Kelly
You are from ChCh? I am originally from there also. But now living in Copenhagen, Denmark, and will be travelling from there.

I unexpectedly got made redundant 2 weeks before Xmas and have just decided over Xmas/NY to do this, and so am a bit late in all my planning etc. Haven't decided for sure when I will start, but thinking it will be a week ahead of you - on 1 April. I was even thinking a week before that on 25 March. But as some accommodation may be closed in March, now looking at April. As I say, still in the planning stage!!! Arrrghhhh. I hope I haven't left it too late!

I thought I was going to give myself 35 days. But now wondering if I should allow some rest days ... so maybe it would be 41. But I'm not sure about that yet. At least 35 days.

I was also thinking of having a bag transported and just carrying a day pack. I hear the Spanish postal service offers a reliance service for not very much. But, again, I may yet reconsider this and carry my own bag afterall.

I am just a little concerned about my fitness level to be carrying my own bag. I am relatively fit but will really need to up the training from here on in!!! :)
You haven't left it too late
Just book your flight and then start planning
I'm not booking anything apart from my flight in and my flight home
I also am giving 35 days but have flexibility of another 5 if needed
It seems to be the perfect time for you !!

You walked exactly the schedule that I am planning for 2017! I hope that I am blessed with such beautiful weather, too; however, I am "mr. flexibility" and enjoy trekking no matter what the weather. Thank you for your summary though . . . .it helped a lot.

You walked exactly the schedule that I am planning for 2017! I hope that I am blessed with such beautiful weather, too; however, I am "mr. flexibility" and enjoy trekking no matter what the weather. Thank you for your summary though . . . .it helped a lot.
Are you walking the same dates as me?
I love your profile picture :)

Hi Jo and Kelly
I am also from NZ and plan to walk in April, on my own and for the first time! Hope to see you both!
Janine
Hi Janine. Great to hear. I am from Wanaka. What part of NZ do you live. I am leaving for Europe in Feb, so just finalising last minute details. Just trying to decide how to get from Barcelona to St Jean. Also nursing a foot injury so fingers crossed it will be ok by April.
Sounds as though there will be a few Kiwis walking at that time. Should catch up somewhere along the way.
Take Care Jo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You haven't left it too late
Just book your flight and then start planning
I'm not booking anything apart from my flight in and my flight home
I also am giving 35 days but have flexibility of another 5 if needed
It seems to be the perfect time for you !!

Thanks for your encouragement!
Hey what boots are you taking?

Hi Janine. Great to hear. I am from Wanaka. What part of NZ do you live. I am leaving for Europe in Feb, so just finalising last minute details. Just trying to decide how to get from Barcelona to St Jean. Also nursing a foot injury so fingers crossed it will be ok by April.
Sounds as though there will be a few Kiwis walking at that time. Should catch up somewhere along the way.
Take Care Jo

Hi Jo
I'm from ChCh but haven't lived there for many years. Now currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark, so an easy enough trip for me to make it to St Jean! An advantage of living in Eur!
So when do you plan to start in April? I'm thinking 1 April but haven't booked my flights yet. Just about to!
And how long are you giving yourself? I'm giving myself 35 days with 4 extra days, I think.
Really hope that foot gets better! I have my figners crossed for you!
And would love to meet up if our paths cross.
Best
Janine

Hi Kelly

If you live at sea level I would suggest you keep your daily distance to around 23k the first 2 weeks. I walked with a couple of Swedish men who needed the time to get conditioned for altitude. It also made for a no pressure walk as I walked to Finnesterre in 35 days.
Buen Camino
Keith

€46,-
If you live at sea level I would suggest you keep your daily distance to around 23k the first 2 weeks. I walked with a couple of Swedish men who needed the time to get conditioned for altitude. It also made for a no pressure walk as I walked to Finnesterre in 35 days.
Buen Camino
Keith
Hi Keith
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't actually thought about that. I'll certainly bear it in mind.
I did a couple of day hikes in Madeira over Xmas and didn't seem to feel it but I need to compare the heights!!
Best
Janine

Hi Jo
I'm from ChCh but haven't lived there for many years. Now currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark, so an easy enough trip for me to make it to St Jean! An advantage of living in Eur!
So when do you plan to start in April? I'm thinking 1 April but haven't booked my flights yet. Just about to!
And how long are you giving yourself? I'm giving myself 35 days with 4 extra days, I think.
Really hope that foot gets better! I have my figners crossed for you!
And would love to meet up if our paths cross.
Best
Janine
Hi Janine. Great to hear from you. I am leaving Barcelona on the 25th March. By the time I make my way to St Jean and spend a couple of nights there , I wont be too far ahead of you. I hope our paths cross somewhere along the way. Yes , fingers crossed for the foot. I have entered the Paris half marathon on 5th March so hope everything works in my favour. Take Care Jo

Hi Janine. Great to hear from you. I am leaving Barcelona on the 25th March. By the time I make my way to St Jean and spend a couple of nights there , I wont be too far ahead of you. I hope our paths cross somewhere along the way. Yes , fingers crossed for the foot. I have entered the Paris half marathon on 5th March so hope everything works in my favour. Take Care Jo
Hi Jo - lovely to hear from you. You are an active wahine, with a half marathon and the Camino in your sights!!! Good for you. I booked my flights yesterday! Arrrghhhh! So I will arrive in SJPP on 31 March and start walking 1 April. I think I will break the first day to ease myself in and either stay at Orisson or Valcalos depending on the weather and whether Napolean is open. What about you? I really hope we see each other, particularly at the beginning. Bit nervy I'll get lost!! :)
Best Janine

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.