• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in April

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When starting out you will meet others with the same anxiety of "what if" the Camino will give great education & confidence to you about many things. It does help if the anxiety is high to introduce your self & ask if they would want to start out together. It will also be a good way to know those around you. Once you are comfortable in a couple days, the pace determines your "family". Or if you want to walk with them. April is perfect for determining a solitary or social Camino.

Hi Kelly
You are from ChCh? I am originally from there also. But now living in Copenhagen, Denmark, and will be travelling from there.

I unexpectedly got made redundant 2 weeks before Xmas and have just decided over Xmas/NY to do this, and so am a bit late in all my planning etc. Haven't decided for sure when I will start, but thinking it will be a week ahead of you - on 1 April. I was even thinking a week before that on 25 March. But as some accommodation may be closed in March, now looking at April. As I say, still in the planning stage!!! Arrrghhhh. I hope I haven't left it too late!

I thought I was going to give myself 35 days. But now wondering if I should allow some rest days ... so maybe it would be 41. But I'm not sure about that yet. At least 35 days.

I was also thinking of having a bag transported and just carrying a day pack. I hear the Spanish postal service offers a reliance service for not very much. But, again, I may yet reconsider this and carry my own bag afterall.

I am just a little concerned about my fitness level to be carrying my own bag. I am relatively fit but will really need to up the training from here on in!!! :)
Hi Kelly,
I'm a solo female from NZ starting in the 18th April from St pied de Port. Good luck with your walk :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Jo - lovely to hear from you. You are an active wahine, with a half marathon and the Camino in your sights!!! Good for you. I booked my flights yesterday! Arrrghhhh! So I will arrive in SJPP on 31 March and start walking 1 April. I think I will break the first day to ease myself in and either stay at Orisson or Valcalos depending on the weather and whether Napolean is open. What about you? I really hope we see each other, particularly at the beginning. Bit nervy I'll get lost!! :)
Best Janine
Ji Janine,
LOL... yes also concerned about my navigation skills. I'm also hoping to do the Napolean route. Weather permitting. Not sure how far i will go the first day but may have to break it up , given my foot issues.
Where do you fly into .?? I'm finding it a bit of a challenge finding the quickest easiest route from Barcelona.
Take Care Jo

@Jo briggs if you are planning to walk the Route Napoleon, and you think you will need to break it up, then you need to make a booking at Orisson. It only has 28 beds, and those fill rapidly.

From Barcelona I would take the train to Pamplona, and the bus from Pamplona to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

@Jo briggs if you are planning to walk the Route Napoleon, and you think you will need to break it up, then you need to make a booking at Orisson. It only has 28 beds, and those fill rapidly.

From Barcelona I would take the train to Pamplona, and the bus from Pamplona to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
Thanks Kanga
I intend to book at Orisson, but I understood it's not open until Feburary for bookings??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ji Janine,
LOL... yes also concerned about my navigation skills. I'm also hoping to do the Napolean route. Weather permitting. Not sure how far i will go the first day but may have to break it up , given my foot issues.
Where do you fly into .?? I'm finding it a bit of a challenge finding the quickest easiest route from Barcelona.
Take Care Jo
Hi Jo
Just saw your message now ...
I'm flying into Biarritz on Thursday 30 March, get in quite late, so will stay overnight there. Then take a train or something to SJPP (haven't quite worked it out yet!) on Friday 31 March and stay there the night and start walking Saturday. I haven't booked anywhere in SJPP yet, have you?
Can you fly from Barcelona to Biarritz?
Aroha Janine

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jo
I'm flying into Biarritz on Thursday 30 March, get in quite late, so will stay overnight there. Then take a train or something to SJPP (haven't quite worked it out yet!) on Friday 31 March and stay there the night and start walking Saturday. I haven't booked anywhere in SJPP yet, have you?
Aroha Janine
For a second, I thought your initials were JFK : )

I will be flying into Paris 10 am, Mar 30. I plan to train to Bayonne and spend the night. I will book with Express Bourricot to go to SJPdP the next day, Mar 31. I will stay at Beilari in SJPdP before starting the Camino on April 1.

FYI, Express Bourricot and Beilari do not take reservations until February. Highly recommend Express Bourricot (reasonable fares & pick up at Biarritz) and Beilari (gîte/albergue). You can look both up on Google or this forum's threads. Looking forward to seeing you and the other pilgrims soon. Buen Camino.

For a second, I thought your initials were JFK : )

I will be flying into Paris 10 am, Mar 30. I plan to train to Bayonne and spend the night. I will book with Express Bourricot to go to SJPdP the next day, Mar 31. I will stay at Beilari in SJPdP before starting the Camino on April 1.

