• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in August?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We started mid-August, 2013. There were few on the calendar on this forum, but there were plenty of people that started that day. Not all pilgrims use this forum. It was not overly crowded, but plenty of people if you want to join someone to start out :) Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi I am starting the camino on the 8th of August with my wife from St JPDP to Santiago so you will definitely not be alone, Their will be lots of pilgrims starting about this time so look out for us and have a chat. Buen Camino Tony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, am I the only one walking in August? What's wrong with August? Starting from St JPDP on 7th and it'd be great if I'm not a solitary wanderer.
I'm sure there will be LOTS of us out there in August. I have a reservation (finally!) in Orrison on August 4th. You won't be far behind me, and trust me, the way I am going to do my Camino, you'll catch up. Hello fellow pilgrim!

We started mid-August, 2013. There were few on the calendar on this forum, but there were plenty of people that started that day. Not all pilgrims use this forum. It was not overly crowded, but plenty of people if you want to join someone to start out :) Buen Camino!!
If they are not using the forum they don't know what they are missing! The information! The photos! The great tips!

As others have mentioned you will be far from alone in August - I believe that it is the busiest month on the Camino! We started from St. Jean at the beginning of August 2 years ago, and on August 5th of this year we will be heading out from Burgos. There's nothing particularly wrong with August but it is very hot and busy. It is also when I close my daycare every year so for us there no choice. On the plus side there is little risk of snow! Have a wonderful trip!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all. I feel better now. This is my first and probably only (Australia is a long way away from the Camino!) trip, so there's a fair bit of anxiety. Hello to Colleen, we look the same vintage so I do hope we meet.

Vintage! I like that! And if we don't meet, Kris, I'm sure you'll hear about the crazy American Lady who's slow as molasses until the dinner bell rings. Australia is a far place, my youngest son went to Bond University in Brisbane, and I only got to see a little of it when I flew down to take care of him when he got sick. Next time I go I want to be the tourist not the mommy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sure there will be LOTS of us out there in August. I have a reservation (finally!) in Orrison on August 4th. You won't be far behind me, and trust me, the way I am going to do my Camino, you'll catch up. Hello fellow pilgrim!

Glad to hear you finally got your reservation at Orrison :) I know you were a bit panicked about that. The rest is easy now :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you finally got your reservation at Orrison :) I know you were a bit panicked about that. The rest is easy now :rolleyes:
I know, right? Why did I get panicky??? I mean, if my Camino was one to teach me patience, or trust, or rolling with the punches....it started early. As for "easy"....I'm going to take your word on that, ManyMiles2Go, but with a grain of salt. And pepper. And wine...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vintage! I like that! And if we don't meet, Kris, I'm sure you'll hear about the crazy American Lady who's slow as molasses until the dinner bell rings. Australia is a far place, my youngest son went to Bond University in Brisbane, and I only got to see a little of it when I flew down to take care of him when he got sick. Next time I go I want to be the tourist not the mommy!
Ooh, did someone mention dinner?

I know, right? Why did I get panicky??? I mean, if my Camino was one to teach me patience, or trust, or rolling with the punches....it started early. As for "easy"....I'm going to take your word on that, ManyMiles2Go, but with a grain of salt. And pepper. And wine...

Definitely the wine :) The food is great, you won't need the salt or pepper :) Have fun !!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, am I the only one walking in August? What's wrong with August? Starting from St JPDP on 7th and it'd be great if I'm not a solitary wanderer.
Hi

I am starting in around the 22 of July. This is my first time. I am 50 and in great shape. I still don't know exactly what to bring. Do I need a sleeping bag? Some say no. anyway. This is quite an adventure ahead!! Can't wait!!,Catherine

I start my Camino on the 4th August from SJPP and have a reservation at Orisson. Burn Camino!

I start my Camino on the 4th August from SJPP and have a reservation at Orisson. Burn Camino!
My reservation at Orrison is for Aug 4th! So I will be your trailblazer, Photobec! Well, at least until you pass me the next day.....Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll see you on the way to Orisson or when we get there Coleen! Buen Camino! Not long to go now....

Becky

We just all hate the thought of one of us doing something that might be fun! or different! or without us!
Seriously, they are the only people i can think of that i would want to walk with.

We just all hate the thought of one of us doing something that might be fun! or different! or without us!
Seriously, they are the only people i can think of that i would want to walk with.
I think it's wonderful you want to walk with your siblings! What memories you will create! Jealous! Just don't outwalk them. Men have feelings too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What is wrong with August? The heat! Other than that you will have a wonderful time.

As for walking with sibblings, i wish I had sibblings to do this with.

If you can understand some French, try to see St-Jacques la Mecque movie. It is somewhat of a comedy, but with quite a bit of tragedy, of what happens to a guided group,who walks the CF. In the group are 3 sibblings who are walkng as a condition to get their inheritence from their mother.

What is wrong with August? The heat! Other than that you will have a wonderful time.

If you can understand some French, try to see St-Jacques la Mecque movie. It is somewhat of a comedy, but with quite a bit of tragedy, of what happens to a guided group,who walks the CF. In the group are 3 sibblings who are walkng as a condition to get their inheritence from their mother.
I will certainly look it up! My french is very poor -even though i was married to a French man for a time.

I will certainly look it up! My french is very poor -even though i was married to a French man for a time.
You'll get the jaist of it: 3 super differnent sibblings, a teen with a crush on another, anti-Arabic racism and a learning difficulty. And all sorts of different ways to love.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Amazon sells the DVD
of Saint Jacques La Mecque in French with English subtitles as well as the original book by Coline Serreau in French.