FYI, Express Bourricot and Beilari do not take reservations until February. Highly recommend Express Bourricot (reasonable fares & pick up at Biarritz) and Beilari (gîte/albergue). You can look both up on Google or this forum's threads. Looking forward to seeing you and the other pilgrims soon. Buen Camino.
Oh we have the same dates! Bingo. Sounds great.
And yes, I've read about both Express Bourricot and Beilari on this forum and intended to dig them out ... but now you've done it for me! Many thanks!

JKF ... I'm not gun-shy :)

Hi Jo
Aroha Janine
Hi Janine, I have booked a flight from Barcelona on the 25th , I have to overnight in Madrid then on to Biarritz. I have googled the Express Bouricot taxi service. Looks like the easiest option to get to get to St Jean. I am also also going to book accommodation at Beirlari for a couple of night in St Jean before I start. Unfortunately the bookings don't open until the 14th Feb. Exciting times !! Take Care Jo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I depart from SJDP on 8th April 2017 and the albergue in Orisson is not sure of opening at this time

I am worried that many albergues will be closed or the weather will be really bad

I am coming form NZ and it's been on my bucket list for years

I am a solo woman traveller and looking to see if others have walked the Camino at this time and could offer me reassurance or advice

Thanks you
Kelly

Thanks for asking this question Kelly. I am also a solo woman pilgrim starting a few days before you on 1st April so the replies to your question have answered mine !

I am also wondering are BOTH the passes from SJPDP ever closed due to snow and is there a way I can find out in advance. I will be in Paris from 27th March visiting friends so will have internet access. Is there a web site with that kind of information ?

I've not heard of the pass through Valcarlos being closed - it is a road route (although there is a alternative for most of the way - the last section through the beech forest to be avoided in bad weather, stick to the road). The villages along the way are Arnéguy and Valcarlos, the road is the N135. Here is the website for the weather at Ibañeta which will tell you if there is snow: http://www.viewweather.com/w1774073..._de_ibaneta-autonomous_region_of_navarre.html
And I guess, if you are concerned and want to know more, telephone the albergue at Valcarlos - Teléfono: +34 948 79 01 17
(you will need to speak Spanish)
Or the hotel in Arnéguy - Teléfono: +33 524 341 006
Or the pilgrim's office in SJPDP : Telephone 559 370 357

Hi Janine, I have booked a flight from Barcelona on the 25th , I have to overnight in Madrid then on to Biarritz. I have googled the Express Bouricot taxi service. Looks like the easiest option to get to get to St Jean. I am also also going to book accommodation at Beirlari for a couple of night in St Jean before I start. Unfortunately the bookings don't open until the 14th Feb. Exciting times !! Take Care Jo
Hi Jo
I will use the Express Bouricot service to get to SJPP also. And will book at Beilari for my stay in SJPP too, once they open for reservations. That will be the night of 31 March. I emailed Orisson to reserve for the night of 1 April but they replied they don't take reservations at the moment, due to the weather, but to call them the day before to see if they are open. So I will do that. Sounds like you will only be a day or 2 ahead of me??!!
Best Janine

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for asking this question Kelly. I am also a solo woman pilgrim starting a few days before you on 1st April so the replies to your question have answered mine !

I am also wondering are BOTH the passes from SJPDP ever closed due to snow and is there a way I can find out in advance. I will be in Paris from 27th March visiting friends so will have internet access. Is there a web site with that kind of information ?
Hi
I will be starting on 1 April also. And a solo woman pilgrim.
Best Janine

I depart from SJDP on 8th April 2017 and the albergue in Orisson is not sure of opening at this time

I am worried that many albergues will be closed or the weather will be really bad

I am a solo woman traveller and looking to see if others have walked the Camino at this time and could offer me reassurance or advice

Thanks you
Kelly

Hi Kelly, I am also intending to start from SJDP on April 8! So I look forward to seeing you on the path :) I am leaving Sydney April 3rd and will spend a few days in Madrid before making my way to SJDP.

I'm working out the final bits and pieces of my pack as well. I'm trying to decide about walking poles, a friend is going to lend me a pair when I hike Mt Kosciouzko in a couple of weeks just to see if I like walking with them, but the feedback shared on the forum makes me think they'll be a good idea. I still need to get my sleeping bag too, and gloves and maybe a hiking skirt for hot weather reprieve from leggings. So much research, so much fun :)

Janine and Jo, I also have the same plans a you and am a single 64 year old female. Flying to Biarritz on March 31 and starting my walk on April 1. I plan on booking the Bouricot shuttle service to get to SJPP and a bed at Beilari. Waiting until they are available to book. Hope to see you at the shuttle or Beilari if all goes as planned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Janine and Jo, I also have the same plans a you and am a single 64 year old female. Flying to Biarritz on March 31 and starting my walk on April 1. I plan on booking the Bouricot shuttle service to get to SJPP and a bed at Beilari. Waiting until they are available to book. Hope to see you at the shuttle or Beilari if all goes as planned.
Kim, there are 3 of us taking the Express Bouricot taxi service from Biarritz to SJPdP at 11 am on March 31. I believe there's also 1 person taking the Express Bouricot from Biarritz to SJPdP at 1 pm on the same day at the airport. Looking forward to seeing you at Beilari on March 31 and walking on April 1. I will be taking the Valcarlos route. Buen Camino.