Last edited:
Hi

I am starting in around the 22 of July. This is my first time. I am 50 and in great shape. I still don't know exactly what to bring. Do I need a sleeping bag? Some say no. anyway. This is quite an adventure ahead!! Can't wait!!,Catherine
im starting on the 24th of july from sjdp and stopping at orisson maybe we will meet on the road

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
heyyy i posted before and you replied saw this thread come up and thought id let you i should be starting out on the 7th too! im booked to fly in on the 5th and like you have my concerns about walking alone im sure ill see you there!

heyyy i posted before and you replied saw this thread come up and thought id let you i should be starting out on the 7th too! im booked to fly in on the 5th and like you have my concerns about walking alone im sure ill see you there!

Wonderful,
see u in SJPP on the 7th.

chelle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Abigail,

Here is link to some SJPdP accommodation possibilties listed on the Gronze site. Citations in brown are pilgrim specific and those in black are for tourists and pilgrims. Several of these can be booked directly through Booking.com.

Good luck and Buen camino!

MM

The moment of truth.... been toying with the idea of doing the Camino for a long time, booked my one way ticket 6 months ago for 13th of August 2015, no pressure,August that's a long way away. Squared it with my wife (sort of) me going AWOL for a month, cool no pressure, just booked my first bed in SJDP , sweating buckets all of a sudden!
What have I gotten myself into? Never too late to try something new ,or never too old to teach an old dog new tricks.

Last edited:
The moment of truth.... been toying with the idea of doing the Camino for a long time, booked my one way ticket 6 months ago for 13th of August 2015, no pressure,August that's a long way away. Squared it with my wife (sort of) me going AWOL for a month, cool no pressure, just booked my first bed in SJDP , sweating buckets all of a sudden!
What have I gotten myself into? Never too late to try something new ,or never to old to teach and old dog new tricks.
Have a great Camino Pádraig. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat.
Buen Camino.

€83,-
Thank you all. I feel better now. This is my first and probably only (Australia is a long way away from the Camino!) trip, so there's a fair bit of anxiety. Hello to Colleen, we look the same vintage so I do hope we meet.
I would be very surprised if it is your one and only Camino. We are also from Australia and that is what we thought. We are now planning our third Camino and this one will be from Lisbon next April. Enjoy your walk, it's a wonderful trip.

Hi Abigail,
How did you go with booking at SJPP, I must investigate also , I have booked at Orisson for the night of the 7th.

Hi chelle!

i did book but haven't received a conformation email yet :/ so ill get on to them today and just make sure that im all booked in! ahh brilliant i was looking into that too! i was curious as whether some places were a no booking policy and just open to prigrims first come first serve?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be starting in Pamplona on the 7th or SJPDP on the 7th or 8th. Is departing SJPDP at 11:30 am too late for a strong hiker used to mountain terrain and elevations gains?

I'll be starting in Pamplona on the 7th or SJPDP on the 7th or 8th. Is departing SJPDP at 11:30 am too late for a strong hiker used to mountain terrain and elevations gains?

Hi, gratfield, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're an experienced hiker, so here are the numbers and it should be easy for you to decide whether it's feasible or not.

(I got these from an old post by JohnnieWalker)
St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles Altitude at departure: 180m/594ft.

On the way Orisson stands at 1095m/3614ft, then further on Col Lepoeder stands at 1430m/4719ft - this is the highest point on this route. There is then the descent to Puerto de Ibaneta and Roncesvalles.

Altitude at arrival: 920m/3036ft.

The toughest part is from St. Jean to Orisson because of the short distance -- 3100 feet elevation gain over about 12 km/ 8 miles.

So you can see that the total elevation gain is 4100 feet or about 1300 meters.

Good luck and buen camino. Laurie

Hi, gratfield, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're an experienced hiker, so here are the numbers and it should be easy for you to decide whether it's feasible or not.

(I got these from an old post by JohnnieWalker)
St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles Altitude at departure: 180m/594ft.

On the way Orisson stands at 1095m/3614ft, then further on Col Lepoeder stands at 1430m/4719ft - this is the highest point on this route. There is then the descent to Puerto de Ibaneta and Roncesvalles.

Altitude at arrival: 920m/3036ft.

The toughest part is from St. Jean to Orisson because of the short distance -- 3100 feet elevation gain over about 12 km/ 8 miles.

So you can see that the total elevation gain is 4100 feet or about 1300 meters.

Good luck and buen camino. Laurie

Thanks. This is helpful. I'm more concerned about the descent and beating the sun into Roncesvalles. I think I'll end up canceling my hostel reservation in Pamplona and catch the 5:30 pm bus (after arriving at 2:40 pm from Madrid) from Pamplona to SJPDP on the 6th.

Thanks. This is helpful. I'm more concerned about the descent and beating the sun into Roncesvalles. I think I'll end up canceling my hostel reservation in Pamplona and catch the 5:30 pm bus (after arriving at 2:40 pm from Madrid) from Pamplona to SJPDP on the 6th.

Sunset in Roncesvalles will be around 9:30 in August, so I don't think daylight would be a problem. But the descent is a killer, and I think you'll be happier starting out early in the morning anyway, especially if Spain remains in the grip of a heat wave. Pamplona is a great city to spend some time in, but if you were going to be jet lagged anyway, IMO it's better to keep on trucking to your destination and get a good night sleep. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, i am starting on 13th in Astorga as i have only 12 days to walk. Dont worry i am sure we will be not alone. :) Buen Camino!

€149,-
My reservation at Orrison is for Aug 4th! So I will be your trailblazer, Photobec! Well, at least until you pass me the next day.....Buen Camino!

Hi Colleen

how are you going with your camino?

Don't forget to get me the photos of John Lennon's lyrics on the side of bins.

Have a great journey and enjoy the pilgrimage.

Would love to hear from you along the Way and how it is all going.

Buen Camino

Ralph (ossiemate)
Australia

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back