Hi Kim, Welcome. You need to book Bouricot in advance also. I emailed them with my detail and they pick up 30min after your flight. It costs 84e .. but the cost is significantly less if they get other passengers to share the cost. I may be a day or two ahead of you but hopefully we will meet up along the way. I leave in two weeks for London... yeh .. Take Care Jo

Hope to see you all at Beilari as my flights gets in later than all of yours. I'll book the shuttle today. Safe travels to all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hope to see you all at Beilari as my flights gets in later than all of yours. I'll book the shuttle today. Safe travels to all.
Hi Kim - hope to see you at Beilari! Exciting to have another person starting the same day!

Hi! I'm walking the Camino in April as well, solo. For the first time in Spain! I only have 2 weeks off so I chose a short distance Leon-Santiago, starting on April 2nd. I hope the route is not empty at that time. :)
I think it's exciting to walk the Camino in April: the spring, no heat, Easter.
I hope to see some of you there!
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone.
The variant for Valcarlos goes parallel to the road. The N135 is an international road between Spain and France.
It is very difficult to close due to bad weather-snow- It can be closed for a few hours with strong storms, until it is cleaned with snow plows.
You have to be very careful when you walk through it with the car traffic. Not many luckily
Buen Camino.

PD.At that time I will begin my seventh Camino
I will start from my house in Zizur.
Maybe we'll meet.

@Mikel Olivares That is only partly true. The Valcarlos route doesn't follow the N135 not the whole time. From SJPdP to Arneguy it follows minor country roads with very little traffic and from there to Valcarlos it is a mix between path (more) and roadside (less) walking. After Valcarlos you do follow the N135 for a few km, but soon you can leave the road agin. I walked it this winter and found it quite safe. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What SY writes is correct. However during 10 caminos using the Valcarlos alternate I always walked up on the left-side verges of the road during fog, heavy rain or snow and never crossed through the wood. The wood in such weather was too slippery with wet leaves/mud or its path hidden by snow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SYates, you're right.
I mean when there is a lot of snow.
In this case it´s better to climb for the road
By the way, it´s snowing right now, in Pamplona area.

Kim, there are 3 of us taking the Express Bouricot taxi service from Biarritz to SJPdP at 11 am on March 31. I believe there's also 1 person taking the Express Bouricot from Biarritz to SJPdP at 1 pm on the same day at the airport. Looking forward to seeing you at Beilari on March 31 and walking on April 1. I will be taking the Valcarlos route. Buen Camino.

I'm thinking of taking the Valcarlos route also. Did you need to book a bed in Valcarlos in advance?

Thanks you
Kelly
Hi Kelly

I hope your planning is going well.
I too will be walking from SJPDP starting on the 12th April. I will also be a solo female walker and it will be my first time.
I have pre booked the orisson as they've stated that they will be open on that date this year. Hopefully it will be open and the weather is fine as my plan is to walk the napoleón route as I've been told the views are breathtaking.
Hopefully we will meet at some point.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kelly

I hope your planning is going well.
I too will be walking from SJPDP starting on the 12th April. I will also be a solo female walker and it will be my first time.
I have pre booked the orisson as they've stated that they will be open on that date this year. Hopefully it will be open and the weather is fine as my plan is to walk the napoleón route as I've been told the views are breathtaking.
Hopefully we will meet at some point.
Awesome!!! Buen Camino - ❤️

Hi Kelly, I am also intending to start from SJDP on April 8! So I look forward to seeing you on the path :) I am leaving Sydney April 3rd and will spend a few days in Madrid before making my way to SJDP.

I'm working out the final bits and pieces of my pack as well. I'm trying to decide about walking poles, a friend is going to lend me a pair when I hike Mt Kosciouzko in a couple of weeks just to see if I like walking with them, but the feedback shared on the forum makes me think they'll be a good idea. I still need to get my sleeping bag too, and gloves and maybe a hiking skirt for hot weather reprieve from leggings. So much research, so much fun :)
Not long now!!! Can't wait to meet and chat - enjoy the planning - see you in SJDP

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.